West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain

Can you tell me what you know about those recruitment scandals? As I remember one of Permian's best teams ever was kicked out of the state playoffs for taking in a third string offensive guard from OHS. Only a goober pea would think Permian would risk losing a playoff berth for the sake of a 3rd string guard.

Have you dragged your disdain for Permian over to this board also? Scandals, those rumored and those proven as true pop up in every city, don't they? .(trap question)

Comment

• Eagledad
      Special Teams
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Oh as far as Abilene goes, it was just a practice game. We didn't want to show you everything in the event we met up with you in round 4.
      Very true and historically a frustrating fact of the Steve Warren Era! He would drive you crazy in the pre-season with bland plays and working on the weakness of the team. Honestly he wanted to win every game but was also knew what a preseason game was for! Work on the little things and your improve your weaknesses!

Comment

• Eagledad
        Special Teams
        • Aug 2015

Eagledad truths for the Eagles and District as they are seen right now................

1. San Angelo IS the team to beat until you beat them!
        2. Permian is more than likely better than last year, has a good coach and is going in the right direction.........Just as above needs to translate to a win before I can buy in. Disciplined play may be the difference this year? Maybe it will!
        3. Eagles proved on the field last year the they were just as good as the San Angelo Team minus 1-yard with a great showing against eventual State Champ CHILL. There was not a significant difference between the two teams.
        4. Eagles may be getting underestimated so far based upon what I have been seen but that too needs to be seen on the field. Will know more after the 21st. Of course last year we were supposed to finish 4th so 3rd this year is an improvement!
        5. Smith was cutting and running just fine this morning! + The backup kid from last year looks bigger and quicker at RB = Abilene will be just fine at the RB position for 2015! If they put both of them in the backfield at the same time who do you key on? Of course then you add #5 below in the mix..................um could be ok in the running game but that is just speculation.
        6. New QB is looking just fine as well. Bigger and as fast if not faster than last year's qb who was a good one. Was timed at a couple of camps this summer 4.51 range(40yd) Potential is there to be special but just potential right now. I do expect some growing pains in the preseason, but good growth by district!
        7. O-line had a good summer of workouts! Will be a bigger line than we have seen in a while. Starters as of now from left to right........ 275 270 265 325 290 with a TE at 265
        (CAVEAT...............LT is not solidified yet could go with aggressive smaller kid and I am not positive on the Center weight could be bigger or slightly smaller.)
        8. Running game is ahead of last year right now and the passing game is close. Our passing game will not look like last year though...........more run pass option, playaction etc. Looks good!
        9. As of now everyone has a chance, but my favs for the playoffs in no particular order...................San Angelo, Permian, Abilene and Midland (if Galindo does play then Odessa!)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AGAINST PRE-SEASON OPPONENTS LET THE DISTRICT ALL BE UNDEFEATED AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED WHEN DISTRICT PLAY BEGINS! MORE IMPORTANTLY LETS ALL HOPE FOR AN INJURY FREE PRESEASON FOR EVERYONE! GLAD TO BE BACK TO THE FALL!!!!!

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Eagledad - Pre-Season? You mean non-district or pre-district. The season starts on the weekend of August 28th. All games count towards a teams record. The only "pre-season games" are scrimmages.
          Super B

Comment

• Eagledad
            Special Teams
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Super B
            Eagledad - Pre-Season? You mean non-district or pre-district. The season starts on the weekend of August 28th. All games count towards a teams record. The only "pre-season games" are scrimmages.

Call it what you want, I say preseason you say pre-district either way the games do not mean a thing towards making a playoff spot or a championship. Scrimmages are not games but glorified practices honestly.

Comment

• Super B
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad

Call it what you want, I say preseason you say pre-district either way the games do not mean a thing towards making a playoff spot or a championship. Scrimmages are not games but glorified practices honestly.
              The season is almost here, not a month and a half away. To each his own though.
              Super B

Comment

• mojotrain
                2nd Team
                • Jun 2015

Is Odessa experiencing the same fallout?

(MIDLAND, TX) - Dozens of Faculty and Staff members at Midland ISD may be out of a job due to the economic impact of the oil bust.

This is according to our sister station KMID. They report Superintendent Ryder Warren claims the state is cutting costs within MISD, providing funds at a much lower rate than last year.

