X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BamaCrimsonTide
    Practice Squad
    • May 2015

Hey everyone, here is the final copy of my article

I have finally finished my article. And please remember, I am NOT an English/Journalism major, so don't expect writing you would find in a scholarly essay. I am still open to input, I am willing to make content changes if needed. I want a wide range of input on this. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this!
    2013 Aledo Bearcats vs 2008 Lake Travis Cavaliers

Both 2008 Lake Travis and 2013 Aledo went 16-0 and won the 4A state championships in their respective seasons and were consistently dominant with sizable margins of victory in their state championship games. Each team had great depth, as they were both at least two-deep at each position. Regardless of classification, both teams were among the best in the state in their seasons, and are both historically great Texas high school football teams. The question here is though, if the two teams were matched up against each other on a neutral field, who would come away with a victory?

Teams at a Glance
    Aledo
    Head Coach: Tim Buchanan
    Record: 16-0
    Points Scored: 1,023
    Points Allowed: 140

Lake Travis
    Head Coach: Chad Morris
    Record: 16-0
    Points Scored: 784
    Points Allowed: 256

Strength of Schedule

Aledo
    Top 100 Teams Played Against: 0
    Teams with a winning record: 11
    Average Opponent Rank (According to MaxPreps): 3,350
    Opponent Overall Win/Loss Record: 118-68

Lake Travis
    Top 100 Teams Played Against: 2
    Teams played against with a winning record: 13
    Average Opponent Rank (According to MaxPreps): 1,693
    Opponent Overall Win/Loss Record: 133-65
    While both squads had quality schedules, Lake Travis’ schedule gets the nod here. The Cavaliers faced off against two nationally ranked top 100 teams (according to HSFB 100 rankings), Longview (ranked #24), and Evangel Christian (ranked #83). Both were double digit victories for Lake Travis (beating Longview 48-23 and Evangel Christian 46-31). While Aledo had impressive victories against state semi-finalists Highland Park and Stephenville (winning 44-3 and 56-14, respectively) along with a dominant playoff run, the overall strength of schedule still lacks top to bottom quality. The weak spot of Aledo’s schedule is their district. Aledo’s district opponents had zero total playoff victories, while Lake Travis’ district opponents had a total of 7 playoff victories.
    Edge: Lake Travis

Quarterbacks

Luke Bishop
    Passing Yards: 2,699
    Passing Touchdowns: 37
    Interceptions: 2
    Completion Percentage: 70.48
    Rushing Yards: 756
    Rushing Touchdowns: 7

Garrett Gilbert
    Passing Yards: 4,851
    Passing Touchdowns: 55
    Interceptions: 6
    Completion Percentage: 69.3
    Rushing Yards: 767
    Rushing Touchdowns: 23
    Both quarterbacks were an integral part of their offenses, but Lake Travis’ record setting All-American Garrett Gilbert accounted for 2,163 yards more than Aledo’s Luke Bishop. While Gilbert was primarily a passer, he was also a force when running the ball. Aledo’s Luke Bishop was an excellent quarterback, but Garrett Gilbert was simply elite in 2008.

Running backs
    Lake Travis and Aledo both had an excellent group of running backs. The Cavalier’s backfield was led by the versatile Chris Aydam, who led the team in rushing with 798 yards on 112 carries with 11 touchdowns. Chris Aydam was an excellent receiver out of the backfield, hauling in 49 catches for 612 yards and 7 touchdowns. Aydam’s backup was junior and future Rice Owl Andy Erickson, with 546 yards on 69 carries with 6 touchdowns. The Bearcats backfield was led by junior running back Jess Anders. The University of Texas-San Antonio bound back led the Bearcats in rushing with 1,527 yards with 151 attempts and 35 touchdowns. Anders was also a weapon out of the backfield, as he accounted for 471 yards in receiving and 5 touchdowns. Next in line to Anders was Daythan Davis, who had 684 yards on 88 carries with 15 touchdowns. While both teams have quality backs, Aledo’s backfield gets the nod, as this group was more productive and just as balanced, and more prolific as this group accounted for more yards, touchdowns, and a higher yards per-carry average.
    Edge: Aledo

