Why is Texas HS football the best HS football again?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Why is Texas HS football the best HS football again?

It's the age old question. I have to ask though, why is it that we claim to be the best again?

We used to say we were the most pure of the states because we don't recruit in Texas but it seems we have found a way around that.

I also hear that we have community support and in places like Allen and Ennis that is the truth, but how many one school towns do we really have that show up in groves?

I would be curious to hear the thoughts on why exactly we are the best in Texas.
  • sTp
    1st Team
    • Apr 2015

I used to think we were different.. now, not so much..

And while I would expect most programs would do the honorable thing and not bend rules or find loopholes, I largely blame the UIL for not being consistent in enforcing the rules that are already on the books.

Comment

• TrojanHorse03
      Special Teams
      • Apr 2015

We're not. You could always make the case California(more nfl players) and Florida(more nfl players, oos wins, better college football sucess) and other states produce more college/nfl players per capita. Nobody's perfect. Only a naively, unaware, sheltered, and biased person would ever think it was some proven fact that the friday nights of Texas was the end all-be all because who shows for support. Or cheerleades. Or the band. They're still laughing in South Florida. Just be thankful for what you got while calling for change to the uil.
      Last edited by TrojanHorse03; 07-14-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• MGoBlue
        Practice Squad
        • May 2015

I have lived all over the country and in the big three: Texas, California, and Florida. Texas football is the biggest joke when it comes to high school athletics and recruiting. The UIL has absolutely no repercussions if a kid transfers for athletic reasons and nobody seems to care as long as Texas is king of high school football.

Bloom where you are planted....not in Texas

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Texas is still far and away the most passionate state overall when it come to HS football. No other state comes close.
          Super B

Comment

• Farmer
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
            Texas is still far and away the most passionate state overall when it come to HS football. No other state comes close.

I like your use of the word passionate and I think that's an accurate way of describing things here but how can you say no other state comes close? There are a lot of towns in states like Louisiana and Mississippi that are very passionate about their teams as well

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
              Special Teams
              • Apr 2015

Which state(s) is/are better?

There are states with more talent. Florida for sure, California maybe, states like Georgia per capita. Texas is top 3 just about every year though, so it's an insignficant factor in the big picture (IMO).

There are states with as much community support/emphasis in certain places - Ohio, California, Louisiana... but not as widespread across an entire state like here I don't think.

There are states with good coaching - pretty sure, though, I wouldn't take any state's collective HS football coaching community over ours.

There are communities with a lot of money - I don't think any of them have had the statewide run of communities throwing their $ at football like we saw in Plano, Odessa, Southlake and now are seeing in Allen, McKinney, Katy, Cypress, etc.

There are states with tradition - Ohio loves their HS football as much as us in places and have for a long, long time.

Are there states with more "pure" High school football teams (i.e. not regional all star teams?) Probably in the states where football isn't a big deal. We're obviously losing traction here, unfortunately, and Cedar Hill and Allen seem to be leading the way which is a big time bummer. Frankly, I'm amazed that in a state that's this fanatical about HS football it took this long for it to start happening at the level that Allen and Cedar Hill seem to be taking it. It's not IMG, St Aquinas, Bosco, Miramar level yet but it's trending the wrong direction and in a big hurry.

There are states that bring a lot of fans to big games fairly consistently - but not as consistently as Texas or in quite the same numbers. Ohio brings a lot, Louisiana can bring a lot (Evangel/West Monroe games in the Superdome looked awesome), Florida used to have massive crowds for the Soul Bowl, but these are/were generally one-off events or once-a-year events. Texas brings it annually, and weekly in the DFW area playoffs.

Whatever the argument is, when you look at it in total, I'll take the Texas HS football product over any other state's HS football setup and for me, personally, it's not close.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                Special Teams
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MGoBlue
                I have lived all over the country and in the big three: Texas, California, and Florida. Texas football is the biggest joke when it comes to high school athletics and recruiting. The UIL has absolutely no repercussions if a kid transfers for athletic reasons and nobody seems to care as long as Texas is king of high school football.

Bloom where you are planted....not in Texas
                I'm sorry, you must not have lived in South Florida, or didn't pay attention if you were. St Aquinas annually, prime-era Miami NW, Miramar under Cogdell, IMG currently (not SoFla), Miami Killian in the mid-2000s under Billy Rolle, BTW/Central now, etc. 3-4 big name transfers like Cedar Hill has had this offseason is nothing at places like this. It's expected annually.

Now.... we're certainly heading the wrong direction. That's not up for debate. Very disturbing what's happened in Allen and Cedar Hill recently. There's a significant bump from having 1-2 big time kids transfer in every 3-4 years (which has been a staple at every HS "power" since long before I was born) to where you are seeing programs reload with mercenaries at need positions every spring like we're starting to see.

Comment

• Farmer
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

I'm sorry, you must not have lived in South Florida, or didn't pay attention if you were. St Aquinas annually, prime-era Miami NW, Miramar under Cogdell, IMG currently (not SoFla), Miami Killian in the mid-2000s under Billy Rolle, BTW/Central now, etc. 3-4 big name transfers like Cedar Hill has had this offseason is nothing at places like this. It's expected annually.

