West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojotrain
    2nd Team
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

I would agree with that....better stated.
    Now that that's done. Focus on recruiting or kidnapping enough kids to stay where you belong. You ain't DFW, no matter the color of the lipstick. Gold is and always will be West Texas. Black is and always will be West Texas.

Comment

• coriv
      Practice Squad
      • Jun 2015

OA preview of the Bronchos

Comment

• Shady12
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

KIDY San Angelo / KXVA Abilene high school football preview show. They cover all classes but start with the LSWC and finish starting at 29:55 with picks and game match ups they look forward to-

Comment

• The King
          Practice Squad
          • Jul 2015

With 3 of the 4 Playoff Teams going three rounds deep that is a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
            Special Teams
            • May 2015

Originally posted by The King
            With 3 of the 4 Playoff Teams going three rounds deep that is a step in the right direction.
            Absolutely....now need to get past that round 3 hurdle

Comment

• mike03car
              Special Teams
              • Aug 2015

Looks like a drama thread, so I'm not going to bother reading anything past the title, and will find something interesting.
              If I'm mistaken, message me and mention what I should check out that is worth knowing in this thread.

Comment

• Eagle82
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                Looks like a drama thread, so I'm not going to bother reading anything past the title, and will find something interesting.
                If I'm mistaken, message me and mention what I should check out that is worth knowing in this thread.
                No drama, just some mojo fans who feel jilted and have a grave dislike of Abilene since their wonderful team wasn't named.... wait for it......

TEAM OF THE CENTURY!

lol...

Fireworks.jpg
                Last edited by Eagle82; 08-26-2015, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• mojotrain
                  2nd Team
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

No drama, just some mojo fans who feel jilted and have a grave dislike of Abilene since their wonderful team wasn't named.... wait for it......

TEAM OF THE CENTURY!

lol...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n7519[/ATTACH]
                  Several of the older members of the Mojo Spit and Whittle club read this earlier and I was reminded that the 2015 season was mine alone to handle the lite work. Soooooo. for me to do that, I need you to tell me for which century did the Eagles receive this participation award? The 1800's or the 1900's. For now that's the talking point, which century? I'm going to blow your dress up on either one.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain

Several of the older members of the Mojo Spit and Whittle club read this earlier and I was reminded that the 2015 season was mine alone to handle the lite work. Soooooo. for me to do that, I need you to tell me for which century did the Eagles receive this participation award? The 1800's or the 1900's. For now that's the talking point, which century? I'm going to blow your dress up on either one.
                    oh mojo. You've been dormate here for awhile so I had to do something to bring you out!

you know I love ya and respect you

oh. It was that Dallas morning news thing back in the 1900's

Comment

• Shady12
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

West Texas Scoreboard Week 1 Sit Down: Central's Brent Davis

Comment

• The King
                        Practice Squad
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by mike03car

Hopefully with the start of actual football games the drama will subside and actual normal football talk will return

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                          Special Teams
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by The King

Hopefully with the start of actual football games the drama will subside and actual normal football talk will return
                          Lord help us if it doesn't.....

Comment

• Shady12
                            2nd Team
                            • Apr 2015

Blitz Chat Week 1 - San Angelo Central

Comment

• Admin
                              TX HS Football Talk
                              • Mar 2015

Merging these two topics together to keep the conversation going.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                Warbird_Dad commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Originally posted by Eagledad
                                AWESOME RETURN AFTER THE INT!!! KID MADE SOME GREAT MOVES! CONGRATS
                                Wow...the kid could have walked in after he crossed his own 30....noboby even close....nice return
                            • Eagle82
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

55dfcfa3ac4aa_image.jpg

MHS comeback falls short against Keller

Against a much more experienced Keller team, Midland High looked outmatched in the early going of Thursday night’s season opener, but the Bulldogs made things interesting in the end during a 35-28 loss to the visiting Indians at Grande Communications Stadium.

Circumstances looked bleak for the Bulldogs (0-1) with only 39 seconds left to play in the third quarter when Keller took a 35-13 lead after Caleb Griffin connected with Brady Marek for a 13-yard touchdown pass.

However, MHS quarterback Brady Bolger engineered two scoring drives to pull MHS within seven points with 3:04 left to play.

Bolger scored on a 4-yard run and threw to Courtney McMaryion for a 9-yard touchdown pass in fourth quarter, giving the Bulldogs some late hope and life.

However, Bolger’s scoring play was costly as Midland High left tackle Paxton Heiting injured his ankle and was carried off the field on a cart. Heiting, who started 11 games for the Bulldogs as a sophomore in 2014, is the Bulldogs’ most experienced offensive lineman.