Student enrollment is expected to drop for the first time in several years, and the change could prove drastic. As many as 700 students are leaving the district - a statistic directly related to the downturn of the region's oil industry.

In response to lower enrollment, 80 full-time administrative, teaching, and support positions will likely be cut. The district is already anticipating the move.

The Board of Trustees is still trying to work out the details with the staff of MISD, so the budget hearings and final decisions are expected to carry on through the month.

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/ne...-district-jobs
                Yeah at the end of last week ECISD was over 200 teachers short. Last year the number was over 300 all year long.

Comment

• Eagle82
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Yeah at the end of last week ECISD was over 200 teachers short. Last year the number was over 300 all year long.
                  wow, that's quite a bit.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Eagledad truths for the Eagles and District as they are seen right now................

2. Permian is more than likely better than last year, has a good coach and is going in the right direction.........Just as above needs to translate to a win before I can buy in. Disciplined play may be the difference this year? Maybe it will!
                    3. Eagles proved on the field last year the they were just as good as the San Angelo Team minus 1-yard with a great showing against eventual State Champ CHILL. There was not a significant difference between the two teams.
                    4. Eagles may be getting underestimated so far based upon what I have been seen but that too needs to be seen on the field. Will know more after the 21st. Of course last year we were supposed to finish 4th so 3rd this year is an improvement!
                    5. Smith was cutting and running just fine this morning! + The backup kid from last year looks bigger and quicker at RB = Abilene will be just fine at the RB position for 2015! If they put both of them in the backfield at the same time who do you key on? Of course then you add #5 below in the mix..................um could be ok in the running game but that is just speculation.
                    6. New QB is looking just fine as well. Bigger and as fast if not faster than last year's qb who was a good one. Was timed at a couple of camps this summer 4.51 range(40yd) Potential is there to be special but just potential right now. I do expect some growing pains in the preseason, but good growth by district!
                    7. O-line had a good summer of workouts! Will be a bigger line than we have seen in a while. Starters as of now from left to right........ 275 270 265 325 290 with a TE at 265
                    (CAVEAT...............LT is not solidified yet could go with aggressive smaller kid and I am not positive on the Center weight could be bigger or slightly smaller.)
                    8. Running game is ahead of last year right now and the passing game is close. Our passing game will not look like last year though...........more run pass option, playaction etc. Looks good!
                    9. As of now everyone has a chance, but my favs for the playoffs in no particular order...................San Angelo, Permian, Abilene and Midland (if Galindo does play then Odessa!)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AGAINST PRE-SEASON OPPONENTS LET THE DISTRICT ALL BE UNDEFEATED AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED WHEN DISTRICT PLAY BEGINS! MORE IMPORTANTLY LETS ALL HOPE FOR AN INJURY FREE PRESEASON FOR EVERYONE! GLAD TO BE BACK TO THE FALL!!!!!
                    Good stuff EDad, please, keep it coming.

SAC is the team to beat and I think Abilene and Mojo could do it this year.

Exciting to know we're going to be using a true TE this season. I think this team will make a good showing and with the backfield and line, cause headaches on the ground. AS is a year older and while many may disagree about his talent, he's beginning to play against the same kiddos he ran all over in Jr. High and his freshman year.

Comment

• mojotrain
                      2nd Team
                      • Jun 2015

wow, that's quite a bit.
                      Just so's ya know.

p s we need 60 bus drivers.

Comment

• Eagledad
                        Special Teams
                        • Aug 2015

Good lord that is a ton! Why is Midland shrinking and Odessa still growing?

Comment

• Eagledad
                          Special Teams
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                          The season is almost here, not a month and a half away. To each his own though.

Yep to each his own this is a irrelevant argument so why argue! LOL!

Comment

• Eagledad
                            Special Teams
                            • Aug 2015

Mojotrain what will be the major difference between last year Mojo team and this year?

Comment

• mojotrain
                              2nd Team
                              • Jun 2015

Mojotrain what will be the major difference between last year Mojo team and this year?
                              O- line, not bigger but much quicker and stronger
                              O- backfield, q b stronger and quicker. running backs stronger and quicker and excellent pass receiver's.
                              Receiver's - depth and good football speed. Looking at it right now we will be better suited on good yardage after the catch rather than long bombs. A possibility exist for a super receiver to emerge out of this group.

