West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

Interesting point. Byron Nelson is coming down to the Concho Valley in September. It's the only time they leave the Metroplex this season I believe. I wonder if they've ever traveled this far for a football game. Might be tough to get home and homes. I guess SLC is willing since they did go to Midland.
    I'd bet those golf boys have never left the plex for a game.

I'd also bet your coach will start scheduling a couple DFW teams during prior to district games as well.

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

That's a good point and I think you're right. Nothing is a guarantee.
      The year you're thinking of is 2007 and I remember sitting at Shotwell during the rematch. Between the windy conditions and the DL for Teinity that afternoon, Taylor Byrd was never able to get into any kind of rhythm that day.

I'm not sure the west Texas teams will ever have the consistency they had 20 years ago simply due to the depth of talent compared to the metroplex. As the DFW grew over the last 30 years so did the punt of talent walking the halls of a lot of high schools. Years like 2007-2009 with Permian and Abilene may be more of the exception than the norm for the west Texas schools going forward.
      100% agree. As we are all aware, families can "re-locate" within the plex on a moments notice without losing their jobs. For families to move to WT, a job has to be in the waits, which we all know jobs out here are hard to come by. Speaking of career type jobs that is.

Comment

• SLC13
        '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Oh as far as Abilene goes, it was just a practice game. We didn't want to show you everything in the event we met up with you in round 4.
        Mission accomplished as evidenced by the scoreboard.

Comment

• sTp
          1st Team
          • Apr 2015

For those of us that weren't following it all back then, can anyone point to a few reasons WHY those West Texas teams were able to dominate? Was it great coaching and great work ethic, and other programs didn't yet have schemes that could beat them?

Comment

Yes, we know, you're not impressed

As for the next CB, gosh, I sure hope not and I doubt it. Didn't he end up being a drug induced thug getting kicked or run out of the league?

Don't be so negative about things.

So obviously you're a district folk, come out of the closet and tell us who your team is. We all sit in anticipation!
            Ah, the old 'he disagrees with me, so he's just negative' ploy. Got it.

Fine, let's get back to the original post I made. San Angelo is the class of West Texas, and it's not close. You asked what class of the district means, and I told you. They are without a doubt the best that West Texas has to offer at this time- not in the past- but now.

I guarantee you that San Angelo Central will not finish lower than Abilene in the standings. And I'll further guarantee you that Abilene will not be the 3-6a champion in 2015. Care to place a bet?

Comment

• Eagle82
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedy West

Ah, the old 'he disagrees with me, so he's just negative' ploy. Got it.

Fine, let's get back to the original post I made. San Angelo is the class of West Texas, and it's not close. You asked what class of the district means, and I told you. They are without a doubt the best that West Texas has to offer at this time- not in the past- but now.

I guarantee you that San Angelo Central will not finish lower than Abilene in the standings. And I'll further guarantee you that Abilene will not be the 3-6a champion in 2015. Care to place a bet?
              Actually it seems everyone disagrees with you, I just happen to be the boy from Abilene, obviously a team you dislike, which is fine.

Well unfortunately for San Angelo those around the state will recognize Abilene as a power before they do SA based on the past. Sorry bud, just the way it is, like it or not and no offense to the good folks in SA. Just get your geography straight, the class of West Texas or the class of the district?

My prediction is SA and Abilene will duke it out for the title. Yes, that means Abilene will once again beat your Mojo, those teams from Midland and that pesky Odessa team.

Comment

Actually it seems everyone disagrees with you, I just happen to be the boy from Abilene, obviously a team you dislike, which is fine.

Well unfortunately for San Angelo those around the state will recognize Abilene as a power before they do SA based on the past. Sorry bud, just the way it is, like it or not and no offense to the good folks in SA. Just get your geography straight, the class of West Texas or the class of the district?

My prediction is SA and Abilene will duke it out for the title. Yes, that means Abilene will once again beat your Mojo, those teams from Midland and that pesky Odessa team.
                Wow. I don't know where to start.

Where I am doesn't make my opinion any less valid. I'm not going yo engage in your juvenile banter other than to say it makes it obvious you have no substantive reply. Therefore you resort to mudslinging.

And yes I'm so sure Shady 12 agrees with you that the Bobcats are simply also rans to the Abilene Eagles. Scoreboard means nothing.

Comment

• Farmer
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Question since the Abilene schools do not seem to be growing a lot of any, do you ever see a day where the two schools would consolidate? I know both Abikene and Cooper have very long and storied histories and as much as I would hate to see that go, do you think it could ever happen?

