X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Texas vs. California vs. Florida...

Texas knows they're better than California and Florida ball.

California knows they're better than Texas and Florida ball.

Florida knows they're better than Texas and California ball.

We talk about how watered down the Texas playoff system is. What about those other states? Heck, California is so spread out it's like opening a tub of margarine.

So, just who is better?
    Texas
    88.89%
    California
    3.70%
    Florida
    7.41%
  • dada
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

As watered down as we think it is....Texas' playoff system still settles it on the field...cream rises to the top....
    Last edited by dada; 08-03-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...lifornia.html/

26 days away: Why Texas is infinitely better than California

One of the most highly-anticipated Week 1 matchups of the upcoming season pits perennial state power Euless Trinity against MaxPreps’ national preseason No.1 team, De La Salle, which is northeast of San Francisco, on Saturday Aug. 29 at 8 p.m. The game will be a doubleheader on ESPN with DeSoto/Arlington Martin preceding it at 4 p.m. at Newsom Stadium.

The chatter has already begun on social media and believe me, this isn’t just about one school versus the other. This is for bragging rights between two states that consistently produce some of the best football talent in the country.

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Social Media as in message boards.
        Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
          http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...lifornia.html/

26 days away: Why Texas is infinitely better than California

One of the most highly-anticipated Week 1 matchups of the upcoming season pits perennial state power Euless Trinity against MaxPreps’ national preseason No.1 team, De La Salle, which is northeast of San Francisco, on Saturday Aug. 29 at 8 p.m. The game will be a doubleheader on ESPN with DeSoto/Arlington Martin preceding it at 4 p.m. at Newsom Stadium.

The chatter has already begun on social media and believe me, this isn’t just about one school versus the other. This is for bragging rights between two states that consistently produce some of the best football talent in the country.

I think Trinity will be very good this season and the hype of this game will increase until game day. Heck, I'm getting excited not just for this game, but for all HS football to begin. My only concern for this game is the great opponent in game 1. I would prefer to have a few games prior to this game to iron out the wrinkles of many new players and many other changes this year, but it's hit the ground running in week 1 for Trinity. I'm a proud Texan and a proud Trojan and I hope the boys are ready to execute. I'm ready to brag!
          Last edited by BevoBo; 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Super B
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
            Bishop Amat according to Super B was ranked #5 in Cali. Trinity was ranked from what I've seen anywhere from 6 to 8 in most final rankings. Both Trinity and Bishop Amat were ranked pretty evenly in their respective states. I dont see Trinity being able to duplicate what the 5th ranked team from Cali did to Aledo. My support on that is Trinity's game against Heath and the Aledo, CUJO, Heath connection in the late rounds of the 5A playoffs. Aledo also hosted the Cali team and the game was played with Texas rules.
            You are obviously trolling me. Trinity played Allen very close as well. Does that mean Allen and Aledo would have been a close game? Or Allen and Amat? lol You selectively pick out a few games and ignore others. That's fine. Last year is last year and this year is almost here. This years Trinity I think will be better than last years Trinity.
            Super B

Comment

• Super B
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

I think what you're going to see is some people (not oak) who are going to try to downplay how good Aledo was relative to other teams in the state due to them getting beat the way they did by Amat. There were not many teams in Texas a year ago who would have been able to deliver that kind of beating to Aledo like Amat did.
              ​That is interesting. I am being absolutely serious here. I hadn't thought of that. Mainly because I would put Amat in the top 10 in Texas either. Not sure where they would be. Don't really care either.

I believe Aledo is not a top ?? (I don't know a specific number) team because they are a small 5A team.

What I did say earlier is that I am confident that Aledo would make the playoffs in just about any 6A district. However I doubt they'd get past the third round. It's mostly based on that, which forms my opinion that Aledo is not among the top teams overall in Texas.
              Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                All State
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                You are obviously trolling me. Trinity played Allen very close as well. Does that mean Allen and Aledo would have been a close game? Or Allen and Amat? lol You selectively pick out a few games and ignore others. That's fine. Last year is last year and this year is almost here. This years Trinity I think will be better than last years Trinity.
                You're speaking like Amat wouldn't be able to give Allen a game. Hell, Dutchfork gave Allen a game. Allen won by 5. Dutchfork lost by 30 points in their state game.

