X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dada
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

Houston gets title games

News in Houston reporting that 10 State title games will be held at NRG stadium Dec 17-19th
  • BevoBo
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

I am glad for the change. If it all goes well, maybe they will consider a rotation. Katy should be happy, as I think they are pretty much a lock to be there, or good a lock as there is.

Comment

• sTp
      1st Team
      • Apr 2015

4f01f0774deee.gif

lol

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Time for Houston fans to show up and support these games and give the UIL reason to think about a continuous rotation. Since the UIL has forced the single site for title gsmes it's ink right that it rotates on a yearly basis. Let's hope you guys down there can represent well and bring in some good attendance numbers

Comment

• SLCbacker
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2015

Probably wouldn't have happened without the Cowboys conflict, but I am glad it did. The games should rotate venues between Dallas, SA, and Houston. The problem is the UIL makes a ton of money at Jerry World, and Jerry has the UIL in his pocket.

Comment

• TexasBob
            Hall of Fame
            • May 2015

First, I think that they should rotate the state championship games every 1 to 3 years between DFW Houston and San Antonio regardless of financial appeal.
            However I don’t think that the games will draw as many fans as the games in AT&T Stadium and here are my reasons.

The DFW metro area has a larger population than Metro Houston or Metro San Antonio. That means that more casual fans would attend in Metro DFW.

The Facilities:
            AT&T stadium is the best in the state and arguably in the USA.
            With a capacity of 80,000 and using the attendance of last year’s 6A D1 game of 48,000 the stadium was at 60% capacity

NRG Stadium is nice but the seats are small on all levels and not as comfortable as the second level at AT&T.
            With a capacity of 69,500 with 48,000 in attendance it would be 69% capacity.

I’ve seen some great games at the Alamodome but it is a little claustrophobic for my taste. I think it is the lower ceiling.
            With a capacity of 65,000 with 48,000 in attendance it would be at 75% capacity.

As the percent of capacity goes up the number of “good seats” goes down.

I think that the 2015 State games will have good attendance but not record setting attendance.

But, I still think it needs to on a rotating basis.
            Last edited by TexasBob; 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• dada
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by TexasBob
              First, I think that they should rotate the state championship games every 1 to 3 years between DFW Houston and San Antonio regardless of financial appeal.
              However I don’t think that the games will draw as many fans as the games in AT&T Stadium and here are my reasons.

The DFW metro area has a larger population than Metro Houston or Metro San Antonio. That means that more casual fans would attend in Metro DFW.

The Facilities:
              With a capacity of 80,000 and using the attendance of last year’s 6A D1 game of 48,000 the stadium was at 60% capacity

NRG Stadium is nice but the seats are small on all levels and not as comfortable as the second level at AT&T.

I’ve seen some great games at the Alamodome but it is a little claustrophobic for my taste. I think it is the lower ceiling.
              With a capacity of 65,000 with 48,000 in attendance it would be at 75% capacity.

I think that the 2015 State games will have good attendance but not record setting attendance.

IT also helps to have DFW teams in Title games. I don't think many traveled down to watch North Shore/ Woodlands at Rice back in 2003......Dekaney/Steele didnt do well in AT&T.....if you have a Katy/Westfield final for instance.....will the DFW fans travel to Houston the way GHA fans travel north?

Comment

• Farmer
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada

IT also helps to have DFW teams in Title games. I don't think many traveled down to watch North Shore/ Woodlands at Rice back in 2003......Dekaney/Steele didnt do well in AT&T.....if you have a Katy/Westfield final for instance.....will the DFW fans travel to Houston the way GHA fans travel north?

I am sure you will have some casual DFW fans that make the trek no matter where the game is. I can only speak for me but if I can't sit in a suite then I'll stay at home and watch from the comfort of my "COUCH" I just don't have any desire to fight the crowds at Jerry World because more than one game there is a nightmare.

What has helped the crowds being in Dallas is that you have had Allen represent DFW and with a population of close to 100K and having only one HS then you get a lot of supporters making the 45 mile trek to Jerry World. Allen would travel well to Houston or anywhere else for a title game but probably not as many as in Arlington and that goes for any school when playing in their backyard versus playing 3-5 hours away.

Last year having Ennis make it back helped with attendance too. Of all the programs I've seen play I'm not sure if I've ever seen a fan base represent like Ennis has in relation to the towns population. Ennis is a city of roughly 25K and last year they brought about 30K by themselves to the finals.

