X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Interesting stat about Katy

I was talking to fleeman about this last summer when we were floating the Comal and told him one of the most impressive stats about Katy is this.
    Katy has played in 12 title games since 1994. That means that every graduating class at Katy since 1994 who played 4 years of football at Katy has had the opportunity to experience at least one state championship game. Over a 21 year period I can not think of another program that can say that.

I know I know Katy plays nobody and is gifted everything they get but to me that's dang impressive
  • dada
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
    I was talking to fleeman about this last summer when we were floating the Comal and told him one of the most impressive stats about Katy is this.
    Katy has played in 12 title games since 1994. That means that every graduating class at Katy since 1994 who played 4 years of football at Katy has had the opportunity to experience at least one state championship game. Over a 21 year period I can not think of another program that can say that.

I know I know Katy plays nobody and is gifted everything they get but to me that's dang impressive
    Yep....if you played for Katy from 1994 to now....you've played for a state title. Consistency.....I also believe their worst record in that period is 8-4.

Comment

• Farmer
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada

Yep....if you played for Katy from 1994 to now....you've played for a state title. Consistency.....I also believe their worst record in that period is 8-4.

Theyve won district every year with the exception of 2 years as well during that stretch, right?

Comment

• dada
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

Theyve won district every year with the exception of 2 years as well during that stretch, right?
        yep....2002 and 2008 are the two years they didnt win district

Comment

• Farmer
          All District
          • Apr 2015

yep....2002 and 2008 are the two years they didnt win district

Youre right when you say consistency. My first taste of watching Katy football was the state finals in 1994 when I watched them lose to Sucks at Kyle Field but then remember watching Fox Sports in 1997 and saw them suffocate previously unbeaten and the "number 1 ranked team in the country" Longview and Fred Talley 21-3 at the Astrodome. Man that 97 team had a massive OLine

Comment

• Eagle82
            All District
            • Apr 2015

That is very impressive.

So what's in the water down there?
            DFW teams get the rap for move-in's and transfers that propel their teams to the next level.

Is that going on there or has Katy become a football town that families move into early on, wanting their children to grow up in the system?

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
              Special Teams
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
              That is very impressive.

DFW teams get the rap for move-in's and transfers that propel their teams to the next level.

Is that going on there or has Katy become a football town that families move into early on, wanting their children to grow up in the system?

I doubt you'd get any of the KTs to name names but I'll bet they get plenty of move-ins like everyone else, albeit maybe lower-profile or earlier than upperclassmen seasons compared to the more brazen stuff seen recently on I-20/in Allen. Young of course was one transfer and I think they have a DB having to sit out this year. It happens everywhere if your school is good at football.

Comment

• Lilbradford
                Practice Squad
                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                That is very impressive.

families that do move in do it way early. Most players just buy into the program so most are growing up wanting to play for Katy. The only move in I can think of recently making an impact at Katy was Donovan Young in 2009.

Comment

• dada
                  2nd Team
                  • Apr 2015

Katy dosen't have as many transfers as you think......compared to the other KISD schools. Donovon Young was probably the only "Transfer"......The DB that was menationed, lived in Katy.....was zoned to Katy...then rezoned to another HS going to be a soph, and wasn't going to be on varsity anyway...all the UIL ruling did was say he can't move up to Varsity during playoffs.......Most of the katy players are 3-4 generation players....you have players with the names of some streets in Katy. Move in's dont have much success in Katy because a 5 star stud player will not come in and start over smaller, slower, younger kids who already know the system. A top DE came to Katy was told he had to fight for a spot with a soph....he ended up going elsewhere....so did a highly recruited QB, who wanted to finish baseball season at his previous school, then transfer.....was told if he didnt do spring ball, he wouldn't play...so he stayed where he was. Cinco Ranch and Morton Ranch get more transfers to than Katy by a long shot.....plus the district usually shoot down transfers to Katy anyway.

Donovonn Young wasn't exactly 5 star when he game to Katy...he rushed for 300 yards as soph in humble...and then had to battle for a spot vs an underclassmen named Adam Taylor.....trust me...I've seen many STUDS come to Katy...only to leave because they were not garunteed to start. Do they get transfers? YES, but not the high profile kids everyone thinks.

