What was it that transcended your program?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

What was it that transcended your program?

I was thinking today about programs that were able to take the next step to go from bad to good or good to great. I was thinking of Duncanville and how in 1996 Bob Alpert came in and was able to implement is I formation attack to fit the talent at Duncanvilke and eventually win a state title.

What was it that took your program to heightens it had never before experienced?
  • BevoBo
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

Well for Trinity, I think it was the hire of coach Lineweaver. Trinity, like a lot of teams would have a good year/years from time to time, but nothing consistent until Lineweaver came along. The influx of Tongans to the Euless area definitely helped too, but that started even before he was hired. Lineweaver had a good track record at other schools, so the biggest impact would be Lineweaver first, and next the big tongans that helped establish Trinity as a power running team.

IMO Trinity held a distinct advantage early,mid and late 2000's with the size of there OL/DL, but that is not true anymore with the Allen's, Desoto's, Cedar Hill and many other good teams in the area. The good teams have definitely caught up and equalized that advantage they once held.

Comment

• BevoBo
      Special Teams
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
      I was thinking today about programs that were able to take the next step to go from bad to good or good to great. I was thinking of Duncanville and how in 1996 Bob Alpert came in and was able to implement is I formation attack to fit the talent at Duncanvilke and eventually win a state title.

What was it that took your program to heightens it had never before experienced?

Farmer, did you get my PM that I sent you?

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
        Well for Trinity, I think it was the hire of coach Lineweaver. Trinity, like a lot of teams would have a good year/years from time to time, but nothing consistent until Lineweaver came along. The influx of Tongans to the Euless area definitely helped too, but that started even before he was hired. Lineweaver had a good track record at other schools, so the biggest impact would be Lineweaver first, and next the big tongans that helped establish Trinity as a power running team.

IMO Trinity held a distinct advantage early,mid and late 2000's with the size of there OL/DL, but that is not true anymore with the Allen's, Desoto's, Cedar Hill and many other good teams in the area. The good teams have definitely caught up and equalized that advantage they once held.
        he really did take you all to an elite level and did so very quickly. I know I've said a lot of mean things in the past but he is one of the all time greats. Hickman had a damn good team in 1998 and 1999, it's a shame you guys didn't get Duncanville on a neutral field in the 2nd round in '98

Comment

• sTp
          1st Team
          • Apr 2015

The more I think about it the more I come back to coaching.

2007 was our first district championship (I think) as well as our first Area round playoff game.. (Loss to Westfield in the 2nd round)

(2008-2010) Were our big years. We should have beat Allen, but looking back on it all, the Trinity scores were probably too close..

Comment

• Farmer
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

The more I think about it the more I come back to coaching.

2007 was our first district championship (I think) as well as our first Area round playoff game.. (Loss to Westfield in the 2nd round)

(2008-2010) Were our big years. We should have beat Allen, but looking back on it all, the Trinity scores were probably too close..
            I was at both Trinity gsmes. Both were phenomenal. I thought the game at Waco ISD in 2009 was your better chance to win. Trinity and their fake punts

Comment

• Eagle2
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Part of it has to start with coaching.
              In the last five seasons DeSoto has won at least 10 games. In seven seasons DeSoto was 74-18 under previous coach Mathis and made two state semifinal appearances in '12&'13 losing to eventual state champion Allen and lost again last year to Allen. Before this time in 3 seasons DeSoto's Meadow only won 25 games with no further progress in the playoffs. Consistent success breeds winning and consistent winning breeds attitude, desire, and heart from athletes which will carryover to championships that breeds to the second part the athletes. Wanting to play and compete in the program. The third part is the school and community. Playing and defeating quality teams like Trinity, Southlake, and competing and eventually losing to the state champion three straight years would be the start for this program, being the first in school history to do so.

Comment

• sTp
                1st Team
                • Apr 2015

I was at both Trinity gsmes. Both were phenomenal. I thought the game at Waco ISD in 2009 was your better chance to win. Trinity and their fake punts
                Agreed. We should have gone ahead at the 2009 game, but fake punter Lineweaver had other plans. As much as I hated to watch it, it was a brilliant move.. gah..

2010 was just brutal.. Trinity's o'line was frikin huge..

