West Texas - When will we see them come back to dominance? 2015 Districts 2/3 6A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojotrain
    2nd Team
    • Jun 2015

Buzz bissinger and Peter Berg meeting with Roy Williams in Midland to discuss West Texas football. Look out Midland!

Comment

• mike03car
      Special Teams
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
      Coach Cox Radio Show has been moved.

They have moved the radio show to sports radio station 98.1. They are moving it to live show at 9AM on Wednesdays

http://player.streamtheworld.com/liv...allsign=KTLTFM
      I was informed by my dad after your post but before seeing it. I figure on waiting for Monday or Tuesday to put it on FB. so it's fresher in minds for Wed.

Last week there was no Abilene and Cooper High Coach's show on KRBC. I'm not seeing it on the schedule in its usual spot for this week either.

Comment

• Shady12
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...ntral_54882524

Big interception seals win for Central

By Quinton Martinez

On a night when 12 touchdowns were scored, the game still came down to the foot of a kicker.

Central’s Marc Cabrera was true on a 19-yard try with 5:18 to play, and junior safety Brock Martin sealed the contest with a key late interception at the 5 to enable the Bobcats to steal a 43-42 win over Byron Nelson on Friday.

Byron Nelson had driven within field-goal range for senior kicker Mason Shank, but had third-and-9 at the Central 21 with just over three minutes left.

“I read a post route and I cut under it, thank goodness, or he would’ve been gone,” Martin said. “We rep what they run over and over again in practice. After seeing it for so long, you get used to what they are running. I saw it and I went for it.”

The pick — Martin’s second in as many games — gave the Angry Orange the ball back at the 5, and Khalil Antoine busted a 40-yard run on third-and-1 from the 12 to allow Central to run out the clock and hold serve at home for the 12th straight game.

Byron Nelson used its passing game and the speed of receiver Pascal Mondombo to seize control of the game in the second and third quarters, opening up a 42-27 advantage.

But Central kept picking away at the lead.

Antoine cashed in a drive from 1 yard out and Cal Vincent hauled in his second receiving touchdown of the night, taking a beating at the goal line, but holding on to pull Central within two points at 44-42 with 37 seconds left in the third.

The home team tried a little trickery on the conversion try, but Byron Nelson’s Joe Gruetman read the play and dropped Central for a loss, leaving them behind 42-40.

Senior quarterback Brennen Wooten drove Central for a 38-yard field goal try, but Cabrera was blocked by a strong Byron Nelson surge up front. However, the junior kicker would be given a second shot.

Central senior Donavyn Jackson just got enough of his fingertips on a Preston Haire pass to deflect the ball and force Byron Nelson to punt, giving the home team another try.

Martin busted a 26-yard return on Shank’s punt to set Central up with good field position, and Wooten led his team to the 2, setting up Cabrera’s game-winner.

“I think I am pretty good under pressure,” Cabrera said calmly after the game. “On the first kick they jumped really high. I was confident.

“Coach (Tony) Vu told me to just kick it like an extra point, and that was what I did.”

It was the first game-winner for the Central football team since Jacob Bible kicked a field goal to beat Abilene Cooper 31-28 as time expired in 2013.

Byron Nelson still had life, as Haire drove the team down the field, picking up a huge fourth-and-10 conversion with a 30-yard pass to Dan Ngoy.

The visitors would only get one more yard before Martin’s interception all but ended their chances.

“We had more pressure in the second half and giving our corners more of a shot,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “We have to grow up, get better and make plays. We had to use our scheme to help us out tonight.

“Brock Martin made the play of the game. That guy is clutch. That kicker was well within his range. That was huge.”

Central and Byron Nelson went punch for punch for much of the first half, with Mondombo as the biggest thorn in the side of the Angry Orange defense.

The speedy wideout had six catches for 192 yards and four touchdowns in the first half, including scores from 50, 23, 66 and 7 yards out.

After halftime he was limited to just two grabs for 8 yards.

“It came down to schemes,” Martin said. “Defensive coordinator Mark Chester is a smart dude, and he game-planned for (Mondombo), who is an outstanding receiver. We backed off of him a little bit and it worked.”

Central’s defensive front held Byron Nelson’s running game in check all night, holding them to 42 yards, but Haire closed the game with 380 yards passing on 19 of 39 passing.

His second interception was the biggest of the night, however.

Wooten tossed three touchdown passes — with wide receiver Will Grindstaff throwing another — to help the Central offense keep up with Byron Nelson.

Wooten finished with 315 yards on 36 of 48 passing with one interception.

Cal Vincent (11 catches, 93 yards), Aaron Wooten (8-78) and Grindstaff (9-51) did most of the heavy lifting receiving the ball, but Antoine had a big night catching the ball out of the backfield, with four catches for 78 yards and a score.

Daven Manning, who had over 100 yards in the season-opening win over Del Rio, went down with an injury in the first half, but Antoine tacked on 58 yards rushing and Mike Brown added nine carries for 47 yards.

The total effort produced Central’s 12th straight win at San Angelo Stadium.

“It is fun to play at home,” Davis said. “This is a beautiful stadium, and now that we have a successful program everyone is coming out and it’s a great atmosphere.”

Central 43
        Byron Nelson 42

Byron Nelson 14 21 7 0 — 42
        Central 14 13 13 3 — 43

FIRST QUARTER
        CHS — Daven Manning 1 run (Marc Cabrera kick), 8:31 remaining
        BN — Pascal Mondombo 50 pass from Preston Haire (Mason Shank kick), 7:13
        BN — Chris Osundu 70 fumble return (Shank kick), 6:39 CHS — Khalil Antoine 25 pass from Will Grindstaff (Cabrera kick), :00

SECOND QUARTER
        CHS — Cal Vincent 23 pass from Brennen Wooten (Cabrera kick), 8:03
        BN — Mondombo 23 pass from Haire (Brandon Bowen pass from Kyle Loving), 5:55
        CHS — Aaron Wooten 20 pass from B. Wooten (conversion failed), 5:32
        BN — Mondombo 66 pass from Haire (kick failed), 1:02
        BN — Mondombo 7 pass from Haire (Shank kick), :01