Wide Receivers
    Each team here had a quality group of wide receivers. Aledo’s wide receiver corps was led by Taco Anderson with 766 yards while Ryan Newsome led the group with the most touchdown receptions (10). The Lake Travis wide receiver corps was led by Cade McCrary, who had 1,711 yards receiving and 24 touchdown receptions. Second to McCrary in receiving yardage was Austin Pollard with 1,022 yards. Both teams had stout and deep receiving corps. Lake Travis’ wide receivers were not the fastest unit, but ran great routes and caught most of what was thrown their way. While Lake Travis likely had better depth top to bottom with three D1 caliber receivers (Cade Mccrary-Texas Walk-on, Austin Pollard-Tulsa, and Conner Floyd-Tulsa), Aledo has a narrow advantage due to their break-away speed and ability to get separation from defensive backs. Furthermore, Aledo’s versatile Ryan Newsome is probably the best athlete of all of the wide receivers between both teams.

Offensive Line
    Both the Bearcats and Cavaliers had offensive lines that controlled the line of scrimmage all season long. The Lake Travis line was led by future Texas Longhorn Paden Kelley, and the Aledo offensive line was anchored by Ernie Mcquade. The Bearcat offensive line pulverized teams up the middle and was freight train-like when running the ball. The offensive lines of both teams were excellent at opening up for the run game and blocking for the pass. While one could not go wrong with picking either offensive line, as both were extremely good and had virtually no weakness, the Lake Travis offensive line has the slight edge here given that they were not only powerful in the middle of the line (left guard to right guard) but also at Left Tackle, which provided for a stout offensive line all around.

Conclusion of the offenses
    The 2008 Lake Travis and 2013 Aledo football teams will both be looked back on as two high scoring, offensive machines. The 2013 Aledo offense was especially memorable, as they scored a record 1,023 points, which is an extremely impressive feat. The 2008 Lake Travis offense was special in their own right as they had an all-time great high school quarterback Garrett Gilbert with future D1 college coach Chad Morris. While the Aledo offensive boasted arguably a better set of weapons and a stronger run game, the Lake Travis offense was better in that they still had an excellent ground game, but the offense featured a truly game changing player at the most important position on offense, quarterback. And while Gilbert was an extraordinary player, he also had a quality supporting cast. Furthermore, the Lake Travis offense faced off and dominated against much better competition throughout the season.

• BamaCrimsonTide
    Practice Squad
    • May 2015

Defensive Line
    Aledo Defensive Line
    Tristan Stary-50 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 6 tackles for a loss
    Corey Stitle-66 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 6 tackles for a loss
    Ray Hart-58 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 6 tackles for a loss
    Zach Hyles-72 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 9 tackles for a loss

Lake Travis Defensive Line
    Ryan Erxleben-77 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 10 tackles for a loss
    Todd Perry-100 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 9 tackles for a loss
    Nick Whitehair-48 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 5 tackles for a loss
    Jon Michael Paul-74 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 8 tackles for a loss

Aledo and Lake Travis both had outstanding defensive lines in their respective seasons. While one could make a case as to who’s better, Lake Travis gets a slight edge given that they were the more disruptive bunch. The Cavalier defensive line recorded more tackles for a loss, caused more fumbles, and had more sacks. While it can be said that Aledo’s starting defenders played fewer snaps, the Lake Travis defensive line were of higher quality given they played against much tougher competition.

Linebackers
    The linebacking corps for both teams were solid and well-rounded. The Aledo linebackers were Tyson Mauser, Jordan Mittie, and Matthew Hawkins, who were more of a speedy bunch. The Lake Travis linebackers were Quinton Crow, Harry Hatch, and Rover (Safety/Linebacker hybrid) Ian Lazarus. Unlike Aledo, the Lake Travis linebackers were a more hard-nosed, hit the gap style bunch. While Lake Travis’ Quinton Crow was probably the best linebacker between both teams, the Bearcat linebackers get the nod here as they were top to bottom a slightly better group, as they were not only a better run stop group, but just as good as a coverage unit as well.