When I said that the scores were too close I meant that we (as much as I hate to say it) didn't have much of a chance. I feel like we were simply out manned..
                Last edited by sTp; 06-13-2015, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                  Special Teams
                  • Apr 2015

Coaching !!

We went to the Regional finals in 2006 and had a run of athletes up until 2012. "Transcended" is EXACTLY the term. We hired a coach that we had beat in the 2006 playoffs 56-28 or somesuch, and underwhelmed until he left in Spring of 2014. One and done until that 2012 second round exit. Striped the program of it's traditions, but he did sell a hell of a lot of Advocare.

The 2015 season will be our 20th and we are still searching for identity. When I think of 2006 and my boys in the 8th,6th,and 4th grades and the Traditions that existed, I recall an excitement that had "transcended" a PED controversy, a board led by divisive Fiona Sigala, and the "Colleywood" attitude of our community. We were ready for the next step!! Just not backwards.

Last year Allman started the change and it was welcome but awkward. This year, we get a bonafide Rock Star in Wills. It will take time. But it will happen, another good run of athletes coming.

I'm all in with Coach Willis, he will turn it around.

Comment

• Defense Wins Championship
                    Practice Squad
                    • Jun 2015

Dicus. His OCD/zero tolerance/all in approach combined with the buy in of the athletes, coaches, faculty, parents and community all contributed to LT's success. That buy in helped provide programming at all levels at LTISD and the financial resources through fundraising to upgrade the facilities/weight room, etc. it took about 2 full years of hard work to create that infrastructure and reap the rewards of all of those efforts.

Comment

• north shore mike
                      Practice Squad
                      • May 2015

For North Shore it was no doubt the hiring of David Aymond in 1994. Prior to the hiring, NS was a whipping boy since their existence. I listed some of the accomplishments since his hiring and would also like to note that his first 2 years were losing records but from 1996 till today; NS has always been a factor and one of the top programs in the state of Texas..... David Aymond 1994-2014 - 20 Seasons
                      North Shore recorded 208 wins and 43 losses
                      TEAM LANDMARKS
                      • 20 straight playoff seasons
                      • 14District Championships
                      • 10 perfect regular seasons
                      • 8 consecutive, undefeated regular seasons in 2001 through 2008
                      • Won 58 straight district games
                      • Set state record of 78 regular season wins in 2008
                      • State Semi-Finalists (13-1) in 1996
                      • State Semi-Finalists (14-1) in 2007
                      • 5A Division I State Championship (16-0} in 2003
                      I would also like to note that the 2003 team might arguably be the best High School team ever. I remember that on several occasions even in the State Semi Final game against Westlake in which NS was given no chance, that they had to run the clock in the second half so the score would not of gotten out of control.

Comment

• Farmer
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by north shore mike
                        For North Shore it was no doubt the hiring of David Aymond in 1994. Prior to the hiring, NS was a whipping boy since their existence. I listed some of the accomplishments since his hiring and would also like to note that his first 2 years were losing records but from 1996 till today; NS has always been a factor and one of the top programs in the state of Texas..... David Aymond 1994-2014 - 20 Seasons
                        North Shore recorded 208 wins and 43 losses
                        TEAM LANDMARKS
                        • 20 straight playoff seasons
                        • 14District Championships
                        • 10 perfect regular seasons
                        • 8 consecutive, undefeated regular seasons in 2001 through 2008
                        • Won 58 straight district games
                        • Set state record of 78 regular season wins in 2008
                        • State Semi-Finalists (13-1) in 1996
                        • State Semi-Finalists (14-1) in 2007
                        • 5A Division I State Championship (16-0} in 2003
                        I would also like to note that the 2003 team might arguably be the best High School team ever. I remember that on several occasions even in the State Semi Final game against Westlake in which NS was given no chance, that they had to run the clock in the second half so the score would not of gotten out of control.
                        Great post NS Mike. I'm glad you found this board.
                        I remember being nervous in 96 about TE thought of playing Yall in the state championship game. You guys were loaded that year with Cedric Comier and Cory Redding

Comment

• mojotrain
                          2nd Team
                          • Jun 2015

Thanks Farmer. the thread is the exact opposite of what happened to Permian?. A question I fielded many times over the last several years. By and large, the reply's so far point out that a successful climb up is created by a coaching change. It was hard to get people to believe that Permian's giant fall was caused by a coaching change. Many pronounced the fall do to a oil field bust.