THIRD QUARTER
        BN — Loving 30 pass from Haire (Shank kick), 6:44
        CHS — Antoine 1 run (Cabrera kick), 4:28
        CHS — Vincent 14 pass from B. Wooten (conversion failed), :37

FOURTH QUARTER
        CHS — Cabrera 19 field goal, 5:12
        BN CHS

First downs 16 24
        Rushes-Yards 24-42 30-128
        Passing 380 340
        Comp-Att-Int 19-39-2 37-49-1
        Punts 5-33.4 3-39.3
        Fumbles-Lost 0-0 2-2
        Penalties-Yards 7-65 8-87
        Individual statistics

RUSHING: Byron Nelson — Amani Kaegea 10-29, Tres Cox 9-8, Preston Haire 3-6, Jacob Dukes 2-(-1). Central — Khalil Antoine 7-58, Mike Brown 9-47, Daven Manning 6-19, Brennen Wooten 6-17, TEAM 2-(-13).

PASSING: Byron Nelson — Haire 19-39-2 for 380. Central — B. Wooten 36-48-1 for 315, Will Grindstaff 1-1-0 for 25.

RECEIVING: Byron Nelson — Pascal Mondombo 8-200, Tyler Milliken 3-60, Kyle Loving 5-56, Dan Ngoy 2-46, D.J. Robinson 2-18. Central — Cal Vincent 11-93, Antoine 4-78, Aaron Wooten 8-66, Will Grindstaff 9-51, Manning 1-27, Adam West 3-20, Brown 1-5.

RECORDS: Central is 2-0, Byron Nelson is 1-1.

Comment

• mike03car
          Special Teams
          • Aug 2015

Unsportsmanlike conduct was called against Cooper for a DL continuing to play without his helmet instead of stopping immediately. In fact, he continued to chase the quarterback during his pass rush and a Viper OL has to peel off a double team to block him. I saw the guy lose his helmet and continue to play, but didn't know it was an unsportsmanlike penalty, so I wondered at that time what was called unsportsmanlike. I knew the rule states he would have to come out of the game for one play, but I didn't see the facemask on the next play until watching the KTAB full game replay I recorded overnight. It was also on the replay that I heard the KTAB sports guy describing the play by play, David Bacon, state that the rule and penalty was for his continuing to play without the helmet and not stopping immediately. Those back to back plays, especially the first one, changed the Cooper-Vandy game as the Coogs had the Vipes 2nd and 25+ deep in their own territory and up 42-35 halfway through the 4th quarter after being behind 35-21 midway through the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• Shady12
            2nd Team
            • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/local/central-midweek-bobcats-show-fight-depth-at-running-back-in-comeback-win_97495244

CENTRAL MIDWEEK: Bobcats show fight; depth at running back in comeback win

RBs display versatility

By Quinton Martinez

The Central High School football team learned a lot about itself in Friday’s home opener against Byron Nelson.

The 2015 Bobcats exhibited some of the same never-say-die attitude that has allowed the program to rally to wins in each of the last three years.

“Every football team you coach, even though they have some of the same players, they are all different year to year — with different leadership and different responsibilities for kids,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “I think the biggest thing we took away was that we will fight. We will fight until the end.

“We’ve had that mentality for probably the last three years. We expect it, but we don’t know if it is going to be there until we do it.
            Central overcame a 42-27 third-quarter deficit to score the final 16 points of the game to earn a 43-42 victory.

The team also saw just how much quality depth it has at running back.

Davis was high on Khalil Antoine and Mike Brown after spring ball and when Daven Manning joined the football program he added to the position.

So much so, that the team began working Brown at slot receiver wanting to use his game-breaking speed somewhere on the field.
            When Manning went down with an ankle injury in the first half of Friday’s game, Brown was able to step right in to join Antoine and keep Central’s 1-2 punch out of the backfield going.

Antoine had “the game of his life” according to Central offensive coordinator Kevin Crane — not just because of his game-sealing 40-yard run on third-and-1 in the shadow of the goal post — but also because of his success catching the ball out of the backfield.

“Khalil Antoine busted it out of there,” Davis said. He has played really good for us. He was a good running back last year, but he never had a breakout moment. This year he has matured, has gotten bigger and all that experience is starting to play off.”

The senior hauled in a 25-yard TD pass from wide receiver Will Grindstaff on a trick play in the first quarter and also pulled in a 49-yard pass that set up a go-ahead score in the second quarter.

Antoine finished with four catches for 78 yards and a touchdown while adding 58 yards on seven carries on the ground.

For his part, Brown picked up several key first downs among his 47 yards on nine carries, including a vital role on Central’s game-winning drive that ended with Marc Cabrera’s 19-yard field goal late in the fourth.

“Khalil had maybe the best game of his whole life and Mike Brown stepped in and did some really good things as well,” Crane said. “He has really good speed and had gotten so many reps this spring that he knew what to do. I was really pleased with both of those guys.”

Brown said he was prepared to step in because of the time he has spent practicing at running back and receiver.

“(Manning) went out, and I just stepped in and did my thing,” Brown said. “Khalil did his job and we stepped up as a whole running back unit.

“It was routine for me. I am supposed to know both positions and we do it in practice. It wasn’t anything new.”

Friday again showed a greater emphasis by the Central offense to pass the ball more to its talented running backs. Antoine, Brown and Manning accounted for more than half of the Bobcats offense with 234 combined rushing and receiving yards.

“They don’t see us when we sneak out of the backfield. We are so good at it and we execute from there,” Antoine said. “With as fast as we are, it is hard for the defense to react when we go out in a passing route.”

Bobcat bites

Davis said that the team is focused on getting Manning’s ankle “well for district.” The Bobcats open District 3-6A play Oct. 9 at Abilene High. Antoine and Brown are expected to carry the load in the meantime.

Davis also said junior left guard Blake Furman is out for a couple of weeks after sustaining a dislocated shoulder against Byron Nelson. The Bobcats are working out a pair of players in practice before making the decision as to who will start against El Paso Franklin.

Franklin is one of the few regular opponents that holds a winning record against the Bobcats since Davis took over the program. The Cougars are 5-3 overall with four of the wins coming against Davis-led teams.

