X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trojanbacker2
    Special Teams
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by tonydelasalle151
    hey trojanbacker it was the long snapper biago capp # 54 he was so excited to go out there and go in after custer went all the way and ran into the referee
    Poor kid. I'm sure he heard about it later.

Comment

• worldcitizen
      Practice Squad
      • Jul 2015

My Texas brothers,
      That was a great game. Two very physical teams. I thought Trinity had an excellent game plan and they are a very good team. Even though I love these games I wish they could happen long after the 1st game but just not possible I guess. Anyway, I am now a Trinity fan (as well as a DLS fan) and hope they have a great year. Does anybody know what the time of possession was? It seemed like Trinity had the ball most of 2nd half and would not let DLS play with the ball. Very inconsiderate of them.

Comment

• DPaul
        Special Teams
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by worldcitizen
        My Texas brothers,
        That was a great game. Two very physical teams. I thought Trinity had an excellent game plan and they are a very good team. Even though I love these games I wish they could happen long after the 1st game but just not possible I guess. Anyway, I am now a Trinity fan (as well as a DLS fan) and hope they have a great year. Does anybody know what the time of possession was? It seemed like Trinity had the ball most of 2nd half and would not let DLS play with the ball. Very inconsiderate of them.
        Lol. I don't know what the time of possession was but that's pretty much what Trinity does. They churn 1st down after 1st down and if they don't score they flip the field on you.

But kudos to De La Salle. That is a very good team with the biggest D-Line I think I've ever seen in high school, holy crap. Asiasi, Tagaloa, Wiley and that junior #74 was a load. Not just big but big and skilled. Lateral quickness was something to watch. That whole defense was fast and Trinity had to earn every yard which they have no problem doing; they grind on you.

Very impressed with the DLS fan turnout. I know it sucks to make that trip and lose (trust me I know) but the bottomline is DLS left it all out there on the field and should be commended for their game and not ridiculed. That was the most hard fought game I've seen in person.

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dragonpants
          Trinity is always a slow starter and they get significantly better as the season progresses so the rest of the state should be very nervous. This is the best early season Trinity team I have ever seen.

Now Trinity has some things to work on. I sound like a broken record but I cannot believe they cannot put together at least an average special teams group on the field.
          In terms of QB, Natee is better than last year but everytime he throws the ball more than 10-15 yards you should make him run laps or if the OC called the play, he should run.

The term hail mary gets a new definition anytime he throws the long ball.
          In terms of conditioning this was also the best Trinity has looked in a long time.
          I didn't see the big bodies getting gassed as in the past.
          Jensen is doing a great job so far.
          Punting is a problem. Kicking depends on the kicker. We have two. One is good, the other, not so much. I can only guess the line drive kicker who missed the XP is a senior so the coaches feel they owe him. The other guy can hit out to 35 yards down the middle no problem. Other than the kicking, the rest of the special teams are pretty solid. Coverage is great.

I agree about the long passes. Always overthrown. Once the coaches started calling the short stuff, he was pretty accurate. They need to put Natee in a position to succeed. If they do, he can be pretty effective as a passer.

First time I have said this. Sweeney is not a very good QB in terms of throwing balls. His deep balls as just as bad as Natee's. His short throws are not even always accurate. Some of the DLS guys on another board kept talking about drops and how if they'd hit those, they would have won by three TD's. Well, there was only one or two obvious should have caught it drops. I have watched it twice now on DVR. The rest were poorly thrown and you'd have to be Dez Bryant to catch those. The receivers can hardly be blamed.

BTW, pants. If you want, just PM the Admin and he can change your screen name to dragonpants as it should be.
          Super B

Comment

• Super B
            All District
            • Apr 2015

My Texas brothers,
            I hear ya. If anything, best case would be a week 4 for us. We have a seven team district. Meaning a bye week. Currently our bye week is week 11 which is the last of the regular season, but I seriously doubt the coaches would want to give up the extra prep time for the playoffs.
            Super B

Comment

• GloryDays98
              Practice Squad
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Trojanbacker2

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, but thanks for all the back and forth before and after the game. I don't care what some others may say, DLS is a great looking team. They would do very well here in Texas....every year. Now, if only we could get this to be a home-and-home series. I'd also like to know about the DLS conditioning program. We sat on the visitors' side Saturday night and couldn't help but notice how great a shape all the players are in. Not much fat in that group.
              I'll start by saying that was an impressive showing by Trinity, that is a solid physical team. Thought I'd answer your question regarding the conditioning at DLS.