Overall they do look much stronger and quicker from the crown to the ground.

I can't see the D guys work out as they are on the other end of the field. From a distance they look bigger on the line. This is where we have huge expectations because of so much returning experience. and I expect this is where the money will be made at. I'll know more after the Frenship scrimmage.

It's a hard thing to keep from doing, but when we think of all of "the we gonna be bigger and faster" we fail to consider that every other team else isn't just marking time waiting for our boy's to catch up.

Don't be looking for over 1 D-1 recruit on this team. They may pop later on but for now I don't see them. That negative won't make any difference if they play like I expect. This team will be good.

Comment

• Shady12
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

I'm not overlooking Abilene. I think they'll be in the top two when it's all said and done.

If the QB is that fast he's one of the fastest players in the district.

That is a huge offensive line and TE. The running game should be devastating.

Bobcats-

I'd say the weaknesses are experience at oline and receiver. Talent and size at both positions though. Starting four receivers will average about 6'3" and range between 6'1" and 6'6" and one of them has D1 offers.

Line has a SMU commit at LT and go 6'5" 280 6'0" 275 6'1" 290 6'2" 280 and the RT is looking good, not sure on size, never seen it listed, but guessing 6'3" ish and pretty big.

Last year's oline also had to replace guys and this one probably has more talent if it comes together.

Most interesting thing for me is the running backs. Should be a lot better and that could make a big difference. The one returner has had a good offseason and has some talent. Also got a apparent move in, a junior who was a good sprinter as a soph, great in the passing game and some power and moves at over 200 pounds.

Defensive should be as good or better than last year. Front seven will be tough. Two DT's in the 300 pound range, a good DE who is a D1 commit, and some depth. Junior two year starter 6'1" 230 LB manning the middle and another good LB. Replacing a couple in the secondary but some good players back.

Only four home games. That kind of sucks.

Comment

• coriv
                                  Practice Squad
                                  • Jun 2015

Here's an OA article on the Bronchos.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Aug 2015

O- line, not bigger but much quicker and stronger
                                    O- backfield, q b stronger and quicker. running backs stronger and quicker and excellent pass receiver's.
                                    Receiver's - depth and good football speed. Looking at it right now we will be better suited on good yardage after the catch rather than long bombs. A possibility exist for a super receiver to emerge out of this group.

Overall they do look much stronger and quicker from the crown to the ground.

I can't see the D guys work out as they are on the other end of the field. From a distance they look bigger on the line. This is where we have huge expectations because of so much returning experience. and I expect this is where the money will be made at. I'll know more after the Frenship scrimmage.

It's a hard thing to keep from doing, but when we think of all of "the we gonna be bigger and faster" we fail to consider that every other team else isn't just marking time waiting for our boy's to catch up.

Don't be looking for over 1 D-1 recruit on this team. They may pop later on but for now I don't see them. That negative won't make any difference if they play like I expect. This team will be good.

Oh what a difference a year makes!!! Sounds good as with all of us we will know much more in about a week!

As far as Abilene goes............right now (without pads) I am liking alot what I see, same story here look bigger and faster across the board. I think it would be a unanimous vote that we are ahead of last year in most phases.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                      Special Teams
                                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

I'm not overlooking Abilene. I think they'll be in the top two when it's all said and done.

If the QB is that fast he's one of the fastest players in the district.

That is a huge offensive line and TE. The running game should be devastating.

Bobcats-

I'd say the weaknesses are experience at oline and receiver. Talent and size at both positions though. Starting four receivers will average about 6'3" and range between 6'1" and 6'6" and one of them has D1 offers.

Line has a SMU commit at LT and go 6'5" 280 6'0" 275 6'1" 290 6'2" 280 and the RT is looking good, not sure on size, never seen it listed, but guessing 6'3" ish and pretty big.

Last year's oline also had to replace guys and this one probably has more talent if it comes together.

Most interesting thing for me is the running backs. Should be a lot better and that could make a big difference. The one returner has had a good offseason and has some talent. Also got a apparent move in, a junior who was a good sprinter as a soph, great in the passing game and some power and moves at over 200 pounds.

Defensive should be as good or better than last year. Front seven will be tough. Two DT's in the 300 pound range, a good DE who is a D1 commit, and some depth. Junior two year starter 6'1" 230 LB manning the middle and another good LB. Replacing a couple in the secondary but some good players back.