The teams will play in Monahans on Friday to reduce travel times for both teams. Last year the teams met in Hobbs, New Mexico. In the prior two seasons the teams had a home-and-home that called for one team to make the more than 400-mile trek each year.

Central vs. El Paso Franklin

What: Nondistrict football game

When: 7 p.m. Friday

Where: Estes Memorial Stadium, Monahans

Records: Central is 2-0; Franklin is 1-1

Of note: Franklin won 31-21 last year in Hobbs, N.M.

Comment

• Shady12
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Comment

• Shady12
                2nd Team
                • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/high-school/high-school-football-centralfranklin-always-a-barnburner_42117706

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Central-Franklin always a barn-burner

Bobcats look to avenge last year's loss

By Quinton Martinez

The players may be different, but recent history suggests that Friday’s contest between the Central Bobcats and El Paso Franklin will be out of the ordinary.

In 2005 the Cougars became the first El Paso team to ever beat the Bobcats. since that game in the Sun Bowl, Franklin has increasingly become a rival of the Central football team.

Since Brent Davis took over in 2009, the Cougars actually have a winning record over Central (4-3) including a 31-21 win last year on a dreary, cool night in front of an empty stadium in Hobbs, New Mexico.

“They have a better record against us than we do against them,” Davis said. “That goes to show you how tough that game is for us. Since we’ve gotten things turned around here, we’ve got a better record than almost everybody we’ve played. Not them. I have tremendous respect for their coaches.”

In their seven meetings since 2010, Central has twice lost to Franklin by a point, topped the Cougars in a five-overtime thriller at San Angelo Stadium and split a pair of playoff matchups.

Central’s 71-55 win over Franklin to open the 2013 campaign stood as the highest-scoring game in program history until an 84-49 win over Menlo, California, a week later.

“Coach (Daren) Walker is a tremendous coach, and they always have a wrinkle for us that they haven’t shown,” Davis said. “They always played extremely hard. Last year they outplayed us. They wanted it more than we did. Our kids got off the bus ****y, and we never got that fixed. They adjusted to the elements better. They just outplayed us.”

Central was held to 194 yards of offense, and quarterback Braden Hucks committed four turnovers in the loss as Franklin starred behind its NCAA Division I-bound prospects quarterback Baylor Romney (Nevada), running back Nick Bingham (Texas State) and receiver Gustavo Mendoza-Dorsett (Cornell).

“They do a great job, and they’ve kicked our tail,” Central offensive coordinator Kevin Crane said. “Hopefully we can play a little better this week. We had turnovers and shot ourselves in the foot. You can’t do that against a good team like Franklin.”
                Central has scored 85 points in two games and edged Byron Nelson 43-42 last week, scoring the last 16 points and getting the game-winning field goal from Marc Cabrera with five minutes to play.

Franklin kept scoring but never caught Las Cruces Mayfield last week in a 69-49 loss to the New Mexico state power. Though the Cougars compiled 566 yards of offense, they committed three turnovers and gave up 513 yards to the Trojans.

Despite Central’s disappointment from last season, senior safety Beau Lasater said the focus is on this year.

“We’re not focused on last year,” Lasater said. “That was a different team, and we are a different team. We are focused on taking them down this year.

“They have another good quarterback, a good running back and skilled receivers. Everyone has to be on their game.”

Franklin running back Michael Faimalo had 212 yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries last week, while quarterback Brandon Mueller connecting on exactly half of his pass attempts (15 of 30) for 300 yards and four TDs.

The Cougars’ big-play ability could challenge a Central defense that has yielded 632 passing yards in two games.

“We’ve got to get better,” Davis said of the pass defense. “We challenged them (Monday) morning. We’ve got to practice better and show that we can do it. We’ve got to go out on Friday night and do it — contest high balls, be in the position to play the ball and go do it. We aren’t doing that, and that has to change.”

Davis is also hoping for a large crowd to travel to Monahans and support the Bobcats, who are the designated home team against the Cougars.

“Last year was weird,” Davis said. “The weather was weird. No one was there. No one had a band there. The whole game it was quiet. We shouldn’t let that affect us, but it did. It isn’t different than going to Odessa. Hopefully we will have some Angry Orange fans that go. We need them, too. It is different when we don’t have an atmosphere.”

Central vs. El Paso Franklin

Where: Estes Memorial Stadium, Monahans

Records: Central 2-0, Franklin 1-1

Radio: 94.7 KIXY-FM

Of note: Franklin leads the all-time series 5-3

Comment

• Shady12
                  2nd Team
                  • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/high-school/high-school-football-wooten-breaks-centrals-singlegame-passing-record-in-win-over-franklin_89562156

Wooten breaks Central's single-game passing record in win over Franklin

Central QB throws for 422 yards, 4 TDs

By Quinton Martinez

MONAHANS — Central quarterback Brennen Wooten had thrown for over 300 yards in his first two outings as a Bobcat.
                  It turns out that was just the appetizer.

Wooten took down one of the hallowed marks in Central Bobcats’ lore, topping Shea Morenz’s 371-yard performance against Abilene High 25 years ago, throwing for 422 yards on Friday night in a 60-14 pasting of rival El Paso Franklin at Estes Memorial Stadium in Monahans.

The TCU-bound senior signal caller nearly had the mark by halftime with 338 passing yards at the break as the Bobcats opened the game with an intensity that they were missing last year when the Cougars upended Central 31-21 in nondistrict play.

The Bobcats never let the thought of victory creep into Franklin’s mind as Central exploded for 36 second-quarter points to turn the contest into a rout by the break, leading 46-0.

“Our first half was about as good as we can play on both sides of the ball,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “We were focused all week. This was a big game to us. We weren’t going to stumble like we did last year. That is a great football team and they are always going to play hard, but we were prepared.

“Our offense is getting better. Those pieces are coming together and playing together better. I think it is getting more cohesive and that is what you saw in the first half.”

Brennen Wooten hit nine different receivers on the night but played the hot hand on several occasions, connecting with his brother Aaron Wooten on consecutive passes on multiple occasions and letting 6-foot-7 receiver Adam West move the chains repeatedly in other drives.

