• Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Abilene High Eagles

State Champs x 7!
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

ABILENE, Texas - Two-a-days kick off in two weeks for Abilene High. As the Eagles get set to head into fall camp, head coach Del Van Cox has named junior Peyton Killam their starting quarterback.

Killam beat out Jakson Talley for the starting role. The rising junior made a big statement in the Eagles' spring game and led Abilene High to the state 7on7 tournament.

Talley will make the move to wide receiver and take over the team's kicking duties, as well as fill in as the back-up for Killam.

"[Killam's] done a great job just working out and being up here and a leader amongst the guys," Coach Cox said. "7on7 has been great for him as far as managing the offense and not having to make plays all the time, but just making sure that we're managing what we do."

"He learned a lot of the offense and the reads, multiple reps during that 7on7, so he had a great summer and I'm ready to see what he's gonna do," Cox added.

Comment

• tinman
      Practice Squad
      • Jul 2015

I think the key as coach Cox mentioned is reps. Building confidence, composure, and game experience are 3 key elements that reps will Peyton to gain. As game by game passes Peyton will emerge as another out standing field general for AHS.

Comment

• Eagle82
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Probably a little too late for AISD. With the new ACU stadium going up, Shotwell will more than likely lose what playoff games they hadn't already lost to Wylie.

ABILENE, Texas - Shotwell Stadium will get a nearly $700,000 facelift if the Abilene ISD board of trustees approves a resolution committing a portion of its annual “fund balance” to the stadium.

The proposal was one of several items on the agenda at the board’s agenda review meeting Monday at One AISD Center, 241 Pine St.

The fund balance resolution does not specify improvements that can be made, but Dr. Barry Hoefer, AISD board vice president, said there are definitely some things that need work at Shotwell.

“The long-range plan for Shotwell — after we purchased the turf field — included annual repairs to the field, so that will need to be one of the priorities,” Hoefer said. “In addition, we all know the press box out there needs work, so that will be something else considered as they decide how to use those funds.”

The fund balance resolution also includes commitment of nearly $823,000 for construction purposes.

Other agenda items included a proposal from Joe Humphrey, AISD’s construction coordinator, for a $5.1 million project for additions and renovations at Lee Elementary School. The proposal would add 15 classrooms and renovate the existing kitchen and cafeteria, in addition to several other smaller projects. If approved, work could begin immediately, and the project would be completed in July 2016.

Humphrey also fielded questions about a proposed $200,000 project that would repair remaining storm damage at Ortiz and Martinez Elementary schools, which if approved, could be completed by the end of September.

In other business, the board heard from Kari Leong, director of student services for AISD, who briefed the members on changes to the final draft of the 2015-16 student code of conduct. Of note, Leong said, is the designation of a campus behavior coordinator at each of the schools. This is required as Texas Senate Bill 107 mandates designation of the position.

“The principal, or someone designated by him or her, currently serves as the CBC at all of our campuses, so we are not adding any staff,” Leong said. “SB 107 mandated that we use the title “CBC” to identify the person ‘primarily responsible for maintaining student discipline.’ That change also had to be made throughout the code of conduct document.”

Proposals from the meeting will meet final board scrutiny and receive approval — or disapproval — at the district’s regular board meeting set for 5:30 p.m. Aug. 10.

Comment

• mike03car
          Special Teams
          • Aug 2015

I vote that both Black and Gold football teams with Six Titles get their Stairway to Seven this year. AHS Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers!

edit: yup. It's late. I'm tired. AHS has seven. Fine....I vote eight!
          Last edited by mike03car; 08-04-2015, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• mike03car
            Special Teams
            • Aug 2015

Is the new offensive coordinator an in-staff promote-ee and, if so, that about that vacated position slot?

Comment

• tinman
              Practice Squad
              • Jul 2015

Del Van Cox was off.coordinator now the head coach coach Lewis & coach Martinez will share as O coordniators

Comment

• Eagledad
                Special Teams
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tinman
                Del Van Cox was off.coordinator now the head coach coach Lewis & coach Martinez will share as O coordniators
                I really liked the play calling in the Spring Game! We were not predictable as we have been in the past and I saw several new wrinkles that will improve on a good base of plays. In some ways I would say we were more aggressive.

Comment

• Eagle82
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Del Van Cox era opens as Abilene High kicks-off 2015 season

ABILENE, TX - The time has finally come for Abilene High football to begin the 2015 fall season.

