X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Greatest championship game performance you've ever seen

After watching the first 3 games of the NBA finals and seeing how well Lebron has played so far, it got me to thinking, what is the greatest individual perfoanc right you've ever seen in a state championship game?

For me it would have to be Odell James of Aldine MacArthur in the 1993 5A division 2 championship. In a losing effort this man ran for 200 and threw for 200 yards against a team that hadn't surrendered a 100 yard rusher all year.

What are some of yalls?
  • OakTreeOut-n-Up
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

Great question, I'll have to think about it more later today. I can remember hoping that Odell James was going to turn Baylor around.... unfortunately that didn't happen.

J Gray's 8 TDs vs LaMarque, Kyler going for 470+ & 5 TDs vs Pearland come to mind off the top of my head. I didn't see a whole ton of championship games before they started being held at a centralized location.

Comment

• mojotrain
      2nd Team
      • Jun 2015

In a championship game, for me Jerry Hix in 1980 against Port Arthur Jefferson. But that's not my pick as favorite all time all Permian performances.

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
        In a championship game, for me Jerry Hix in 1980 against Port Arthur Jefferson. But that's not my pick as favorite all time all Permian performances.
        Did Hix go both ways for Permian that year?

Comment

• pied
          2nd Team
          • Apr 2015

In addition to Odell James in the '93 game, I'd mention Chad Nelson on the winning side of the battle. Don't think it was quite the one man show, but it was a great game.

Don't have stats, but Eric Gray for Aldine against Lamar in '90.

Cedric Benson in '97 against SA MacArthur(not really fair)

Comment

Overall? Jonathan Gray for Aledo in 2010. 300+ yards and eight touchdowns against Lamarque.

Not 6A though, I'll have to think about that one.

Comment

• SBBear
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Adam Taylor against CHILL 2012, one man wrecking ball

Comment

William Cole, Cedar Hill 2006. 300 yards rushing. I was on the sidelines for that one and it was a sight to behold.

Comment

• AllenEaglesFan
                  Special Teams
                  • May 2015

Sure I'm a little bias but the 2008 state game between Allen and HIghtower will always be the best I have ever attended. Starting QB Matt Brown was knocked out of the game in the semi-finals and backup Tucker Carter came in to finish that game with a win. Hightower did everything they could to knock Tucker out, even smacking in the face so hard he was bleeding but he got up and threw completions and won the game.
                  Go Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• some eagle fan
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

1994 - Plano East vs Tyler John Tyler. Most wild ass finish to any championship game ever! Take your pick on who had the best/most wild ass plays. Maybe Roderick Dunn for returning the final kick 93 yards to steal the win after he muffed two onside kicks.
                    Last edited by some eagle fan; 06-12-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Not talking about games. What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen

Comment

• mojotrain
                        2nd Team
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

Did Hix go both ways for Permian that year?
                        Good grief Farmer, you got me. I don't remember him playing a down of defense but he had the gut's to do so. Wilkins was known to throw a O guy in the line of fire on D to help Quell a threat.That defense threw 10 shutouts and held those who did score to just over 4 points a game average. I may be wrong but I think it was a offensive player that shut down Duhon in the second half. If I'm wrong you can count on seeing it right here. The kids name was Mike George.

Comment

• Grainraiser
                          Practice Squad
                          • Apr 2015

I would have to go with either Will Cole or Adam Taylor.

Comment

• KT2000
                            Practice Squad
                            • Jun 2015

QB Kelan Luker (Stephenville) vs La Marque in 98

Luker was the original master of Art Briles' offense, and La Marque was in its heyday when the record setting 98 Jackets torched them.

RB Cedric Benson (Midland Lee) vs Eisenhower 99 and Austin Westlake 200

WR Damarkus Lodge (Cedar Hill) vs Katy 2013 and 2014.

QB Bralon Addison (FB Hightower) vs Southlake Carroll

QB Will Cole (Cedar Hill) vs Cy Falls 2006

RB Adam Taylor (Katy) vs Cedar Hill 2012

QB Ronnell Sims (Abilene) vs Katy 2009

Best non-TX: QB Anquan Boldin (Pahokee FL) vs Jacksonville Bolles 1998

Boldin led his Muck City brothers over private school powerhouse Bolles.

Best team performance remains Lewisville dropping 56 points and over 500 rushing on the best program in the state at the time- Converse Judson.