The elder Wooten finished with his school-record 422 yards on 30 of 37 passing with four touchdowns. He also showed an aspect of his game that Angry Orange fans hadn’t seen thus far, using his mobility in the red zone to run for 29 yards and two scores on five carries.

“We knew we were going to have success,” the quarterback said. “That is a great program, but we started off hot and kept getting it going. That is a great football team, and we just played really well offensively.

“We’ve been preaching it all week. We knew we needed to start fast because that team is really good. We didn’t want to overlook them. I feel like we did a good job of that.”

Though Central had already established control of the contest, the game got out of hand in a 3:57 stretch late in the second quarter.

Brennen Wooten scrambled into the end zone from 9 yards out and Adam Nino tacked on the two-point conversion out of the polecat for a 32-0 lead with 4:28 until halftime.

A 19-yard Franklin punt set the Bobcats up with great field position, and Brennen Wooten found Aaron Wooten for a 7-yard touchdown strike on third-and-goal to extend the advantage to 39-0.

Franklin head coach Daren Walker chose to go for it on fourth down from his own 38, and the Bobcat D turned the Cougars back.

One play later, Brennen Wooten hit Donavan Moore wide open across the middle, who easily sped past the Franklin secondary for a 40-yard score. A difficult mountain became nearly impossible right before the half as Central opened a 46-0 lead.

In addition to posting the first-half shutout, the Bobcats limited the potent Franklin attack to just 76 yards through two quarters and 231 yards all night.

Defensive end Dylan Parsee, who lived in the Franklin backfield most of the night, remembered the 2014 loss to Franklin and said Friday’s win proves the 2015 Bobcats are on a different track.

“Tonight shows that we are on a different road than last year — the right road that we need to be on,” Parsee said. “I feel like we came out and played a lot better. Last year we played flat. We came out with a lot of intensity and good energy. I feel like it is a good win.”

With a 64-yard grab in the second half, Moore ended up as Central’s leading receiver with two receptions for 104 yards. West finished with seven catches for 97 yards and Aaron Wooten closed the night as the most targeted receiver with nine grabs for 78 yards and two TDs.

Khalil Antoine and Mike Brown were again hovering around 100 yards combined on the ground, finishing with 94 yards. Brown had 87 yards of total offense and had a rushing TD and a receiving TD.

Davis said that Brennen Wooten looked as comfortable as he has this season running with the ball on designed quarterback runs, which showed in his efficiency carrying the ball in the red zone.

The senior quarterback said that the offense still has room to grow despite the 60-point outburst.

“I think this can be a huge momentum boost, but there is still a lot that we can improve upon on offense and that is the cool part,” the senior said. “(The record) is really cool because Central is a great football program. This was a really cool night for me.”

Central 60
                  El Paso Franklin 14
                  Franklin 0 0 7 7 — 14
                  Central 10 36 7 7 — 60

FIRST QUARTER
                  CEN — Aaron Wooten 29 pass from Brennen Wooten (Marc Cabrera kick), 7:27 remaining
                  CEN — Cabrera 24 field goal, 5:03
                  SECOND QUARTER
                  CEN — B. Wooten 1 run (Cabrera kick), 9:22
                  CEN — Mike Brown 36 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 6:34
                  CEN — B. Wooten 9 run (Adam Nino run), 4:28
                  CEN — A. Wooten 7 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 1:13
                  CEN — Donovan Moore 40 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 0:31
                  THIRD QUARTER
                  FRA — Ricardo Rubio 1 run (Isaac Garcia kick), 7:58
                  CEN — Brown 17 run (Cabrera kick), 6:16
                  FOURTH QUARTER
                  CEN — Tommy Aych 7 pass from Cal Vincent (Cabrera kick), 8:30
                  FRA — Sebastian Hoy 9 pass from Kaleb Hatch (Garcia kick), 4:18

Franklin Central
                  First downs 9 22
                  Rushes-Yards 32-79 33-161
                  Passing 152 455
                  Comp-Att-Int 16-34-1 33-43-0
                  Punts 7-34 2-41
                  Fumbles-Lost 0-0 2-1
                  Penalties-Yards 4-50 11-90

Individual statistics
                  RUSHING: Franklin – Kaleb Hatch 5-29, Brandon Mueller 4-27, Ricardo Rubio 10-18, Gunner Romney 1-(-4). Central – Mike Brown 10-51, Khalil Antoine 10-43, Henry Teeter 3-31, Brennen Wooten 5-29, Manny Villanueva 1-12, Cal Vincent 2-6, TEAM 2-(-11).
                  PASSING: Franklin – Hatch 11-21-1 for 90, Mueller 5-13-0 for 62. Central – B. Wooten 30-37-0 for 422, Vincent 3-6-0 for 33.
                  RECEIVING: Franklin – Romney 8-85, Sebastian Hoy 8-67. Central – Donovan Moore 2-104, Adam West 7-97, Aaron Wooten 9-78, Vincent 3-56, Brown 1-36, Villanueva 2-30, Tommy Aych 5-29, Will Grindstaff 2-14, Teeter 1-7, Antoine 1-4.
                  RECORDS: Franklin 1-2, Central 3-0.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Support our fellow 3-6A Athlete! Cast your vote!

Central football -
                    Wooten Finalist for Statewide Honor

Central senior quarterback Brennen Wooten is a finalist for the Gridiron Legends Mr. Texas Football Player of the Week for Week 3.

Wooten broke the Central school record for passing yards in a game with 422 yards on 30-of-37 passing in Friday’s 60-14 win over El Paso Franklin. The TCU-bound senior had four touchdowns passing and two touchdowns rushing.

Shea Morenz (371 yards vs. Abilene High, 1990) previously held the record.

Fans can vote until noon Friday at http://texasfootball.com/player-of-the-week

Comment

• Shady12
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

CENTRAL MIDWEEK: Wooten producing in first year at Central

Transfer set single-game passing record

By Quinton Martinez

When highly recruited quarterback Brennen Wooten enrolled at Central High School in January, many were eager to see if his successes at Class 5A Marble Falls would translate to big time West Texas 6A football.