Monday morning, KTXS was up bright and early, headed to Eagles practice, where head coach Del Van Cox officially kicked off his first day at the helm of Eagle Football, and his team's quest for success.

"I slept a little bit yes," said Cox during the team's opening practice Monday. "Two-a-days, there's not too many coaches that sleep. I mean, everybody is awake early and ready to go because it's an exciting time of year."

"I'm ready to go you know," added running back Abram Smith who is returning from a week 7 knee injury last season. "It's fun out here and it's fun to be back out here. I enjoy playing with the boys and practicing with them, so I'm really excited for this."

Newly-crowned quarterback Peyton Killam said it's not about the big picture this early, but progressing as a team.

"We're just going to take it one day at a time, get better everyday, and do the little things right. I can't wait until that first game," said Killam.

Ronnell Wilson, who is the core of the Eagles defense this season, knows that like every year, this team is motivated to prove the doubter's wrong.

"You know, Abilene High is never respected," explained Wilson. "This little west district 3-6A is never respected. And us, we always come and get picked against Arlington schools and expected to get blown out, but you know, we don't care. We just come out and play football."

He also pointed out the shirts the team wore at practice, with the letters 'BTW' on the front.

"Bring the wood," said Wilson. "You know on the varsity level, you can't just play physical, you've got to be smart, and you know, just have got to hit people everyday. Anything that moves, hit it."

Overall, this group is hungry to get 2015 going.

"We've got to get our legs back underneath us into playing shape and get our offenses and defenses schemes back where they need to be and get ready to go," said coach Cox.

AHS opens up the year at Colleyville Herritage on August 28th.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

ABILENE, Texas - With nearly 40 seniors on the roster, including seven who are returning starters, the Abilene High Eagles have plenty of players to share the leadership load within the team.

“The seniors have to lead by example with their work ethic,” first-year AHS coach Del Van Cox said. “If they get satisfied with where they’re at, then we’re through getting better as a team. The really good teams we’ve had over the years have gotten better every practice and find something to get better at every practice.

“That’s what we challenged them to do (Monday). Just because you’re a senior, you haven’t made it. You’ve got to keep getting better so this team can go to its maximum potential.”

Senior linebacker Ronnell Wilson, the Eagles’ leading tackler each of the past two seasons, said the key is accountability among the players.

“As a senior class, we’re trying to hold everybody accountable,” he said. “If they mess up, you tell them. If we mess up, they tell us. We want to have that much feedback from each other. If we’re on the same level and they’re on the same level, we can work great.”

The Eagles opened preseason practice Monday morning with more than 200 varsity, JV and freshman players taking the field. Teams are limited to noncontact work for the first four days before being allowed to don pads on Friday.

“We just want to work on getting back in shape a little bit and getting our legs back underneath us, just getting back together and working on our plays,” Cox said. “A lot of this week is just conditioning and getting back in the groove, reminding us of the little things we did back during the spring and getting some of the bad habits from 7-on-7 out — getting out of the 7-on-7 mode and back in the football mode.

“It’s going to be good to hear the pads pop on Friday. I’m ready to go for that for sure because then it’ll be football.”

Senior offensive lineman Dawson Worgull said the goal the next few days is to sharpen things up before beginning contact work.

“We’ve just got to fix the little mistakes like dropping balls,” he said. “You’ve got to get out there and have the best effort and by Friday have no mistakes, just get out there and play our best as a team and then improve on that.”

Worgull, one of two returning starters on the offensive line, said the seniors take their leadership role seriously.

“A lot of weight’s put on us to carry this team because it is our team,” he said. “We have to set a pace off what they did last year and improve and not take a step back like they did two years ago.”

Wilson said it’s a two-way street as far as leadership goes.

“I still have guys that I look up to and that I ask questions because sometimes even I don’t understand,” he said. “But the younger guys coming up, I just tell them that it’s just a football game. You don’t have to get nervous or anything stepping on the field. It’s just football. Just play.

“I know I’m not always the most level-headed player, so I find help from someone like (safety) McKendrie Morrison or (outside linebacker) Hill Holloway. They’ll tell me to calm down and I’ll regain myself. They’ll help me. We try to put that on different levels for the younger players.”

Cox said being able to distribute the load among so many players should help the Eagles over the course of the season.

