X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • belikeme
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2015

UIL Athletic Transfer Eligibility Rules

Okay, this seems to be a hot topic. Let's discuss.
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

I like the idea assigning another district as the dec and would change it to where it would randomly assigned each year as to which district operated as the dec.

I'm not opposed to sitting out a year either and think that's probably the best way to control what's going on

Comment

• BevoBo
      Special Teams
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
      I like the idea assigning another district as the dec and would change it to where it would randomly assigned each year as to which district operated as the dec.
      I'm not opposed to sitting out a year either and think that's probably the best way to control what's going on

When the UIL realigns districts every 2 yrs, the can do the same for the DEC...randomly. Of course this is not full proof and still relying on people to determine the facts as best they can and parents/students to be honest. Not perfect, but a fair plan.

Mandatory sitting out a year would definitely keep athletic transfers down, but would penalize those moving for real reasons, job, family, better school/academics, but at least everyone transfering would have to factor this in their decision making process. If this was the rule, would the DEC be needed any longer? You could save money if this is all they do. Just saying.

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

When the UIL realigns districts every 2 yrs, the can do the same for the DEC...randomly. Of course this is not full proof and still relying on people to determine the facts as best they can and parents/students to be honest. Not perfect, but a fair plan.

Mandatory sitting out a year would definitely keep athletic transfers down, but would penalize those moving for real reasons, job, family, better school/academics, but at least everyone transfering would have to factor this in their decision making process. If this was the rule, would the DEC be needed any longer? You could save money if this is all they do. Just saying.
        Right! It would be harsh to make them sit out a year especially for those moves for legit purposes but it would also cut down on the loopholes in the current rules that allow the simple reason of moving for work purposes.

If you went to the everybody sits a year then yes it would do away with the DECs

Comment

• Greenbritches
          Practice Squad
          • Apr 2015

No DEC needed. You transfer in you play JV for the remainder or the next SCHOOL year depending on move time and sport.
          For instance kid moves in during football season 2014 he plays jv for the rest of that season and can play varsity in 2015.
          Move in after football season you play JV for the following season.
          Easy solution.
          Exemptions for military

Comment

• BevoBo
            Special Teams
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Greenbritches
            No DEC needed. You transfer in you play JV for the remainder or the next SCHOOL year depending on move time and sport.
            For instance kid moves in during football season 2014 he plays jv for the rest of that season and can play varsity in 2015.
            Move in after football season you play JV for the following season.
            Easy solution.Exemptions for military
            Agreed! Well guys, I think we have solved the problem and saved the State or School district money at the same time. Well Done!

Comment

• JagFan
              1st Team
              • Apr 2015

Right! It would be harsh to make them sit out a year especially for those moves for legit purposes but it would also cut down on the loopholes in the current rules that allow the simple reason of moving for work purposes.

If you went to the everybody sits a year then yes it would do away with the DECs

Do the DEC deal with desipline of ccoachesand players too? I know when a coach is ejected or a player is ejected the UIL looks at it. Does it skip the DEC and go straight to State Executive Committee?

Comment

• Eagle82
                All District
                • Apr 2015

I am an old fart but if I recall, back in the early 80's unless you were a senior, move-in's had to play JV a year.

With the amount of money these NFL contracts pay these days, it's only going to worsen from a high school level. Of course most parents want what's best for their children but in this case, some parents of the athletically gifted kids will make sure their kids have maximum exposure. Heck, even on a college level you're starting to see transfers for athletic purposes. Wonder if the NCAA will eventually address that potential issue.

Comment

• CHill
                  1st Team
                  • Apr 2015

Allen coach said's no problem with transfer Seth Green. http://bit.ly/1zV0YNC

Comment

• sTp
                    1st Team
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Jrstar
                    Allen coach said's no problem with transfer Seth Green. http://bit.ly/1zV0YNC
                    "Nothing to see here, move along.."

The more I think about it, the more I'm a fan of the year sit out rule, and for all UIL activities, not just athletics.

Comment

• CHill
                      1st Team
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

"Nothing to see here, move along.."

The more I think about it, the more I'm a fan of the year sit out rule, and for all UIL activities, not just athletics.

Unfortunately being a fan for a year to sit out won't apply in this transfer and a lot of other transfers these days.

Comment

• sTp
                        1st Team
                        • Apr 2015

Unfortunately being a fan for a year to sit out won't apply in this transfer and a lot of other transfers these days.
                        Are you referring to the Green transfer specifically, or another transfer?

Comment

• CHill
                          1st Team
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

Are you referring to the Green transfer specifically, or another transfer?

More then not, transfers are sign-off and approve by the DEC's. This transfer (Green) is an out of state elite player that draws attention and will be approve because employment reasons of the move it's self. I don't think the problem with transfers has anything to do with UIL rules, the fault lies with the parents that transfer their kids for athletic purposes only. MOP

Comment

• sTp
                            1st Team
                            • Apr 2015

More then not, transfers are sign-off and approve by the DEC's. This transfer (Green) is an out of state elite player that draws attention and will be approve because employment reasons of the move it's self. I don't think the problem with transfers has anything to do with UIL rules, the fault lies with the parents that transfer their kids for athletic purposes only. MOP
                            I still wonder if there is any connection to Kevin Murray in this specific instance with Seth Green..

Comment

• Super B
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

Eventually enough becomes enough and i wouldn't be too shocked if some future DEC meetings are a little more spirited than they have been when it comes to Allen. While they may not be accused of recruiting I'm sure some questions will be asked going forward.
                              Then again it just may continue to be like it is now and is nothing is dine
                              I am not sure I have faith in the Plano and Lewisville ISD schools. They have been in a district with Allen for quite sometime and are the ones continuing to allow these transfers.

I like what has been suggested above by BevoBo. I would take,it one step further and cross classification assign a DEC. A DEC made up of 7-6A coaches, administrators would serve as the DEC for 6-5A. These could be changed EVERY year if necessary, and there would be there would be no matching up. So if 7-6A people serve as a DEC for 6-5A, that same period, 6-5A people would not serve as the DEC for 7-6A people. May 6-5A is DEC for 4-6A that year. 6A reviews 5A, 5A reviews 6A, 4A reviews 3A, 3A reviews 4A, etc... That way, there is virtually zero impact on decisions made. 6A district people would not benefit from decision made on 5A. The only exception would be if a 5A player were moving to a 6A school or vice versa.

I know none of these suggestions will probably ever happen, but the point is, there are better ways it can be done.
                              Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

One way that might help, is for the default to be that a transferring student athlete be required to play JV for a season, but can appeal to play Varsity. In this situation the burden of proof shift to the parents/new school to show the move is not for athletic reasons. The default would be to lose one year of eligibility from Varsity. It would be completely up to the parent/new school to fill out appeal paperwork and get it submitted along with whatever they think "proves" their case. The burden of proof needs to go beyond, "because they said so".
                                Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                                  One way that might help, is for the default to be that a transferring student athlete be required to play JV for a season, but can appeal to play Varsity. In this situation the burden of proof shift to the parents/new school to show the move is not for athletic reasons. The default would be to lose one year of eligibility from Varsity. It would be completely up to the parent/new school to fill out appeal paperwork and get it submitted along with whatever they think "proves" their case. The burden of proof needs to go beyond, "because they said so".
                                  Agree with a lot of this especially the end. It's too easy to gain eligibility these days and all one has to do is hope the former coach does not mark the PAPF that the player is leaving for athletic purposes and then it's smooth sailing.
                                  I like your idea and I would also add that the review committee be made up of 7 ADs or coaches picked at random from other regions of the state.

Comment

Working...