“The only thing I am disappointed in is Paxton’s injury,” MHS head coach Craig Yenzer said. “I am disappointed for him, so that’s a sad thing for us. But that’s a part of the game and we are going to move forward. Our goal is to get that guy healthy when we get into the playoffs.”

Following McMaryion’s score, Ricky Hubert rushed for a 2-point conversion to cut the deficit to seven.

On the Indians’ next possession, a fired up Bulldog defense forced a three-and-out, highlighted by Jack Youngblood’s tackle for a loss on a second-and-6 situation.
                              MHS got the ball back at the 2-yard line, though, and had a little over a minute to drive the length of the field.

Bolger led a valiant comeback to midfield, but time expired when the Bulldogs spiked the ball on their own 47-yard line and no timeouts.

“Overall, I loved our fight in the end,” Yenzer said. “I loved our will to win. I was disappointed in a lot of the mistakes we made early. We let them put pressure on us, we didn’t put pressure on them.”

Keller’s offensive attack was spearheaded by running back Tyler Tutt, who rushed 19 times for 185 yards and two touchdowns. On the second play of the second half, Tutt broke loose on a 74-yard run to push the Indians (1-0) to a 28-10 advantage.

Hubert enjoyed an admirable performance in a losing effort, rushing for 69 yards and accounting for 101 yards as a receiver out of the backfield.

Notes: MHS junior defensive end Dillon Springer, the 2014 District 3-6A newcomer of the year, did not play. … Running back Raekwon Anderson, free safety Aderrial Henry, quarterback Brady Bolger, defensive end Traver Vliem and inside linebacker Jack Youngblood were team captains for Midland High.

KELLER 35, MIDLAND HIGH 28

Keller 7 14 14 0 --35
                              Midland High 3 7 3 15 --28
                              First Quarter

MHS -- FG Blake Boring 25, 3:18
                              KHS -- Caleb Griffin 15 run (Luke Hogan kick), 0:02

Second Quarter

KHS -- Tyler Tutt 9 run (Luke Hogan kick), 8:14
                              KHS -- Dillon Smith 6 pass from Caleb Griffin (Luke Hogan kick), 7:19
                              MHS -- Caleb Gonzales 1 run (Blake Boring kick), 2:52

Third Quarter

KHS -- Tyler Tutt 74 run (Luke Hogan kick), 11:00
                              MHS -- FG Blake Boring 26, 7:31
                              KHS -- Brady Marek 13 pass from Caleb Griffin (Luke Hogan kick), 0:39

Fourth Quarter

MHS -- Brady Bolger 4 run (Blake Boring kick), 5:12
                              MHS -- Courtney McMaryion 9 pass from Brady Bolger (Ricky Hubert run), 3:04

Keller Midland High
                              First downs 15 16
                              Rushes-yards 33-287 35-124
                              Passing yards 126 251
                              Comp.-Att.-Int. 14-21-0 18-34-1
                              Punts-Avg. 6-49.5 5-36.4
                              Fumbles-lost 1-0 3-0
                              Penalties-yards 8-64 5-36

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING -- Keller, Tyler Tutt 19-185, Liam Ardigo 4-52, Caleb Griffin 10-50. Midland High, Ricky Hubert 13-69, Brady Bolger 16-47, Nick Hernandez 1-6, Caleb Gonzales 2-4, Raekwon Anderson 1-4, Jackson Asnuszkiewicz 2-(-6).

PASSING -- Keller, Caleb Griffin 14-21-0-126. MHS, Brady Bolger 15-24-1-176, Jackson Anuszkiewicz 3-9-0-75, TEAM 0-1-0-0.

RECEIVING -- Keller, Dillon Smith 6-68, Camron Jones 3-(-9), Cameron Johnson 2-45, Brady Marek 2-23, Tyler Tutt 2-(-1). Midland High, Courtney McMaryion 6-46, Ricky Hubert 5-101, Jalen Childress 3-43, Sam Bertelson 1-43, Will Statton 1-13, Tim Bernal 1-1, Joey Rodriguez 1-(-1).

MISSED FIELD GOALS -- Keller, Hogan 53 (WL).

INTERCEPTIONS -- Keller, Landon Rowlett 1-26.

Source: http://www.mrt.com/sports/article_a5...c4dda37a5.html
                              Christopher Hadorn|chadorn@mrt.com
                              Last edited by Eagle82; 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

Good luck to all the 2-6A & 3-6A teams tonight and safe travels!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                  Special Teams
                                  • May 2015

Good luck to all the 2-6A & 3-6A teams tonight and safe travels!
                                  Ditto...go get em tonight West Texas !!!

Comment

• SLC13
                                    '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                                    • Apr 2015

............ KELLER 35, MIDLAND HIGH 28 ...........
                                    Wow......I thought Midland would easily take this one playing at home and all. Maybe Keller doesn't totally suck this year.

