West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

• Firefox
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

I think SA Central has a pretty good team coming back, how about MOJO and Abilene?

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

I've said it elsewhere and have tended to tick off fellow West Texas fans.

Going undefeated through the regular season seems to give a false sense of just how good a team is as very few have been able to get past round three come playoff time. Actually I believe Abilene is the only team to have done so as of late, though 2009 is beginning to distance itself from the present. Until recently with the Midland/Odessa area, families just didn't have a reason to relocate to this neck of the woods. Home grown talent is what we put on the field and these kids play with heart and give it all they can. In the end though the metroplex schools are able to produce a slew of athletes on their teams resulting in wins.

I feel Central has the advantage. They've got a lot of home grown talent and great coaching staff, not losing too much of the home grown talent to the smaller schools in the area as Abilene does. Sure, they got a move-in QB this year but he's replacing one of the best QB's they have had in their history, big shoes to fill. Will they get past round three this year? It depends on the matchups. D2-R1 upper bracket representative should be a battle between Central and Abilene. A possible rematch between Central and SLC or a same season rematch between Abilene and SLC could occur. SLC may not get there this year given their possible round one game but whomever is there, they will be a tough opponent for either Central or Abilene. The lower bracket of R1 could see Chill as the opponent once again. For some reason Chill seems to struggle against Abilene teams so there's a chance of an upset. It remains to be seen how Central would match up against Chill. Then there is round 1 as Lamar will not be wanting a one and done again this year and we all know they are loaded with talent.

So to answer your question, at this point I have to go with Central leading the charge with Abilene having the ability. Mojo will have a good team again but going D1 and round three, it probably won't happen this year.

A note on Abilene. We are loaded with young talent though the next alignment will more than likely see Abilene drop to 5A. If that occurs and Abilene Wylie moves up, Abilene will have three schools in that classification. 5A won't be a cakewalk. That being said, Abilene may be removed from the mix of 6A football beginning season 2016.

Comment

• Firefox
        Special Teams
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
        I've said it elsewhere and have tended to tick off fellow West Texas fans.

Going undefeated through the regular season seems to give a false sense of just how good a team is as very few have been able to get past round three come playoff time. Actually I believe Abilene is the only team to have done so as of late, though 2009 is beginning to distance itself from the present. Until recently with the Midland/Odessa area, families just didn't have a reason to relocate to this neck of the woods. Home grown talent is what we put on the field and these kids play with heart and give it all they can. In the end though the metroplex schools are able to produce a slew of athletes on their teams resulting in wins.

I feel Central has the advantage. They've got a lot of home grown talent and great coaching staff, not losing too much of the home grown talent to the smaller schools in the area as Abilene does. Sure, they got a move-in QB this year but he's replacing one of the best QB's they have had in their history, big shoes to fill. Will they get past round three this year? It depends on the matchups. D2-R1 upper bracket representative should be a battle between Central and Abilene. A possible rematch between Central and SLC or a same season rematch between Abilene and SLC could occur. SLC may not get there this year given their possible round one game but whomever is there, they will be a tough opponent for either Central or Abilene. The lower bracket of R1 could see Chill as the opponent once again. For some reason Chill seems to struggle against Abilene teams so there's a chance of an upset. It remains to be seen how Central would match up against Chill. Then there is round 1 as Lamar will not be wanting a one and done again this year and we all know they are loaded with talent.

So to answer your question, at this point I have to go with Central leading the charge with Abilene having the ability. Mojo will have a good team again but going D1 and round three, it probably won't happen this year.

A note on Abilene. We are loaded with young talent though the next alignment will more than likely see Abilene drop to 5A. If that occurs and Abilene Wylie moves up, Abilene will have three schools in that classification. 5A won't be a cakewalk. That being said, Abilene may be removed from the mix of 6A football beginning season 2016.
        I appreciate all the good info, I like hearing about the west teams.

Comment

I do not know if West Texas will ever return to the dominance they once held, under current conditions anyway.

San Angelo Central has the best shot. With the new quarterback coming in to complete the puzzle, they will continue to be the class of West Texas. Good material and great coaching staff.

