West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
    If Permian has a receiver better than Roy Williams then Abram Smith is better than Cedric Benson. Honestly I won't say Smith will be as good as El Ced but he's probably closer to him than any other back in the district, such as Galindo or Bailey, is to Smith. Maybe he just ate extra Wheaties the night he played in San Angelo but that night he looked like at least a 4-star talent. Hope he gets to 100% fast so he can build up that recruiting momentum.
    Benson was a beast and led his team to the three-peat, those are hard footsteps to follow so in my opinion, there is no comparison. No respect to #28, none at all!

That being said, could that feat ever be accomplished again without a strong supporting cast?
    Could the Benson led ML team be able to accomplish that feat today going up against the strong talent within the metroplex?

Sure, Murray had a three-peat but gee, look at the D1 talent he had around him. Could he have done it with that ML team? Gray in Aledo but heck, he was 4A at the time so that doesn't count, right? lol.

Comment

• mojotrain
      2nd Team
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SLC13

Train, Glad to see that you made it over to this board!! Now we get to exchange pleasantries in a couple places!!

I have to attribute your 14 game season prediction to the optimism of spring. Unless my eyes deceived me last year, there was a pretty large gap to overcome in week 13. Have your 150 LBers really grown that much over the winter??
      I do think so. I pin my thoughts on several things. The underclassmen starting in the last years game that you saw are one year older, stronger and faster. You would agree that one years growth in strength and experience would make you better wouldn't you?. That lack of experience of not just playing but in fact starting has never happened at Permian before. A third year head coach who now has control on the revolving door of coach's and players. The days of those who played just so they could have a selfie made of themselves under the big sign that mojo made famous have now been wind rowed.

I can't get into key players abilities, this year vs last year, but I hope it's enough to just say you won't recognize us. You should remember what Allman did in his short stay at Permian, he shocked the state. So much in fact, he was offered one of the top programs in the state. I don't quite understand it yet but I don't see why it's a pre-conceived notion that everyone get's better every year except Permian. I'm leaning to the side that perhaps the explanation is in thought of Permian's return is a nightmare if not for the district then the state.. From my knowledge of Permian, since 1959 all our kids ever need was a good coach. They proved it time and again. Five different head coach's and six state crowns. All big class. No one comes close.

In things involving winning, things change, not because of time but because of indifference, sabotage, or complacency. It happened to Abilene, Permian, Midland Lee, San Angelo, Plano, Judson and others. If you read this or the other site you would get the idea that Abilene and San Angelo are back. I don't but consensus seems to think so. But the point is, things do change and We have the man in place to make it happen.

Comment

• Eagle82
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad_28
        Well shady got to say went to Baylor camp this past Sunday tons of kids there .. Abram did impressed them coaches said a lot of good stuff while we were there talking .. We have Tulsa tomorrow with them coaches .. A lot d-1 stuff already coming in mail .. So yea we are getting him ready for fall .. A lot bigger than last year have say so it's gonna be fun playing y'all maybe we can meet up and meet each orther when we play y'all ..
        That's great info and it's great hearing about his summer progress. Please keep us posted on a regular basis. Oh, and welcome! Nice to have more Abilene posters here!

Comment

• Abilenefan
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad_28
          Well shady got to say went to Baylor camp this past Sunday tons of kids there .. Abram did impressed them coaches said a lot of good stuff while we were there talking .. We have Tulsa tomorrow with them coaches .. A lot d-1 stuff already coming in mail .. So yea we are getting him ready for fall .. A lot bigger than last year have say so it's gonna be fun playing y'all maybe we can meet up and meet each orther when we play y'all ..
          Welcome to the board. Looking forward to seeing Abram this fall. I hope he is healthy and has a great Jr. season.

Comment

If Permian has a receiver better than Roy Williams then Abram Smith is better than Cedric Benson. Honestly I won't say Smith will be as good as El Ced but he's probably closer to him than any other back in the district, such as Galindo or Bailey, is to Smith. Maybe he just ate extra Wheaties the night he played in San Angelo but that night he looked like at least a 4-star talent. Hope he gets to 100% fast so he can build up that recruiting momentum.

vs. Bobcats in 2014

A. Dobbins Midland Lee 27 carries 185 yards 1 touchdown
            S. Galindo Odessa 26 carries 150 yards 1 touchdown
            A. Smith Abilene 20 carries 101 yards 0 touchdowns

Could it be, perhaps, that in an attempt to explain why the Eagles played the Bobcats so close, you're overblowing the efforts of one player?