Three games into his senior campaign, the answer appears to be yes.

The strong-armed signal caller, who has been verbally committed to TCU for more than a year, took more than a quarter to put Central’s first points on the board in the season opener against Del Rio, but the Bobcats have been close to unstoppable since.

Wooten threw for 316 yards and four scores against the Rams, bettered that with 318 yards against Byron Nelson and then last week topped that again against El Paso Franklin — by halftime.

The 6-foot-2 quarterback had 338 yards passing and four touchdowns at the half en route to smashing Shea Morenz’s school record for passing yards in a game (371) with 422 yards against the Cougars.

“To break the record is pretty special — especially when Shea Morenz is a part of it,” Central head coach Brent Davis said.
                      “(Morenz) played in a lot of games and was obviously a D-1 talent. (Brennen) is so talented and so smart. ... He understands the game like a coach. He knows where his reads are, is going to go through his progressions and find the open guy. He puts it right on the money, and that is hard to defend.”

The record tally came in less than three full quarters as the game was well in control and Central was able to give Cal Vincent and Henry Teeter time at quarterback in the second half.

“Brennen is certainly a special player — he wouldn’t be committed to play for the No. 3 team in the country if he wasn’t,” offensive coordinator Kevin Crane said. “A player like him doesn’t come around every year. We are lucky to have him.

“I think everything is so slow for him, nothing is happening too fast. You can see that as you watch the game.”

The first drive of Friday’s game foretold that something special was about to happen.

Central had a long touchdown pass to Will Grindstaff called back on a holding penalty and then was also assessed a 15-yard personal foul, backing up the Bobcats with a rare first-and-35 at their own 22.

Not only did the Bobcats convert, but Wooten led them for the first of seven straight scoring drives in the first half.

“There is always a chance for us to have that kind of game,” junior receiver Aaron Wooten said. “It was a big game, but we expect that, to be honest. We started going that first drive and had a couple of penalties that backed us up. We executed, got the first down and started rolling.”

The junior receiver was the recipient of nine passes and two touchdowns from his older brother against Franklin — one of three receivers that had at least 78 yards receiving on the record night.

Brennen Wooten hit nine receivers, and 10 receivers total caught passes on the night. The depth Central features is something that the quarterback said makes the Bobcats’ air raid offense that much more difficult to defend.

“It is huge to have so many great receivers,” Brennen Wooten said. “We have four great starters, and the backups can contribute just as well as the starters. We are so deep, and that makes it hard to stop us because we can keep people fresh.

“Plus, our defense is phenomenal. It is amazing to have a defense as good as we do. They get us back on the field, and we are trying to put up points for them to reward that unit.”

Davis said Brennen Wooten has adjusted well to the 6A game after two years starting at Marble Falls and is still improving.

“He is coming into his own as a 6A quarterback at a high level here. He is only going to get better,” Davis said. “He goes through his progressions and is so disciplined. He doesn’t freak out. He is going to look at his read, move on and look at his next read, and his feet are never going to be happy.

“He is going to sit in the pocket as long as he can. He is a prototypical pocket passer, which is something that we haven’t had.

“The receivers have caught some unbelievable passes and the offensive line has done great — he hasn’t been sacked. It all goes together, but you have to have a trigger man.”

The quarterback has been so prolific through three games (91 of 126, 1,056 yards, 11 TDs) that his yardage already ties him for the 16th-most passing yards in an entire season for Central.

Brennen Wooten said he has been able to focus on the season and improving as a player instead of all the hoopla normally surrounding a blue-chip recruit, because he has been locked in with TCU for so long.

“There are a lot of kids that try to build up a lot of drama,” he said. “I’m not that kind of person. I am happy with my decision and happy to be trying to win a lot of games at Central.

“I have a great relationship with (co-offensive coordinator) coach (Sonny) Cumbie. I think he is a top-notch quarterback coach and a top-notch man. TCU is a great place, and I love Fort Worth. Coach (Gary) Patterson is obviously one of the best head coaches in the country. I feel like it is a great fit for me. They are one of the top teams in the nation; that is huge, too.”

Central at Frenship

Where: Peoples Bank Stadium, Wolfforth

Records: Central is 3-0; Frenship is 3-0

Of note: Central won 36-14 last year.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                        Special Teams
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                        I
                        A note on Abilene. We are loaded with young talent though the next alignment will more than likely see Abilene drop to 5A. If that occurs and Abilene Wylie moves up, Abilene will have three schools in that classification. 5A won't be a cakewalk. That being said, Abilene may be removed from the mix of 6A football beginning season 2016.
                        As someone who was usually in Wylie's district growing up (and whose town seemed to always represent the opposite end of the Wylie enrollment cutoff rule) it would do my heart good to see Abilene obliterate, er, play Wylie. I believe I'll attend that one if/when it happens.

Comment

• mike03car
                          Special Teams
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

As someone who was usually in Wylie's district growing up (and whose town seemed to always represent the opposite end of the Wylie enrollment cutoff rule) it would do my heart good to see Abilene obliterate, er, play Wylie. I believe I'll attend that one if/when it happens.
                          The Abilene Reporter News sports reporter whom covers Abilene High stated our enrollment is around 2100.
                          So, dropping to 5A is possible but quite unlikely with that number.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                            Special Teams
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

I dare say there are many who would love to see that very thing...!!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                              Special Teams
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                              The Abilene Reporter News sports reporter whom covers Abilene High stated our enrollment is around 2100.
                              And somehow Wylie will manage to be a couple of students below the 5A cutoff...

Comment

• mike03car
                                Special Teams
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

And somehow Wylie will manage to be a couple of students below the 5A cutoff...
                                That's what I said to him (Wallar) and he said Hugh's got it figured out!

Twitter copy/paste:

Comment

• mike03car
                                  Special Teams
                                  • Aug 2015

Here we go. I knew he replied the number to someone:

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                                    I would think that at 2100, it is extremely likely that Abilene High will drop. The cutoff was 2100 last time. If that is raised only 10 as it was last time or even 25 as the time before then we will be 5A. With the continuing opening of schools in the metro area it seems more than likely to me that we go down. JMHO

Comment

• Shady12
                                      2nd Team
                                      • Apr 2015

If that happens I hope we schedule y'all. Tried to get Cooper on the schedule for next year and they don't want to.