Comment

• Farmer
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                    For those of us that weren't following it all back then, can anyone point to a few reasons WHY those West Texas teams were able to dominate? Was it great coaching and great work ethic, and other programs didn't yet have schemes that could beat them?
                    I'm not an expert on west Texas teams but did enjoy watching them when they came to the Metroplex many moons ago.
                    Permian had a system in place. They were a very solid Wing-T team that ran the same system from junior high up it seemed and had incredible coaching. They had some talented players but not an abundance. What separates the west Texas teams from the metroplex teams in that day was an overall toughness. Those kids were fearless and well coached. I know with Permian everything started with Gene Mayfield and Gil Bartosh as coaches and then Wilkins came in and took them to a whole new level. After Wilkins retired you had Gaines, Tam Hollingshead and then Randy Mayes coach. I believe all of those guys were connected to the John Wilkins coaching tree so there was a level of familiarity that stayed in the system for 25+ years.

I wish mojo train were here because he would be able to explain in very good detail what it was that made that's machine run.

Comment

• Eagle82
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Question since the Abilene schools do not seem to be growing a lot of any, do you ever see a day where the two schools would consolidate? I know both Abikene and Cooper have very long and storied histories and as much as I would hate to see that go, do you think it could ever happen?
                      Back in the mid 2000's it was put to a vote to build a new high school, consolidating the two, it was rejected. Town is to full of die-hard Cooper and AH fans plus many felt their little boys who were crowned to start varsity at a position may be placed in jeopardy. It's doubtful another vote would occur again.

Both schools are seeing a departure of families move into the Wylie district which takes away from the talent pool.

Comment

• Eagle82
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

I'm not an expert on west Texas teams but did enjoy watching them when they came to the Metroplex many moons ago.
                        Permian had a system in place. They were a very solid Wing-T team that ran the same system from junior high up it seemed and had incredible coaching. They had some talented players but not an abundance. What separates the west Texas teams from the metroplex teams in that day was an overall toughness. Those kids were fearless and well coached. I know with Permian everything started with Gene Mayfield and Gil Bartosh as coaches and then Wilkins came in and took them to a whole new level. After Wilkins retired you had Gaines, Tam Hollingshead and then Randy Mayes coach. I believe all of those guys were connected to the John Wilkins coaching tree so there was a level of familiarity that stayed in the system for 25+ years.

I wish mojo train were here because he would be able to explain in very good detail what it was that made that's machine run.
                        Well despite what "some" may think, I am a big fan of Mojo and have been since I was a little cuss playing ball in Junction. Now if you were to compare Abilene and Mojo on not only a statewide but a national level, Mojo would garner more respect and recognition based on their "past" performances. Living in NYC all those years and involved in youth sports, it was an honor to educate people on Permian. Of course with the movie, they could not believe the fan base and game attendance. They thought it was all show for the movie. I assured them it was not, and that towns literally close up come game time.

Coaching is what it's all about and as MT said elsewhere, which I am understanding now, the school board and AD play a vital role in a programs success. I have also said elsewhere that had Allman stayed at Permian, today they would be a statewide force to reckon with. The program needs good coaching, which they now have but also long term stability. Changing coaches throws the programs a step or steps back and it's tough to get it going when that occurs. West Texas has a lot of kids that may lack in overall talent but their hearts and desire to play every down makes up for that lack. Unfortunately now the metroplex schools have slew of athletes to choose from who eventually wears down our kids.

I know I tend to get over zealous at times and defend our AH boys but we all do that when it comes to our teams. Those that know me know I am very involved in the program so yeah, I do take it personal. I'll work on toning it down and I do apologize to Mojo fans for my approach.
                        Last edited by Eagle82; 06-03-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Super B
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                          I am not disagreeing with you at all on your points. I just remember Odessa Permian playing Trinity early on in non district(maybe 2010) and they handed a good defeat to the Trojans and when they met in the playoffs, Trinity returned the favor. It's not a guarantee, that's all.
                          That was actually 2007. It happened the same day as the SLC vs. MNW game, which is where I was. 30-0 I believe?
                          Super B

Comment

• Super B
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Well despite what "some" may think, I am a big fan of Mojo and have been since I was a little cuss playing ball in Junction. Now if you were to compare Abilene and Mojo on not only a statewide but a national level, Mojo would garner more respect and recognition based on their "past" performances. Living in NYC all those years and involved in youth sports, it was an honor to educate people on Permian. Of course with the movie, they could not believe the fan base and game attendance. They thought it was all show for the movie. I assured them it was not, and that towns literally close up come game time.