Last year you also had Temple back in the state championship for the first time since 1992 and that is one of the all time legendary programs in Texas. With them playing a local team in Aledo that helped with attendance too and I believe temple would have brought that crowd regardless if the game were in Houston or Dallas

Comment

• Grainraiser
                  Practice Squad
                  • Apr 2015

I'm looking forward to rolling down to Houston and watching a game at Reliant. I have always wanted to see a game at that stadium. I will be at the game regardless of who plays. Houston hosting the games will have huge impact on the future format. A small crowd will give it back to Jerry World forever.

Comment

• Eagle2
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Sure Katy fans are happy (lol).Gonna be interesting. Houston & rotation will be on the clock. If attendance is not adequate for UIL then we can be assured that its back to Jerry World. You know what you get at Jerry World.

Comment

• dada
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle2
                      Sure Katy fans are happy (lol).Gonna be interesting. Houston & rotation will be on the clock. If attendance is not adequate for UIL then we can be assured that its back to Jerry World. You know what you get at Jerry World.
                      Not really...Most Katy fans want/love San Antonio

Comment

• cougmantx
                        Practice Squad
                        • Jun 2015

Finally...the thing I like about Houston and/or San Antonio is you can buy reserved seating and stay in the same seat the whole time. Or at least in the past you could.

Comment

• Eagle2
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Not really...Most Katy fans want/love San Antonio
                          Did not know that. With all the talk the last years about Jerry World, travel, and home advantage thought for sure fans would favor Houston & NRG. Is the Alamadome really that favorable for football?

Comment

• dada
                            2nd Team
                            • Apr 2015

Did not know that. With all the talk the last years about Jerry World, travel, and home advantage thought for sure fans would favor Houston & NRG. Is the Alamadome really that favorable for football?
                            Players don't care.....it's fans. Katy fans would travel if they played the title game in El Paso. Alamodome has a 100 yard football field...that's all the players care about. Katy fans like San Antonio because it's usually an all weekend affair as opposed to driving to Jerry's world the day of the game and driving home afterwards...I also think there was an issue with teams having to sit on the bus because a game was in progress, and all locker rooms were in use.

Comment

• Eagle2
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

Players don't care.....it's fans. Katy fans would travel if they played the title game in El Paso. Alamodome has a 100 yard football field...that's all the players care about. Katy fans like San Antonio because it's usually an all weekend affair as opposed to driving to Jerry's world the day of the game and driving home afterwards...I also think there was an issue with teams having to sit on the bus because a game was in progress, and all locker rooms were in use.
                              ok makes sense. Agree. Bottom line is the players play the game on a 100 yd field and if fans really support their respective teams location is of no importance.

Comment

• dada
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

ok makes sense. Agree. Bottom line is the players play the game on a 100 yd field and if fans really support their respective teams location is of no importance.
                                And if you notice...it's only the fans who's teams make state finals that complain lol......we fans are spoiled.

Comment

• SLCbacker
                                  Special Teams
                                  • Apr 2015

Does anyone know the terms of the deal? It seems to me that NRG had tremendous leverage to get a 2-3 year deal. If they didn't, this thing is back a Jerry World next year, if the Cowboys aren't playing at home. Of course, not knowing the Texans schedule could prevent a multi year deal as well. Although it is less likely the Texans would be put in a National Saturday slot in late December.

What if there is a double NFL conflict in future years? Maybe DKR should be in the mix? I think the facilities there are better than the Alamodome, although it's open air.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLCbacker
                                    Does anyone know the terms of the deal? It seems to me that NRG had tremendous leverage to get a 2-3 year deal. If they didn't, this thing is back a Jerry World next year, if the Cowboys aren't playing at home. Of course, not knowing the Texans schedule could prevent a multi year deal as well. Although it is less likely the Texans would be put in a National Saturday slot in late December.

What if there is a double NFL conflict in future years? Maybe DKR should be in the mix? I think the facilities there are better than the Alamodome, although it's open air.
                                    I believe Jerry has a 1 yr extension on his deal, so it has to go back to Jerry. This nfl schedule mix up will not happen again. All at Jerry's headquarters will see to that. Jerry wants these games at his palace because of the profits and deep down quietly so does the UIL but they are trying to be equitable in this whole ordeal. But imagine if Jerry makes a ton so does the UIL that much more.