Comment

• Farmer
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by KT2000

Luker was the original master of Art Briles' offense, and La Marque was in its heyday when the record setting 98 Jackets torched them.

RB Cedric Benson (Midland Lee) vs Eisenhower 99 and Austin Westlake 200

WR Damarkus Lodge (Cedar Hill) vs Katy 2013 and 2014.

QB Bralon Addison (FB Hightower) vs Southlake Carroll

QB Will Cole (Cedar Hill) vs Cy Falls 2006

RB Adam Taylor (Katy) vs Cedar Hill 2012

QB Ronnell Sims (Abilene) vs Katy 2009

Best non-TX: QB Anquan Boldin (Pahokee FL) vs Jacksonville Bolles 1998

Boldin led his Muck City brothers over private school powerhouse Bolles.

Best team performance remains Lewisville dropping 56 points and over 500 rushing on the best program in the state at the time- Converse Judson.
                              Luker was great. He had one of the quickest releases I've ever seen and was a master at checking to his 2nd and 3rd progressions. Watching Stephenville in those days was exciting it's the only team I've ever seen have the QB literally already rolling out as the ball was snapped.
                              Some will say that Brandon Stewart was the original mastermind of that offense. The 1993 team wasn't as flashy as '98 but Brandon Stewart was recruited by everybody out of HS and helped get those runs started for Briles and Stephenville

Comment

• dada
                                2nd Team
                                • Apr 2015

My personal Favorite was Adam Taylor in 2012....he refused to lose vs CHill and Steele, the previous week.

Comment

• sTp
                                  1st Team
                                  • Apr 2015

Ok I just geeked out and watched this..

What exactly was the Art Briles offense? Early on in the film it looked to be a veer thingy, and then later on it looked like a full blown spread.. Halp..

Comment

• Super B
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

What exactly was the Art Briles offense? Early on in the film it looked to be a veer thingy, and then later on it looked like a full blown spread.. Halp..
                                    Early in the '90's they did run an I-formation type rushing offense. He started the middle schools on the spread. Once they got to HS varsity, he made the full switch. They switched to a spread type scheme as the '90's progressed. Briles was the master and innovator of the early spread and the first HC to have huge dynasty level success with it.
                                    Super B

Comment

• KT2000
                                      Practice Squad
                                      • Jun 2015

Well done for your research. The Briles approach can only be described as multiple. The 98 team did things high schools and video games still haven't thought of in terms of pre-snap offense and ability to execute on snap. This offense produced a 4,000 yard passer, 2,000 yard rusher and 2,000 yard receiver.

Originally posted by sTp

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

Luker was great. He had one of the quickest releases I've ever seen and was a master at checking to his 2nd and 3rd progressions. Watching Stephenville in those days was exciting it's the only team I've ever seen have the QB literally already rolling out as the ball was snapped.
                                        Some will say that Brandon Stewart was the original mastermind of that offense. The 1993 team wasn't as flashy as '98 but Brandon Stewart was recruited by everybody out of HS and helped get those runs started for Briles and Stephenville
                                        He has to still be kicking himself for signing with the Vols the same year as Peyton Manning.

Comment

• Farmer
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Well done for your research. The Briles approach can only be described as multiple. The 98 team did things high schools and video games still haven't thought of in terms of pre-snap offense and ability to execute on snap. This offense produced a 4,000 yard passer, 2,000 yard rusher and 2,000 yard receiver.
                                          Multiple is right. They incorporated a lot of Veer principles with the option as well as counter trey they ran. It was a myriad of approaches and labeling it just a "spread" offense wouldn't be doing it justice because it was so much more than s spread it was a wide variety of principles that really didn't have an answer.

I've seen it mentioned that Stephenville was an I team they were never an I team were slinging the rock from the very early 90 s through the time Briles left.

As you mentioned KT their pre-snap stuff was revolutionary and never before seen on the HS level that QB would literally be in motion taking the snap on the run in those days.

Comment

• Farmer
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up

He has to still be kicking himself for signing with the Vols the same year as Peyton Manning.
                                            It makes you wonder if they had the same services then as there are now concerning recruiting if he would have made the same choice.
                                            At least he was able to get some personal redemption in the '98 Big 12 title game beating number 1 Kansad State. Stewart always seemed like a great guy

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