I have heard the Rec. corp is very tall! Our lines look to be similar in size which is a big change for us. Most of the staff are excited about the possibilities this line may give us...........whether it will become a reality is yet to be seen. I did verify today that the Junior Center is running at 265.

Your move in sounds interesting at that size for RB! Correct me if I am wrong but is the new QB not a runner like last year? Our QB was clocked (by hand so take what you will from that) during 3 different camps between 4.48 and 4.57 per my information. The 4.51 was a verifiable speed I got from a 3rd party coach unrelated to the kid so I went with that one. Hand timing is always a little subjective so lets just say he runs between 4.5 and 4.6. I do believe he will run the ball (keep on the option) more than we have since the 09/10 years. The RB that came in for Smith in the playoffs is a true sub 4.5 guy but is small while we all know what Smith can do if healthy. Put all 3 in the backfield and you have a pretty good tandem to have to defend and add in the play action with the TE/WR group................suddenly I really like our offensive potential.

Your DE #15 from last year, that I think is coming back was a great player in my opinion and likely was one of the best in the District! Per my own kid who had the opportunity to block him, he was the toughest he thought he faced in the Running game all year with good hands and quickness. Pass rushing he put him in the top 3 with the toughest being the kid from CHILL but said the your kid was very close. The other kid that was good was the kid from Midland. Overall, all three good/great players !

Defensively we should good................I am comfortable the NG will get the job done and one of the DE looks good and quick..................Just gotta find the 3rd guy right now in my opinion...................However................. .........there has been some interesting moves during practice that tell me the front 3 will be shored up one way or another. Our back 8 guys will be tough as all were seen last year and return with alot of experience.

Good luck in your pre-season (pre-district for my friend SUPER B)

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Will the San Angelo move ins be a problem at the DEC? Could be interesting. Those tend to go above the radar in our district. Dont know anything about it but I would guess the paper work will have to be in order and at least one parent permanently living in the district.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

I'm going to create a topic titled, Abilene Eagle Move-In Watch...

Bet it stays quiet and empty!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                            Special Teams
                                            • May 2015

Bobcats-

Based on this I'd say Bobcats are the front runners for good reason.

Comment

• Shady12
                                              2nd Team
                                              • Apr 2015

I have heard the Rec. corp is very tall! Our lines look to be similar in size which is a big change for us. Most of the staff are excited about the possibilities this line may give us...........whether it will become a reality is yet to be seen. I did verify today that the Junior Center is running at 265.

Your move in sounds interesting at that size for RB! Correct me if I am wrong but is the new QB not a runner like last year? Our QB was clocked (by hand so take what you will from that) during 3 different camps between 4.48 and 4.57 per my information. The 4.51 was a verifiable speed I got from a 3rd party coach unrelated to the kid so I went with that one. Hand timing is always a little subjective so lets just say he runs between 4.5 and 4.6. I do believe he will run the ball (keep on the option) more than we have since the 09/10 years. The RB that came in for Smith in the playoffs is a true sub 4.5 guy but is small while we all know what Smith can do if healthy. Put all 3 in the backfield and you have a pretty good tandem to have to defend and add in the play action with the TE/WR group................suddenly I really like our offensive potential.

Your DE #15 from last year, that I think is coming back was a great player in my opinion and likely was one of the best in the District! Per my own kid who had the opportunity to block him, he was the toughest he thought he faced in the Running game all year with good hands and quickness. Pass rushing he put him in the top 3 with the toughest being the kid from CHILL but said the your kid was very close. The other kid that was good was the kid from Midland. Overall, all three good/great players !

Defensively we should good................I am comfortable the NG will get the job done and one of the DE looks good and quick..................Just gotta find the 3rd guy right now in my opinion...................However................. .........there has been some interesting moves during practice that tell me the front 3 will be shored up one way or another. Our back 8 guys will be tough as all were seen last year and return with alot of experience.

#15 is playing in Denton for the North Texas Mean Green. He's a big loss. The kid who played at the other DE spot is also a college player though. Different though, not as heavy but quicker. #15 was 250 pounds and the guy replacing him is only 220 maybe. Looked good though in the spring game and the small DT who is 250 is athletic and will probably play some DE as well.