Comment

• Shady12
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Dobbins and Galindo racked up a lot of yards against backups in the second half. Smith was defended fairly well by a very good run defense. Really good defenders including a few who will be playing college ball this year had a hard time getting him down.

Comment

• Eagle82
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedy West

vs. Bobcats in 2014

A. Dobbins Midland Lee 27 carries 185 yards 1 touchdown
                S. Galindo Odessa 26 carries 150 yards 1 touchdown
                A. Smith Abilene 20 carries 101 yards 0 touchdowns

Could it be, perhaps, that in an attempt to explain why the Eagles played the Bobcats so close, you're overblowing the efforts of one player?
                As my friend SLC13 said in a previous post about Dobbins in the game against SLC.
                … Not surprising at all. Dobbins was Lee's only offensive weapon. If he didn't get some yards Lee wasn't going to get them…

That can be said for much of the season, Dobbins was the only offensive weapon whereas Abilene had others.

vs. SA Central 2014

Abilene
                Total Yards: 302
                Smith – 106 total yards
                Rest of the team: 196
                Difference: Team +90 yards

Midland Lee
                Total Yards: 335
                Dobbins: 213 total yards
                Rest of the team: 122
                Difference: Dobbins +91 yards

Odessa
                Total Yards: 333
                Galindo: 182 total yards
                Rest of team: 151
                Difference: Galindo +31 yards

Comment

• Super B
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Benson was a beast and led his team to the three-peat, those are hard footsteps to follow so in my opinion, there is no comparison. No respect to #28, none at all!

That being said, could that feat ever be accomplished again without a strong supporting cast?
                  Could the Benson led ML team be able to accomplish that feat today going up against the strong talent within the metroplex?

Sure, Murray had a three-peat but gee, look at the D1 talent he had around him. Could he have done it with that ML team? Gray in Aledo but heck, he was 4A at the time so that doesn't count, right? lol.

All Aledo has done without Gray is win three titles, two since Gray. Totally not the same.
                  Super B

Comment

• Super B
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
                    I see a 14 game season for the boy's in black. .
                    I have to attribute your 14 game season prediction to the optimism of spring. Unless my eyes deceived me last year, there was a pretty large gap to overcome in week 13. Have your 150 LBers really grown that much over the winter??

I do think so. I pin my thoughts on several things. The underclassmen starting in the last years game that you saw are one year older, stronger and faster. You would agree that one years growth in strength and experience would make you better wouldn't you?. That lack of experience of not just playing but in fact starting has never happened at Permian before. A third year head coach who now has control on the revolving door of coach's and players. The days of those who played just so they could have a selfie made of themselves under the big sign that mojo made famous have now been wind rowed.

I can't get into key players abilities, this year vs last year, but I hope it's enough to just say you won't recognize us. You should remember what Allman did in his short stay at Permian, he shocked the state. So much in fact, he was offered one of the top programs in the state. I don't quite understand it yet but I don't see why it's a pre-conceived notion that everyone get's better every year except Permian. I'm leaning to the side that perhaps the explanation is in thought of Permian's return is a nightmare if not for the district then the state.. From my knowledge of Permian, since 1959 all our kids ever need was a good coach. They proved it time and again. Five different head coach's and six state crowns. All big class. No one comes close.

In things involving winning, things change, not because of time but because of indifference, sabotage, or complacency. It happened to Abilene, Permian, Midland Lee, San Angelo, Plano, Judson and others. If you read this or the other site you would get the idea that Abilene and San Angelo are back. I don't but consensus seems to think so. But the point is, things do change and We have the man in place to make it happen.
                    A 14 game season means a trip to the quarter-finals. It means a likely matchup with ET in round 3. As dominant as Trinity was in that game last season, do you honestly think Permian can get past them this year?
                    Super B

Comment

• mojotrain
                      2nd Team
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Super B

A 14 game season means a trip to the quarter-finals. It means a likely matchup with ET in round 3. As dominant as Trinity was in that game last season, do you honestly think Permian can get past them this year?
                      Why not? and will ET be better? Not the same but better?

Comment

• Super B
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

Why not? and will ET be better? Not the same but better?
                        I think so, but of course Trinity is my team, like Permian is yours.

A lot for the same reasons you listed. One more year of experience for key players. Other reasons too, but that's certainly a big one.