Aledo would absolutely have given Allen a game. It wouldnt be anything near the stomping Aledo received from Amat.

No question Amat would have beat a one dimensional Trinity squad.

Comment

• Super B
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

You're speaking like Amat wouldn't be able to give Allen a game. Hell, Dutchfork gave Allen a game. Allen won by 5. Dutchfork lost by 30 points in their state game.

Aledo would absolutely have given Allen a game. It wouldnt be anything near the stomping Aledo received from Amat.

No question Amat would have beat a one dimensional Trinity squad.
                  Okay. Trinity had way too strong a defense for Aledo. Aledo would have zero chance of stopping Trinity's run game. Aledo doesn't have the size or depth in the trenches. That is a big reason many lower classification teams would not do well vs. 6A teams.
                  Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                    All State
                    • Apr 2015

Okay. Trinity had way too strong a defense for Aledo. Aledo would have zero chance of stopping Trinity's run game. Aledo doesn't have the size or depth in the trenches. That is a big reason many lower classification teams would not do well vs. 6A teams.
                    Care to explain how Rockwall Heath, a lowly 5A team, was able to hold Trinity to 17 points? You do realize Aledo was substantially better than Heath? Deshon Elliott played a large role in that game with an interception and a couple of TD catches for Heath. If you guys couldn't stop Deshon Elliott from getting in the end zone, mind you the kid is a DB who played both ways, then no way you guys would have stopped Ryan Newome from torching you guys.

Comment

• Super B
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Care to explain how Rockwall Heath, a lowly 5A team, was able to hold Trinity to 17 points? You do realize Aledo was substantially better than Heath? Deshon Elliott played a large role in that game with an interception and a couple of TD catches for Heath. If you guys couldn't stop Deshon Elliott from getting in the end zone, mind you the kid is a DB who played both ways, then no way you guys would have stopped Ryan Newome from torching you guys.
                      No I don't. All I will say is Trinity struggled early last season on offense. A freaking LB/FB was playing QB for the first time. Again, that was last year. Why do you keep harping on all things Trinity?

I really like Aledo and have been very impressed with their run, but dude. Last year they played Cedar Park in a close game to start the season, Bishop Amat, JT who they smoked and finally Temple who they narrowly escaped for another state title. Four quality opponents. As much as I like what Aledo has done, they make a living beating up on the sisters of the poor.
                      Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                        All State
                        • Apr 2015

No I don't. All I will say is Trinity struggled early last season on offense. A freaking LB/FB was playing QB for the first time. Again, that was last year. Why do you keep harping on all things Trinity?

I really like Aledo and have been very impressed with their run, but dude. Last year they played Cedar Park in a close game to start the season, Bishop Amat, JT who they smoked and finally Temple who they narrowly escaped for another state title. Four quality opponents. As much as I like what Aledo has done, they make a living beating up on the sisters of the poor.
                        I'm not harping on Trinity I'm harping on the fact that you keep downplaying 5A teams because they have less students. I'm using Trinity because you're a Trinity fan. I'm using Trinity because they beat a 5A team who didn't make it to state by only 3 points and you are arguing that 5A teams wouldn't be able to hang with the top teams in 6A when a 5A team did just that against the 6th ranked 6A Trinity Trojans.

Cedar Park was a state runner up as was Temple. Those teams in their own right are respectable teams. How soon do we forget that 4A Smithson Valley and 4A Southlake Carroll both made the state championship in their first year at the 5A level. SV took down Katy to get to the finals. The drop off in play from the 6A level to the 5A level amongst the top teams in each of those classifications is not as significant as your mind is making it.