Defensive Backs
    The defensive backs for both the Bearcats and Cavaliers were both excellent against the pass and run. Both teams shut down some very good passing attacks. One notable performance by the Cavaliers’ secondary was in the state semifinal game against future D1 and dual threat QB Jacob Karam, who despite missing 2 games in the 2008 season, still had 37 passing TD and well over 3,000 yards passing. The Cavaliers allowed just one passing touchdown to Karam. Aledo also put on an impressive showing against Highland Park QB Brooks Burgin in the 2013 season opener, limiting the passing game to a measly 140 yards passing. While both defensive back units here had shut down ability and were neck and neck in defending the pass, Aledo gets the edge as they were better at defending against the run and were a slightly faster unit.

Conclusion of the defenses
    Lake Travis and Aledo both had excellent defenses. The 2008 Lake Travis team will always be remembered as a high octane offensive team, however, theyactually fielded a very stout defense that was tested and did well against tough competition throughout the season. Lake Travis actually had the better pass rush of the two teams (recording 47 sacks to Aledo’s 30). While Aledo faced weaker competition, their defense was slightly better rounded than Lake Travis’, they were as good as Lake Travis at defending the pass and better against the run (allowing only 7 rushing touchdowns all year long having faced 3 future D1 running backs).

Special Teams
    Aledo and Lake Travis both fielded very good special teams units. Aledo made 87% of field goals (13-15) and Lake Travis made 100% of field goals (3-3). Aledo’s longest field goal was 52 yards while Lake Travis’ longest was 47 yards. While Aledo made more field goals and Lake Travis kicked fewer, both field goal units are neck and neck. For punt returns, Aledo’s explosive Ryan Newsome brought back 7 of them for touchdowns, giving Aledo an advantage in punt returns. In PAT percentage, Aledo narrowly edges out Lake Travis again, having made 100% of PATs compared to 73 out of 76 made for Lake Travis. While Aledo has a better punt returner here and a better PAT percentage, Lake Travis had a far better punting game. Lake Travis’ punter (and defensive end) Ryan Erxleben averaged 44.3 yards per punt compared to Aledo’s average of 36.4 yards. Also, Lake Travis’ longest punt was 65 yards compared to Aledo’s longest of 45 yards. The Lake Travis special teams unit did not allow any kickoff returns for touchdowns in their entire season. While both special teams here have their strengths, Aledo has a narrow edge because they hit field goals from further out and were more consistent in kicking PATs.

Lake Travis Offense vs Aledo Defense

The Lake Travis offense was very prolific, but the Aledo defense was good enough to slow them down. The Lake Travis offensive line facing off against the Aledo defensive line is an intriguing match. The defensive line of Aledo was definitely good enough to put some pressure on Gilbert. Aledo was also quick off the edges, which would be a challenge to the Lake Travis tackles. While Aledo had excellent defensive backs, Lake Travis’ wide receivers were very good at improvising even when covered. The Lake Travis receivers were also fast enough to get separation from the Aledo defensive backs. Since Lake Travis had a quarterback who can beat you on the ground or through the air, and an offensive line that could neutralize the Aledo front 7, the Lake Travis offense wins this match up. Aledo did have a superb run defense, but Lake Travis set up the run with the pass. With Chad Morris at the helm calling the plays, his offense had success against anything defenses tried to do in 2008. Furthermore, QB Garrett Gilbert performed great even when being run down by a defender. The Bearcats would be able to slow down the Cavaliers, but the balanced Lake Travis offense would still move the ball.

Aledo Offense vs Lake Travis Defense
    Aledo’s offense was also a faced paced unit that scored a lot and quickly. In match up in the trenches, between the Aledo offensive line and the Lake Travis defensive line, it would be a real fight. The Lake Travis defensive line was very strong, especially in the middle. While the Cavalier defensive line was tough, Aledo would be able to break into the next level still with their run game. As for the Aledo wide receivers against Lake Travis’ defensive backs, the Aledo wide receivers would have success early in the game. The Lake Travis secondary might get beat deep once or twice, but they would be able to slow down the Aledo receivers substantially. One area that could cause problems for the Bearcat’s offense is the Cavalier pass rush, which was extremely good. Like Lake Travis, Aledo’s offense found ways to move the ball even when opposing defenses had great schemes. Aledo’s offense also featured a dual threat QB in Luke Bishop. While Lake Travis would limit the Aledo offense, Aledo gets the edge in this match up because of the strength of their running game and the overall balance of their offense.