Permian is next, they will be better than last year but it may not show in the final stats. Coaching staff is on the right track.

Midland might finally achieve where they should, instead of underachieving. Good skill material, if Yenzer will just use it is the question. Most years they have potential to rule the district. I think coaching holds them back sometimes.

Abilene takes a major hit by losing Steve Warren and their two playmakers Childress and Scott, and they have big question marks at running back. But 2-3 in district can get you in the playoffs, and I think the Eagles can manage that.

Odessa could move up if the have the return of their stud running back. last I heard he was off the team.

Midland Lee under Morton is not very good. Probably his last season there.

Comment

• Firefox
            Special Teams
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedy West
            I do not know if West Texas will ever return to the dominance they once held, under current conditions anyway.

San Angelo Central has the best shot. With the new quarterback coming in to complete the puzzle, they will continue to be the class of West Texas. Good material and great coaching staff.

Permian is next, they will be better than last year but it may not show in the final stats. Coaching staff is on the right track.

Midland might finally achieve where they should, instead of underachieving. Good skill material, if Yenzer will just use it is the question. Most years they have potential to rule the district. I think coaching holds them back sometimes.

Abilene takes a major hit by losing Steve Warren and their two playmakers Childress and Scott, and they have big question marks at running back. But 2-3 in district can get you in the playoffs, and I think the Eagles can manage that.

Odessa could move up if the have the return of their stud running back. last I heard he was off the team.

Thanks Speedy,
            There's a lot to say about losing a great coach like Warren. We lost (Trinity) Lineweaver but he hand-picked his replacement and we only had to backfill the OC. All the coaches backed Jensen and we got a "stud" OC to upgrade the coaching spot. I don't think Jensen would argue that and Jensen is as great of a guy as you would ever meet.

Comment

• Eagle82
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Sure, San Angelo may have the best shot but they have yet to prove anything. To say they are the class of WT (or continue to be), they lack the success during the past decade to place them in that category whereas Abilene has earned it and is recognized as the class of WT. Fact is fact.

Abilene will be just fine. You state we have big questions at RB, are you sure about that? We have one of the best RB's in the state, literally and a good slew of others on the field. I am sure you meant to say QB, which may or may not be correct though we will be just fine at the QB position.

It's nice seeing people count Abilene down and out though this homer feels Abilene will make a strong run at the district title.

Comment

Sure, San Angelo may have the best shot but they have yet to prove anything. To say they are the class of WT (or continue to be), they lack the success during the past decade to place them in that category whereas Abilene has earned it and is recognized as the class of WT. Fact is fact.

Abilene will be just fine. You state we have big questions at RB, are you sure about that? We have one of the best RB's in the state, literally and a good slew of others on the field. I am sure you meant to say QB, which may or may not be correct though we will be just fine at the QB position.

It's nice seeing people count Abilene down and out though this homer feels Abilene will make a strong run at the district title.
                Key phrase in bold. Everything you have stated is going off the past. Abilene hasn't really been themselves since the 2009 campaign, with only a .500 record in district the past 2 seasons. San Angelo Central is clearly the class of West Texas today with a better than average chance to grab their 3rd consecutive district championship. IMO the only thing standing in their way is Permian, but I think they would have to hand Mojo the game for that to happen.

I don't believe Abilene even has the best running back in the district last season, and he's coming off major knee surgery. I don't recall anyone stepping up to take his place last season, in fact Warren had to revamp the offense using Childress in various roles to make up for the lack of a legit running back replacement. So I'm not sure where this slew of others came from.

Comment

Up north, it looks like Amarillo and Frenship will battle for the 2-6 championship. Amarillo returns some good size on the lines for their Wing-T offense, and all district running back Geiger returns. Frenship also returns a good back in Awalt, and is supposed to have a salty defensive backfield.

Tascosa will probably make the playoffs again. Monterey is kind of an unknown to me, but I think they can beat out Coronado for the 4th spot. Coronado is a mess.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Key phrase in bold. Everything you have stated is going off the past. Abilene hasn't really been themselves since the 2009 campaign, with only a .500 record in district the past 2 seasons. San Angelo Central is clearly the class of West Texas today with a better than average chance to grab their 3rd consecutive district championship. IMO the only thing standing in their way is Permian, but I think they would have to hand Mojo the game for that to happen.

