X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by tonydelasalle151
    I think over the years most high school football fans believe that texas loves their high school football cause they draw so well .. we heard stories of how they would draw 30,000 - 40,000
    then the movie Friday night lights came out and that showed how much high school football meant to the wonderful folks of texas .. the passion is there . as far as the quality of teams ?
    well on most rankings they are always up there in top 50 . at least 6-10 schools are in that top 50 .. allen .. trinity .. de soto .. cedar hill .. katy .. skyline .. lake carroll .. so when someone asks
    me where the top schools in America is it will cross my mind the dallas area .. Miami area .. los angeles area .. I don't know for sure how many times the texas schools leave the area
    I really wish super b ( the mvp of this board ) would present that info about trinity ? out of state record like he did with de la salle . that was impressive .. im one of those nut fans that said
    wow super b got some good info on the Spartans ..im not really a HOMER only when someone insults de la salle only cause I don't think they deserve it .. what I noticed with the de la salle Spartans
    is how they are up for evry game ?? they go into every game like they are the underdog ?? its a mindset .. its all part of the system .. they play with urgency . notice during the game they will come out of the huddle no matter what the score of the game is they will sprint up to the line ... to me this is the game of the year for both schools cant wait but most of all cant wait to meet up with the texas fans at our get together on Saturday ... I was surprised with drew being the assistant running back coach .. he wont play folks so your not doomed .. your running back Wilson scares me ..
    for the most part, Texas schools don't leave the area often. Trinity has played John Curtis, Bingham(Utah), Shiloh Christian, ECA, Jenks and Union all in the DFW area. The only team who has defeated them in this area is Jenks. To Trinitys credit they have gone out of state twice. They went to Seattle to play Bellevue and lost and then went up to Bentonville, Arkansas and defeated Bentonville High.

Wilson is special, he's a burner too. Your guys must keep contain and take proper pursuit angles because the slightest crease and he is going to be gone. This is going to be a game where your safeties will get a good workout especially with filling in on the run. I'm not sure Trinity will come out and show too much this early in the season and they are learning a new offensive system over what they've run in the past. That being said your guys will need to be great tacklers as I'm sure you already knew.

Comment

• DLsSpartanz
      Practice Squad
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by DPaul

I understand Antoine Custer is the main back but this Hernandez doesn't get talked about nearly as much as the others like Sweeney, Custer and Asiasi.

How many opportunities does he get in the course of a game? Is he a short yardage option moreso than Custer? Is he a target
      as a receiver out of the backfield with some PA? These unsung guys worry me like the little biddy WR from Allen last year who kilt us, his name was Hart. We better be ready for this Hernandez kid too.
      Antoine gets the press because he does it all. He returns kicks(punts and KOs), lines up in the slot as a receiver, and plays a mean DB in addition to RB. Custer is fast and a shifty. Hernandez is a great compliment to Custer. If teams key on Custer, Hernandez will kill ya. I'd say they're comparable in speed and in size. Hernandez is more of a hit the hole and accelerate north south type of back and is hard to bring down... for not being the biggest dude. Custer can do that as well, but Custer will be more elusive. Likely not gonna see Hernandez lined up as WR but ya never know. He has caught a few balls out of the backfield. Hernandez, like Custer, is a really good athlete. He'll defintely be playing some DB. Custer ran for more yards(barely, 1700 vs 1600), but Hernandez had more TDs on the season.

Comment

• worldcitizen
        Practice Squad
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

for the most part, Texas schools don't leave the area often. Trinity has played John Curtis, Bingham(Utah), Shiloh Christian, ECA, Jenks and Union all in the DFW area. The only team who has defeated them in this area is Jenks. To Trinitys credit they have gone out of state twice. They went to Seattle to play Bellevue and lost and then went up to Bentonville, Arkansas and defeated Bentonville High.

Wilson is special, he's a burner too. Your guys must keep contain and take proper pursuit angles because the slightest crease and he is going to be gone. This is going to be a game where your safeties will get a good workout especially with filling in on the run. I'm not sure Trinity will come out and show too much this early in the season and they are learning a new offensive system over what they've run in the past. That being said your guys will need to be great tacklers as I'm sure you already knew.
        Farmer,
        That Texas does not like to travel or does not feel the need to is disappointing to those of us who love these OOS games. I understand the why part, but it is disappointing all the same. To a non Texan, It's like watching the Major Leagues all star game and having some of the games best pitchers and sluggers opting not to play. I know that it isn't necessary for them to play but for a fan, it sucks. As for Trinity, like you mentioned, they have traveled and I personally have a lot of respect for that and appreciated watching them. Ever since, I have been a fan of Trinity and will root for them, except when they play DLS.

I have asked this previously but got no answer so I'll ask you. I know no games have been played but how do Trinity fans feel about their new coach? What is he doing different than the previous coach? Have the kids all bought in to what he is trying to do?

