• Show
Clear All
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

DLsSpartanz: A California HSFB fans perspective

I pulled this off the National Board.

Originally posted by DLsSpartanz
    * Allen is good...potentially really really good. Like MNC good. Eagle Stadium is ridiculous. Would love to see them play Trinity.
    *Trinity is really good also. I knew they'd be good, but I think I underestimated them a bit. See above.
    *Arlington-Martin looked good. Good size and athletes. I think that they are good despite Desoto apparently not quite being themselves this season.
    *Guyer reminded me of Servite. Some decent size and athletes, but no depth. Good athletic QB...needs some experience though.
    *Desoto was a big letdown to be honest. Not to take away what A-M did. I think they're good.

I have a LOT more to say about my trip. I'll write it up tomorrow. I had a FANTASTIC time. Worth every penny and my time! Very glad that I went.
    Super B
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

And another.
    Originally posted by DLsSpartanz
    Hello gents.

Ok. I finally had time to update my trip to TeHAAS. It was a fun and very fulfilling trip. It was everything that I could've hoped for...except a Spartan win, of course. :angry:
    But that aside, it was memorable to say the least.

First and foremost. The fans, as a whole, are like no other that personally ever experienced. I've been to Florida, Jersey, and SoCal(among other places). And with all due respect, it's not even close. The legendary Texas High School Football fan base is no joke, and football being a "religion" in TX is an accurate description. I'll spare you all of the details, but just know that...it is!

Props to all of the Texas fans that made the De La Salle Spartans and their fans feel right at home. Special thanks to SuperB, Bevebo, Firefox, your spouses and families, that made the BBQ a complete hit with the DLS faithful. The food was outstanding and so was the company. We tried to help pay for the meals, and were informed by the Trinity fans that it was taken care of! I can't say enough, gents. I know that we'll all go back, we'll all mention to the DLS powers that be as to how we were treated while there in Texas. I hope that will somehow encourage a rematch with Trinity or another Texas school one day. I'd like to see Texas come to California, but ya know what, even though the Spartans lost that game...what an experience for the kids!! Most of them will never play in front of a crowd like that ever again(not even in the SBG if they should make it. I'd go back there to see DLS play again. They need to set something up at Eagle Stadium! That would be a treat for them

I unfortunately didn't get to meet THC or DD, but I talked to them on the phone. Extensively with DD. We were suppose to meet at the game, and my phone died shortly after the game started. That's why I stopped posting. I couldn't find him because of that as well. THC and DD both have the same name(fun fact), and are both cool dudes. Bummer that I couldn't actually meet either one.

1AllenFan's video...THAT video is exactly what I saw and experienced. I sat in the 5th row, 2nd deck, 50 yard line. I only wish they'd have the actual crowd noise in the video. I've never heard anything like it at a HSFB game. When I arrived at the stadium, I was like...really?! Eagle Stadium is ridiculous, boys. You saw it for yourselves. Being there was on a whole different level. And when the skydivers came into the stadium, I knew I was in for something special. 20k(maybe more) packed into that place for a normal Friday night game. Not a playoff game, a normal Friday night game. It is THE thing to do in Allen on Fridays. Families upon families tailgating and just having fun. No drunk people being stupid, just...fun. Many people didn't even have kids in the game or even related to the school other than it's in Allen, TX. Every fan had either a Allen shirt/hat etc on or a Guyer....and then of course me in DLS gear :P. Everyone I talked to was extremely nice and very hospitable. Once I told people I was from California here for this game and the DLS/Trinity game, my money wasn't good anymore(again). Despite a mild reputation for being arrogant, I experienced none whatsoever. I expected to hear that "your little California football is cute and all, but this is Texas!" None of that. Nothing but respect. I appreciated that.

Allen killed Guyer. Guyer looked a lot like Servite to me. Had some good size, a few athletes, a very athletic QB that has to work on his throwing part, but no depth. Allen just wore them down. Allen is going to be really good this season. Their DL is huge, and the whole defense can run. Other than one long run by Robinson, Allen's D harangued him all night and was in the backfield all night. Their offense might be just as good as last season. This might spell disaster for everyone else. They are definitely a MNC caliber team.

The bands, traditions, and fight songs etc. of these schools would rival many D1 colleges. Allen's band had 777 members.

Desoto disappointed. Arlington-Martin may prove to be legit.

So. DLS vs. Trinity. What more can be said...the threads have been long and entertaining. At the game, I went from elated to concerned to elated to depressed to elated to mad to almost elated/died...then acceptance of the final outcome. I'll just say the better team on that night won the ballgame. And I'm so glad to have been part of it. Both teams will wish they did a few things differently/better after looking at film. They were so evenly matched in a lot of ways. Obviously, DLS was a little more explosive, but Trinity is no joke at the big boy positions and just pounded the rock. I was sitting pretty close to the field and the hits were many and hard. Stats were almost identical. Great job by both teams. Clean game. I'm sure that everyone involved walked away respecting each other...players and fans alike.

Speaking of everyone. Sitting across from the Trinity side was a sight to behold under the lights. It was sooooooooo loud. Especially if Trinity scored or it was 3rd or 4th down for DLS. This is the first time in a long time that I was concerned about DLS's snapcounts. They did alright. Did well with the rolling starts also...or lack of I should say. But the fans were on it the whole game. VERY impressed. Like I said, felt more like a D1 college atmosphere.

Here's what I took away:

*Texas is no joke for HSFB. I'll go out on a limb and say it's the best atmosphere with the best traditions and fans anywhere. I'm more of a fan then I was before. The legend is legit. I NOW understand why they don't or even care to travel OOS. I had to tell one guy that DLS was in CA after he asked if they were from Florida. LOL!

*Their top teams can play with anyone. Any OOS team coming to play a Texas 6A team had better strap it up tight. More top teams should come do it. Win or lose...IT IS WORTH IT...for the fans and kids. The rules made no difference in this game. Except for the offsides play that wasn't called.

*Allen is legit this year. But so is Trinity. I hope that they play. I think I'd give Allen the edge based on what I saw. Allen can flat out move the ball and they had an aggressive defense that might give Trinity some trouble. Trinity will pound and pound. I like Wilson and Natee back there behind that wall of (young)men.

...oh and Dallas is a beautiful city. We saw so much while there.

Sorry so long. I could write more, but I'll save you guys some eye cells. Overall grade is an A. Not an A+ because DLS lost
    Super B

Comment

• SLCbacker
      Special Teams
      • Apr 2015

Very nice! Sorry I missed the BBQ.

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
        Special Teams
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Super B
        And another.
        Outstanding.
        Wish we could travel out that way. Would be a blast to play them at their place.

Comment

Working...