I don't believe Abilene even has the best running back in the district last season, and he's coming off major knee surgery. I don't recall anyone stepping up to take his place last season, in fact Warren had to revamp the offense using Childress in various roles to make up for the lack of a legit running back replacement. So I'm not sure where this slew of others came from.
                    Good points but... lol

I guess it depends on how one defines "Class of WT".

Stay tuned!

and welcome to the board! Nice to have someone with WT knowledge here!
                    Last edited by Eagle82; 05-31-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Super B
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

I was actually thinking a drop to 5A would be very beneficial for West Texas teams. I hope they would not opt up. Looking at the districts and enrollments now there are several smaller 6A's. It is quite possible all Abilene, Lubbock and Amarillo teams could drop to 5A over the next few years. This would leave Midland/, Odessa and San Angelo Central as the only 6A's. It would suck for them because of potential first round games. However the 5A teams would be greatly benefited IMO. I believe they can compete better with 5A. That doesn't necessarily mean they go on some long playoff run, but there is a much better chance IMO. Aledo needs the competition, though they are DII. Maybe Aledo in a district with the three Abilene schools. The Amarillo and Lubbock schools could be added to the Wichita Falls schools, helping them too not having to be in a district with Denton and West Fort Worth. Anyway, lots of change on the horizon.
                      Super B

Comment

• Eagle82
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B

I was actually thinking a drop to 5A would be very beneficial for West Texas teams. I hope they would not opt up. Looking at the districts and enrollments now there are several smaller 6A's. It is quite possible all Abilene, Lubbock and Amarillo teams could drop to 5A over the next few years. This would leave Midland/, Odessa and San Angelo Central as the only 6A's. It would suck for them because of potential first round games. However the 5A teams would be greatly benefited IMO. I believe they can compete better with 5A. That doesn't necessarily mean they go on some long playoff run, but there is a much better chance IMO. Aledo needs the competition, though they are DII. Maybe Aledo in a district with the three Abilene schools. The Amarillo and Lubbock schools could be added to the Wichita Falls schools, helping them too not having to be in a district with Denton and West Fort Worth. Anyway, lots of change on the horizon.
                        Yes, lots of potential change on the horizon. If Abilene were to go down, depending on what happens up Lubbock way, we could be paired with Aledo. Who knows if Guyer will stay 6A as well as Ryan. 5A R1 will be tough, especially with those DFW teams so I see the round three hump remaining in effect for WT teams regardless of which classification they are in (5A or 6A). Oh and the Mansfield teams.

gee...

Comment

• Shady12
                          2nd Team
                          • Apr 2015

Abilene most definitely has the best RB in the district if he's healthy. Not even close. He may be the best overall player in the district if he's healthy. He's special and it's like watching a cartoon superhero where you touch him and you go flying in the other direction.

That said San Angelo Central does have a chance to solidify themselves as the class of WT winning another district title. That would be 4 in 5 years. Abilene has left that "title" open the last couple seasons. I could see them being as good as last season, and if so the district is up for grabs.

Central has the coaching and size. The height at WR is hard to believe. The OL may average over 280, and the DT's almost 300. The one thing they don't have that some of the really good Metroplex teams have is elite speed. They do have some speed but not Cedar Hill/Arlington Bowie speed (I was stunned by Bowie's athleticism in the playoffs...unbelievable). Back in the 90's I remember Central being very fast, although the teams weren't nearly as good as now except in 90-92.

I won't be a believer in Permian this season until I see it done. They were inconsistent last season and were dominated by Central. Just going by the 'eyeball test' for me they didn't look much better than Midland and Odessa, although I think those teams underachieved. That said Feldt has them trending up and I think what he's done with the offense is interesting and gives a unique look that was designed well for his personnel.

As far as the region being dominant again, I don't know if that will ever happen. But hopefully a team or two per season can get be a legit threat to make deep runs at the 6A level. That will get tougher with Cooper dropping and Abilene likely dropping forever.