Conclusion
    A match-up between these two teams would be fun to watch. Since it is a clash of different styles and philosophies, it makes this match up even more exciting. Each team also had special teams units that were neck and neck, which is another factor that keeps this game close. In a neutral site match, Lake Travis comes away with the victory. While Aledo had more team speed and better overall statistics, Lake Travis was far more tested year around, playing a much tougher schedule top to bottom and dominating virtually all opponents. Additionally, Lake Travis had a coaching advantage with Chad Morris, which would be a tipping point in this game. The score of this game would be in the neighborhood of 35-31, Lake Travis.
    Overall: Lake Travis
    Last edited by BamaCrimsonTide; 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

That's great information, thanks!

Comment

• Defense Wins Championship
        Practice Squad
        • Jun 2015

Bama, my head is spinning....great stuff! The 2011 LT/Aledo game was one of my favorite LT games...of all time.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
          Practice Squad
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Defense Wins Championship
          Bama, my head is spinning....great stuff! The 2011 LT/Aledo game was one of my favorite LT games...of all time.

Thanks for reading DWC! LTs longest FG was actually 47 yards, not 33. So the special teams are even closer now

now if I could get Ltcav83, LT shark, LTcavdad, to read it

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
            Special Teams
            • Apr 2015

I was at that game. Reminded me of 2005 SLC-Abilene. Abilene/Aledo were very good teams that just ran into absolute buzzsaws. When teams are that good and happen to have one of those nights where they are highly motivated and hitting on every cylinder it is really something to watch.

Comment

Practice Squad
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

I was at that game. Reminded me of 2005 SLC-Abilene. Abilene/Aledo were very good teams that just ran into absolute buzzsaws. When teams are that good and happen to have one of those nights where they are highly motivated and hitting on every cylinder it is really something to watch.

You saw a great one along with a very large LT contingent up at Aledo. You're right...the LT boys were pusses that Aledo snapped a 48 game winning streak in 2010, 14-10. 2011 touted as LT's most talented skilled set of players on O and the best overall D on all time...combined with a little motivation!

Comment

• svhorns
                All State
                • Apr 2015

Hey! Good stuff Bama!

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                  Practice Squad
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
                  Hey! Good stuff Bama!

Thanks for reading! It's beens hard to get people to read it (I would assume because its long and the matchup isn't as interesting as I thought)

Do you think I wrote this article fair? I've been told it seems a little slanted but I disagree

Also, do you agree with the final conclusion (basically the who wins and why)?

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

You saw a great one along with a very large LT contingent up at Aledo. You're right...the LT boys were pusses that Aledo snapped a 48 game winning streak in 2010, 14-10. 2011 touted as LT's most talented skilled set of players on O and the best overall D on all time...combined with a little motivation!

Well, gee, I wouldn't call them pusses. Looked like a tough bunch to me...

Comment

Practice Squad
                      • Jun 2015

Well...they were!

Damn spell check 😜🔫!

Comment

Practice Squad
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BamaCrimsonTide

Thanks for reading! It's beens hard to get people to read it (I would assume because its long and the matchup isn't as interesting as I thought)

Do you think I wrote this article fair? I've been told it seems a little slanted but I disagree

Also, do you agree with the final conclusion (basically the who wins and why)?

Speaking for SV...because I'm his son....damn right he agrees with your conclusion!

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                          Practice Squad
                          • May 2015

Speaking for SV...because I'm his son....damn right he agrees with your conclusion!

I'm sure he does DWC lol!

The only negative thing with the article is the lack of discussion. I've been trying hard to create discussion on boards over this, but no one is that interested

Comment

Practice Squad
                            • Jun 2015

The only negative thing with the article is the lack of discussion. I've been trying hard to create discussion on boards over this, but no one is that interested

yeah.....Aledo has no fans on this board and LT has about 5-10 depending on whether they are winning or not 😜. Other than that, you have the contingent from the top 10 perennial powerhouses who could give a flip about LT & Aledo!

What stands out to me is the point variance between O & D between the two teams isn't even close, BUT, you did a nice job pointing out the SOS of the 2 teams and their performances vs. those top teams. This was the transition year for LT's D from subpar to respectable (not excellent).

