X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

TCU QB Commit Brennen Wooten Transferred to San Angelo Central

The highly touted TCU QB commit transferred to San Angelo Central from Marble Falls. SAC has been pretty close to getting over that DFW hump but just hasn't had enough firepower. We'll see if the transfer of Wooten will finally help them get through the DFW and into the State Championship.

In 2014 Wooten led Marble Falls High School to a 4-6 record in a tough 25-5a district. Wooten threw 343 times and completed 191 (Completion % .557) for 3,218 yards and 26 touchdowns, while only throwing 6 interceptions. Wooten also ran 53 times for 241 yards and scored 9 touchdowns on the ground.

Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Brennen-Wooten-34620
    Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/brennen-wooten
  • CHill
    1st Team
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
    The highly touted TCU QB commit transferred to San Angelo Central from Marble Falls. SAC has been pretty close to getting over that DFW hump but just hasn't had enough firepower. We'll see if the transfer of Wooten will finally help them get through the DFW and into the State Championship.

In 2014 Wooten led Marble Falls High School to a 4-6 record in a tough 25-5a district. Wooten threw 343 times and completed 191 (Completion % .557) for 3,218 yards and 26 touchdowns, while only throwing 6 interceptions. Wooten also ran 53 times for 241 yards and scored 9 touchdowns on the ground.

Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Brennen-Wooten-34620
    Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/brennen-wooten

Also his brother and top WR last year transfer too.

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

His father was working in San Angelo prior to the move, commuting back and forth to Marble Falls. It's said the kid had previously lived in San Angelo. It's my understanding that when he did live in the area, he played at Wall, a 3A school about 15 miles or so east. Don't think he was ever enrolled in the SAISD.

Simple, had Dodge stayed in MB, daddy would have continued the commute, after all, daddy moved the boy to MB to be coached by Dodge. No way Dodge was going to let the boy follow him to Austin.

I can say with certain that the father is very involved. During a playoff game at Shotwell last season I was sitting in the pressbox and a very well known QB coach was sitting next to me. I brought up the kid and the coach said his dad texts him several times a day, showing me the texts which confirmed the dad is marketing his son. He said he could call him right now and the dad will answer the phone, which he did and the dad answered. I joked with the coach and told him he should have talked the dad into moving his son to Abilene because we need a QB! He said the kid comes to Abilene to workout over at Action with UT's former strength and conditioning coach.

Anyway, it was very clear dad wanted his son to play at SAC for the exposure and competition which is fine, can't blame him since MF doesn't have much to offer since Dodge is gone.

The kid has big shoes to fill. The departing QB accounted for over 4k total yards, about half in the air and half on the ground. Yes, he will have at least one tall target to throw too.

SA hasn't been close at all at getting over the DFW hump. The last two years they had it handed to them pretty good. SLC could have put 60 on them had their foot remained on the throttle. They are a team to be reckoned with though. Very good program, coaching and following the footsteps of Abilene so who knows, this could be the year or soon down the line where they get over that 3rd round hump.

Comment

• SumDude
        Practice Squad
        • Apr 2015

This is a good thing for SAC. Yes, they lose their #1 QB, RB, WR's, and 3 on the OL (all were impact players for SAC), but they return a ton on defense. Last year's QB (Hucks) was the heart-and-soul of their team scoring 45 TDS and accounting for about 3500 yards. Wooten will have to up his game and fill the shoes of Hucks. SAC's #1 RB (Lacy) is gone, too. That means their back-up (Antoine - long, rangy, raw) from 2014 is going to have to carry the weight for the run-game. If QB-Wooten and RB-Antoine can step into the #1 role they should have some good support step up at WR (lots of young talent) and the OL (several potential studs along w/ OT-Webb). The defense should be pretty damn salty and should easily carry the offense at the beginning of the season. If the offense can gel and grow quickly, look out for SAC.

Comment

• Eagle82
          All District
          • Apr 2015

SAC will be the favorite in 3-6A this year. Mojo will be tough but don't count Abilene out. If we can stay healthy one never knows.