Coaching is what it's all about and as MT said elsewhere, which I am understanding now, the school board and AD play a vital role in a programs success. I have also said elsewhere that had Allman stayed at Permian, today they would be a statewide force to reckon with. The program needs good coaching, which they now have but also long term stability. Changing coaches throws the programs a step or steps back and it's tough to get it going when that occurs. West Texas has a lot of kids that may lack in overall talent but their hearts and desire to play every down makes up for that lack. Unfortunately now the metroplex schools have slew of athletes to choose from who eventually wears down our kids.

I know I tend to get over zealous at times and defend our AH boys but we all do that when it comes to our teams. Those that know me know I am very involved in the program so yeah, I do take it personal. I'll work on toning it down and I do apologize to Mojo fans for my approach.
                            This coming from a Metroplex guy. I have lived in NE Tarrant County nearly all my life, minus one year in Bastrop county when I worked in Austin.

I think developing home grown coaches is the key. Players who come back after college, coach and stay FOR GOOD. I know Allman was from Odessa. He played there in the '80's. He had bigger fish to fry I guess. I do think a home grown hire is the way to go though. It's hard to hire a HC from a different region. Someone used to living in a big sprawling metro area is gonna want to be back in a big sprawling metro area for the long term. He may take a job in West Texas, knowing he won't be there forever and will have a goal of getting back to DFW, GHA, SAT or AUS someday soon. Us city folk just ain't used to the slower country lifestyle and all.
                            Super B

Comment

• Shady12
                              2nd Team
                              • Apr 2015

That's what was good about Warren in Abilene and Davis in San Angelo. Both West Texans and even Angelo State alums. Feldt is from Midland so I figure he'll stay there as long as he can.

Comment

• SanAngeloBobcat
                                Practice Squad
                                • Jun 2015

Key phrase in bold. Everything you have stated is going off the past. Abilene hasn't really been themselves since the 2009 campaign, with only a .500 record in district the past 2 seasons. San Angelo Central is clearly the class of West Texas today with a better than average chance to grab their 3rd consecutive district championship. IMO the only thing standing in their way is Permian, but I think they would have to hand Mojo the game for that to happen.

I don't believe Abilene even has the best running back in the district last season, and he's coming off major knee surgery. I don't recall anyone stepping up to take his place last season, in fact Warren had to revamp the offense using Childress in various roles to make up for the lack of a legit running back replacement. So I'm not sure where this slew of others came from.
                                Speedy, I think you are underestimating Abilene and I would tap the brake on that talk about the Bobcats being the "class of WT". Sure, San Angelo has had recent success, but remember, 7 years ago this program was 0-10 while Abilene was setting the standard for West Texas football. Thank the Lord (and Dr. Bonds) Coach Davis and his staff came to the rescue and rebuilt the program to where the Bobcats can consistently compete for, and recently win, district championships, but I would still consider Abilene the class of West Texas based on what they have accomplished over the past 10-12 years. The Bobcats currently have the hot hand, but I think it will take a combination of consistency at the top of the district, eliminating those slip ups like they've had against Tascosa and Franklin, and getting past the third round once in while to establish San Angelo as the "class" of West Texas.

Comment

• SanAngeloBobcat
                                  Practice Squad
                                  • Jun 2015

Abilene most definitely has the best RB in the district if he's healthy. Not even close. He may be the best overall player in the district if he's healthy. He's special and it's like watching a cartoon superhero where you touch him and you go flying in the other direction.
                                  I agree with Shady. I don't think there is much comparison between Dobbins and Smith. Dobbins was good, but Smith is special.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBobcat

Speedy, I think you are underestimating Abilene and I would tap the brake on that talk about the Bobcats being the "class of WT". Sure, San Angelo has had recent success, but remember, 7 years ago this program was 0-10 while Abilene was setting the standard for West Texas football. Thank the Lord (and Dr. Bonds) Coach Davis and his staff came to the rescue and rebuilt the program to where the Bobcats can consistently compete for, and recently win, district championships, but I would still consider Abilene the class of West Texas based on what they have accomplished over the past 10-12 years. The Bobcats currently have the hot hand, but I think it will take a combination of consistency at the top of the district, eliminating those slip ups like they've had against Tascosa and Franklin, and getting past the third round once in while to establish San Angelo as the "class" of West Texas.

We all have our opinions I reckon. The original poster asked about who had the best shot here and now, not yesterday or 10 years past. Right now, I believe that is San Angelo Central Bobcats.