The good thing for you guys is, that game would be in Odessa.
                        Super B

Comment

• mojotrain
                          2nd Team
                          • Jun 2015

Well we all promote our boys and we can all list the same reasons as to why we will be better. There's nothing magic about high school kids in the D/FW area compared to that of West Texas. It's about first commitment and then training. Commitment is self explanatory but training means the right people teaching kids the right stuff. Hard work only is a factor if you are trained to do the correct hard work. Hard work doing the wrong thing is a waste of time. We just past the point of doing the wrong hard work.

For what it's worth I watched all but three of our spring practices (does anyone else do that?) Permian is much, much better than last year.

Comment

• SLC13
                            '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                            • Apr 2015

I do think so. I pin my thoughts on several things. The underclassmen starting in the last years game that you saw are one year older, stronger and faster. You would agree that one years growth in strength and experience would make you better wouldn't you?. .............

Well we all promote our boys and we can all list the same reasons as to why we will be better. There's nothing magic about high school kids in the D/FW area compared to that of West Texas. It's about first commitment and then training. Commitment is self explanatory but training means the right people teaching kids the right stuff. Hard work only is a factor if you are trained to do the correct hard work. Hard work doing the wrong thing is a waste of time. We just past the point of doing the wrong hard work.

For what it's worth I watched all but three of our spring practices (does anyone else do that?) Permian is much, much better than last year.

Ok, so you are standing by the 14 game prediction. We may need to have a little side wager on that one.

Now as long as we're flushing quail out of the brush, can we surmise from the bolded statements that you're also predicting a district championship for Permian as well?? Inquiring minds want to know..........

Comment

• BevoBo
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B

I think so, but of course Trinity is my team, like Permian is yours.

A lot for the same reasons you listed. One more year of experience for key players. Other reasons too, but that's certainly a big one.

The good thing for you guys is, that game would be in Odessa.

I for one would welcome this match up in Odessa, as I have never been. It would be a great game experience.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                2nd Team
                                • Jun 2015

Ok, so you are standing by the 14 game prediction. We may need to have a little side wager on that one.

Now as long as we're flushing quail out of the brush, can we surmise from the bolded statements that you're also predicting a district championship for Permian as well?? Inquiring minds want to know..........
                                I've already declared third spot for Permian. Eagle fans and Bobcat fans have already voted themselves #1 and #2 or #2 and #1. One has the best running back that ever dumped behind a pair of nikes and the other has the second coming of Sammy Baugh. That's a lot to digest. Tell ya what, give me until after the game in San Tone with the bully bad boys from the valley. Then if I post I'll predict a 13 win season or a 3 win season. Regardless, I probably may post it here or the other place or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle82

As my friend SLC13 said in a previous post about Dobbins in the game against SLC.
                                  … Not surprising at all. Dobbins was Lee's only offensive weapon. If he didn't get some yards Lee wasn't going to get them…
                                  If Dobbins and Galindo were the only weapons their teams had, that means that the entire defense was able to key on them and them alone. So,,,,,,that doesn't really bolster your argument.

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Apr 2015

If Dobbins and Galindo were the only weapons their teams had, that means that the entire defense was able to key on them and them alone. So,,,,,,that doesn't really bolster your argument.
                                    I don't disagree with your logic. Abram has two more seasons and if he stays healthy he will leave his mark. He will get the opportunity to play on Saturdays in a major program and any question will be answered. IMHO

Comment

Dobbins and Galindo racked up a lot of yards against backups in the second half. Smith was defended fairly well by a very good run defense. Really good defenders including a few who will be playing college ball this year had a hard time getting him down.
                                      Wasn't it him that was stopped short on the 2 point try at the end of the game last year?

Comment

• Eagledad_28
                                        Practice Squad
                                        • Jun 2015

Lol Time will tell !!! Abram will be definitely play on Saturday baylor and Tulsa very impressed next texas longhorns
                                        Last edited by Eagledad_28; 06-12-2015, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• SLC13
                                          • Apr 2015

I've already declared third spot for Permian. Eagle fans and Bobcat fans have already voted themselves #1 and #2 or #2 and #1. One has the best running back that ever dumped behind a pair of nikes and the other has the second coming of Sammy Baugh. That's a lot to digest. Tell ya what, give me until after the game in San Tone with the bully bad boys from the valley. Then if I post I'll predict a 13 win season or a 3 win season. Regardless, I probably may post it here or the other place or not.
                                          No problem my friend, I was just giving you a little razzin'. Nobody's going to hold you to predictions made in the optimism of the spring. It's the boring part of the year and there nothing much to post about except pre-season polls and a few early bold predictions.