QB can run. Has good speed and a few long touchdown runs. At 1:45 of this video he takes it 65 yards to the house- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/...s/202899376/v2

Just wasn't asked to do it I don't think that much in MF. I'm hoping improved running from the backs will mean he doesn't have to do what Hucks did in the ground game.

Figured that was hand timed. Still fast but a lot of 4.5 hand timed guys run 4.8s electronically. Which yeah is still fast, it's just all relative. When I played we had like 20 something guys run under a 4.6 hand timed.
                                              Last edited by Shady12; 08-12-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                                Special Teams
                                                • May 2015

Who will be stepping on D Line for Espy, Cooke and Berry ? Defense should be pretty solid otherwise with the returning 8

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                  2nd Team
                                                  • Jun 2015

Well,,,,, Permian has a rb/rec that did a 48 foot triple jump this summer.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                    2nd Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

Good thing for everyone else that triple jumps don't get you any points in football.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                      Special Teams
                                                      • Aug 2015

#15 is playing in Denton for the North Texas Mean Green. He's a big loss. The kid who played at the other DE spot is also a college player though. Different though, not as heavy but quicker. #15 was 250 pounds and the guy replacing him is only 220 maybe. Looked good though in the spring game and the small DT who is 250 is athletic and will probably play some DE as well.

QB can run. Has good speed and a few long touchdown runs. At 1:45 of this video he takes it 65 yards to the house- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/...s/202899376/v2

Just wasn't asked to do it I don't think that much in MF. I'm hoping improved running from the backs will mean he doesn't have to do what Hucks did in the ground game.

Figured that was hand timed. Still fast but a lot of 4.5 hand timed guys run 4.8s electronically. Which yeah is still fast, it's just all relative. When I played we had like 20 something guys run under a 4.6 hand timed.

Yes he was a good kid I was very impressed with him! From our end glad he is gone! LOL! And I think it anyone will be hard pressed to say Hucks wasnt a nightmare to defend! I agree on the hand timed 40yds vs electronic..............however there are alot of 4.5 guys in shorts that run 4.9's in pads. The key here I think will be this kid runs good in pads. If I knew how could put a play from the spring where he is pulling away from our guys and they aren't slow by any stretch.

There is no way to word this next question/observation without it sounding like a dig and I hope you will understand it is not intended that way but is something that does not make since?

1. Do you think the transition from the lower classification of MF to 6A will make a difference in your QB production? Lets face it, he has not seen DB's like our district will show him across the board in speed, size or ability. There will be better competition than what was seen in the highlights. He probably has faced 1 or 2 a game from that level but never 4 or 5 like he will see here?

2. 7 on 7 is meaningless from the Running game effect on the passing game (playaction, run/pass option etc.) But why did your QB and those big receivers not have more success in the 7 on 7 stuff this summer. I apologize if this question causes defensiveness it really is a confusing stat with the talent that is there! I think I am not the only one who expected SAC to do better.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

Who will be stepping on D Line for Espy, Cooke and Berry ? Defense should be pretty solid otherwise with the returning 8

NG will be the kid that played a decent bit last year as a fill in for all 3. The right side guy is a new comer but he is bigger then last year that he is replacing. The other side is a toss up right now I think. As I have said before that group was special together and will hard to replace.................I think we will be solid, but maybe not as flashy. I don't want to say too much but there are two unusual personnel groupings they are doing that when those are in place...............I am not sure the front aren't better at that point. We will see, but keep in mind going into last year.................Nobody knew ESPY, COOKE or BERRY either and from the prior year no one expected us to be that good on defense, including myself. I think we will be fine once settled in.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                          Special Teams
                                                          • Aug 2015

Well,,,,, Permian has a rb/rec that did a 48 foot triple jump this summer.

Abilene was working on football this summer not track so he wins the triple jump! LOL!

Comment

• Eagledad
                                                            Special Teams
                                                            • Aug 2015

I assume everyone will be hitting for the first time in pads today? Any thoughts after seeing the pads come on?

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                              2nd Team
                                                              • Jun 2015

Abilene was working on football this summer not track so he wins the triple jump! LOL!
                                                              lol lol lol lol giggle giggle giggle,,,,good point! Hadn't thought of that. Wish we had worked on football all summer. No wonder the Eagles are so good. lol lol lol.

Comment

Working...