Now.... we're certainly heading the wrong direction. That's not up for debate. Very disturbing what's happened in Allen and Cedar Hill recently. There's a significant bump from having 1-2 big time kids transfer in every 3-4 years (which has been a staple at every HS "power" since long before I was born) to where you are seeing programs reload at need positions every spring like we're starting to see.

oak,

i I always enjoy reading your stuff. You bring a lot to discussions and are always fair. Thanks for posting what you did and I really can't see anything you posted to argue with.

Hope your family is doing well and I know you have to love being back in Texas

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

You know it, very glad to be back.

Comment

• Super B
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

I like your use of the word passionate and I think that's an accurate way of describing things here but how can you say no other state comes close? There are a lot of towns in states like Louisiana and Mississippi that are very passionate about their teams as well
                      II agree. However it is much more widespread here. Whereas elsewhere you will find passion for their local teams, here it goes beyond Friday nights. Small towns here have radio broadcasts, coaches shows and much of the town will show up on Friday nights. Elsewhere it can be hit and miss as far as some towns are like that and some are not.
                      Super B

Comment

• dada
                        2nd Team
                        • Apr 2015

Culture and Passion is what separates Texas football from the rest of the country. Football to Texas is what Hockey is to Michigan and Minnesota, it's just in your DNA. I've brought several out of towners to Texas HS football games and they are expecting you show up 3 mins after kickoff, pay your $2 and sit amongst 2-300 people on a grass field in the back of the school......Here, we show up 2 hours early and sit amongst thousands. The Day's of the one HS towns are slowly going away, so enjoy them while you can.

Comment

• Bobcats17
                          Practice Squad
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                          Passionate is a good word. I believe that is so true. My example.....

Major props to the G.A.T.A. nation. In our playoff game with them last year, they dang near filled up their side of Rice Stadium. As you drove in the parking lots, it was as if they were tailgating with the whole town. They are a major example of passion whereas other states cannot even come close.

Met a guy from NJ at an Ivy League football camp this summer. He talked about how their Varsity games were played in a grass field, with lawn chairs and about 100-150 people in attendance. I showed him a picture of the Berry Center and told him how our team plays in front of at least 5-7k per week. He was flabbergasted.

Comment

• sTp
                            1st Team
                            • Apr 2015

I would think from a spectacle, pomp and circumstance standpoint.. Texas wins hands down.. I may be off here but I think the crowds, bands, drill teams, cheer squads, and all the other hoopla are just bigger and more into it here. Not better than other areas, just more of it..

However, from the OP standpoint.. we are no different from many other states now that so many transfers are going on, which I think was the original intent of the thread..

Comment

• ktCarl
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

It's the best because I am here and get to watch the games.

Comment

• SBBear
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

I think for the most part Texas is the best or at least in the top 3 across the country, there can be arguments back and forth about college and NFL talent ect as a determining factor, but the biggest reason is the community and fan support of HS Football. A lot of this stems from many of the established schools at the 6A level were small towns to begin with Katy, Allen, Cy Fair, SLC, ect.... and Friday nights were a thing to look forward to all week, much like they are now in 2A, 3A, ect, there is already established tradition and built in rooting interest. When I watch other states football games on ESPN it doesn't appear to be nearly as much support as there is at a typical Texas game, a crowd may look big on TV but in reality they are playing at a 3K size stadium, some of the Miami area games especially. As far as actual play on the field I would venture that our best can compete with others best all day any day and the debate can continue!

Comment

• mojotrain
                                  2nd Team
                                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by dada
                                  Culture and Passion is what separates Texas football from the rest of the country. Football to Texas is what Hockey is to Michigan and Minnesota, it's just in your DNA. I've brought several out of towners to Texas HS football games and they are expecting you show up 3 mins after kickoff, pay your $2 and sit amongst 2-300 people on a grass field in the back of the school......Here, we show up 2 hours early and sit amongst thousands. The Day's of the one HS towns are slowly going away, so enjoy them while you can.
                                  I think the Kermit's, Snyder's, Borger's and Crane's of Texas will be filling stadiums on Friday nights in the West long after the inner city teams games are played on weekday's at lunch time in front of dozens.

Comment

• TexasBob
                                    Hall of Fame
                                    • May 2015

I don't measure a states HS school football by pro players or D1 recruits but by the pure mass of community support. The number of participants and fans outnumber every other state on a per capita basis. The enthusiasm of the fans can't be match in the numbers we have in Texas. How do I know this? When I started gathering data for Texas Football stadiums in October of 2004 I had about 160 stadiums listed by the end of the season by the beginning the next season I had over 1000 stadiums listed. How did I do this? I didn't do it, the fans did it by sending me information and photos of their stadiums. I thought this is great. I'll start a national stadium database ( http://StadiumConnection.com ). First I found at least one stadium in each state. Then I joined and emailed booster clubs and joined discussion (when I could find them) all over the U.S. After 8 years many states still have one stadium listed. The Big football states like California and Florida have 13 and 12 stadiums respectively. Because some individual fans Ohio has 120 listed and Michigan has 49 listed. Kansas has a fair number. What i learned is the fan base in the other 49 states just don't have the enthusiasm to support discussion boards like this one and stadium databases.