Weight training starts the day you get back from Xmas break, and runs MWF. If you play a winter or spring sport you're still liable for the training, so those kids are in the weight room at 6AM. The weight training (at least going back 15 years) was your standard multiple muscle movement Olympic style training. It has been updated recently to include more quickness/explosion techniques.

That carries the team to summer. Summer workouts are run on T/Th afternoon and Saturday morning. T/Th start outside with grass drills like liners, tire pulls, ropes, and move inside to the weight room after an hour to an hour and a half. Saturday is pretty much the same, with the addition of a track circuit at the end of grass drills.

1 400 yard run
              2 300 yard runs
              3 200 yard runs
              4 100 yard runs

The fun continues in season as well. After Monday practices the team runs gassers (one sideline to the other x2). The number starts around 8 and progresses by about one or two a week during the season, depending on the coaches mood. After Wednesday's practice there is position specific conditioning. Linemen hit the 5 man sled, for what seemed liked two eternities while the skill guys played catch or some other nonsense.

Theres a documentary that followed around the 2000 DLS team that features quite a bit of these workouts. I'm biased but I think it was really well done.

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                Special Teams
                • May 2015

out of the 24 minutes in the 2nd half trinity had the ball 17 minutes and dls had it 7 minutes # 74 for dls his name is tuli letuligasenoa ( good luck pronouncing it ) he is a sophomore.... I graded the dls
                coaching staff a complete F ... very rare on this grade .. its sad and frustrating to see that you have a tight end that's rated like # 3 in the nation and was very rarely used and the coaching staff failed to
                realize that trinity s secondary is not all that good .. db got beat by vandy in 1st half and vandy drops ball ? nobody around custer in 1st qt and Sweeney ( garbage ) misses him and of course on devin s
                pass at the end again db s no where to be found again ? and it was botched .. Sweeney int in ist half . the reason why is cause his decision making is worse than pete carroll in sb and colin kapernick
                vs seattle the year before... this qb cant see over any linebackers ... last drive dls was doing dive play .. lol uhhhhhhhhh hit custer on a screen or slant dls takes lead .. no man coaching staff caught napping
                oh by the way the whole team had their head down including coaching staff headed on to team bus except one guy ... yes you guessed it antoine custer .. best player on the field along with Wilson and natee
                be glad jenson is smart enough to use his best players ... note ... I hate to lose and im frustrated ya know like most cowboy fans .. your team plays great then tony romo comes along and says hey other team
                here is the ball and ya lose

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                  Special Teams
                  • May 2015

ripped a new you know what over on spartanhood .. I think ill get some criticism over there for sure that I should not be so hard on Sweeney .. who knows I might get kicked out
                  anyways I should remember ya cant win them all

Comment

• Super B
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

out of the 24 minutes in the 2nd half trinity had the ball 17 minutes and dls had it 7 minutes # 74 for dls his name is tuli letuligasenoa ( good luck pronouncing it ) he is a sophomore.... I graded the dls
                    coaching staff a complete F ... very rare on this grade .. its sad and frustrating to see that you have a tight end that's rated like # 3 in the nation and was very rarely used and the coaching staff failed to
                    realize that trinity s secondary is not all that good .. db got beat by vandy in 1st half and vandy drops ball ? nobody around custer in 1st qt and Sweeney ( garbage ) misses him and of course on devin s
                    pass at the end again db s no where to be found again ? and it was botched .. Sweeney int in ist half . the reason why is cause his decision making is worse than pete carroll in sb and colin kapernick
                    vs seattle the year before... this qb cant see over any linebackers ... last drive dls was doing dive play .. lol uhhhhhhhhh hit custer on a screen or slant dls takes lead .. no man coaching staff caught napping
                    oh by the way the whole team had their head down including coaching staff headed on to team bus except one guy ... yes you guessed it antoine custer .. best player on the field along with Wilson and natee
                    be glad jenson is smart enough to use his best players ... note ... I hate to lose and im frustrated ya know like most cowboy fans .. your team plays great then tony romo comes along and says hey other team
                    here is the ball and ya lose
                    Tony. Your a good guy, but this is the last post like this I want to see here. It comes across like, <the only reason you guys won is because we coached and played so horribly> -or- <if we had coached and played up to our capability, you guys wouldn't have stood a chance>.

Seriously, no more. Ever think maybe the reason DLS didn't play as well as they do normally is because they were playing Trinity, a very good team? That is pure Spartan arrogance right there my brother. Sounds like a Spurs fans. Let me tell you something. Trinity is usually winning 35-3 at halftime against many of our opponents. I haven't figured it out yet, but for some reason when we play teams like Southlake Carroll, eSoto, Allen, De La Salle we play "horrible". Geez, you'd think we could chose to have one of our better games and play more like we play against Haltom, Richland and Bell. I just don't get what the coaches and players are thinking by not playing that well against such big time opposition.