Comment

• SanAngeloBobcat
                                      Practice Squad
                                      • Jun 2015

We all have our opinions I reckon. The original poster asked about who had the best shot here and now, not yesterday or 10 years past. Right now, I believe that is San Angelo Central Bobcats.
                                      I agree with you about opinions and I respect yours. I certainly hope your prediction about the Bobcats is correct!

Comment

• King_Curtis
                                        Practice Squad
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by PermianFan
                                        You have been flagged. I registered specifically so I could do that. You have since edited your post, but that doesn't change your original statement. You like to attack Permian fans and players. I don't know if there are many of us on this board yet, but I am here and I will flag you whenever you make more of your hateful posts about us. Talk about football and leave the mudslinging at home.
                                        I see your menses are upon us. But hey, the flip side to that coin is at least you're not pregnant!

Comment

• mojotrain
                                          2nd Team
                                          • Jun 2015

Hot dang! Another place to join in, in a giant whizzing contest. Like the rest of the West Texan posters here, I'll be perfectly non bias in my support of the Panthers. I won't get into the
                                          my back is better than your back spill because IMO you either go by stats or you go by supposition. Supposition is loaded with if's and but's and in this districts case, what may have been, except for injuries. Suppositions and injuries aside, I suppose the back from OHS was as good as any in the district. I don't know what he could have done playing a full season. In truth I'd rather face any back in the district in 2015 than a healthy him. I know in his last game at OHS he flat out nailed his value. As I understand, he is now out of the picture.Other than that, on the subject concerning running backs, for how it happened, for how it really was, It's documented, it's in the books, it's fact and not supposition. Check it out. Just sayin!

Permian joined the rest of the state for the up-coming season. What forever has been 3 different feeder schools playing as three different 9th grade teams with three different sets of coach's now will be on campus. That adds one more year of our kids doing exactly what the big boys do. That will have a huge effect on the 2016 season and beyond.

Feldt finished 9-3 last year while still fighting and over coming a attitude(concerning work ethics) left by a previous staff. Maintaining Permian's progress gained in the last two years should be no problem. Feldt spent three years looking at the bottom of Permian's tenny runners. He knows for sure what excellent Permian looks like and the most important thing, he seems to like Penny's and Dillard's
                                          as well as Macy's and Neiman Marcus so I don't worry about flight before his job is done.

QB seems to be nailed down by a part time starter over the last two years. His main challenger will be on the field as a receiver and if you have a better than a Roy Williams snagging balls for ya then you have a better receiver than him. Our best athlete on the team was nicked in 7 on 7 so if the suspected injury is as described he will be out until ??? Other quality receivers are ready. Permian's running back did well last year with 1600 yds and missed one game. He's better than that.

The defense IMO will be the strongest part of the team. We finally are back to playing tackle football. Eight returners, all bigger and stronger.

Feldts program isn't Permian yet. But gathering the freshman, all in one covey will turn the trick. When that's done he can concentrate on the Pop Warner aged kiddo's.

I'll pick Permian to finish third, (although I don't see anyone in district beating them) as it looks like Abilene/ San Angelo or San Angelo/ Abilene have got 1st and 2nd all sewed up. I see a 14 game season for the boy's in black. .

Comment

• Eagledad_28
                                            Practice Squad
                                            • Jun 2015

Well hi guys been a long time since I been on here. A lot of good talk on here.. Ready for some football!!!!!

Comment

• Super B
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
                                              Hot dang! Another place to join in, in a giant whizzing contest. Like the rest of the West Texan posters here, I'll be perfectly non bias in my support of the Panthers. I won't get into the
                                              my back is better than your back spill because IMO you either go by stats or you go by supposition. Supposition is loaded with if's and but's and in this districts case, what may have been, except for injuries. Suppositions and injuries aside, I suppose the back from OHS was as good as any in the district. I don't know what he could have done playing a full season. In truth I'd rather face any back in the district in 2015 than a healthy him. I know in his last game at OHS he flat out nailed his value. As I understand, he is now out of the picture.Other than that, on the subject concerning running backs, for how it happened, for how it really was, It's documented, it's in the books, it's fact and not supposition. Check it out. Just sayin!

Permian joined the rest of the state for the up-coming season. What forever has been 3 different feeder schools playing as three different 9th grade teams with three different sets of coach's now will be on campus. That adds one more year of our kids doing exactly what the big boys do. That will have a huge effect on the 2016 season and beyond.

Feldt finished 9-3 last year while still fighting and over coming a attitude(concerning work ethics) left by a previous staff. Maintaining Permian's progress gained in the last two years should be no problem. Feldt spent three years looking at the bottom of Permian's tenny runners. He knows for sure what excellent Permian looks like and the most important thing, he seems to like Penny's and Dillard's
                                              as well as Macy's and Neiman Marcus so I don't worry about flight before his job is done.