Comment

• TexasBob
                                      Hall of Fame
                                      • May 2015

Mojo - 70
                                      McAllen - 7
                                      7:15 4th

Comment

• mike03car
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Aug 2015

Cox, AHS Eagles pass first test against Heritage

Sam Waller 12:14 AM, Aug 29, 2015
                                        local high school football | abilene high | sports | gofridaynight

http://www.reporternews.com/sports/gofridaynight/cox-ahs-eagles-pass-first-test-against-heritage_60731981

GRAPEVINE — All in all, things went about as well as the Abilene High Eagles could have hoped Friday in their season opener against Colleyville Heritage.
                                        With a new head coach, a new quarterback, an almost entirely new cast of receivers and a running back with a surgically repaired knee, the Eagles had plenty of questions to answer.
                                        Among the answers from the Eagles' 35-25 victory at Mustang-Panther Stadium:
                                        n Coach Del Van Cox and staff came up with a game plan that helped AHS jump out to a big early lead, then provided the motivation to regain control after Heritage rallied to tie;
                                        n Quarterback Peyton Killam completed 77.8 percent of his passes (14 of 18) for 142 yards and a touchdown;
                                        n Wide receivers Qua'Shawn Washington (7-82, 1 TD) and Raekwon Millsap (4-30) gave Killam reliable targets, and;
                                        n Running back Abram Smith, rebuilt knee and all, picked up pretty much where he left off with 177 yards and three touchdowns.
                                        "When you go into somebody's back yard, you've got to overcome a lot of things," Cox said. "Our kids did great today. They jumped and got on top, then kind of relaxed and let them back in it.
                                        "(Heritage) fought hard. They played great in the middle quarters and it was a fight to the end, but our defense played great. Our coaches had a great defensive plan. And in the end, our offense kicked in and did a great job."
                                        Washington, who provided the final exclamation point with an interception that allowed AHS to run out the clock in the fourth quarter, said the Eagles wanted to prove there has been no dropoff in a program that has reached the playoffs 14 times in 15 years.
                                        "We knew we had to come out strong," he said. "We ended up finishing the game. We got up early and they came back on us. We had to close the door."
                                        Abilene High jumped out to a 21-0 lead just 14 minutes into the contest as Smith sandwiched touchdown runs of 6 and 48 yards around Washington's 27-yard scoring reception from Killam. The Eagles opened the game with a pair of 10-play drives, then needed just two plays to get Smith's second TD.
                                        "I was a little hesitant, but I came out with the boys and the boys put their confidence in me, their belief in me," said Smith, who carried 23 times in his first outing since being injured against Odessa Permian last season. "I just had to show that they didn't put it in the wrong person.
                                        "(The strong start) gets everybody going. It gets the defense going. If we get that going, the offense can't be stopped. It's just about execution."
                                        Herritage, playing its first game under new coach Joe Willis, struggled Early on. The Panthers had just 11 total yards and one first down on their first three possessions before the offense started clicking behind quarterback Cam Roane and wide receiver Ke'Von Ahmad.
                                        Roane, who finished 11 of 22 passing for 255 yards and two TDs, connected with Ahmad for a 52-yard score with 3:57 left in the half and Heritage pulled even in the third quarter. Ahmad, who had three receptions for 126 yards and rushed for 18 yards, had a 4-yard TD run and pulled in a 26-yard TD reception to knot the score at 21.
                                        The Abilene High defense, while victimized by big plays in the passing game, came up with the plays it needed to make when it counted. Coy McMillon recovered a fumble late in the first half after Heritage drove to the Eagle 3-yard line.
                                        Washington gave one reason for the Eagles' ability to stop the bleeding.
                                        "A good speech by Coach Cox," he said. "It's his first year, but he has some good leadership skills. He gave us a pump-up speech and we all knew what we had to do."
                                        After Ahmad's third score, AHS regained the lead on a 16-yard run by Immanuel Brown, who had 63 yards on 15 carries, with 9:35 left in the game. The Eagle defense came through with a Noah Gonzalez fumble recovery, a fourth-down stop and Washington's pick on the Panthers' final three possessions.
                                        Gonzalez's takeaway resulted in Smith Scoring from a yard out with 4:54 to go, then AHS stopped Heritage on downs at the Eagle 28 as the secondary stepped up with four pass breakups.
                                        "Our coaches prepared us for that moment exactly," safety Ray Velasquez said. "We knew exactly what we were doing and came out there and executed it perfectly."
                                        Cox said while it was a successful start, there's still plenty of work to be done over the next nine games.
                                        "We've got a lot of things to work on, no doubt about that," he said. "We've got to get better. This team, if they fix the little things, they can do some things later on. But we've got to get better. If we continue to get better, we'll be all right."
                                        NONDISTRICT
                                        ABILLENE HIGH 335, COLLEYVILLE HERITAGE 21
                                        Abilene High 7 14 0 14 — 35
                                        Heritage 0 7 14 0 — 0
                                        FIRST QUARTER
                                        AHS — Abram Smith 6 run (Oscar Hernandez kick), 7:21
                                        SECOND QUARTER
                                        AHS — Qua'Shawn Washington 27 pass from Peyton Killam (Hernandez kick), 11:53
                                        AHS — Smith 48 run (Hernandez kick), 10:00
                                        HER — Ke'Von Ahmad 52 pass from Cam Roane (Max Allan kick), 3:57
                                        THIRD QUARTER
                                        HER — Ahmad 4 run (Allan kick), 10:36
                                        HER — Ahmad 26 pass from Roane (Allan
                                        kick), 3:38
                                        FOURTH QUARTER
                                        AHS — Immanuel Brown 16 run (Hernandez kick), 9:35 AHS — Smith 1 run (Hernandez kick), 4:54
                                        AHS Her
                                        First downs 23 13
                                        Rushes-Yards 47-251 28-53
                                        Passing 142 255
                                        Comp-Att-Int 14-18-0 11-22-1
                                        Punts 4-32.3 3-39.0
                                        Fumbles-Lost 1-0 2-2
                                        Penalties-Yards 12-109 5-40
                                        INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                        RUSHING — Abilene High, Abram Smith 23-177, Immanuel Brown 15-63, Peyton Killam 5-25, Team 4-(minus 14). Colleyville Heritage, Mario Ortiz 4-23, Ke'Von Ahmad 3-18, Jamarie Williams 8-11, Isaiah Diggs 3-7, Cam Roane 10-(minus 6).
                                        PASSING — Abilene High, Peyton Killam 14-18-0—142. Colleyville Heritage, Cam Roane 11-22-1—255.
                                        RECEIVING — Abilene High, Qua'Shawn Washington 7-82, Raekwon Millsap 4-30, David Russell 2-29, Coy McMillon 1-1. Colleyville Heritage, Ke'Von Ahmad 3-126, Tommy Hall 2-24, Gervon Thorthion 2-20, Reid Harrison-Ducros 1-55, Martio Ortiz 1-21, Connor Cole 1-9.
                                        RECORDS — Abilene High 1-0; Colleyville Heritage 0-1.