Comment

• Eagle82
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

Abilene most definitely has the best RB in the district if he's healthy. Not even close. He may be the best overall player in the district if he's healthy. He's special and it's like watching a cartoon superhero where you touch him and you go flying in the other direction.

That said San Angelo Central does have a chance to solidify themselves as the class of WT winning another district title. That would be 4 in 5 years. Abilene has left that "title" open the last couple seasons. I could see them being as good as last season, and if so the district is up for grabs.

Central has the coaching and size. The height at WR is hard to believe. The OL may average over 280, and the DT's almost 300. The one thing they don't have that some of the really good Metroplex teams have is elite speed. They do have some speed but not Cedar Hill/Arlington Bowie speed (I was stunned by Bowie's athleticism in the playoffs...unbelievable). Back in the 90's I remember Central being very fast, although the teams weren't nearly as good as now except in 90-92.

I won't be a believer in Permian this season until I see it done. They were inconsistent last season and were dominated by Central. Just going by the 'eyeball test' for me they didn't look much better than Midland and Odessa, although I think those teams underachieved. That said Feldt has them trending up and I think what he's done with the offense is interesting and gives a unique look that was designed well for his personnel.

As far as the region being dominant again, I don't know if that will ever happen. But hopefully a team or two per season can get be a legit threat to make deep runs at the 6A level. That will get tougher with Cooper dropping and Abilene likely dropping forever.
                            Good post, thanks.

Central is the team to beat and with their QB, will provide an even more effective passing game than last year. Not sure how the kid is on running but with that line, he should have plenty of protection. Abilene's DB's are not too tall so that could pose a problem. Our OL will be larger than normal and I am hearing around a 250lb average which will be a change from years past. Our DL will be new so time will tell. RB, as you say if he stays healthy. Usually after such a surgery those knees are stronger than before.

I agree with it being doubtful WT would ever be dominate again, just too many athletes around the DFW area to fill a team. That doesn't say there won't be a team or two get past the hump and make a strong run for a title at times. Central is on course, perhaps this could be their year. Abilene is Abilene but will probably enjoy its last season in 6A this year. If Mojo can keep their coaches as Abilene and Central has, they could very well make an impact in the near future.

A word on our coach. Don't underestimate him. He has the same smarts, mindset and intensity as Warren. The kids love him and want to play for him.

Comment

• Shady12
                              2nd Team
                              • Apr 2015

Far as Wooten running goes, he's not Hucks, but he can run. Didn't run a lot last year but he does have the speed to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady12

In bold and italics. Last season, I'd say Dobbins was the best back in district 3-6a on a bad Midland Lee team. It remains to be seen what happens this season, but knee injuries are not to be taken lightly. I guess I'm like you with injured backs as you are on Permian. Until I see it with my own eyes,

Comment

• Shady12
                                  2nd Team
                                  • Apr 2015

Dobbins was good but not as good as Smith was before the injury. I saw it with my own eyes. No reason to think he won't be back to 100%. Whether it happens by the start of the season is another question.

Comment

If, if.....

If we're going to talk about ifs, I'd nominate Galindo of Odessa. If he even plays.

Comment

• SLC13
                                      '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                                      • Apr 2015

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but do have a couple thoughts on the discussions at hand.

SLC has played Midland Lee multiple times in the last 3 years and last year added AHS to our pre-district schedule, so I've see both Aron Dobbins and Abram Smith play in person. While Dobbins was a very good player, Smith was special and will show that this year assuming that he's fully recovered from the knee injury

Regarding competing against DFW Metroplex teams, I'm a firm believer that "you must play the best to beat the best". I think that Shady said he was surprised by the speed of the better DFW teams. If you wait till the PO's to experience that speed, it's likely that you will lose most of the time. .For the last decade AHS has been the only West TX team to regularly compete well and to break through the DFW barrier. I believe that was partly because Coach Warren always scheduled several good DFW teams during pre-district to help the Eagles get ready for what they would see in the PO's

I've have had this running discussion with MojoTrain for the past year about the pros and cons of a schedule loaded up with games that offer nothing but parallel experiences to a team. IMO, too many West TX teams built pre-district filled with parallel experience games. Yes it helps to build confidence in a young team, and often teams end up with a pretty good record, but at the same time the team hasn't had to stretch the envelop and doesn't understand what they will see in the PO's.