Round three will be tough though. Depending on who wins between SAC and Abilene will depend on who plays at the top of the R1 bracket. Possible SAC/SLC and AH/CH matchups.

Comment

• SumDude
            Practice Squad
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
            SAC will be the favorite in 3-6A this year. Mojo will be tough but don't count Abilene out. If we can stay healthy one never knows.

Round three will be tough though. Depending on who wins between SAC and Abilene will depend on who plays at the top of the R1 bracket. Possible SAC/SLC and AH/CH matchups.
            If SAC takes the same path as they did last year, Arlington Bowie is going to be much better this year. A ton of returners and speed, everywhere! SAC's offense is going to have to be ready to go TD-for-TD with Bowie, again. Right now, that seems like a hard feat for SAC. We'll see how well they transition. Then again, we'll also see how improved their young defense from 2014 is. They might have the best balance. Btw, Coach Davis is quickly becoming one of the best young coaches in the state. He was just as successful at Alice HS. In 2008, his (12-1)Alice team scared the daylights out of Lake Travis when it was 42-32 in the 4th Qtr of the Regional Finals. His first two years (2009/2010) at SAC, he led them to an 8-13 record. His 3rd year, they went 9-3. In 2013, they went 10-2 (beating Abilene, too). Last year, 12-2 while upsetting Arlington Bowie. He has that IT factor! It would be nice to see him take over a program in the DFW area!

Comment

• JagFan
              1st Team
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
              His father was working in San Angelo prior to the move, commuting back and forth to Marble Falls. It's said the kid had previously lived in San Angelo. It's my understanding that when he did live in the area, he played at Wall, a 3A school about 15 miles or so east. Don't think he was ever enrolled in the SAISD.

Simple, had Dodge stayed in MB, daddy would have continued the commute, after all, daddy moved the boy to MB to be coached by Dodge. No way Dodge was going to let the boy follow him to Austin.

I can say with certain that the father is very involved. During a playoff game at Shotwell last season I was sitting in the pressbox and a very well known QB coach was sitting next to me. I brought up the kid and the coach said his dad texts him several times a day, showing me the texts which confirmed the dad is marketing his son. He said he could call him right now and the dad will answer the phone, which he did and the dad answered. I joked with the coach and told him he should have talked the dad into moving his son to Abilene because we need a QB! He said the kid comes to Abilene to workout over at Action with UT's former strength and conditioning coach.

Anyway, it was very clear dad wanted his son to play at SAC for the exposure and competition which is fine, can't blame him since MF doesn't have much to offer since Dodge is gone.

The kid has big shoes to fill. The departing QB accounted for over 4k total yards, about half in the air and half on the ground. Yes, he will have at least one tall target to throw too.

SA hasn't been close at all at getting over the DFW hump. The last two years they had it handed to them pretty good. SLC could have put 60 on them had their foot remained on the throttle. They are a team to be reckoned with though. Very good program, coaching and following the footsteps of Abilene so who knows, this could be the year or soon down the line where they get over that 3rd round hump.
              Sad sad sad. It is dads like this that are ruining Texas high School football.

Comment

• Greenbritches
                Practice Squad
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SumDude

If SAC takes the same path as they did last year, Arlington Bowie is going to be much better this year. A ton of returners and speed, everywhere! SAC's offense is going to have to be ready to go TD-for-TD with Bowie, again. Right now, that seems like a hard feat for SAC. We'll see how well they transition. Then again, we'll also see how improved their young defense from 2014 is. They might have the best balance. Btw, Coach Davis is quickly becoming one of the best young coaches in the state. He was just as successful at Alice HS. In 2008, his (12-1)Alice team scared the daylights out of Lake Travis when it was 42-32 in the 4th Qtr of the Regional Finals. His first two years (2009/2010) at SAC, he led them to an 8-13 record. His 3rd year, they went 9-3. In 2013, they went 10-2 (beating Abilene, too). Last year, 12-2 while upsetting Arlington Bowie. He has that IT factor! It would be nice to see him take over a program in the DFW area!