There are big high school football fans in all 50 states but not nearly as many as in Texas. Texas has a large population but not the largest, however we do have 1188 stadiums listed in my database. (including college and pro.)

Comment

• mojotrain
                                      2nd Team
                                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by TexasBob
                                      I don't measure a states HS school football by pro players or D1 recruits but by the pure mass of community support. The number of participants and fans outnumber every other state on a per capita basis. The enthusiasm of the fans can't be match in the numbers we have in Texas. How do I know this? When I started gathering data for Texas Football stadiums in October of 2004 I had about 160 stadiums listed by the end of the season by the beginning the next season I had over 1000 stadiums listed. How did I do this? I didn't do it, the fans did it by sending me information and photos of their stadiums. I thought this is great. I'll start a national stadium database ( http://StadiumConnection.com ). First I found at least one stadium in each state. Then I joined and emailed booster clubs and joined discussion (when I could find them) all over the U.S. After 8 years many states still have one stadium listed. The Big football states like California and Florida have 13 and 12 stadiums respectively. Because some individual fans Ohio has 120 listed and Michigan has 49 listed. Kansas has a fair number. What i learned is the fan base in the other 49 states just don't have the enthusiasm to support discussion boards like this one and stadium databases.

There are big high school football fans in all 50 states but not nearly as many as in Texas. Texas has a large population but not the largest, however we do have 1188 stadiums listed in my database. (including college and pro.)
                                      This!

Comment

• Eagle2
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Wow!!!!!Great info TB and thankful for your insight. Also feel its school and community support and nothing like Friday nights in Texas. As always keep up your outstanding work and keep em coming.

Comment

• SLCbacker
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Apr 2015

Very well stated Bob! It is definitely TXHSFB connection with their communities that makes it different from other states. It's about kids growing up in a community together and aspiring to play on the field on friday nights. It is not about kids moving in to apartments for 6 months to play for a certain team....Sorry Allen.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLCbacker

Very well stated Bob! It is definitely TXHSFB connection with their communities that makes it different from other states. It's about kids growing up in a community together and aspiring to play on the field on friday nights. It is not about kids moving in to apartments for 6 months to play for a certain team....Sorry Allen.
                                            +1. Kids first and foremost.

Comment

• Super B
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Good point on message boards Bob. Texas has 6A boards, 5A boards, 4A boards, 3A boards, 2A boards, 1A boards, regional boards. District boards and team boards. Not so much outside of the generic Rivals board in other states.
                                              Super B

Comment

• Comanche
                                                Practice Squad
                                                • Apr 2015

Now.... we're certainly heading the wrong direction. That's not up for debate. Very disturbing what's happened in Allen and Cedar Hill recently. There's a significant bump from having 1-2 big time kids transfer in every 3-4 years (which has been a staple at every HS "power" since long before I was born) to where you are seeing programs reload with mercenaries at need positions every spring like we're starting to see.
                                                Good stuff right there!

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Michael Johnson Jr. @michaeljr_tka1

California high school football is cool, but I wish I could play high school football in Texas. It's more than just a game to them🏾🏾
                                                  8:34 PM - 6 Jul 2015
                                                  http://usatodayhss.com/2015/californ...tball-in-texas

Comment

• svhorns
                                                    All State
                                                    • Apr 2015

Florida kids seem to transfer on a yearly bases, so much so that kids have trouble getting qualified by the NCAA clearinghouse. Devonaire Clarington, a highly touted TE from Miami who committed to Texas attended Westminster Christian, Booker T Washington, Champagnat Catholic, and I believe Homestead High School. His transcript is a mess and the NCAA has to make sure he has all the proper credits. If he isn't cleared by the NCAA, he'll have to attend a prep academy or a JUCO to get his credits in order.

Comment

• JagFan
                                                      1st Team
                                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLCbacker

To bad that is going away when the good kids move around and it all becomes how much money Nike can give for the State Championship games and how much advertising they can slap on the kids over their teams names and colors.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • Apr 2015

Just read something that really didn't sit well and made me think of this thread.

"I've really been wanting to win a state championship and I think Cedar Hill will win again this year because we have more good players that have transferred there." - Speedy Green

It really feels like this thing is going over the cliff.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

Just read something that really didn't sit well and made me think of this thread.

"I've really been wanting to win a state championship and I think Cedar Hill will win again this year because we have more good players that have transferred there." - Speedy Green

It really feels like this thing is going over the cliff.

it pains me to see this but it's tough to disagree with you. Programs like Cedar Hill and Allen and others are becoming a joke and ruining the game

Comment

• svhorns
                                                            All State
                                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

it pains me to see this but it's tough to disagree with you. Programs like Cedar Hill and Allen and others are becoming a joke and ruining the game
                                                            I think what bothers me the most are the fans who use the DEC as a safety net when discussing these matters. "WELL IF THE DEC APPROVES IT THEN ITS A LEGIT TRANSFER." Yeah buddy, sure is. I passed calculus cheating on a couple tests but since my diploma is in hand that means it's legit.

Comment

Working...