“It’s definitely a blessing to have all these guys back as long as they keep working and make themselves better,” he said. “We never have been a team where we’re so focused on one guy. This is the ultimate team sport and it takes all of us. Abram (Smith) and Immanuel (Brown) can’t run without the linemen and we can’t throw without the linemen. We can’t get the ball back without a great defense. This is all of us working together.”

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                      Special Teams
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by tinman
                      How will that work with "Co-Coordinators" ? Seems like there ought to be one guy that calls the plays... Also, I wonder how often DVC will over-ride what is sent in....probably not very often unless it's a "game on the line" type situation.

Comment

• Eagledad
                        Special Teams
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

How will that work with "Co-Coordinators" ? Seems like there ought to be one guy that calls the plays... Also, I wonder how often DVC will over-ride what is sent in....probably not very often unless it's a "game on the line" type situation.

Not sure how it will work but I know I liked what I saw in the Spring game................very diverse play calling!

Comment

• warbirds141
                          Practice Squad
                          • Aug 2015

Comment

• Abilenefan
                            Special Teams
                            • Apr 2015

Ktxs did a preview show which is pretty good entertainment until the real deal starts:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Abilenefan
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

Newspaper and reports from the scrimmage sound encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Eagle82
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

Booster Club Monday's beginning August 24th.

12 Noon @ Golden Corral

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                  Special Teams
                                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                                  Booster Club Monday's beginning August 24th.

12 Noon @ Golden Corral
                                  Mike needs to start putting that on the Booster Club FB page....nothing on it when I was trying to confirm yesterday

Comment

• Shady12
                                    2nd Team
                                    • Apr 2015

Dang y'all have your meetings at the fancy places that have sneeze guards.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
                                      Dang y'all have your meetings at the fancy places that have sneeze guards.
                                      Man, it's great, $10 for all you can eat. I may end up staying there the whole darn day!

Thanks to the owner, whose son plays freshman ball!

Comment

• Shady12
                                        2nd Team
                                        • Apr 2015

$10 for us too but it's at Zentner's Daughter. :'(

Comment

• Eagle82
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Well you got us beat on that one!

Comment

• mike03car
                                            Special Teams
                                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

Mike needs to start putting that on the Booster Club FB page....nothing on it when I was trying to confirm yesterday
                                            I've been busy and didn't post until 45-60 minutes beforehand. But my weekend was an awesome fun busy. I learned of the luncheon shortly before the weekend. Feel free to send me a personal message on facebook asking for information. Happy to see you're checking out the facebook page, and I'm glad members in the luncheon Monday noticed as well. Don't need the compliments, but I certainly welcome the warm fuzzies.
                                            Last edited by mike03car; 08-26-2015, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• mike03car
                                              Special Teams
                                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Man, it's great, $10 for all you can eat. I may end up staying there the whole darn day!

Thanks to the owner, whose son plays freshman ball!
                                              I didn't hear know what sport his son's involved, as I didn't hear anyone say at the meeting, but I presumed football.
                                              Last edited by mike03car; 08-26-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• mike03car
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Aug 2015

But all you can eat buffet of many different choices?

Comment

• Shady12
                                                  2nd Team
                                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                                                  But all you can eat buffet of many different choices?
                                                  Buffets are gross. Thirty people breathed all over your bread pudding. Enjoy.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                    All District
                                                    • Apr 2015

ZD above all else as far as this guy is concerned!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                                      Special Teams
                                                      • May 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                                                      I've been busy and didn't post until 45-60 minutes beforehand. But my weekend was an awesome fun busy. I learned of the luncheon shortly before the weekend. Feel free to send me a personal message on facebook asking for information. Happy to see you're checking out the facebook page, and I'm glad members in the luncheon Monday noticed as well. Don't need the compliments, but I certainly welcome the warm fuzzies.
                                                      Will do...The FB page is a great outlet to get information out there. Thanks for doing it.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • May 2015

Not a fan of buffets either....Zentners would work though !!!

Comment

• mike03car
                                                          Special Teams
                                                          • Aug 2015

You have not been to good ones, it seems, but you still win with Zentner's.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                            All District
                                                            • Apr 2015

Coach Cox Radio Show has been moved.

They have moved the radio show to sports radio station 98.1. They are moving it to live show at 9AM on Wednesdays

Comment

Working...