The problem is that Bowie has the same crappy coach.

Comment

• Shady12
                  2nd Team
                  • Apr 2015

He definitely has big shoes to fill. Hucks turned out to be pretty incredible and if he'd been a QB for more than one season would have had quite a few D1 offers. Wooten has some running ability but didn't run much at MF. It will be interesting to see if that stays the same or if it was just because of the offense there. No matter how great he is passing they may still need a guy who can run a lot. Hucks was their running game last season. Someone mentioned Lacy being the #1 guy but Antoine has a higher YPC and more upside. They alternated every other series most games. He is raw but has potential to be pretty good. He needs to be. Only question otherwise is the line with a lot of holes to fill but think they have the personnel to do it. Defense should be outstanding.

They lost all but one wide receiver but gained Aaron Wooten who already has at least one D1 offer going into his junior season (obviously the exposure from his brother doesn't hurt in that regard) but he looks very polished. They will have a lot of size. Aaron Wooten is 6'1", returner Grindstaff (who would have been QB, bummer for him) is 6'3-6-4", and there's a 6'6" kid who was on JV and should have a big impact. Then there are some other guys with talent.

Central always has good QBs and I Grindstaff would have been really good next season if he'd played QB. There's yet another 6'2" guy who can run who will be an incoming junior and probably play WR who is probably also good enough to step in at QB. Just wish they had a similar running back pipeline.

The defense loses two particularly great players at S and DE who will both be playing on Saturdays. But they do get Corey Lane I think from Nacogdoches, a DB with D1 offers. His brother was a 4 star corner the year before and they moved to Nacogdoches for a year. A few big guys returning at DT including one over 300 and one at 290. The other DE is returning and is very good. Will also be very strong at LB and in the secondary.

Potentially this is the best team they've had under Davis. As far as that third round hump, Eagle82 says SLC could have put 60 on them. A few ways to look at that game though. One is that the score would have been worse with SLC getting a big lead in the first and could have done the same in the second half. SLC in the first half scored the points they did because the Central D was on the field almost the entire half. They held up very well though and one of their defensive coaches told a Central defender after the game that they played them better defensively than any other team(maybe he was being nice). In the second SLC didn't do much, but you can say they were just coasting. But with the Central offense actually moving the ball I think SLC ends up only in the 30's anyway, with less in the first half. They had an insane amount of plays. Don't remember how many but I believe 70-80 and the yards per play wasn't very high. Hucks had a few nice throws but was missing so much, even the short stuff, and if he'd hit stuff he usually would have they'd have moved the ball because they weren't due to SLC defensive execution. This was partly due to the insanely high wind and partly due to Hucks shoulder being injured. It was iced all week starting as soon as he was taken out early the previous game. SLC was better suited to move the ball in the wind due to having a better running game. I think the game would have been more like 30 something to 20 something without the 30+ mph sustained winds coming straight in from the open end of the stadium and a healthy QB. Still probably a loss but not some crazy blowout. The talent level of the teams looked close. SLC though is just so well coached and executes so well they are really good even when they don't have overwhelming talent. Contrast that with Bowie who came in with a ridiculous amount of raw talent but isn't nearly as good a team. SLC is the top notch DFW team they match up best with right now so if they can't beat them it will be tough to get over that hump. It is a tough challenge and Davis admits it will be but getting to the point where the program can compete consistently with is a big goal for him. We'll see what happens.

I do think SAC will be the district favorite and the top three will be some combo of SAC, Permian, and Abilene. If Abilene finds a good QB I think they'll be the other team challenging for the district crown. Abram Smith was by far the best back I saw last season. Just rare strength where player explode away from his contact, and if not even really good defenders have a hard time getting him down without him dragging them for awhile. The Bobcats handled Permian so easily last season. But they are trending upward and maybe they just had a bad game. I like how Blake Feldt has installed schemes that maximize the type of player he has and that should get them on the right track.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
                    I think the game would have been more like 30 something to 20 something without the 30+ mph sustained winds coming straight in from the open end of the stadium and a healthy QB.
                    Love that fighting Bobcat spirit and I have no clue what 2015 will bring but I didn't get the impression that the two teams were that close that day, unless you're thinking 38-21 type score. SLC pretty clearly throttled down in that one, I thought. On the same token, you could say SLC was within a touchdown late in the 4th quarter of the Chill game or that Chill blew them out and make a pretty good argument for both, so I guess perspective matters a whole lot with these things.