On a more serious note, the last update on your step son sounded very good. Is there anything new on that front?? PM me if you don't want to sidetrack this thread.
                                          Last edited by SLC13; 06-12-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Shady12
                                            2nd Team
                                            • Apr 2015

Wasn't it him that was stopped short on the 2 point try at the end of the game last year?
                                            Yep.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                              2nd Team
                                              • Jun 2015

No problem my friend, I was just giving you a little razzin'. Nobody's going to hold you to predictions made in the optimism of the spring. It's the boring part of the year and there nothing much to post about except pre-season polls and a few early bold predictions.

On a more serious note, the last update on your step son sounded very good. Is there anything new on that front?? PM me if you don't want to sidetrack this thread.
                                              This may not sound like very good but his doctors are pleased and so is he. However he reports he is extremely weak. Food has began to taste bla. He and wife go to every new movie coming out. So as any good mojo would do, he's working hard.

Comment

• coriv
                                                Practice Squad
                                                • Jun 2015

DCTF 3-6A Predictions

1. Permian
                                                2. San Angelo
                                                3. Abilene
                                                4. Midland
                                                5. OHS
                                                6. Lee
                                                Last edited by coriv; 06-16-2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                  2nd Team
                                                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

I for one would welcome this match up in Odessa, as I have never been. It would be a great game experience.
                                                  Not even considering the outcome of the game, the only thing E T's fans liked about their last trip to paradise was the, made in Del Rio Juilo's chips and mojotrains gitter done salsa that was offered up in the pre-game tail gate. It went downhill from that point. The greatest fail was Odessa people sitting on their side of Sally Ratliff. Can't blame them at all. If I'm going to suffer I'd sooner do it alone or at least it the comforts of my own family.

Uhhhhh when this season starts we won't be ready for a E T type team. IMO we can be knocking on the door in November. If the chance comes, barring a poor tomato/habernero/paregoric/celentro crop failure I'll have some ready for any of those who come by.
                                                  Last edited by mojotrain; 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                    2nd Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

Texashsfootball.com rankings... Central at #9 (one spot ahead of Desoto...mmkay) and Permian #19.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Jun 2015

Texashsfootball.com rankings... Central at #9 (one spot ahead of Desoto...mmkay) and Permian #19.
                                                      Let's just go with that.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                        2nd Team
                                                        • Apr 2015

One program's quest, starting from losing 21 straight games with a goal of "coming back to dominance," so to speak, as the thread title says. A lot of it is the off-season and quarterback development:

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/lo...kouts_65399109

ANGELO FOOTBALL CLINIC: Davis rebuilds Central football program with retooled offseason workouts

By Mike Lee

It’s not flashy or showy, but the obscure work players do behind the scenes and away from the public eye from December through July often determines a football team’s in-season success.

“It’s not a Friday night thing, but I’ve been a head coach for 20 years now, and the offseason program is the most important thing you have to have to build a program. Especially if you’re not very good,” said Brent Davis, head coach of the Central Bobcats for the last six seasons. “When you get into tough Friday night situations and tight fourth-quarter situations, I believe kids will do everything they can to win because of the investment they’ve put into football through the offseason program.”

Davis rebuilt Central’s program from a 21-game losing streak in 2008 and 2009 into a 10-win team in 2013 and an 11-win team last year. He spoke of the importance of the offseason program Wednesday during the 42nd annual Angelo Football Clinic, and Bobcats offensive coordinator Kevin Crane spoke about the importance of quarterback play.

Motivating kids today to lift weights, run wind-sprints and perform agility drills during the winter and spring months for a hopeful payoff several months later during the fall can be a tough sell in the current culture of immediate gratification.

“I can still remember our first day at Central. It was Feb. 2, 2009, and we didn’t ease into our offseason program. We dove headfirst into it,” Davis said.

When he took over, Central had the reputation in football for not being mentally tough. Football was important to the players from August through the end of the season, but they weren’t willing to put in the necessary work between seasons to compete in the state’s highest classification. Davis had to completely change a culture for a program without an outright district championship since 1963.