This is a question I wish I had thought of several years back. Thanks again.

Comment

• Farmer
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
                            Thanks Farmer. the thread is the exact opposite of what happened to Permian?. A question I fielded many times over the last several years. By and large, the reply's so far point out that a successful climb up is created by a coaching change. It was hard to get people to believe that Permian's giant fall was caused by a coaching change. Many pronounced the fall do to a oil field bust.

This is a question I wish I had thought of several years back. Thanks again.
                            No problem sir!

Would you say it was Mayes or Mills that began the decline?

Comment

• Eagle2
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Defense Wins Championship
                              Dicus. His OCD/zero tolerance/all in approach combined with the buy in of the athletes, coaches, faculty, parents and community all contributed to LT's success. That buy in helped provide programming at all levels at LTISD and the financial resources through fundraising to upgrade the facilities/weight room, etc. it took about 2 full years of hard work to create that infrastructure and reap the rewards of all of those efforts.
                              Interesting about Dicus' approach and success in Austin, but failure in Duncanville. Would speculate failure because of buy in factors you mentioned?Or was there another something or unknown factor? That's why it will be interesting to see what Samples does.Most successful coaches will have success regardless. Very Interesting.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                Special Teams
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle2
                                Interesting about Dicus' approach and success in Austin, but failure in Duncanville. Would speculate failure because of buy in factors you mentioned?Or was there another something or unknown factor? That's why it will be interesting to see what Samples does.Most successful coaches will have success regardless. Very Interesting.
                                Not all the time.

And Dicus had quiet a staff at LT if you recall. Plus the buy in of the community.

Comment

• Defense Wins Championship
                                  Practice Squad
                                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Eagle2
                                  No doubt about the different outcomes. I guess it comes down to " how the receiver" of this vision handles it and whether or not it is executed. LT wasn't exactly a hotbed of D1 talent when they went 0-10....nor are they today. Duncanville is loaded with talent. LT knows that it's only chance at success is TEAM with a bunch of smart, overachievers. If Duncanville were "all in" with that talent...I have no doubt they would have gotten it done.

The downside to Dicus' approach is...there is a breaking point when that much pressure and stress is put on a program.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Defense Wins Championship

No doubt about the different outcomes. I guess it comes down to " how the receiver" of this vision handles it and whether or not it is executed. LT wasn't exactly a hotbed of D1 talent when they went 0-10....nor are they today. Duncanville is loaded with talent. LT knows that it's only chance at success is TEAM with a bunch of smart, overachievers. If Duncanville were "all in" with that talent...I have no doubt they would have gotten it done.

The downside to Dicus' approach is...there is a breaking point when that much pressure and stress is put on a program.
                                    Valid points on all accounts. less talent but team overachievers. talent , no buy in, and most of all pressure and stress, especially on program (to win) and coaching staff.

Comment

• mojotrain
                                      2nd Team
                                      • Jun 2015

No problem sir!

Would you say it was Mayes or Mills that began the decline?
                                      The school board brought Mayes in following his two 3-7 seasons in Ennis,,,I think. That record was a pretty good Indian sign to me of what the future held. He lived three or four years off of the program established by those before him. To his credit, either knowing or un-knowing he was hamstrung by the school board and their equal opportunity plans for OHS and Permian. The program died during his tenure. Another major detractor was his loyalty to his staff, most of which were not ready to coach at this level. He was however a expert as a scout for future Permian opponent's when he was on Wilkins staff.

Mills didn't kill the program, it was gone when he arrived and obviously he didn't have the time or couldn't re-build it. Truthfully the chemistry wasn't there. Readers can take that for what it's worth. The severe injury to one of his players also burdened his efforts here.

To make this post relative to your question, The entry of coach Allman brought us back to the top of the district in a very short stay. We hit the skids again when he left. IMO Feldt has the long black line on target to finish what Allman started. Here's hoping that by December I can add to this question you proposed.

Comment

Working...