It is my contention that if more West TX teams scheduled more games against good DFW schools, then they would be better prepared to play well against them in round 3 of the PO's.

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

I don't think you will ever see the dominance of the 70-90's again. I will offer that 3-6A is improving as a whole. Three teams to round 3. Remember they all went though the Arlington teams to get there.

As far as Abilene's RB situation, ask Friendship or Cedar Hill if we had a decent RB. Kid was moved up from JV. No one in district saw him in varsity play. Did pretty well. I'm pretty sure he had over a 100 or close against Cedar Hill.

Abilene will be fine. The defense is worlds ahead of this time last year. If Smith returns 100% (and all reports indicate he will) then Abilene is going to have the best 1-2 punch at RB since Sims and Curtis. Might be better. I look for a run based offense with honesty passing.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC13
                                          I don't have a dog in the hunt, but do have a couple thoughts on the discussions at hand.

SLC has played Midland Lee multiple times in the last 3 years and last year added AHS to our pre-district schedule, so I've see both Aron Dobbins and Abram Smith play in person. While Dobbins was a very good player, Smith was special and will show that this year assuming that he's fully recovered from the knee injury

Regarding competing against DFW Metroplex teams, I'm a firm believer that "you must play the best to beat the best". I think that Shady said he was surprised by the speed of the better DFW teams. If you wait till the PO's to experience that speed, it's likely that you will lose most of the time. .For the last decade AHS has been the only West TX team to regularly compete well and to break through the DFW barrier. I believe that was partly because Coach Warren always scheduled several good DFW teams during pre-district to help the Eagles get ready for what they would see in the PO's

I've have had this running discussion with MojoTrain for the past year about the pros and cons of a schedule loaded up with games that offer nothing but parallel experiences to a team. IMO, too many West TX teams built pre-district filled with parallel experience games. Yes it helps to build confidence in a young team, and often teams end up with a pretty good record, but at the same time the team hasn't had to stretch the envelop and doesn't understand what they will see in the PO's.

It is my contention that if more West TX teams scheduled more games against good DFW schools, then they would be better prepared to play well against them in round 3 of the PO's.
                                          In bold- interesting take, considering Dobbins had more yards vs. SLC than Abrams vs. SLC.

When I saw Smith play I thought he was a good back. Maybe I saw a different Smith because I certainly don't recall this super human rb that you guys apparently saw. Again, I'm hoping he recovers from the injury because I'd love to watch the 'next Cedric Benson' shred defenses this year.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

In bold- interesting take, considering Dobbins had more yards vs. SLC than Abrams vs. SLC.

When I saw Smith play I thought he was a good back. Maybe I saw a different Smith because I certainly don't recall this super human rb that you guys apparently saw. Again, I'm hoping he recovers from the injury because I'd love to watch the 'next Cedric Benson' shred defenses this year.

As for the next CB, gosh, I sure hope not and I doubt it. Didn't he end up being a drug induced thug getting kicked or run out of the league?

Don't be so negative about things.

So obviously you're a district folk, come out of the closet and tell us who your team is. We all sit in anticipation!

Comment

• Eagle82
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Good post and you're absolutely right. Abilene has the advantage though because we're closer to the DFW area. From a financial standpoint it may be difficult for some schools to travel the distance though I guess if they can schedule Valley teams they can schedule DFW teams.

Last year was a prime example. Abilene went into the SLC game 4-0 and got a taste of the overall speed and talent they would eventually face in the PO's. It showed us where we were at the time. In a sense kinda like the Chill game, just too much speed and too many athletes on the other side of the field for us to keep up with.

Comment

• CHill
                                                1st Team
                                                • Apr 2015

Yes, we know, you're not impressed

As for the next CB, gosh, I sure hope not and I doubt it. Didn't he end up being a drug induced thug getting kicked or run out of the league?

Don't be so negative about things.

So obviously you're a district folk, come out of the closet and tell us who your team is. We all sit in anticipation!

Speedy might want to watch a CH game and by ht change his sur name.