“When we started in 2009, I told our administration that it was going to be tough and some people weren’t going to understand what we were doing,” Davis said, referring to superintendent Dr. Carol Ann Bonds and athletic director Doug McCutchen.

“I told them they were going to get phone calls and letters from parents complaining about the changes we were making. I asked them to support me on it, and they did,” Davis said.

It was tough at first. Thirty players quit during the offseason and another five quit during spring football practice in 2009.

“We had to kick one kid off the team because, after he went through all the offseason and spring practices, he missed the spring game to go water skiing,” Davis said. “That was the culture of the program at the time. They thought doing things like that were OK.”

Davis’ Bobcats began 0-8 in 2009, but started the turnaround by beating Lubbock Coronado and Amarillo Tascosa in their final two games. Starting in the 2010, the Bobcats have made the playoffs five consecutive seasons for the first time in school history. Their 11 wins last season were their most since 1986.

Davis’ offseason program has only three goals — improve the players’ strength, quickness and speed. Players who go through the program will become mentally tough, the coach said.

“Our proudest moment at Central was the Arlington Bowie (bi-district) game last year,” Davis said. “They had better talent than we did and probably better coaching. We were behind 21 points three different times in that game, but we came back and won (55-52) in overtime.

“That was mental toughness and a testament to our offseason program to play that hard for that long and find a way to win a football game.”

In addition to the offseason program, Davis believes teams must have strong quarterback development and performance to win.

“In today’s 6A football, you’ve got to score a lot of points to stay in the game. You’re not going to do that without a good passing game, and you can’t have a good passing game without a good quarterback,” Davis said. “Your defense just isn’t going to hold teams to 10 or 14 points anymore.

“In 2011, Logan Sawyer was our quarterback and he was top-notch. He set a lot of school records. In 2012 and 2013, Mickey Scott was a little better and broke more school records. Last year Braden Hucks broke all of Scott’s and Sawyer’s records.”

Prior to 2011, a Central quarterback had rushed and passed for more than 100 yards each in a game five times in school history.

Sawyer did it twice. Scott did it three times. Hucks did it six times.

In 2013, Scott passed for 2,893 yards and 28 touchdowns and also rushed for 994 yards and 20 scores. Last year, Hucks passed for 3,070 yards and 32 TDs and also rushed for 1,339 yards and 22 scores.

“Coach Crane spots about six athletes in each class that he thinks can become quarterbacks and starts working with them in the seventh grade. In the eighth grade, he trims it down to about four quarterbacks. He eventually whittles it down to two or three in each class,” Davis said.

“He trains them from the seventh grade on up. That’s what you have to do to have consistent quarterback play.”

Central’s quarterback training process will take a slight detour this year with Marble Falls transfer Brennen Wooten, a senior and already an accomplished passer, taking over for one season.

When Davis began at Central with a 13-game losing skid in 2009, he said the program was broken, that it needed to be rebuilt from the ground up and that the process would take time. He laid out his chronological goals: win a game, make the playoffs, win the Amarillo/Lubbock district, win the Abilene/Midland/Odessa district, become competitive with the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex teams, and finally, consistently beat the D-FW teams.

In six seasons, his Bobcats have met all those goals except for consistently beating the D-FW teams.

“We finally made it to the third round of the playoffs last year,” Davis said. “We’re competing with them, but we’re not over the hump yet. The 6A Metroplex teams are the best in the state right now and that’s why Region I is the toughest region. You have to beat three good Metroplex teams to win the region.

“The suburban schools up there (D-FW) have set themselves up for success. They understand the value of having strong athletic programs, and because of that, they have great facilities. Their kids go to camps on their own, and some of them even have personal trainers. They’re just better than everybody else right now.”

But Davis’ Bobcats, who have come so far in a short period of time, will keep trying.

Comment

• SLC13
                                                          • Apr 2015

Good read Shady!! I really like what Coach Davis has done emphasizing the offseason work. IMO, He has done an exceptional job of laying the groundwork for Central to be successful for a long time.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                                            2nd Team
                                                            • Jun 2015

Just saw a post on the other site that the stud Red Hoss running back is coming out of retirement. That may turn the old grey mare back to red.

Comment

• Firebird
                                                              Practice Squad
                                                              • Jul 2015

West Texas will never return to dominance, the march of demographics and money is ineorexable. The comparative advantage West Texas had was single minded dedication to excellence... The metro mess cracked that code. It's all over. And the state is all the poorer for it. Long live MOJO!

Comment

Working...