Comment

• Shady12
                                          2nd Team
                                          • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...elrio_06254641

Defensive scores help lift 'Cats to shutout win

By Quinton Martinez

DEL RIO — Somewhere along the way to a low-scoring defensive slugfest to open the season, Central rewrote the script.

The Bobcats turned a ho-hum 14-0 halftime lead into a 42-0 walloping Friday at Walter Levermann Ram Stadium to christen the 2015 campaign with a win.

Central was sparked by an interception by Brock Martin to halt Del Rio’s first offensive possession of the second half, and from that point the Bobcat defense took control.

Brennen Wooten hit Cal Vincent in stride for a 31-yard touchdown with 6:58 to play, and the Central defense forced three consecutive three-and-outs by the Del Rio offense.

Wooten hit Tommy Aych from the 3 to extend Central’s lead to 28-0, and the Bobcat offense never scored again.

But it didn’t need to.

Martin grabbed a Del Rio punt with 1:31 left in the third, initially veered right and then darted left, selecting his blocks before turning on the afterburners.

He dove for the pylon, scoring on the return from 42 yards out.

“We just do what we are coached to do and things like that happen,” Martin said. “When we all put in the effort we’re good.
                                          “I wanted to go right, and thank goodness Will Vincent said left. I followed him and he led me home.”

Del Rio fought back, despite facing a 35-0 deficit, marching all the way to the Central 1 in 12 plays.

On the 13th play, the Bobcats stamped the exclamation point on the shutout win.

Facing fourth and goal from the 6 after a false start penalty, Del Rio quarterback Steven Salinas dropped back and thought he had his tight end breaking open in the end zone. Instead, Donavyn Jackson stepped in front of the pass and picked it at the goal line.

After weaving his way through the Rams’ offensive line, he picked up one key block at the 35 and saw daylight, marching 100 yards for the longest interception return in school history.

“We came together as a defense tonight,” Jackson said. “I saw the tight end come up and I figured no one was going to cover him. I just took it and got an interception and happened to take it back. It felt good.”

It punctuated a stellar night for the Central defense, notching a shutout over Del Rio for the second straight year.

The Rams were all but shut down on the ground — amassing just 41 yards on 31 carries — and had more incomplete passes than those that found the mark (23 of 48 for 252 with two interceptions).