Comment

• svhorns
                              All State
                              • Apr 2015

I do agree but let me be honest with you. You have nothing that's appealing to the eye. I'd like to see some comparative stats in a table or graph form. It's a lot of reading so if I want to do some comparative analysis it's a lot of going back and forth and your making me use my brain, the less effort one has to put in to come to a conclusion the better you have done explaining both teams.

I understand message boards are very limited on what you can do but I'm sure you could muster up something in either power point or excel for some numbers to go along with your article. Screen shot it if you have to.

This is only my opinion though and I might be in the minority on my idea. Like I stated before though very well written and informative article.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                                Practice Squad
                                • May 2015

I do agree but let me be honest with you. You have nothing that's appealing to the eye. I'd like to see some comparative stats in a table or graph form. It's a lot of reading so if I want to do some comparative analysis it's a lot of going back and forth and your making me use my brain, the less effort one has to put in to come to a conclusion the better you have done explaining both teams.

I understand message boards are very limited on what you can do but I'm sure you could muster up something in either power point or excel for some numbers to go along with your article. Screen shot it if you have to.

This is only my opinion though and I might be in the minority on my idea. Like I stated before though very well written and informative article.

Well I set it up where the analysis could be done without the use of a lot of stats. The reason is SOS, Aledo will have a great statistical advantage (mainly in margin of victory, ppg, and ppg allowed)

So one can look at the stats and say well Aledo was likely better but the content of the article says otherwise

The stats are definitely there so getting them is not an issue. In an analysis without stats I could see where nothing is truly appealing, because most people want to scan instead of read and get right to the numbers (the numbers are easy to read and understand). Another reason for my style here is that I'm used to academic writing.

I would like to discuss the match up. What do you think would happen if the two teams met? Who would have a good day/bad day? My opinion is in the article, Inrerested to see what you and others think

Comment

• svhorns
                                  All State
                                  • Apr 2015

Well I set it up where the analysis could be done without the use of a lot of stats. The reason is SOS, Aledo will have a great statistical advantage (mainly in margin of victory, ppg, and ppg allowed)

So one can look at the stats and say well Aledo was likely better but the content of the article says otherwise

The stats are definitely there so getting them is not an issue. In an analysis without stats I could see where nothing is truly appealing, because most people want to scan instead of read and get right to the numbers (the numbers are easy to read and understand). Another reason for my style here is that I'm used to academic writing.

I would like to discuss the match up. What do you think would happen if the two teams met? Who would have a good day/bad day? My opinion is in the article, Inrerested to see what you and others think
                                  I completely agree with everything you said, 100 percent. When writing a piece like this the point is to create discussion. You have people like me who like to look at numbers side by side and others who chose to read the article and form their opinion from the writer. The larger audience you can appeal to the better IMO. If you're main focus is to prove that Lake Travis was the better team you did great but I feel you're leaving out the readers who do prefer statistical analysis out of the discussion, whether it be laziness from them for having to read or becuase that's what they generally prefer. I guess what Im trying to say is even if some of the numbers go against your argument, it doesn't matter becuase it's YOUR article. Writers who take the a bold stance even if it's going against the grain of the numbers are the writers who get the most discussion. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are masters of going against the grain.

To answer your question I dont think anyone could have beat a Chad Morris offensive lead by Garrett Gilbert. That includes the 2 state champions in the class above them.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                                    Practice Squad
                                    • May 2015

I completely agree with everything you said, 100 percent. When writing a piece like this the point is to create discussion. You have people like me who like to look at numbers side by side and others who chose to read the article and form their opinion from the writer. The larger audience you can appeal to the better IMO. If you're main focus is to prove that Lake Travis was the better team you did great but I feel you're leaving out the readers who do prefer statistical analysis out of the discussion, whether it be laziness from them for having to read or becuase that's what they generally prefer. I guess what Im trying to say is even if some of the numbers go against your argument, it doesn't matter becuase it's YOUR article. Writers who take the a bold stance even if it's going against the grain of the numbers are the writers who get the most discussion. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are masters of going against the grain.

To answer your question I dont think anyone could have beat a Chad Morris offensive lead by Garrett Gilbert. That includes the 2 state champions in the class above them.

I may put some tables in there, just have to decide where is the place to put them

And yes i agree, LT was the best team in 08. Wish they would have played Stony Point

I picked a final score of 35-31, does that sound about right or higher scoring/lower scoring?

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