QB seems to be nailed down by a part time starter over the last two years. His main challenger will be on the field as a receiver and if you have a better than a Roy Williams snagging balls for ya then you have a better receiver than him. Our best athlete on the team was nicked in 7 on 7 so if the suspected injury is as described he will be out until ??? Other quality receivers are ready. Permian's running back did well last year with 1600 yds and missed one game. He's better than that.

The defense IMO will be the strongest part of the team. We finally are back to playing tackle football. Eight returners, all bigger and stronger.

Feldts program isn't Permian yet. But gathering the freshman, all in one covey will turn the trick. When that's done he can concentrate on the Pop Warner aged kiddo's.

I'll pick Permian to finish third, (although I don't see anyone in district beating them) as it looks like Abilene/ San Angelo or San Angelo/ Abilene have got 1st and 2nd all sewed up. I see a 14 game season for the boy's in black. .
                                              Welcome to the board. I hope you like it.
                                              Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad_28
                                                Well hi guys been a long time since I been on here. A lot of good talk on here.. Ready for some football!!!!!
                                                Welcome to the board!
                                                Super B

Comment

• Shady12
                                                  2nd Team
                                                  • Apr 2015

If Permian has a receiver better than Roy Williams then Abram Smith is better than Cedric Benson. Honestly I won't say Smith will be as good as El Ced but he's probably closer to him than any other back in the district, such as Galindo or Bailey, is to Smith. Maybe he just ate extra Wheaties the night he played in San Angelo but that night he looked like at least a 4-star talent. Hope he gets to 100% fast so he can build up that recruiting momentum.

Comment

• Eagledad_28
                                                    Practice Squad
                                                    • Jun 2015

Well shady got to say went to Baylor camp this past Sunday tons of kids there .. Abram did impressed them coaches said a lot of good stuff while we were there talking .. We have Tulsa tomorrow with them coaches .. A lot d-1 stuff already coming in mail .. So yea we are getting him ready for fall .. A lot bigger than last year have say so it's gonna be fun playing y'all maybe we can meet up and meet each orther when we play y'all ..

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                                                      Welcome to the board. I hope you like it.
                                                      Already do, but I can already tell I need more help from other Permian fans.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                        2nd Team
                                                        • Jun 2015

Don't fret about being over- zealous or defending the Eagle kids. If we don't promote, no one else will. In Permian's day there was Lee, Cooper, Permian and San Angelo. As long as Permian is one of the four then I'm good for another go. When we have more like those, year in and year out, this district becomes relative again. Truthfully, I hate getting beat by any other district team than a El Paso school. I think that makes us better. In those days no one outside of West Texas could figure out how this district dominated the state. It's no different today that back then. What it was we can and I'm convinced we'll get it back. If I didn't think so I'd quit following and quit posting, get out my trains and watch them circle a three rail track.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                          2nd Team
                                                          • Jun 2015

If Permian has a receiver better than Roy Williams then Abram Smith is better than Cedric Benson. Honestly I won't say Smith will be as good as El Ced but he's probably closer to him than any other back in the district, such as Galindo or Bailey, is to Smith. Maybe he just ate extra Wheaties the night he played in San Angelo but that night he looked like at least a 4-star talent. Hope he gets to 100% fast so he can build up that recruiting momentum.
                                                          I'm pulling back a bit on the receiver. He's not an exact clone. I'm not sure he has the speed that Roy has. But mercy he can catch annnnnnnd, he's just a sophomore to be. Benson remember, won state in his sophomore season and there were not over one or two d-1 players. Same in both his junior and senior seasons. in his supporting cast. For three years he ran roughshod over this states very best not just district foe's but those from the ground to the crown. Not saying the Abilene kid can't but he will need to show me. I can be impressed by players from other than Permian. I seen the best that West Texas has offered since the late fifty's. If he can fit it in the top 5. He's in fine cotton. We'll see. .

Comment

• Super B
                                                            All District
                                                            • Apr 2015

Already do, but I can already tell I need more help from other Permian fans.
                                                            Spread the news.
                                                            Super B

Comment

• SLC13
                                                              '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                                                              • Apr 2015

Train, Glad to see that you made it over to this board!! Now we get to exchange pleasantries in a couple places!!

I have to attribute your 14 game season prediction to the optimism of spring. Unless my eyes deceived me last year, there was a pretty large gap to overcome in week 13. Have your 150 LBers really grown that much over the winter??

Comment

Working...