Comment

• ktCarl
                                      Special Teams
                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
                                      Time for Houston fans to show up and support these games and give the UIL reason to think about a continuous rotation. Since the UIL has forced the single site for title gsmes it's ink right that it rotates on a yearly basis. Let's hope you guys down there can represent well and bring in some good attendance numbers
                                      Katy always brings a crowd to NRG (Reliant).

Comment

• ktCarl
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Probably wouldn't have happened without the Cowboys conflict, but I am glad it did. The games should rotate venues between Dallas, SA, and Houston. The problem is the UIL makes a ton of money at Jerry World, and Jerry has the UIL in his pocket.
                                        I second the motion!!!

Actually, I prefer SA.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by ktCarl

Katy always brings a crowd to NRG (Reliant).
                                          Some interesting comments to make note of. Houston fans really need to bring it to secure & force the hand of UIL.

Comment

• Farmer
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

not really. Jerryworkd has seen big numbers the last 3 years and you can thank a lot of that to Allen. Substitute DeSoto or Skyline in for Allen and those numbers in the 50s turn in to numbers in the upper 30s to lower 40s and maybe not even that high.

Houston had a title game in 2003 that saw attendance reach over 40k at rice stadium and that was just for a single game

Comment

• SLCbacker
                                              Special Teams
                                              • Apr 2015

Some interesting comments to make note of. Houston fans really need to bring it to secure & force the hand of UIL.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasne...-houston.html/

Interesting article. I see a 5-10 year deal at ATT in the works starting next year. I expect a 10-20% drop in attendance YOY at NRG; which will help the UIL justify the ATT long-term lock.

I'm not for this. I do not think it is in the best interest, or spirit, of TXHSFB, but money talks. Hopefully the UIL will reinvest the money, and stop all the cheating going on with transfers.

If I were Katy, I'd start raising money now for rooms in DFW, so they don't have to make those long day trips to Arlington.
                                              Last edited by SLCbacker; 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• The King
                                                Practice Squad
                                                • Jul 2015

I Like the idea of it not being in Dallas for a change, but despite my poor view of the Alamodome I think under the current format San Antonio has the best option for attendance for many schools. It is more centrally located than Dallas or Houston

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Interesting article. I see a 5-10 year deal at ATT in the works starting next year. I expect a 10-20% drop in attendance YOY at NRG; which will help the UIL justify the ATT long-term lock.

I'm not for this. I do not think it is in the best interest, or spirit, of TXHSFB, but money talks. Hopefully the UIL will reinvest the money, and stop all the cheating going on with transfers.

If I were Katy, I'd start raising money now for rooms in DFW, so they don't have to make those long day trips to Arlington.
                                                  Yea lets be real and face it. Its all about $$$$$ and the almighty dollar. Reading the article it looks as if the UIL would prefer/favor ATT. Alamodome(San Antonio) for basketball and ATT(Arlington) for football.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                    All District
                                                    • Apr 2015

they also need to raise money to up their recruiting if they want to compete with cedar hill or whoever comes out of the I-20/U.S. 67 corridor

Comment

• SLCbacker
                                                      Special Teams
                                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

they also need to raise money to up their recruiting if they want to compete with cedar hill or whoever comes out of the I-20/U.S. 67 corridor
                                                      That's no lie! CHIll, Desoto, and Duncanville, are making even Allen look like choir boys.

Comment

• SLCbacker
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by TexasBob

The Facilities:

It is truly great to see you posting Bob. we missed your input in the community for too long

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

That's no lie! CHIll, Desoto, and Duncanville, are making even Allen look like choir boys.
                                                          lol

Comment

• CHill
                                                            1st Team
                                                            • Apr 2015

Nice try! Speaking to a person close to the program, this year has been no different then years past, five transfers and at least five departures. The biggest difference is the role the player will have to accept and buy into to be part of the team. A RB that makes the rotation in the backfield will average 6-8 carries a game which may be significantly less then what they're used too. WRs that play here have to be excellent down field blockers and be content with maybe 2-3 opportunities to catch a ball a game. The coaches can't control who shows up and enrolls, these players have go through the paperwork process with the DEC and if approve have very little time to impress the coaches before the first game.

Social media brings a lot attention to the schools where players transfer, especially the winning ones. The names that will bring attention this year have been here and through the program since middle school, A. Davis, J. Jackson and J. Stewart . Just be ready to play if you're team shows up on the schedule, because they will be!

Comment

Working...