Look, it was the first game of the season! Neither team was in mid season form. Both teams made a few mistakes here and there. However a lot of that had to do with the opponent as well. I have watched the game on DVR TV twice now. It's not nearly as bad as I thought when I saw it live. Not a perfect game, but not bad either.
                    Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Maybe the game plan with the DLS coaching staff all along was to sacrifice the offensive production of Asiasi to let him make plays and be a factor on the defensive side of the ball. He along with the DLS defensive front did a good job in limiting the Trinity offensive production that they figured their other play makers could give them a chance to win on the offensive side of the football. The coaching staff of DLS had their team prepared to play it just comes down to execution after that and a few plays here and there by both teams could have been the difference in a win or loss . The DLS coaching staff did put the ball in Asiasi hands late in the game and had a shot to score the go ahead TD it was just a lack of execution that hurt them. That's the game we all love. An inch or two here and there is the difference when you get two evenly matched teams playing

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                        Special Teams
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by GloryDays98

I'll start by saying that was an impressive showing by Trinity, that is a solid physical team. Thought I'd answer your question regarding the conditioning at DLS.

Weight training starts the day you get back from Xmas break, and runs MWF. If you play a winter or spring sport you're still liable for the training, so those kids are in the weight room at 6AM. The weight training (at least going back 15 years) was your standard multiple muscle movement Olympic style training. It has been updated recently to include more quickness/explosion techniques.

That carries the team to summer. Summer workouts are run on T/Th afternoon and Saturday morning. T/Th start outside with grass drills like liners, tire pulls, ropes, and move inside to the weight room after an hour to an hour and a half. Saturday is pretty much the same, with the addition of a track circuit at the end of grass drills.

1 400 yard run
                        2 300 yard runs
                        3 200 yard runs
                        4 100 yard runs

The fun continues in season as well. After Monday practices the team runs gassers (one sideline to the other x2). The number starts around 8 and progresses by about one or two a week during the season, depending on the coaches mood. After Wednesday's practice there is position specific conditioning. Linemen hit the 5 man sled, for what seemed liked two eternities while the skill guys played catch or some other nonsense.

Theres a documentary that followed around the 2000 DLS team that features quite a bit of these workouts. I'm biased but I think it was really well done.
                        That's impressive. Thanks for the info. No wonder those kids looked so solid and moved so well.

Comment

• GloryDays98
                          Practice Squad
                          • Aug 2015

Farmer- I believe Asiasi was limited in the pass game due to how aggressive Trinity was. Most of the designed passes to the TE are off dive/power play action, and lets be honest there was no success at all there. Would have liked to see DLS try and stay with the things that worked by getting outside a little, and maybe forcing something on Asiasi. Trinity was more than up to task on the defense.

Comment

• pied
                            2nd Team
                            • Apr 2015

My thoughts. Kind of sloppy and a bit surprised to see that poor of tackling from both teams. I saw the second half and thought that it was pretty even and I'd give the nod to Trinity slightly. Either team should have felt fortunate/lucky to win and the losing side cold genuinely feel that they should have won and (imo) been correct.

Looking at the breaks, I think Trinity got a couple of better ones, but that's life. The DLS coaching staff(and players) should be ashamed at their clock management. It was one of those times where I don't really care who wins and I'm getting angry at the staff for not having the team have a little sense of urgency on that last drive.

It certainly was a fun game, and both teams should be have plenty to build on, but it's hard for me to say it was a "great" game based on the errors/clock management.

Comment

• pied
                              2nd Team
                              • Apr 2015

Here's my issue. I get it, you just need a TD and you want to work clock. There's a way to do that and a way not to do that.

You get the ball on your 18 with 5:24 left.

Run the ball twice and take a minute off the clock. You're at your own 28 with 4:33 left

Run the ball 5 times in a row (10, 3, 7, 3, 1) and then throw again complete for 14 yards( on 3rd and 16) and you've taken up another three minutes.

Three minutes for 28 yards and one first down. After the 4th down conversion they finally show a little urgency getting to the line, but they needed chunks of yards, and weren't even trying for four minutes.

I loved the TE throw, but a bit too much on it(putting it mildly). Too little too late.