“That was a huge play by Donavyn and took off for 100 yards,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “It is hard to get shutouts against today’s offenses. To start off with one again this year … I think we played a lot better tonight than we did last year.”
                                          The Central offense was not a well-oiled machine on offense, but the way the defense was playing, the unit didn’t have to be perfect.

“It is just going to take us a little bit at game-speed timing,” Davis said. “We are all brand new out here. We have to get better each game. The timing will come. You started to see it improve there a little bit in the second quarter and in the second half.”

Both Central and Del Rio did a good job of wearing out the midfield logo, consistently marching between the 30s, but neither offense clicked long enough to put together an early drive, leaving the game scoreless after one.

Then Daven Manning ignited the offense.

Manning picked up 33 yards on consecutive runs on Central’s first drive of the second quarter.

When the Rams keyed on Manning in the backfield, Wooten hurt them in the air, connecting with Donovan Moore for a 23-yard TD.

Central’s other first-half score came on fourth down when Wooten led 6-foot-6 Adam West perfectly on a 36 yard TD strike.

In his first outing as a Central Bobcat, Wooten connected on 24 of 40 passes for four touchdowns and no interceptions, totaling 316 yards.

Manning eclipsed the century mark by halftime in his first game at Central and finished with 115 yards rushing on nine carries.

Four receivers had at least 46 yards receiving (Cal Vincent, Dedrick Howard, Aaron Wooten and West), with Cal Vincent (8-93) and Howard (6-89) nearing the century mark.

Davis was pleased with both Manning and Khalil Antoine in the backfield and said the key is to continue to improve off of the season-opening win.

“Both of our running backs are going to make us a lot better,” Davis said. “We have to continue to get better from here. If the defense will play like this and we get better on offense, we are going to be pretty tough.”

Central 42
                                          Del Rio 0

Central 0 14 21 7 — 42
                                          Del Rio 0 0 0 0 — 0

Second Quarter
                                          Central — Donovan Moore 18 pass from Brennen Wooten (Marc Cabrera kick), 8:31 remaining
                                          Central — Adam West 36 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 2:57
                                          Third Quarter
                                          Central — Cal Vincent 31 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 6:58
                                          Central — Tommy Aych 3 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 2:53
                                          Central — Brock Martin 42 punt return (Cabrera kick), 1:31
                                          Fourth Quarter
                                          Central — Donavyn Jackson 100 interception return (Cabrera kick), 8:43

Central Del Rio
                                          First downs 24 15
                                          Rushing Yards 22-179 31-41
                                          Passing Yards 320 252 Comp-Att-Int 26-42-0 23-48-2
                                          Fumbles-lost 2-2 0-0
                                          Punts-avg. 4-33 8-33.6
                                          Penalties-yards 9-60 4-24

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                          RUSHING: Central – Daven Manning 9-115, Khalil Antoine 7-31, Henry Teeter 3-26, Brennen Wooten 3-7; Del Rio – Albert Vasquez 19-28, Jamin Medina 3-9, Azell Dimery 1-7, Walt Ashley 1-1, Greg Torres 1-1, Steven Salinas 6-(-5).

PASSING: Central – B. Wooten 24-40-0 for 316, Teeter 2-2-0 for 4; Del Rio – Salinas 22-45-2 for 244; Torres 1-3-0 for 8.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                            2nd Team
                                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Guest

Wow. I don't know where to start.

Where I am doesn't make my opinion any less valid. I'm not going yo engage in your juvenile banter other than to say it makes it obvious you have no substantive reply. Therefore you resort to mudslinging.

And yes I'm so sure Shady 12 agrees with you that the Bobcats are simply also rans to the Abilene Eagles. Scoreboard means nothing.
                                            nm
                                            Last edited by mojotrain; 08-30-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Shady12
                                              2nd Team
                                              • Apr 2015

Central LB Donavyn Jackson's 101 yard INT return made Hudl's top 5 plays-

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

Congrats to all the 3-6A teams this week.

Central rolled, impressive numbers against a better than average Del Rio team. Defense was very impressive as well. 101 yard INT return? Insane!
                                                Mojo, 70, nice. It's McAllen, but Mojo wasn't able to put that many up against them last year so yeah, Mojo has improved.
                                                Abilene, well our young boys did as we expected against what we're constantly being reminded of a young Colleyville H. team.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                  Special Teams
                                                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
                                                  http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...elrio_06254641

Defensive scores help lift 'Cats to shutout win

By Quinton Martinez

DEL RIO — Somewhere along the way to a low-scoring defensive slugfest to open the season, Central rewrote the script.

The Bobcats turned a ho-hum 14-0 halftime lead into a 42-0 walloping Friday at Walter Levermann Ram Stadium to christen the 2015 campaign with a win.