Comment

• svhorns
                          All State
                          • Apr 2015

LOL. So you're in the Katy only wins state titles because they don't play in Region 1 camp. I've seen you DFW guys make the same comparison with Katy.
                          Last edited by svhorns; 08-06-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Super B
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

I'm not harping on Trinity I'm harping on the fact that you keep downplaying 5A teams because they have less students. I'm using Trinity because you're a Trinity fan. I'm using Trinity because they beat a 5A team who didn't make it to state by only 3 points and you are arguing that 5A teams wouldn't be able to hang with the top teams in 6A when a 5A team did just that against the 6th ranked 6A Trinity Trojans.

Cedar Park was a state runner up as was Temple. Those teams in their own right are respectable teams. How soon do we forget that 4A Smithson Valley and 4A Southlake Carroll both made the state championship in their first year at the 5A level. SV took down Katy to get to the finals. The drop off in play from the 6A level to the 5A level amongst the top teams in each of those classifications is not as significant as your mind is making it.
                            When SV and SLC and Steele made the 5A title games first year out, what classification were they in?
                            Super B

Comment

• Super B
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

LOL. So you're in the Katy only wins state titles because they don't play in Region 1 camp. I've seen you DFW guys make the same comparison with Katy.
                              Let's stick to the subject at hand. Leave Katy out of this. Katy plays infinitely better teams every year COMPARED TO KATY than Aledo does compared Aledo.

I said Aledo makes a living beating up on the sisters of the poor. Do you have a response to that, or would you just prefer to concede the point?
                              Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                                All State
                                • Apr 2015

When SV and SLC and Steele made the 5A title games first year out, what classification were they in?
                                Huh? I'm not sure if you're purposely playing dumb or if you really aren't aware what you just asked. I'll just move on to your next post.

Comment

• svhorns
                                  All State
                                  • Apr 2015

Let's stick to the subject at hand. Leave Katy out of this. Katy plays infinitely better teams every year COMPARED TO KATY than Aledo does compared Aledo.

I said Aledo makes a living beating up on the sisters of the poor. Do you have a response to that, or would you just prefer to concede the point?
                                  Aledo has won 5 state championships in the last 6 years in their classification. Would else would you like them to do? lol.

If Aledo has only beat sisters of the poor the last 6 years what does that say about Texas High School Football as a whole? You seem to have a real gloomy look on the depth of teams we have here in Texas. Yet you're the first one to call a guy from Cali a douchebag when he doesn't bow down to the almighty Texas football.

Aledo has a dynasty at the moment that can only be rivaled by 2 or 3 teams in Texas, Celina being one of them.

The National high school record for most rushing touchdowns belongs to Aledo's Johnathan Gray with 205 td's. Adrian Peterson wouldnt have been able to handle Trinity's defense either because lower classifications suck.

Your arguments are blind and without logic. When a 5A team, a 5A team who didn't even make it to state, comes to within 4 points of beating Trinity, how you continue to berate the lower 5A classification is beyond me. Get a clue man. You need to seriously brush up on your high school football knowledge and leave the discussion to people who know what they're talking about.

Comment

• Super B
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Huh? I'm not sure if you're purposely playing dumb or if you really aren't aware what you just asked. I'll just move on to your next post.
                                    I am completely aware of what I just asked. They were in 5A. You are attempting to portray them as 4A teams. They were 5A teams that made the 5A playoffs.
                                    Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Aledo has won 5 state championships in the last 6 years in their classification. Would else would you like them to do? lol.

If Aledo has only beat sisters of the poor the last 6 years what does that say about Texas High School Football as a whole? You seem to have a real gloomy look on the depth of teams we have here in Texas. Yet you're the first one to call a guy from Cali a douchebag when he doesn't bow down to the almighty Texas football.

Aledo has a dynasty at the moment that can only be rivaled by 2 or 3 teams in Texas, Celina being one of them.

The National high school record for most rushing touchdowns belongs to Aledo's Johnathan Gray with 205 td's. Adrian Peterson wouldnt have been able to handle Trinity's defense either because lower classifications suck.