Comment

• pied
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B

Tony. Your a good guy, but this is the last post like this I want to see here. It comes across like, <the only reason you guys won is because we coached and played so horribly> -or- <if we had coached and played up to our capability, you guys wouldn't have stood a chance>.

Seriously, no more.....
                                I figured it was going to be about his formatting...

Are you upset that a fan of another team isn't giving the credit you think is due your team after a loss? You'll be waiting a LONGGGGGG time I think.

Comment

• Super B
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by pied

I figured it was going to be about his formatting...

Are you upset that a fan of another team isn't giving the credit you think is due your team after a loss? You'll be waiting a LONGGGGGG time I think.

Yeah I know. I have read elsewhere some of their fans have said similar things. Tony mostly elsewhere has been by far the worst.
                                  Super B

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                                    Special Teams
                                    • May 2015

obviously don't feel good about what I said and I was frustrated especially when ya get rated # 1 in the country and I have high expectations and I got lousy friends that love to talk trash about dls .. so I let my emotions get
                                    to me . yeah I don't think I swore ??? let my opinions out .. didn't you say its ok to trash talk I mean you tried it before the game . well I did it after the game .. tough place to play in texas .. I already apologize to the guys over at spartanhood and ill apologize to you and everyone on this board also..

Comment

• TexasBob
                                      Hall of Fame
                                      • May 2015

obviously don't feel good about what I said and I was frustrated especially when ya get rated # 1 in the country and I have high expectations and I got lousy friends that love to talk trash about dls .. so I let my emotions get
                                      to me . yeah I don't think I swore ??? let my opinions out .. didn't you say its ok to trash talk I mean you tried it before the game . well I did it after the game .. tough place to play in texas .. I already apologize to the guys over at spartanhood and ill apologize to you and everyone on this board also..
                                      You're OK! At least you have some passion about your team.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

No worries Tony. You're a passionate fan of the game and DLS so you're entitled to emotions. No offense to Trinity fans but had they lost the game, I am sure there would have been a few questions about this and that and that and this.

Heck of a game. A shame somebody has to lose. DLS has my respect and they would be one of the top teams in this great state of Texas. I look forward to coming to CA and sitting with you when they play in their state championship game in December, that is unless my Eagles are still playing!

Faith my friend, faith!

Comment

• BevoBo
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Apr 2015

Tony, your good with me. Trinity was fortunate and it wasn't the first time or the last. In big games you have execute and sometimes be lucky. Ask SLC about the fox. In the record book, it goes down as a win no matter what anyone says about the game and that's all that matters to me. Great meeting you and John.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

Tony, your good with me. Trinity was fortunate and it wasn't the first time or the last. In big games you have execute and sometimes be lucky. Ask SLC about the fox. In the record book, it goes down as a win no matter what anyone says about the game and that's all that matters to me. Great meeting you and John.
                                            The fox(s) live in that stadium, coming and going. On any given game day (SMU games), you can see him lying in the north bleachers taking in the sun (since it's all empty!). I've gotten a few pictures of him. My son said when the band is practicing in the stadium, he's running around the stands and sometimes on the field.

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                                              Special Teams
                                              • May 2015

once again I am sorry if I offended anyone on this board or even at spartanhood .. I used horrible comparsions and horrible words ... the word garbage has been banned from my talk in the future
                                              trinity is a great team and have a great defense and they deserve to win they are rated # 2 in texas I wish them luck rest of the season .. one last thing who ever posted that taunt by Wilson after the game has no class .. I hope that guy gets an ear full like I did for being mad at my own team !!!!

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                                                Special Teams
                                                • May 2015

i hope you rip svhorns also super b .. this guy post a direct taunt at California and nothing was said ??? i went back and read all my ;post after the game and i thought i was real fair . ya got benT out of shape cause i ripped my own team ? sorta told the truth .. you said i was real bad ???? ya talk how classy the coach is and dls are like the spurs fans I HOPE YOU RIP SVHORNS THAT FILM COVERAGE OF WILSON IS UNACCEPTABLE ON THIS BOARD AND IN THE STATE OF TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just hopin your consistent love all of ya

Comment

• svhorns
                                                  All State
                                                  • Apr 2015

i hope you rip svhorns also super b .. this guy post a direct taunt at California and nothing was said ??? i went back and read all my ;post after the game and i thought i was real fair . ya got benT out of shape cause i ripped my own team ? sorta told the truth .. you said i was real bad ???? ya talk how classy the coach is and dls are like the spurs fans I HOPE YOU RIP SVHORNS THAT FILM COVERAGE OF WILSON IS UNACCEPTABLE ON THIS BOARD AND IN THE STATE OF TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just hopin your consistent love all of ya
                                                  Huh? Shoot the messenger I guess. The kid was full of emotion and pride and wanted to make a statement, personally I thought it was cool. Great game Tony, just way too many sloppy mistakes to win against a tough Texas team. I thought you guys were going to be able to limit the mistakes and play sound fundamental football but I guess it doesn't matter what state you're from Trinity will make you make mistakes. I predicited DLS to win and that was simply becuase I thought they would play a mistake free fundamental football game, but they didnt.