Central was sparked by an interception by Brock Martin to halt Del Rio’s first offensive possession of the second half, and from that point the Bobcat defense took control.

Brennen Wooten hit Cal Vincent in stride for a 31-yard touchdown with 6:58 to play, and the Central defense forced three consecutive three-and-outs by the Del Rio offense.

Wooten hit Tommy Aych from the 3 to extend Central’s lead to 28-0, and the Bobcat offense never scored again.

But it didn’t need to.

Martin grabbed a Del Rio punt with 1:31 left in the third, initially veered right and then darted left, selecting his blocks before turning on the afterburners.

He dove for the pylon, scoring on the return from 42 yards out.

“We just do what we are coached to do and things like that happen,” Martin said. “When we all put in the effort we’re good.
                                                  “I wanted to go right, and thank goodness Will Vincent said left. I followed him and he led me home.”

Del Rio fought back, despite facing a 35-0 deficit, marching all the way to the Central 1 in 12 plays.

On the 13th play, the Bobcats stamped the exclamation point on the shutout win.

Facing fourth and goal from the 6 after a false start penalty, Del Rio quarterback Steven Salinas dropped back and thought he had his tight end breaking open in the end zone. Instead, Donavyn Jackson stepped in front of the pass and picked it at the goal line.

After weaving his way through the Rams’ offensive line, he picked up one key block at the 35 and saw daylight, marching 100 yards for the longest interception return in school history.

“We came together as a defense tonight,” Jackson said. “I saw the tight end come up and I figured no one was going to cover him. I just took it and got an interception and happened to take it back. It felt good.”

It punctuated a stellar night for the Central defense, notching a shutout over Del Rio for the second straight year.

The Rams were all but shut down on the ground — amassing just 41 yards on 31 carries — and had more incomplete passes than those that found the mark (23 of 48 for 252 with two interceptions).

“That was a huge play by Donavyn and took off for 100 yards,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “It is hard to get shutouts against today’s offenses. To start off with one again this year … I think we played a lot better tonight than we did last year.”
                                                  The Central offense was not a well-oiled machine on offense, but the way the defense was playing, the unit didn’t have to be perfect.

“It is just going to take us a little bit at game-speed timing,” Davis said. “We are all brand new out here. We have to get better each game. The timing will come. You started to see it improve there a little bit in the second quarter and in the second half.”

Both Central and Del Rio did a good job of wearing out the midfield logo, consistently marching between the 30s, but neither offense clicked long enough to put together an early drive, leaving the game scoreless after one.

Then Daven Manning ignited the offense.

Manning picked up 33 yards on consecutive runs on Central’s first drive of the second quarter.

When the Rams keyed on Manning in the backfield, Wooten hurt them in the air, connecting with Donovan Moore for a 23-yard TD.

Central’s other first-half score came on fourth down when Wooten led 6-foot-6 Adam West perfectly on a 36 yard TD strike.

In his first outing as a Central Bobcat, Wooten connected on 24 of 40 passes for four touchdowns and no interceptions, totaling 316 yards.

Manning eclipsed the century mark by halftime in his first game at Central and finished with 115 yards rushing on nine carries.

Four receivers had at least 46 yards receiving (Cal Vincent, Dedrick Howard, Aaron Wooten and West), with Cal Vincent (8-93) and Howard (6-89) nearing the century mark.

Davis was pleased with both Manning and Khalil Antoine in the backfield and said the key is to continue to improve off of the season-opening win.

“Both of our running backs are going to make us a lot better,” Davis said. “We have to continue to get better from here. If the defense will play like this and we get better on offense, we are going to be pretty tough.”

Central 42
                                                  Del Rio 0

Central 0 14 21 7 — 42
                                                  Del Rio 0 0 0 0 — 0

Second Quarter
                                                  Central — Donovan Moore 18 pass from Brennen Wooten (Marc Cabrera kick), 8:31 remaining
                                                  Central — Adam West 36 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 2:57
                                                  Third Quarter
                                                  Central — Cal Vincent 31 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 6:58
                                                  Central — Tommy Aych 3 pass from Wooten (Cabrera kick), 2:53
                                                  Central — Brock Martin 42 punt return (Cabrera kick), 1:31
                                                  Fourth Quarter
                                                  Central — Donavyn Jackson 100 interception return (Cabrera kick), 8:43

Central Del Rio
                                                  First downs 24 15
                                                  Rushing Yards 22-179 31-41
                                                  Passing Yards 320 252 Comp-Att-Int 26-42-0 23-48-2
                                                  Fumbles-lost 2-2 0-0
                                                  Punts-avg. 4-33 8-33.6
                                                  Penalties-yards 9-60 4-24

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                                  RUSHING: Central – Daven Manning 9-115, Khalil Antoine 7-31, Henry Teeter 3-26, Brennen Wooten 3-7; Del Rio – Albert Vasquez 19-28, Jamin Medina 3-9, Azell Dimery 1-7, Walt Ashley 1-1, Greg Torres 1-1, Steven Salinas 6-(-5).