Comment

• SLC13
                                                  '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                                                  • Apr 2015

Not surprising at all. Dobbins was Lee's only offensive weapon. If he didn't get some yards Lee wasn't going to get them. Also Dobbins got many of his yards against Carroll's 2nd and 3rd string when the game was out of hand.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing Dobbins, because I'm really not. He's very good back that unfortunately played on a team lacking other offensive weapons. That said, the big difference between the two was when Dobbins hit his hole, he got the yards that you expect a good back to get, but not much more. In two seasons, I just didn't see any "special" moves that translated into 5 yard gains being turned into longer runs.

Smith, on the other hand, scored 3 TDs in the 1st qtr against SLC. Each on runs where he made at least one Dragon defender miss after he got through the hole. It is still a mystery to many Dragon (and some Eagle) fans why the AHS coaching staff chose to emphasize the pass from the 2nd qtr on.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                    2nd Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

I agree, and I hope Central starts scheduling more of the better Metroplex teams. Byron Nelson last year and this season but hopefully next season they upgrade that and even throw in another DFW team. Agree about the speed thing as well. They got behind big against Bowie because of that. Then dominated once they got used to it but it was almost too late. That said, I don't recall ever seeing a high school football team with as much speed as that one had. Maybe not an elite team but elite speed.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Apr 2015

Good post and you're absolutely right. Abilene has the advantage though because we're closer to the DFW area. From a financial standpoint it may be difficult for some schools to travel the distance though I guess if they can schedule Valley teams they can schedule DFW teams.

Last year was a prime example. Abilene went into the SLC game 4-0 and got a taste of the overall speed and talent they would eventually face in the PO's. It showed us where we were at the time. In a sense kinda like the Chill game, just too much speed and too many athletes on the other side of the field for us to keep up with.

Interesting point. Byron Nelson is coming down to the Concho Valley in September. It's the only time they leave the Metroplex this season I believe. I wonder if they've ever traveled this far for a football game. Might be tough to get home and homes. I guess SLC is willing since they did go to Midland.

Comment

• BevoBo
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • Apr 2015

I am not disagreeing with you at all on your points. I just remember Odessa Permian playing Trinity early on in non district(maybe 2010) and they handed a good defeat to the Trojans and when they met in the playoffs, Trinity returned the favor. It's not a guarantee, that's all.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                                                          I am not disagreeing with you at all on your points. I just remember Odessa Permian playing Trinity early on in non district(maybe 2010) and they handed a good defeat to the Trojans and when they met in the playoffs, Trinity returned the favor. It's not a guarantee, that's all.
                                                          That's a good point and I think you're right. Nothing is a guarantee.
                                                          The year you're thinking of is 2007 and I remember sitting at Shotwell during the rematch. Between the windy conditions and the DL for Teinity that afternoon, Taylor Byrd was never able to get into any kind of rhythm that day.

I'm not sure the west Texas teams will ever have the consistency they had 20 years ago simply due to the depth of talent compared to the metroplex. As the DFW grew over the last 30 years so did the punt of talent walking the halls of a lot of high schools. Years like 2007-2009 with Permian and Abilene may be more of the exception than the norm for the west Texas schools going forward.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                            All District
                                                            • Apr 2015

Not surprising at all. Dobbins was Lee's only offensive weapon. If he didn't get some yards Lee wasn't going to get them. Also Dobbins got many of his yards against Carroll's 2nd and 3rd string when the game was out of hand.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing Dobbins, because I'm really not. He's very good back that unfortunately played on a team lacking other offensive weapons. That said, the big difference between the two was when Dobbins hit his hole, he got the yards that you expect a good back to get, but not much more. In two seasons, I just didn't see any "special" moves that translated into 5 yard gains being turned into longer runs.

Smith, on the other hand, scored 3 TDs in the 1st qtr against SLC. Each on runs where he made at least one Dragon defender miss after he got through the hole. It is still a mystery to many Dragon (and some Eagle) fans why the AHS coaching staff chose to emphasize the pass from the 2nd qtr on.
                                                            Oh as far as Abilene goes, it was just a practice game. We didn't want to show you everything in the event we met up with you in round 4.

Comment

Working...