Comment

• dada
                    2nd Team
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

I doubt you'd get any of the KTs to name names but I'll bet they get plenty of move-ins like everyone else, albeit maybe lower-profile or earlier than upperclassmen seasons compared to the more brazen stuff seen recently on I-20/in Allen. Young of course was one transfer and I think they have a DB having to sit out this year. It happens everywhere if your school is good at football.
                    they have a few players that moved to Katy during Hurricane katrina....which means they were what? 7-8 years old when they moved to Katy.

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Concerning Young, didn't his father at least already live in Katy prior to him deciding to move in? Did Donovan transfer from Katy tonHumble in jr high and back to Katy?

Comment

• dada
                        2nd Team
                        • Apr 2015

Not saying Katy is "better than everyone and dont need transfers", but since 2006 the only transfers I remember are:
                        Donovonn Young- Humble
                        Robert jackson- Houston Davis
                        Logan Lister- California
                        Kevon Copleland- Conneticiut
                        Ryan Jones- OOS

Comment

• dada
                          2nd Team
                          • Apr 2015

Concerning Young, didn't his father at least already live in Katy prior to him deciding to move in? Did Donovan transfer from Katy tonHumble in jr high and back to Katy?
                          Yes....his dad lived in Katy...there were a lot of legal issues involved in that with his parents....had absolutely nothing to do with football, but no one wants to hear that. He was actually at Katy HS, then went back to Humble. Once things got resolved, he was allowed to go back to Katy.

Comment

• Farmer
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Yes....his dad lived in Katy...there were a lot of legal issues involved in that with his parents....had absolutely nothing to do with football, but no one wants to hear that. He was actually at Katy HS, then went back to Humble. Once things got resolved, he was allowed to go back to Katy.

lol at nobody wants to hear that. You and I went back and forth about that and I took on all of Katu on the old board for saying it was a football move

Comment

• SBBear
                              2nd Team
                              • Apr 2015

Don't forget his dad also played for Katy in the 80's as well.....

Comment

• SBBear
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

Most of the Katy team have been here since KYF football, most of the kids dream of playing for Katy, I know my son did growing up. I think now maybe interesting over the next few years as you have more and more transient kids coming through that weren't here to see Katy when it was a small farming community. What I mean by that is the new neighborhoods that are going up in and around the Katy HS zone with parents moving in as they get transferred to Houston, these kids don't know Coach Johnston and the steps it took to build the program. One thing though is that there is an actual town of Katy still and that will always keep Katy proper zoned there. But it will be interesting to see if Coach Joseph will continue to get the buy in from these transient kids that he gets from the generational kids....

Comment

• dada
                                  2nd Team
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SBBear
                                  Most of the Katy team have been here since KYF football, most of the kids dream of playing for Katy, I know my son did growing up. I think now maybe interesting over the next few years as you have more and more transient kids coming through that weren't here to see Katy when it was a small farming community. What I mean by that is the new neighborhoods that are going up in and around the Katy HS zone with parents moving in as they get transferred to Houston, these kids don't know Coach Johnston and the steps it took to build the program. One thing though is that there is an actual town of Katy still and that will always keep Katy proper zoned there. But it will be interesting to see if Coach Joseph will continue to get the buy in from these transient kids that he gets from the generational kids....
                                  I was just going back and looking at previous rosters, and some of the last names I saw then, are still showing up on this years roster.

Comment

• Farmer
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

how much longer do you see Coach Joseph coaching for?

I love what Miller has done at Lewisville. No they are not winning a lot of games, no he has not made the playoffs yet and probably won't this year. But the marked improvement alone has been so refreshing to watch. They are so fundamentally sound and well coached. I don't know if Coach Miller would even be considered for the head coaching gig at Katy but he wouldn't be a bad one at all if he did. As much as I would love for him to keep building Lewisville the realist in me knows it's only a matter of time before a better gig comes open and if he has a chance to go to a program with more depth and talent I hope he takes it. Lewisville was the best coached team in district last year they just don't have the depth or hirses to compete with some of the teams in this area or the state

Comment

• dada
                                      2nd Team
                                      • Apr 2015

