Why is Texas HS football the best HS football again?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Practice Squad
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by dada
    Culture and Passion is what separates Texas football from the rest of the country. Football to Texas is what Hockey is to Michigan and Minnesota, it's just in your DNA. I've brought several out of towners to Texas HS football games and they are expecting you show up 3 mins after kickoff, pay your $2 and sit amongst 2-300 people on a grass field in the back of the school......Here, we show up 2 hours early and sit amongst thousands. The Day's of the one HS towns are slowly going away, so enjoy them while you can.

When you go to a place like Crane for football there may only be 2 or 3 Thousand in the the Stands, but that is More people than Live in the Town. Case in point Last time I went to a McCamey Game (19 miles from Crane) McCamey had at least 4000 fans but only about 1800 live in McCamey

Comment

• slorch
      Practice Squad
      • Jul 2015

participation, from top to bottom and the level of coaching/ player development at the high school level set our football apart from other states.

by participation, i am also including student trainers, pom squads, cheerleaders, dance team, marching band, some jrotc( where applicable) a nd then we can start talking crowd size.

wanna compare how we roll on friday versus any other state? They ain't even close.

Comment

• pied
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
        Good point on message boards Bob. Texas has 6A boards, 5A boards, 4A boards, 3A boards, 2A boards, 1A boards, regional boards. District boards and team boards. Not so much outside of the generic Rivals board in other states.
        Have you or TexasBob ever checked out Yappi? Those guys in Ohio have anything we ever had on TexasHSFootball.com or the old site beat by a considerable margin. It's the off season and their football board only goes back to Sunday for active topics on their first page. I'm the first guy to post on this thread in four days and it's near the top.

I pretty much echo a lot. I think we have most beat on depth of teams, and atmosphere but get ourselves into trouble by portraying every stadium packed every Friday night. That is simply not the case. A lot are, but there are plenty out there with a good amount of legroom or practically empty outside the band/drill team.

Comment

• dada
          2nd Team
          • Apr 2015

Question.....I may be way off. But is it easier to transfer to an Allen of Chill because they are the only HS's in the district? I know the DEC/UIL will usually side with coaches. For instance, there has been more than one transfer to Katy where coaches from Taylor, or Cinco Ranch didnt like so the DEC ruled against the transfer, one of them TOTALLY legit. Is it easier to transfer when you don't have district mates to contest it?

Comment

• MGoBlue
            Practice Squad
            • May 2015

I agree with everything Slorch said. But I also think the age of the average high school football player from Texas is a factor as well. These kids seems to be a older than most kids in high school. It's not uncommon to have the a lot of athletes graduate at 19 or to even have some hit 20 before college ball begins.

Comment

• BevoBo
              Special Teams
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MGoBlue
              I agree with everything Slorch said. But I also think the age of the average high school football player from Texas is a factor as well. These kids seems to be a older than most kids in high school. It's not uncommon to have the a lot of athletes graduate at 19 or to even have some hit 20 before college ball begins.
              Not sure I'm buying the 19 to 20yr old football players as common in Texas. Is this just a guess or your experience?

Comment

• Eagle2
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

Not sure I'm buying the 19 to 20yr old football players as common in Texas. Is this just a guess or your experience?
                hmm..........same here. The majority upon graduation are 17-18 yrs old.

Comment

• Comanche
                  Practice Squad
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MGoBlue
                  19 - 20, no way!

Comment

• Farmer
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by pied

Have you or TexasBob ever checked out Yappi? Those guys in Ohio have anything we ever had on TexasHSFootball.com or the old site beat by a considerable margin. It's the off season and their football board only goes back to Sunday for active topics on their first page. I'm the first guy to post on this thread in four days and it's near the top.

I pretty much echo a lot. I think we have most beat on depth of teams, and atmosphere but get ourselves into trouble by portraying every stadium packed every Friday night. That is simply not the case. A lot are, but there are plenty out there with a good amount of legroom or practically empty outside the band/drill team.

that's kind of what I'm thinking too pied! For every Allen that is in Texas there are 50 Lewisvilles where attendance is terrible and not filling up an average 8 to 10,000 seat stadium. In fact in district 8 the only 2 teams who fill up a home stadium are Marcus and Allen but of those 2 only Allen fills up a visitor stadium as well and that is helped in large part of being a one town team.

Comment

Working...