Your arguments are blind and without logic. When a 5A team, a 5A team who didn't even make it to state, comes to within 4 points of beating Trinity, how you continue to berate the lower 5A classification is beyond me. Get a clue man. You need to seriously brush up on your high school football knowledge and leave the discussion to people who know what they're talking about.
                                      Again, this is not a Trinity thread. Heck we are even in the wrong forum. Should be in the 1A-5A forum. I gave my opinion that Aledo is not a top 30-40 team overall. Now I was just throwing out a number. I don't know an exact rating of where they fall The premise is how would Aledo do vs. 6A teams with a 6A schedule? I said they would not LIKELY get past round 3.

Aledo has played some very good teams over the years. The districts they have been in over that time has not exactly been stellar. Neither has their EARLY playoff draw. Therefore MOST of the teams they have played have been less than impressive. Last season they played Cedar Park, Bishop Amat and some team from Mexico. I credit them for playing two of those three. Typically when a team plays Mexico, it's not their first choice. It is because they cannot find another opponent willing to play them. I can't really blame them for that. They have not called any good (or otherwise) 6A teams to try to schedule a game. They don't have to of course, but they could have.

If you want to say they are a top 8-16 team in Texas overall, let's see how well they could compete with a 6A schedule. Hypothetically of course. If they were in 6A, they would likely be the ninth team in 4-6A. They would have whatever pre-district schedule. In district they would surely beat North Crowley, Weatherford and Paschal. How would they fare vs. Arlington, Martin, Bowie, Lamar and Sam? Maybe they win all those games, maybe they don't. I am certain those games would be much closer than games vs. Crowley, Everman, Burleson, Granbury and the like. Then on to the playoffs.

In this scenario, how would they do in the playoffs?
                                      Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                                        All State
                                        • Apr 2015

I am completely aware of what I just asked. They were in 5A. You are attempting to portray them as 4A teams. They were 5A teams that made the 5A playoffs.
                                        No shi.t sherlock. My point went over your head here. Ill move on to your next post.

Comment

• svhorns
                                          All State
                                          • Apr 2015

Again, this is not a Trinity thread. Heck we are even in the wrong forum. Should be in the 1A-5A forum. I gave my opinion that Aledo is not a top 30-40 team overall. Now I was just throwing out a number. I don't know an exact rating of where they fall The premise is how would Aledo do vs. 6A teams with a 6A schedule? I said they would not LIKELY get past round 3.

Aledo has played some very good teams over the years. The districts they have been in over that time has not exactly been stellar. Neither has their EARLY playoff draw. Therefore MOST of the teams they have played have been less than impressive. Last season they played Cedar Park, Bishop Amat and some team from Mexico. I credit them for playing two of those three. Typically when a team plays Mexico, it's not their first choice. It is because they cannot find another opponent willing to play them. I can't really blame them for that. They have not called any good (or otherwise) 6A teams to try to schedule a game. They don't have to of course, but they could have.

If you want to say they are a top 8-16 team in Texas overall, let's see how well they could compete with a 6A schedule. Hypothetically of course. If they were in 6A, they would likely be the ninth team in 4-6A. They would have whatever pre-district schedule. In district they would surely beat North Crowley, Weatherford and Paschal. How would they fare vs. Arlington, Martin, Bowie, Lamar and Sam? Maybe they win all those games, maybe they don't. I am certain those games would be much closer than games vs. Crowley, Everman, Burleson, Granbury and the like. Then on to the playoffs.

In this scenario, how would they do in the playoffs?
                                          You're wishy washy. If Aledo played sisters of the poor stay witht that argument. Aledo cant control what district they play in and in the end it doesnt matter theyve won 5 state championships in the last 6 years, they dont need to change anything.

Aledo wouldnt have won state at the 6A level not last year anyway. I can name about 12 6A teams if Aledo were to meet in the playoffs they probably would be bounced out of the playoffs. It wouldn't be by a 35 point margin though. My point is that Aledo would be in the 10-15 range not something absurd like the 30-40 range.

When was the last time Aledo lost by 35 points?