PASSING: Central – B. Wooten 24-40-0 for 316, Teeter 2-2-0 for 4; Del Rio – Salinas 22-45-2 for 244; Torres 1-3-0 for 8.
                                                  LIKE THE NEW MIDLAND UNI'S!

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                    Special Teams
                                                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
                                                    Central LB Donavyn Jackson's 101 yard INT return made Hudl's top 5 plays-

http://www.hudl.com/team/18387/highlights/105646824#
                                                    AWESOME RETURN AFTER THE INT!!! KID MADE SOME GREAT MOVES! CONGRATS

Comment

• Shady12
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Apr 2015

CENTRAL MIDWEEK: Bobcats turning the tide against DFW teams

CHS to host Byron Nelson

By Quinton Martinez

If you look back 365 days ago, the Central football program was preparing for a contest with Byron Nelson at AT&T Stadium.

Those Bobcats hadn’t beaten a team from the Dallas-Fort Worth Dallas-Fort Worth area in 23 years — since the 1991 state semifinal run.

Fast forward to today and Central heads into Friday’s showdown with the same Byron Nelson squad — but more accomplished as a program.

The 2014 Bobcats not only beat Byron Nelson (35-28) in nondistrict play, but then rallied to upend Arlington Bowie (55-52) in double overtime in the bi-district playoffs.

Central’s season came to a close with a 35-10 regional semifinal loss against D/FW powerhouse Southlake Carroll, but head coach Brent Davis feels his program is close to completely getting over the hump against those programs.

“That is why we play them. We want to get to that point where we are competitive and are completely over the hump. We took a big step last year and we need to keep that thing going,” Davis said.

Central had been 0-6 in games against D/FW teams since beating Arlington Sam Houston 33-28 in the playoffs in 1991.

Defensive coordinator Mark Chester believes the team’s success against the Dallas-Fort Worth area last year makes it easier to plan for another quality opponent, instead of thinking about where they are from.

“We know what to expect and what we are going to be up against,” Chester said. “We have been here before and have had success. That is a thing of the past now. It is just preparing and executing.”

Central’s defensive execution was about as good as it could have hoped for in the Bobcats’ 42-0 Week 1 whitewashing of Del Rio.

The Bobcats yielded some passing yardage against the Rams, but bowed up every time they needed to — including a fourth-down stop at the goal line that saw Donavyn Jackson intercept Del Rio quarterback Steven Salinas and race 101 yards for a touchdown.

Central was disappointed with its tackling in its scrimmage with Abilene Cooper, but none of those issues surfaced last week.

“We improved from our scrimmage to Week 1,” Chester said. “We had a great week of practice and we emphasized effort and fundamentals and it showed Friday night.

“Our defensive line had a great game — Dylan Parsee (defensive end) led us with 10 tackles and (defensive tackle) Jordan Schellhase was one of our guys with seven tackles. We really wore them out.”

Most of Central’s offense was making its varsity debut for the Bobcats, and several had standout performances.

Quarterback Brennen Wooten threw for 316 yards and four TDs on 24 of 40 passing. Junior running back Daven Manning ran nine times for 112 yards and was a spark plug for the offense which stalled on its first three drives, turned the ball over and then had to punt again.

Slot receiver Cal Vincent led the team with eight receptions for 93 yards and a TD. Wide receiver Dedrick Howard, who was pressed into more game action with Will Grindstaff sidelined by injury, caught six passes for 89 yards.

“The more he plays and more confidence he gets, he will end up being a great player for us,” Davis said of Howard. “(Daven) sparked us a little bit. We have two good running backs and we need to keep them both healthy and fresh. We want to be fresh in the fourth quarter.

“A lot of our games from here on out are going to be fourth-quarter games. All of our district games will be and we feel like this Friday night will be.”

Bobcat bites

Jackson’s 101-yard interception return for a TD was not only the longest in school history (surpassing Billie Johnston’s 95-yard TD in 1937 vs. Eastland), but it was also recognized as a top play from Week 1 on Hudl, an online game film video service.

Central’s 42-0 opening win over Del Rio was the first time that the program had scored that many points while also shutting out an opponent since a 54-0 pasting of Abilene High in 1992.

Byron Nelson — which has only been open since 2009 — has never traveled as far as it will Friday (266 miles) for a football game. The previous farthest distance the program had traveled was 113 miles when it was in a district with Wichita Falls and Wichita Falls Rider.