Comment

• mike03car
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Aug 2015

Otoh, Coach Del Van Cox said in booster that our enrollment has been about 200 more than last year. However, I don't know what it was last year or how it compares to 2013.

Comment

• Shady12
                                          2nd Team
                                          • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...o-far_93837660

CENTRAL ADVANCE: Bobcats run D to face sternest test so far

‘Strength on strength' as Central meets Frenship

By Quinton Martinez

In three games this season, the Central High School defense has allowed just 162 yards rushing — an average of 54 yards per game.

That stout run defense will be tested more than it has been all season Friday night when the Bobcats head north to take on Frenship in a battle of 3-0 Class 6A foes.

Central head football coach Brent Davis knows how much of a challenge the Tigers present because he has seen it firsthand as a 1983 graduate of the school that his father, Bobby, built into a South Plains power.

The 2015 Tigers are led by Brent’s brother Brad, a position he has held since Bobby Davis retired in 2006.

“They are going to try to run the clock, and they are going to try to keep us from having the ball,” Brent Davis said. “They will run more than anyone we’ve played so far. They are 62 percent run, and they will probably be more than that against us.

“The good news is that is one of our strengths — run defense. It will be strength on strength. I’ll take our guys any day.”

The leader of the defensive effort the last two weeks has been defensive end Dylan Parsee.

The Stephen F. Austin commit had a game-high 14 tackles last week and leads the team with 30 stops on the year.

“Dylan was our leading tackler this week and I don’t think we’ve ever had a defensive end be the leading tackler in a game. He is our leading total tackler with 30 tackles and has been our defensive player of the week two weeks in a row.

“He has done an incredible job. On top of being an incredible athlete, his leadership and his preparation for our opponents has been incredible. He is relentless on the field, and he has a motor.”

A prime example of Parsee’s effort came on a third-down play early in last week’s win over Franklin.

The Cougars completed a pass to receiver Sebastian Hoy, who rambled 20 yards before being dragged out of bounds by a leaping defender.

That speedy Bobcat was Parsee, who ran all the way from his spot along the defensive line to catch Hoy and yank him out of bounds, picking up a personal-foul penalty for a horse collar tackle.

“We told him on the sideline that was a great play. Just try not to grab his collar next time,” Central defensive coordinator Mark Chester joked. “Coach (BJ) Petillo and coach (Freddy) Davis really coach effort, and you see it in their kids on the field. Every one of them hustles from the snap to the whistle. Parsee is really a skill player playing on the defensive line. He is as fast as anybody on our football team.”

Parsee and the Central front six will face a talented back in Frenship’s Ronald Awatt. Lubbock Cooper saw just how difficult Awatt is to contain, when the speedy back broke a 39-yard TD run with 17 seconds to play that proved to be the difference in a 21-16 Frenship win.

Awatt had 20 carries for 115 yards in helping the Tigers erase a 6-0 halftime deficit. Even in the win, Frenship was outgained 309-270 by the Pirates, in their second season at the 5A level.

“We have to get them in second- and third-and-long to make them have to throw the ball,” Davis said. “They are capable of throwing the ball, that’s just not what they want to do. Their tailback is really good. He is their go-to guy. We’ve got to shut him down. ... He is probably the best running back we will have seen up to this point.”

Bobcat Bites

Last week against Franklin, junior safety Brock Martin intercepted his third pass in as many games to help set up Central’s 36-point second quarter.

Central’s Brent Davis is 2-0 in his career against Frenship, the first win coming at The Colony against his father, Bobby, and the second coming last year against his brother Brad.

Central at Frenship

Where: Peoples Bank Stadium, Wolfforth

Records: Central 3-0, Frenship 3-0

Of note: Frenship is coached by Brad Davis, the brother of Central head coach Brent Davis

Comment

• Shady12
                                            2nd Team
                                            • Apr 2015

DCTF Fixin' to Pick 'Em features Angry Orange vs. Frenship:

Comment

• Shady12
                                              2nd Team
                                              • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...dweek_63890023

CENTRAL MIDWEEK: Central's offensive line holding its own despite injuries

By Quinton Martinez

The Central High School football coaching staff knew the offensive line might be a work in progress during the nondistrict portion of the 2015 season.

What the coaches couldn’t have predicted is how many moving parts that would entail as Central’s front has been hit hard by injuries that have forced changes nearly every week.

Starters Blake Furman (left guard) and Cameron Cross (center) have each missed time because of injury, forcing the rest of the line to pick up the slack and offensive line coach Jon Long to see just how much depth he has.

“That is just football sometimes — especially in the trenches,” said Long, in his second season on the staff at Central. “You get beat up a bit here and there. Consistency is always an important part of offensive line.

“We’ve got some guys that are stepping up, and we’ve seen some good things out of some guys the last few weeks. We have a ‘Next guy up’ mentality and we are doing OK.”

Left tackle Braxton Webb, an SMU commit, and right tackle Rodrick Mayberry have each solidified the line, while Long has been pleased with the play of Desmond Salamanca, Jonathon Uresti as well as Fern Rodriguez and freshman Gunner Couch, who have had to fill the shoes of the injured Cross and Furman.

“Rodrick has come a long way from when we first got him,” Long said. “He has always been a big kid, an athletic kid and a strong kid. He had some technical things that we had to fix. He was really raw when I got him. He has become the vocal leader, too, which is awesome for me. He has jumped into the role and done a great job.

“Braxton is a steady hand. He always helps us and does a great job.”

Mayberry was named the offensive player of the week after grading out at 91 percent, having four pancakes and not yielding a sack against the aggressive Frenship defensive scheme.

Long said the Bobcats’ right tackle, who played as a freshman and sophomore at TLCA, has graded over 90 percent all year.

“In the beginning it was pretty hard to adjust,” Mayberry said. “I came from a running offense and I had to get used to pass sets. Other than that, it has been pretty easy overall.

“Our main focus in practice is not giving up a sack. Against Frenship, they were sending six people against us and that is hard to block. Outside of that I think we’ve done pretty good.”