Good luck in Cali.

Comment

• JagFan
                                                    1st Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

ripped a new you know what over on spartanhood .. I think ill get some criticism over there for sure that I should not be so hard on Sweeney .. who knows I might get kicked out
                                                    anyways I should remember ya cant win them all
                                                    Love your passion for your team! Venting about a loss is nothing new here in Texas. I wear sometimes I think heads will explode. It was a tough loss to a very very good team. Nothing to hang your heads about at all. But I do understand the frustration in that it was a tough loss and the need to vent some. Your fellow fans on your board should understand that.

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                                                      Special Teams
                                                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                                                      Punting is a problem. Kicking depends on the kicker. We have two. One is good, the other, not so much. I can only guess the line drive kicker who missed the XP is a senior so the coaches feel they owe him. The other guy can hit out to 35 yards down the middle no problem. Other than the kicking, the rest of the special teams are pretty solid. Coverage is great.

I agree about the long passes. Always overthrown. Once the coaches started calling the short stuff, he was pretty accurate. They need to put Natee in a position to succeed. If they do, he can be pretty effective as a passer.

First time I have said this. Sweeney is not a very good QB in terms of throwing balls. His deep balls as just as bad as Natee's. His short throws are not even always accurate. Some of the DLS guys on another board kept talking about drops and how if they'd hit those, they would have won by three TD's. Well, there was only one or two obvious should have caught it drops. I have watched it twice now on DVR. The rest were poorly thrown and you'd have to be Dez Bryant to catch those. The receivers can hardly be blamed.

BTW, pants. If you want, just PM the Admin and he can change your screen name to dragonpants as it should be.

But don't you think you have to occasionally throw deep just to keep the db's honest? They have to at least be aware that the deep ball is a possibility, right?

Comment

• Super B
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Trojanbacker2

But don't you think you have to occasionally throw deep just to keep the db's honest? They have to at least be aware that the deep ball is a possibility, right?

Yeah probably. Couple of times a game on 2nd and short.

One thing I'd like to see Natee do, is recognize his receiver is covered and take off with the ball. There was several times in the SLC game last year for example that he threw into coverage, but had 10 yards of open field in front of him. I think if he gets a full head of steam he would break some of those for big gains.
                                                        Super B

Comment

• worldcitizen
                                                          Practice Squad
                                                          • Jul 2015

My Texas brothers, a little over a week has passed since the game and I still feel the same way. Texas is the holy land of high school football...period. I had heard that before but thought it was just Texas being Texas. Even though I didn't travel to see the game, that Texas does it bigger and better really kind of hits you in the face and there is no denying it. I have always had respect for all things Texas (except politics) and now I can say without a doubt that Texas is king of high school football. Not that the teams are better because on any given day a team can lose and a team can win but everything that goes along with it is unparalleled.

I would love to see a national tournament of say 30 to 40 teams. I know it won't ever happen but it would be awesome to watch. Too bad these kids have more important things to do than try to see that my wants are met. Anyway, stay cool Texas and good luck the rest of the eternity.

Comment

• sTp
                                                            1st Team
                                                            • Apr 2015

My Texas brothers, a little over a week has passed since the game and I still feel the same way. Texas is the holy land of high school football...period. I had heard that before but thought it was just Texas being Texas. Even though I didn't travel to see the game, that Texas does it bigger and better really kind of hits you in the face and there is no denying it. I have always had respect for all things Texas (except politics) and now I can say without a doubt that Texas is king of high school football. Not that the teams are better because on any given day a team can lose and a team can win but everything that goes along with it is unparalleled.

I would love to see a national tournament of say 30 to 40 teams. I know it won't ever happen but it would be awesome to watch. Too bad these kids have more important things to do than try to see that my wants are met. Anyway, stay cool Texas and good luck the rest of the eternity.
                                                            So happy this game went down, and I echo others in saying that I would have been just as proud had the other team won.

Hopefully the whole experience was all that we made it out to be. Wish you could have made the trip if only to try out the BBQ..

You guys have a new De la Salle fan over here in central Texas..

Comment

Working...