Comment

• Farmer
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by worldcitizen

Farmer,
          That Texas does not like to travel or does not feel the need to is disappointing to those of us who love these OOS games. I understand the why part, but it is disappointing all the same. To a non Texan, It's like watching the Major Leagues all star game and having some of the games best pitchers and sluggers opting not to play. I know that it isn't necessary for them to play but for a fan, it sucks. As for Trinity, like you mentioned, they have traveled and I personally have a lot of respect for that and appreciated watching them. Ever since, I have been a fan of Trinity and will root for them, except when they play DLS.

I have asked this previously but got no answer so I'll ask you. I know no games have been played but how do Trinity fans feel about their new coach? What is he doing different than the previous coach? Have the kids all bought in to what he is trying to do?
          I'm not the one to ask about Trinity. I'm a casual fan who tends to voice his opinion too much on certain issues.
          That being said, I think the kids at Trinity got who they wanted to lead their program. Their is a lot of familiarity with Jensen since he's been there since Lineweaver arrived and worked under Lineeaver at Commerce as well. There won't be much if any of a drop in how those kids respond or play on Friday nights. Jensen was a great OC for Trinity and he went out and hired a damn good OC in Brixley who is going to do incredible things with the talent he has to work with at Trinity.

Comment

• ray1301
            Special Teams
            • Aug 2015

I'm not the one to ask about Trinity. I'm a casual fan who tends to voice his opinion too much on certain issues.
            That being said, I think the kids at Trinity got who they wanted to lead their program. Their is a lot of familiarity with Jensen since he's been there since Lineweaver arrived and worked under Lineeaver at Commerce as well. There won't be much if any of a drop in how those kids respond or play on Friday nights. Jensen was a great OC for Trinity and he went out and hired a damn good OC in Brixley who is going to do incredible things with the talent he has to work with at Trinity.
            It will probably be similar in aspect to katy when Joseph took over for Johnston. Jensen help Lineweaver build the program/system so it will continue

Comment

• DLsSpartanz
              Practice Squad
              • Aug 2015

DLS was in this same boat just 2 seasons ago. The longtime understudy is now doing a fantastic job as the leader. I'd expect nothing less over at Trinity. The ground work of the program is unshakable. The Trojans won't miss a beat. IMHO.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                Special Teams
                • Apr 2015

going to be interesting to see what he shows in the scrimmage.

Comment

• Farmer
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by ray1301

It will probably be similar in aspect to katy when Joseph took over for Johnston. Jensen help Lineweaver build the program/system so it will continue
                  I think that is a great analogy. Time will tell the results Jensen gets but I don't see much of a drop with the departure of Coach Lineweaver but retaining the rest of the staff and adding somebody as good as Brixley is to call plays

Comment

• Farmer
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by chhspantherfan

going to be interesting to see what he shows in the scrimmage.
                    lol I'm thinking not much. Maybe a few dives and lead plays and then go 5 wide the rest of the scrimmage

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DLsSpartanz
                      DLS was in this same boat just 2 seasons ago. The longtime understudy is now doing a fantastic job as the leader. I'd expect nothing less over at Trinity. The ground work of the program is unshakable. The Trojans won't miss a beat. IMHO.
                      that's spot on. A similar situation happened at Celina, who is probably the greatest program in Texas over the last 20 years. After 2001 Celina lost the winningest coach in Texas history and his longtime OC Butch Ford took over and didn't miss a beat winning another 2 state titles and advancing to a total of 4 championship games after. There's something to be said about consistency and stability.

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                        Special Teams
                        • Jul 2015

Speaking as a non-football guy, I will miss Lineweaver's quirkiness, sense of humor and maybe the best heart of any adult I've ever known. As far as football goes, I don't expect they will miss a beat under Jensen.

Comment

• tonydelasalle151
                          Special Teams
                          • May 2015

almost sold out on de la salle s end on the tickets . the whole allen team will be attending the game .. does anyone know if the allen game on Friday night vs guyer will be on local tv or on one of the espn
                          networks ?

Comment

• Farmer
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

almost sold out on de la salle s end on the tickets . the whole allen team will be attending the game .. does anyone know if the allen game on Friday night vs guyer will be on local tv or on one of the espn
                            networks ?
                            it won't be on tv Friday night. Tape delay on the 29tb on Time Warner Sports network ch 323. I'm not sure if they will carry that Ch in hotel rooms though.

Comment

• sTp
                              1st Team
                              • Apr 2015

networks ?
                              If I understand the rule, the UIL (governing body) will not allow Friday games to be televised. I have no idea why..