Comment

• Farmer
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

You're wishy washy. If Aledo played sisters of the poor stay witht that argument. Aledo cant control what district they play in and in the end it doesnt matter theyve won 5 state championships in the last 6 years, they dont need to change anything.

Aledo wouldnt have won state at the 6A level not last year anyway. I can name about 12 6A teams if Aledo were to meet in the playoffs they probably would be bounced out of the playoffs. It wouldn't be by a 35 point margin though. My point is that Aledo would be in the 10-15 range not something absurd like the 30-40 range.

I would agree with the 35 point margin comment. There weren't many defenses at all in 6A last year that could have held Aledo in check. Katy, Trinity and Skyline are 3 that come to mind. I wouldn't have had confidence in the defenses at Allen or DeSoto or Cedar Hill to dominate Aledo at all and while all 3 of those teams would have scored on Aledo I'm not confident that they had the consistency to stop Aledo either. I know Desoto played lights out against Allen but going into a game against Aledo im not sure those defenses would have respected Aledo enough to play the disciplined defense they did against Allen.

I think ranking Aledo in the 15-20 range would be fair and accurate but not the 30-40 range.

Comment

• Super B
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

IDK Oak said something about a bad loss to LT. 2011 maybe?
                                              Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

I would agree with the 35 point margin comment. There weren't many defenses at all in 6A last year that could have held Aledo in check. Katy, Trinity and Skyline are 3 that come to mind. I wouldn't have had confidence in the defenses at Allen or DeSoto or Cedar Hill to dominate Aledo at all and while all 3 of those teams would have scored on Aledo I'm not confident that they had the consistency to stop Aledo either. I know Desoto played lights out against Allen but going into a game against Aledo im not sure those defenses would have respected Aledo enough to play the disciplined defense they did against Allen.

I think ranking Aledo in the 15-20 range would be fair and accurate but not the 30-40 range.
                                                Works for me.
                                                Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

IDK Oak said something about a bad loss to LT. 2011 maybe?
                                                  LT put a beating on them that year and that LT team was salty too.

Comment

• svhorns
                                                    All State
                                                    • Apr 2015

Works for me.
                                                    So why did you throw out the 30-40 range and act like everyone was on the same page?

Comment

• Super B
                                                      All District
                                                      • Apr 2015

So why did you throw out the 30-40 range and act like everyone was on the same page?
                                                      At some point we just have to move along. Now seems like a good time.
                                                      Super B

Comment

• svhorns
                                                        All State
                                                        • Apr 2015

At some point we just have to move along. Now seems like a good time.
                                                        At some point you need to stop throwing out erroneous information if you want any credibility among high school football boards.

Not answering my question will only solidify that.

Comment

• BevoBo
                                                          Special Teams
                                                          • Apr 2015

I think Super B was referring to this statement you made in bold, When a 4A team moves up, there no longer 4A, but 5A, regardless where they were year before. There numbers grew to 5A level. It's an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe you should have just left out the first underlined sentence.
                                                          Last edited by BevoBo; 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• svhorns
                                                            All State
                                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

I think Super B was referring to this statement you made in bold, When a 4A team moves up, there no longer 4A, but 5A, regardless where they were year before. There numbers grew to 5A level. It's an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe you should have just left out the first underlined sentence.
                                                            I completely understood what he said. Thanks for trying to clear it up though, he really is foggy when it comes to football discussions. The point I was trying to bring up is the drop off from the 6A to 5A level when speaking about the top teams in each classification isn't as significant as he might think. Case in point SV, SLC, and Steele who I left off in my original statement. You also have to remember the enrollment cut off lines dip in some years which allows schools to get the opportunity to get to play at the largest classification without adding students.

If you were apart of the boards when SV and SLC moved up to 5A SLC caught a lot of grief from other fans who said they wouldn't be able to handle 5A ball. I also remember Trinity fans having the largest contingent regarding the negativity towards SLC when they made the jump. My point is legitimate and if it wasn't Lake Travis wouldn't have had to endure the same type of crucifixion.

Comment

Working...