Despite the shuffling bodies, Central has only allowed two sacks this season — both coming in last week’s game against Frenship.

Both Long and head coach Brent Davis have been pleased with the consistent improvement that the linemen have shown this year, including Rodriguez at center, who started his first game for the Bobcats last week.

“He had played some before and played quite a bit against Franklin, but (last week) was the first time he ever had to prepare to start, and I thought he did really well,” Davis said. “He is going have to keep stepping up for us.”

Long feels confident that Uresti can play tackle, guard or center if needed and said that Couch is making strides — especially considering he has gone straight from eighth grade to 6A varsity football.

“For Gunner everything is new, but everything improves every day,” Long said. “It isn’t eighth-grade football anymore, but he has never batted an eye at it.”

Despite breaking in four new starters, and injury woes, Central has still averaged 41 points and 466 yards per game on offense through four games.

“Other than Braxton, we were very young (in terms of experience) across the board,” Long said. “It was always a worry, but it was never a big issue for me. I knew they would get better and better.”

Bobcat bites

Central is attempting the go unbeaten in nondistrict (in a schedule of at least four games) for the first time since 1991. The ’91 Bobcats finished 10-3-1 and were actually 3-0-1 in nondistrict, including a 15-15 tie against San Antonio Clark. Shea Morenz quarterbacked that team to the state semifinals.

The Bobcats last went 5-0 in nondistrict in 1956 against a schedule that included Fort Worth Northside, El Paso High, Arlington Heights, Lufkin, San Antonio Harlandale and Dallas Sunset.

Central vs. Laredo Alexander

Where: San Angelo Stadium

Records: Central is 4-0; Alexander is 2-2

Of note: Central won 42-28 last year

Comment

• Shady12
                                                2nd Team
                                                • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...-home_54848519

CENTRAL FOOTBALL ADVANCE: Road weary Bobcats happy to be back at home

By Quinton Martinez

The Central Bobcats will finish the first half of the regular season at home against Laredo Alexander.

To the Bobcats and their coaches, the key part of that sentence is “at home.”

Though travel isn’t new to the team, when the San Angelo Independent School District buses returned home last week, it capped the Bobcats’ third road game in four weeks, totaling more than 1,000 miles.

The Bobcats are happy to be walking out of their own locker rooms in front of their own fans Friday night.

“We’ve had three really long road trips, and I think it showed a bit at the beginning of the Frenship game,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “It is not an excuse. We weren’t really sharp in that first quarter, and we are glad to be home. We will be able to get into our routine, play in front of our great home crowd and give them something to yell about.”

The Bobcats are hoping to get the same boost from their home crowd at San Angelo Stadium that pushed them over the top in their past two home appearances — the “Comeback on the Concho” playoff win last year over Arlington Bowie (55-52, two overtimes) and a 43-42 come-from-behind win over Byron Nelson three weeks ago.

In a perfect run at home last season, the Bobcats averaged 39.5 points per game.

“We are pretty tired from playing on the road,” receiver Cal Vincent said. “We are happy to be here at home. It has been tough with that many road games. We felt tired all the time.

“We can still do better offensively. Our run game has done pretty well. I think there are some things we can do in the passing game. As receivers, we need to do a better job of blocking.”

Vincent leads the Bobcats in receiving with 27 catches for 297 yards and four touchdowns. Aaron Wooten (19-222, 3 TDs) has also eclipsed 200 yards receiving and Adam West is a yard shy (16-199).

The Central offense will contend with another defense aiming to wreak havoc in the backfield, but Alexander relies mostly on its front four to cause damage, unlike blitz-heavy Frenship.

“Our defense needs to play the way they’ve been playing,” said Laredo Alexander head coach Joel Lopez. “We are at home against that kind of spread offense. They see that offense in the spring, and hopefully that can help us to defend (Central’s offense) and put ourselves in position to be successful.”

Lopez said among the Bulldogs’ nine returning starters on defense, the front four leads the way with three seniors and a junior.

Alexander’s defense has allowed the Bulldogs to succeed in low-scoring games, having yielded just 55 points (13.8 per game).

“Their defense is good, and their offense is getting better each week,” Davis said. “They get up the field with their front four. They penetrate a gap and try to get in your backfield with their front four. They are not a big blitzing team.

“We are going to have to play well up front, like against Frenship. We have to control the line of scrimmage.”

Davis is looking to get some reinforcements back this week who had missed some action due to injury, including running back Daven Manning. In parts of two games this season, the junior running back had racked up 168 yards of offense.

Central will be off next week before opening District 3-6A play Oct. 9 at Abilene High.

“We need to get some game time before we go to Abilene, for sure,” Davis said. “All those guys need to see the field so they can get into game speed and game shape.

“Hopefully we can get them back game ready, before we take the week off and get ready for Abilene.”

Central vs. Laredo Alexander

What: Non district football game

Where: San Angelo Stadium

Records: Central 4-0, Alexander 2-2

Of note: Central is looking to go 5-0 in nondistrict for the first time since 1956.

Comment

• mike03car
                                                  Special Teams
                                                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

Of note: Central WILL go 5-0 in nondistrict for the first time since 1956.

FIFY

Comment

• Shady12
                                                    2nd Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/hi...ander_29713994

Bobcats breeze to a 72-14 blowout win over Laredo Alexander

By Quinton Martinez

The last two times the Central Bobcats played at San Angelo Stadium, it took a fourth-quarter rally for the home team to pull out a win.

Friday night on homecoming, the Bobcats took care of business much sooner than the final frame, earning a convincing 72-14 win over Laredo Alexander.

The victory kept Central perfect on the year and gave the Bobcats their first 5-0 non-district start to a season since 1956. [Shady12 note: Not sure why he's playing this up, how many times does a team play that many non-district games in a season? Went undefeated in 2013 non-district]

“Our defense played extremely well and our offense played well,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “When we do that, we are going to put points up.

“Our defense is playing well and it has been. Our offense clicked tonight. We needed to get Daven (Manning) some reps tonight and we did. It is good to be 5-0 — that hasn’t happened around here in a long time.”

