X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle2
    All District
    • Apr 2015

2015-16 State Basketball Tournament: Alamodome San Antonio

Looks like San Antonio is the winner for the State Basketball Tournament. This will get some getting use to having been spoiled with Austin for so many many long years. Its just something about Austin that's appealing whether Franklins BBQ or sixth street, or the east side that makes Austin fun and enjoyable. Not to mention the folks that you run across on the scene and at all the different hotels. The river walk thus far is less appealing not to mention the extra hours of driving where as Austin did seem like a midway point for all parties. Oh well.

San Antonio’s Alamodome will be the venue for the University Interscholastic League’s boys and girls state basketball tournaments for 2016 and 2017, according to a press release from the UIL on Thursday.

“The Alamodome was extremely hospitable and helpful during the planning phases and as the host of the UIL Basketball Tournaments this year,” said UIL Executive Director Charles Breithaupt in the press release. “We look forward to improving upon the excellent tournaments and providing a convenient, first class event at the San Antonio Alamodome.”
    Crowds for this year’s tournaments – the Alamodome’s debut as a UIL basketball site – were mixed. Attendance for the boys tournament was 84,794, an increase from 79,688 in 2014 at Austin’s Frank Erwin Center, the host for the previous 37 years. The girls tournament, however, showed a drop in attendance by nearly 20 percent (from 43,189 to 34,642) — although that can likely be attributed to winter storms in north and central Texas that made travel difficult that weekend.
    Source: Dallas Morning News

• Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

I'm not a fan of playing basketball in domes. It seems to really impact shooting in the college game and I'm sure the same for the HS game. I've seen numbers from the NCAA tournament to where teams who played in an arena in the first weekend of the tournament who had to play in a dome in the 2nd have seen some significant drops in shooting percentage.

Comment

Working...