Central vs. Byron Nelson

What: Nondistrict football game

When: 7 p.m. Friday

Where: San Angelo Stadium

Records: Central is 1-0, Byron Nelson is 1-0

Of note: Central won 35-28 last year in a game played at AT&T Stadium.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

Coach Cox Radio Show has been moved.

They have moved the radio show to sports radio station 98.1. They are moving it to live show at 9AM on Wednesdays

http://player.streamtheworld.com/liv...allsign=KTLTFM

Comment

• Shady12
                                                          2nd Team
                                                          • Apr 2015

Blitz Chat, Central - Game 2

Comment

• Shady12
                                                            2nd Team
                                                            • Apr 2015

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: 'Cats hoping to continue magic at home

Central on win streak at SA Stadium

By Quinton Martinez

The Central Bobcats will step out onto the San Angelo Stadium turf for a game Friday for the first time since last November.

In that bi-district contest, Central faced a 21-point deficit on three separate occasions only to rally back for a miraculous 55-52 win over Arlington Bowie.

It was Central’s second win over a Dallas-Fort Worth area team of the season.

The Angry Orange hope to harness the same home magic again in this week’s home opener against Byron Nelson — the first Dallas/Fort Worth team that they beat in 2014.

The comeback against Byron Nelson wasn’t quite as dramatic as it was against Bowie, but Central did erase a 14-point halftime hole to rally for a 35-28 win at AT&T Stadium.

“(Part of it) was nerves and the excitement of being in Cowboys Stadium,” said Central head coach Brent Davis of last year’s contest. “Defensively they hit us with some big pass plays. Our rookie corner Will Vincent grew up in a hurry. In the first half they took advantage of it and in the second half he broke up everything they threw at him.

“It was good for him and for our program. That is why you want to play good football teams — you get better.”

Now Vincent is entrenched as Central’s best corner and will be tasked with helping his team maintain the home-field advantage it has enjoyed for more than three years.

In total, Central has come away with 11 straight home wins, dating back to a Nov. 2, 2012, home loss to Abilene Cooper (21-17).

Davis called Byron Nelson one of the most talented teams that Central will see all year, including defensive end Brandon Bowen (6-foot-6, 230 pounds) and offensive lineman Kellen Diesch (6-7, 265).

Bowen is one of the most sought-after recruits from Texas in Class 6A, and Diesch has already committed to Arkansas.

“That defensive end is the real deal,” Davis said. “We had to game plan a bit for him. They are good. Having a year of playing 6A football, they learned a lot. Last year they had a few kids going both ways and you don’t see that. I think they learned that is pretty tough to do at this level. All of that is good until you get to the fourth quarter.”

Central will counter with two of their best in the same positions — defensive end Dylan Parsee (Stephen F. Austin commit) and left tackle Braxton Webb (SMU commit).

The skill at rush end and tackle for both teams will be one of the battles to watch Friday.

Webb was pleased with the play of a mostly-new offensive line against Del Rio last week in a 42-0 win, but he knows that this week will present a bigger challenge.

“It was good for the first week, but for Byron Nelson we have to play a lot better and more aggressive in order to beat them,” Webb said. “We’ve seen the film. The biggest challenge against (Bowen) is his speed rush. We’ve been working on that this week in practice and feel pretty good.”

Parsee had 10 tackles to share the team lead with linebacker Donavyn Jackson after the first week, joining a defensive line that wreaked havoc against Del Rio.

Central held the Rams to 41 yards on the ground and yielded 252 passing yards to Del Rio. The Angry Orange will be tasked with stopping a Byron Nelson team led by returning quarterback Preston Haire.

“Last year, we were our own worst enemy in the first half,” Central defensive coordinator Mark Chester said. “We committed personal foul penalties to keep their drives going on third down three times.

“They have a really good quarterback that is a really accurate thrower. He has tremendous receivers led by Pascal Mondombo, who is really fast.”

Central’s offense scored 28 points last week and despite getting off to a slow start, still finished with over 300 yards and four touchdowns passing.

Senior quarterback Brennen Wooten said there is a greater focus on starting fast on offense this week.

“In the first half, I wasn’t too sharp,” Wooten said. “I should’ve gotten going faster. We didn’t score quick enough, and we had some drives stall out. That is going to be a big emphasis this week. We need to score on our first drive. We need to do that for our defense. They played a heck of a game. We need to reward them.”

“(Byron Nelson) is a heck of a team. On film you can see they have several D-I guys. They present some issues, so we will have to really prepare this week.”

Central vs. Byron Nelson

What: Nondistrict football game

When: 7 p.m. Friday

Where: San Angelo Stadium

Records: Central is 1-0, Byron Nelson is 1-0

Of note: Central is aiming to win its 12th straight home game.

Comment

Working...