The Bulldogs, featuring nine returning starters on defense from 2014, had not allowed more than 25 points in any game all season coming into the game, but gave up more than double that by the half.

Central led Alexander 51-0 at the break, thanks in large part to the play of its own defense.

Senior defensive end Dylan Parsee had two strip sacks in the first half, powering a dominant effort from Central’s defensive front against the Bulldogs.

“We knew their quarterback was young (a sophomore) and we wanted to put some heat on him and make it hard for him to sit back there and throw,” Parsee said. “I was just trying to play my best and go get the quarterback.”

The Bobcats defense held Alexander to three three-and-out in the first quarter, but truly took the game over in the second quarter.

Consistent pressure forced the Bulldogs to line up for their fifth punt of the contest, when the snap sailed high and Alexander could do nothing but fall on the ball in the end zone, and defensive lineman Austin Garcia cleaned up the play to earn the safety and a 24-0 Central lead.

“We are playing with a lot of confidence right now,” Garcia said. “We just go out there and try to do our job; we work hard in practice against the scout team and during the game.

“On the bad snap I saw the ball, but he covered it up, so I jumped on top of him.”

Parsee ended the next two Bulldogs’ drives with a sack and forced fumble — the first allowing Cedrick Smith to scoop and score from five yards out — and the second setting the table for an 87-yard drive that was the dagger in the second quarter.

After Garcia pounced on the free ball jarred loose by Parsee, Brennen Wooten led the Bobcats offense on a 10-play drive that ended with his second rushing TD of the night, from five yards out.

Wooten hit Manny Villanueva on the next drive for a 27-yard TD to cap the first half.

The senior quarterback finished his night 22 of 30 for 278 with four TDs passing and another two on the ground.

While the defense was dominant, keeping Alexander (25 carries, three yards) in negative rushing yardage until the final two plays of the game, the offense again showed off a handful of playmakers.

Twelve Bobcats caught a pass, seven players scored a touchdown, and six players had at least one carry, including Manning, who returned after missing two weeks due to injury.

Manning led the team with 78 yards on nine carries, but four other backs had at least 29 yards on the ground — including Khalil Antoine (5-29, 2 TDs).

After two weeks in the backfield, Mike Brown returned to slot receiver Friday and burned the Alexander defense with touchdowns on both of his catches — from 18 and 40 yards out.

“That is our philosophy to spread the ball around, spread the field and use it,” Davis said. “When you can throw it to that many guys and have success — along with both of our backs — it makes it a tough deal to defend.”

Though Alexander sophomore quarterback Ezekiel Coss struggled early, Davis felt like he improved as the game went along, and his stats bear that out.

Coss finished 17 of 36 with 220 yards and two touchdowns, but had two lost fumbles. Receiver Eric Ovalle was the biggest weapon offensively for the Bulldogs with five catches for 84 yards and a score.

After a nondistrict slate that featured four long road trips, Central will get a breather after Friday, with an open date before opening District 3-6A play Oct. 9 with a huge contest at Shotwell Stadium against Abilene High.

“We know it is going to be a tough district — we’ve been preaching it all week,” Garcia said. “We have a bye week coming up so we can rest up and game plan. Abilene is a tough team. We know we had to work hard for it last year, and we are going to have to again.

“Hopefully we can get the three-peat.”

Central 72
                                                    Alexander 14

Alexander 0 0 7 7 — 14
                                                    Central 22 29 14 7 — 72

FIRST QUARTER
                                                    Central — Aaron Wooten 3 pass from Brennen Wooten (Mike Brown run), 9:00 remaining
                                                    Central — Khalil Antoine 11 run (Marc Cabrera kick), 6:04
                                                    Central — Mike Brown 18 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 0:05

SECOND QUARTER
                                                    Central — Safety (Austin Garcia), 11:08
                                                    Central — B. Wooten 23 run (Cabrera kick), 10:47
                                                    Central — Cedrick Smith 5 fumble return (Cabrera kick), 9:28 Central — B. Wooten 5 run (kick failed), 2:20
                                                    Central — Manny Villanueva 27 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 0:48

THIRD QUARTER
                                                    Central — Adam West 12 pass from B. Wooten (Cabrera kick), 10:08
                                                    Central — Brown 40 pass from Cal Vincent (Collin McDonald kick), 6:40
                                                    Alexander — Eric Ovalle 9 pass from Ezekiel Coss (Juan Vidales kick), 0:29

FOURTH QUARTER
                                                    Central — Antoine 9 run (McDonald kick), 9:00
                                                    Alexander — Peter Brewster 11 pass from Coss (Vidales kick), 6:48

Alexander Central
                                                    First downs 12 25
                                                    Rushing Yards 25-3 31-218
                                                    Passing Yards 220 339
                                                    Comp-Att-Int 17-36-0 28-37-0
                                                    Fumbles-lost 3-2 1-0
                                                    Punts-avg. 6-28 2-28.5
                                                    Penalties-yards 5-48 11-68

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                                    RUSHING: Alexander — Jonathan LaCroix 11-23, Alexander Gomez 5-16, Dante’ Swain 1-0, Ezekiel Coss 7-(-16), TEAM 1-(-20). Central — Daven Manning 9-78, Henry Teeter 4-36, Brennen Wooten 6-35, Cal Vincent 2-33, Khalil Antoine 5-29, Manny Villanueva 2-11, TEAM 3-(-4).

PASSING: Alexander — Coss 17-36-0 for 220. Central — B. Wooten 22-30-0 for 278; Vincent 4-5-0 for 50; Teeter 2-2-0 for 11.

RECEIVING: Alexander — Eric Ovalle 5-84, Swain 4-54, Mark Gonzales 3-47, Peter Brewster 3-21, Sam Ramos 1-9, LaCroix 1-5. Central — Adam West 3-76, Mike Brown 2-58; Aaron Wooten 3-44, Villanueva 3-34; Vincent 2-27, Manning 4-25, Antoine 3-22, Grindstaff 2-13, Aych 3-13, Teeter 1-11, Donovan Moore 1-9, Luis Pena 1-7.

RECORDS: Central 5-0, Alexander 2-3

Comment

Working...