Comment

• Shady12
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

Love that fighting Bobcat spirit and I have no clue what 2015 will bring but I didn't get the impression that the two teams were that close that day, unless you're thinking 38-21 type score. SLC pretty clearly throttled down in that one, I thought. On the same token, you could say SLC was within a touchdown late in the 4th quarter of the Chill game or that Chill blew them out and make a pretty good argument for both, so I guess perspective matters a whole lot with these things.

They weren't close that day as proven by the score. I said there were a few ways to look at it and speculate, so I think it could have been different on a "different day," but all we know is the way it happened that day under those conditions. Talent-wise they looked similar to me on tape before and what I saw in person didn't change that much for me. Even thinking that going in, I knew it would take a perfect performance to actually win because SLC is just such a well oiled machine. It was a beautiful thing to behold in person.

From the SLC side the SAC offense wouldn't have looked like much, but that was a very atypical performance. SLC played them very well but there still a lot of yards and plays left on the table. They weren't executing. If they had, that would have meant less possessions in the first half for SLC and not 28 points. They worked very hard for 28 points despite a ton of plays. I was blown away at how well the SAC defense held up being out there so much. If the SAC offense had a pulse in the first half it likely would have been a close game going into the second. Who knows maybe SLC turns it on and pulls away under that scenario. I'd love to have another shot and see what happens.
                      Last edited by Shady12; 04-29-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• mcneilmav
                        Practice Squad
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by JagFan

Sad sad sad. It is dads like this that are ruining Texas high School football.
                        Might as well get this first post out of the way. I have to agree with you.. So if the kid has already committed to TCU, why the need for additional exposure? Another reason BW may not have followed Dodge to WL is Sam Ehlinger. Just MHO. I have no doubt Coach Davis will work wonders with a talented qb. I wish Coach Davis, the Wooten kid and SAC the best until they have to play the Austin area teams of course. All of this moving around as previously stated for coaching purposes or possibly to get in a better position to play for a SC just doesn't sit well with me. I AM happy that dad doesn't have to make his commute. I can relate. I sometimes feel like I am driving between MF and San Angelo on my daily commute on MoPac.

Comment

• svhorns
                          All State
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mcneilmav

Might as well get this first post out of the way. I have to agree with you.. So if the kid has already committed to TCU, why the need for additional exposure? Another reason BW may not have followed Dodge to WL is Sam Ehlinger. Just MHO. I have no doubt Coach Davis will work wonders with a talented qb. I wish Coach Davis, the Wooten kid and SAC the best until they have to play the Austin area teams of course. All of this moving around as previously stated for coaching purposes or possibly to get in a better position to play for a SC just doesn't sit well with me. I AM happy that dad doesn't have to make his commute. I can relate. I sometimes feel like I am driving between MF and San Angelo on my daily commute on MoPac.
                          I looked in the mirror today and realized from the time I invited you until your first post I grew a couple of gray hairs.

With that being said, welcome aboard.

Comment

• mcneilmav
                            Practice Squad
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

I looked in the mirror today and realized from the time I invited you until your first post I grew a couple of gray hairs.

With that being said, welcome aboard.
                            My board activity tends to fall off substantially during the off season. But nonetheless thanks for the invite and I look forward to the discussions to be had.

Comment

• sTp
                              1st Team
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mcneilmav

My board activity tends to fall off substantially during the off season. But nonetheless thanks for the invite and I look forward to the discussions to be had.
                              Glad ya found the place!

Comment

Working...