Comment

• DPaul
                                Special Teams
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

If I understand the rule, the UIL (governing body) will not allow Friday games to be televised. I have no idea why..
                                Unless it's a sellout a couple hours before kickoff I think is the Friday night loophole....and not certain but both coaches have to agree too....could be getting that wrong but seems I've heard that before.

Comment

• sTp
                                  1st Team
                                  • Apr 2015

Unless it's a sellout a couple hours before kickoff I think is the Friday night loophole....and not certain but both coaches have to agree too....could be getting that wrong but seems I've heard that before.
                                  That's a new one on me, thanks for the info..

Comment

• Super B
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

​

The loophole is that the game must be sold out by the deadline (48 hours prior to kickoff) to be broadcast live, otherwise it can be tape delayed with a start time no earlier than one hour after the game ends.

You may recall back when Trinity played Coppell at Dragon, there was anticipation that the game would sell out early. It did sell out by Wednesday at 1930, so the game was broadcast by TXA-21. A live broadcast has been attempted several times since that game, but none of those potential live broadcast games were sold out by the deadline.

Example: http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...ve-given.html/
                                    Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Farmer,
                                      I have never seen proof that other states top teams played considerably more OOS games than Texas teams. DLS has played eleven, Trinity has played eight. That is not a substantial difference. Several top Texas teams have played OOS games. I don't know the specific number of games for other top teams, but I know DeSoto for example is not far behind Trinity. However the last few years has seen a significant increase in the number of OOS games involving top Texas teams. Unless you can tell me BTW, Bishop Gorman, SJB, DBP, CC, LBP, MNW, Hoover, Bellevue, John Curtis etc... has each played an average of more than one OOS game per season, then I don't think other states top teams has played SIGNIFICANTLY more OOS games than the top teams here in TX. I think it's more of a perception of national HSFB fans than reality. Also you gotta remember, Texas is very large. In the playoffs a DFW team may play a team from El Paso (600 miles/9 hours by bus) for example, so we do travel long distances on occasion.
                                      Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Jensen is Lineweaver's chosen successor. He was a young protege going back 20+ years. He was groomed for the job. So what farmer said is correct. Kids are buying in. No problem there at all. Jensen has stuck to a lot of the same principles and practices.

Most fans were on board from the get go. I was not. I have learned many things since that have changed my mind and I am now 100% on board and am happy for the hire.

Like you said, no games so far so we'll have to have several games under our belt to get a good feel. What he is doing differently? Hmm. Same answer. Need to see results. There have been a few subtle differences, but nothing really worth sharing. The changes in offensive philosophy will need to be seen before an evaluation can be made. I have heard all kinds of different things. Seeing it on the field will confirm if what I have been told is true. However what I have heard is very exciting.
                                        Super B

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sTp

This will be a Saturday night game. Do the same UIL rules apply?

Comment

• Super B
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Trojanbacker2

No. Live broadcasts are good to go any other day.
                                            Super B

Comment

• sTp
                                              1st Team
                                              • Apr 2015

Tony was asking about the Friday night Allen vs. Guyer game just to clarify.

Comment

• DPaul
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B

​

The loophole is that the game must be sold out by the deadline (48 hours prior to kickoff) to be broadcast live, otherwise it can be tape delayed with a start time no earlier than one hour after the game ends.

You may recall back when Trinity played Coppell at Dragon, there was anticipation that the game would sell out early. It did sell out by Wednesday at 1930, so the game was broadcast by TXA-21. A live broadcast has been attempted several times since that game, but none of those potential live broadcast games were sold out by the deadline.

Example: http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...ve-given.html/
                                                That's it.

2 days not 2 hours. I knew there was a "2" in there somewhere.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

RR I believe in the Austin area TWC is the major cable provider down there so you may be able to catch the tape delay of the Guyer and Allen gsme on Ch 323 on Saturday morning at 8 Am I believe

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                                                    Special Teams
                                                    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sTp

Sorry. Reading comprehension fail.

Comment

• Super B
                                                      All District
                                                      • Apr 2015

Last edited by Super B; 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM.
                                                      Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

I enjoyed that video. Very well done and very professional.

Comment

• sTp
                                                          1st Team
                                                          • Apr 2015

Sorry. Reading comprehension fail.
                                                          It's all good, no apology necessary..

Comment

• sTp
                                                            1st Team
                                                            • Apr 2015

RR I believe in the Austin area TWC is the major cable provider down there so you may be able to catch the tape delay of the Guyer and Allen gsme on Ch 323 on Saturday morning at 8 Am I believe
                                                            Thanks for the heads up! I'ma check my program schedule as soon as I get home.

I enjoyed that video. Very well done and very professional.
                                                            Agreed! I really like the drone cam..

Comment

• DLsSpartanz
                                                              Practice Squad
                                                              • Aug 2015

Good video! Well done. Trinity's got some big boys that's all I can say. Gonna be one physical game!

Comment

Working...