I love what Miller has done at Lewisville. No they are not winning a lot of games, no he has not made the playoffs yet and probably won't this year. But the marked improvement alone has been so refreshing to watch. They are so fundamentally sound and well coached. I don't know if Coach Miller would even be considered for the head coaching gig at Katy but he wouldn't be a bad one at all if he did. As much as I would love for him to keep building Lewisville the realist in me knows it's only a matter of time before a better gig comes open and if he has a chance to go to a program with more depth and talent I hope he takes it. Lewisville was the best coached team in district last year they just don't have the depth or hirses to compete with some of the teams in this area or the state
                                      Me personally, just my opinion, could be 100000000% wrong....but if Katy wins it all this year........could he leave on a high note?
                                      As for Miller.....if they give him time....the way Johnston had time to build a program, he could be succesfull....remember, Johnston started 8-32 his first 4 years.
                                      Last edited by dada; 07-30-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Not saying Katy is "better than everyone and dont need transfers", but since 2006 the only transfers I remember are:
                                        Donovonn Young- Humble
                                        Logan Lister- California
                                        Ryan Jones- OOS
                                        I think this is probably pretty typical for a good football school, and the way it pretty much always worked until things started spinning a bit out of control elsewhere. Good football teams got a good kid every year or two from somewhere close by or legitimate out-of-state moves when a family was truly coming to lay roots in a new community. For the record, I wasn't trying to suggest that Katy is a blatant offender in my comment above.... my guess was that they were probably just pretty typical (though probably receive more families moving there at an early age for this reason compared to a 'regular' "good" football school).

Comment

• dada
                                          2nd Team
                                          • Apr 2015

I think this is probably pretty typical for a good football school, and the way it pretty much always worked until things started spinning a bit out of control elsewhere. Good football teams got a good kid every year or two from somewhere close by or legitimate out-of-state moves when a family was truly coming to lay roots in a new community. For the record, I wasn't trying to suggest that Katy is a blatant offender in my comment above.... my guess was that they were probably just pretty typical (though probably receive more families moving there at an early age for this reason compared to a 'regular' "good" football school).
                                          I knew what you meant and I agree with everything you just said.....Heck....even when my son was young I was told "If you want him to play for katy, you better get him into the Jr high system"....the "Move ins" come when they kids are young.

Comment

• SBBear
                                            2nd Team
                                            • Apr 2015

Part of me thinks like Dada, that possibly if he wins it all this year he could retire. However this is a lifer, his father was a lifer, he may just continue on. Miller is a very good football coach and I am glad you see that even though the record might not be where everyone likes it in Lewisville. I don't know if he would be interested in Katy or not, or even if the district would be interested, but that would not be a bad move. I am guessing Miller sees the progress and would more than likely stay to continue with the foundation he is laying there. Correct me if I am wrong but I sense that possibly a lot of the community up there sees what you see and would like the foundation to continue to be layed and eventually built. Dada makes a great point about Coach Johnston's beginnings in Katy, patience is eventually rewarded.

Comment

• Farmer
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Part of me thinks like Dada, that possibly if he wins it all this year he could retire. However this is a lifer, his father was a lifer, he may just continue on. Miller is a very good football coach and I am glad you see that even though the record might not be where everyone likes it in Lewisville. I don't know if he would be interested in Katy or not, or even if the district would be interested, but that would not be a bad move. I am guessing Miller sees the progress and would more than likely stay to continue with the foundation he is laying there. Correct me if I am wrong but I sense that possibly a lot of the community up there sees what you see and would like the foundation to continue to be layed and eventually built. Dada makes a great point about Coach Johnston's beginnings in Katy, patience is eventually rewarded.

trust me nobody is ready to run Miller out of town I hope he stays forever because eventually he will have something to work with and build on. He and his staff have done great things in this program and in a society where everything is measure by the bottom line of wins, I view this differently because he inherited a program that was in shambles. It was very bad when he arrived and he will have all the time he needs. Eventually though you need to have some horses and If he had a chance to take another position I wouldn't fault him for it at all. I've really enjoyed watching him build his program and incorporating a lot of the little things you see at Katy.

Comment

• ktCarl
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Apr 2015

Also, the Katy area is the fastest growing zip code in the Country so there are MANY move ins out here.

Comment

• Tut
                                                  Pick 'Em - '16 College Champ, National Runner Up, 6A Runner Up, - '15 6A Champ & College Runner Up
                                                  • Aug 2015

Donovonn Young- Humble
                                                  Logan Lister- California
                                                  Ryan Jones- OOS

? Isiah Brown - Judson ?
                                                  https://my.reason2race.com/JohnTuttle/TowneLakeTri2017

katystudentsrun.org/

Comment

• dada
                                                    2nd Team
                                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Tut

? Isiah Brown - Judson ?
                                                    Ahhhhhhh.....new I forgot some one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