X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

Desoto Backup QB Jaylin Nelson Transferred to Duncanville

If you remember watching the Battle of Beltline on ESPN then you watched Soph. Jaylin Nelson do a pretty good job against Cedar Hill. Nelson only played in the game because Tristen Wallace (Ohio St.) was out with an ankle injury. While this news isn't exactly breaking because it happened a decent while ago, it's still another transfer to one of the schools that have been on my what's going on there watch list. Desoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill seem to have some weird stuff going on regarding player transfers.

On another note, Jaylin Nelson received his first scholarship offer today from Texas Tech University.
    Last edited by svhorns; 06-03-2015, 03:55 PM.
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Yep. Just about anything goes through that I-20 corridor.
    Super B

Comment

• CHill
      1st Team
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
      If you remember watching the Battle of Beltline on ESPN then you watched Soph. Jaylin Nelson do a pretty good job against Cedar Hill. Nelson only played in the game because Tristen Wallace (Ohio St.) was out with an ankle injury. While this news isn't exactly breaking because it happened a decent while ago, it's still another transfer to one of the schools that have been on my what what's going on there watch list. Desoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill seem to have some weird stuff going on regarding player transfers.

On another note, Jaylin Nelson received his first scholarship offer today from Texas Tech University.

Has the transfer been approve by DEC? The last player that transfer there was not approve by DEC, which voted 5-0 against that player and the appeal to the UIL was deny also.

Cedar Hill is now an open ISD. Each incoming student that resides outside of CH has to go through an interview process and background check from their previous school to be approve for admission.

Comment

• svhorns
        All State
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by CHill

Has the transfer been approve by DEC? The last player that transfer there was not approve by DEC, which voted 5-0 against that player and the appeal to the UIL was deny also.

Cedar Hill is now an open ISD. Each incoming student that resides outside of CH has to go through an interview process and background check from their previous school to be approve for admission.
        Not sure if he has been approved or not. I happened to notice it when I was reading about his scholarship offer that he acquired from Tech.

What's the reasoning behind the open enrollment? I figured if you have to offer open enrollment it can't be because of anything good going on with the school.
        Last edited by svhorns; 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

My understanding is, open enrollment or not, any student wishing to participate in a UIL activity must still reside within the boundaries of that schools attendance zone.
          Super B

Comment

• svhorns
            All State
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
            My understanding is, open enrollment or not, any student wishing to participate in a UIL activity must still reside within the boundaries of that schools attendance zone.
            Huh? So what exactly does the word open mean in open enrollment?

Comment

• CHill
              1st Team
              • Apr 2015

Not sure if he has been approved or not. I happened to notice it when I was reading about his scholarship offer that he acquired from Tech.

What's the reasoning behind the open enrollment? I figured if you have to offer open enrollment it can't be because of anything good going on with the school.

According to our understanding from communications to the parents of students in CHISD, this is about academics and being an exemplary district under the TEA. The collegiate high school is one of the best in the country. They allowed students of the Collegiate High School to participate in extra-curricular activities last year. They have expanded that program to establish collegiate prep or readiness campuses in the district at the elementary, middle and intermediate levels as part of the district at large. They cannot include the Collegiate HS in the overall district ISD ranking. All students have to be interviewed and their transcripts reviewed... whether they live in district or out.

Comment

• svhorns
                All State
                • Apr 2015

According to our understanding from communications to the parents of students in CHISD, this is about academics and being an exemplary district under the TEA. The collegiate high school is one of the best in the country. They allowed students of the Collegiate High School to participate in extra-curricular activities last year. They have expanded that program to establish collegiate prep or readiness campuses in the district at the elementary, middle and intermediate levels as part of the district at large. They cannot include the Collegiate HS in the overall district ISD ranking. All students have to be interviewed and their transcripts reviewed... whether they live in district or out.
                Hold on a sec talk to me like im stupid. In other words just talk to me. What is a colleigate high school? Is that similar to a magnet program like that at Skyline? If I understand this correctly the Colleigate HS is at Cedar Hill but not necessarily Cedar Hill HS but because the collegiate high school is at Cedar Hill those students can participate in extra curricular activites with normal Cedar Hill students.

It seems you described exactly what a magnet school is butI know a magnet school concentrates on a certain subject may it be math, science, drama etc... so I guess that's where im getting confused.

To me it seems like you CAN come from out of district and attend the collegiate HS at Cedar Hill, what purpose would it serve otherwise?

Comment

• sTp
                  1st Team
                  • Apr 2015

Hang on, this isn't the same kid that recently transferred from DeSoto to Duncanville is it? This is a second transfer right?

Forgive me for asking, but there is so much movement going on it's getting increasingly difficult to keep up with it all. This is crazy..

Comment

• svhorns
                    All State
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                    Hang on, this isn't the same kid that recently transferred from DeSoto to Duncanville is it? This is a second transfer right?

Forgive me for asking, but there is so much movement going on it's getting increasingly difficult to keep up with it all. This is crazy..
                    No, same transfer. Never got around to posting it.

Comment

• sTp
                      1st Team
                      • Apr 2015

No, same transfer. Never got around to posting it.
                      Ok thanks, couldn't remember or find the kids name.

Carry on!

Comment

• CHill
                        1st Team
                        • Apr 2015

Hold on a sec talk to me like im stupid. In other words just talk to me. What is a colleigate high school? Is that similar to a magnet program like that at Skyline? If I understand this correctly the Colleigate HS is at Cedar Hill but not necessarily Cedar Hill HS but because the collegiate high school is at Cedar Hill those students can participate in extra curricular activites with normal Cedar Hill students.

It seems you described exactly what a magnet school is butI know a magnet school concentrates on a certain subject may it be math, science, drama etc... so I guess that's where im getting confused.

To me it seems like you CAN come from out of district and attend the collegiate HS at Cedar Hill, what purpose would it serve otherwise?

The colleigate HS is for students that take advance HS courses and attend Cedar Valley Jr. college from 9th through 12 grade to attain associate degree. The students have been CH residents but starting next year is open for students outside the district. if they're approve through the application and interview process. Although they can participate in extra curricular activities , I've never heard of one that does. The HS is located across town so these students would miss their assign athletic period for the sport, band they would play for. In addition they are bus over to Jr. college in the afternoon for those courses and return back around 4:30 making them very late for the practice that starts across town at 3:45. Basically they sacrifice extra curricular activities to take heavier course load and get a jump start on college with the completion of the first two years. It's state funded program and they paid nothing for the Jr. college. It's a sweet deal for a kid that has vision and discipline from 9th through 12 grade. My kids weren't interested and has you can see it takes a special student to go this route.

Comment

• Eagle2
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

The colleigate HS is for students that take advance HS courses and attend Cedar Valley Jr. college from 9th through 12 grade to attain associate degree. The students have been CH residents but starting next year is open for students outside the district. if they're approve through the application and interview process. Although they can participate in extra curricular activities , I've never heard of one that does. The HS is located across town so these students would miss their assign athletic period for the sport, band they would play for. In addition they are bus over to Jr. college in the afternoon for those courses and return back around 4:30 making them very late for the practice that starts across town at 3:45. Basically they sacrifice extra curricular activities to take heavier course load and get a jump start on college with the completion of the first two years. It's state funded program and they paid nothing for the Jr. college. It's a sweet deal for a kid that has vision and discipline from 9th through 12 grade. My kids weren't interested and has you can see it takes a special student to go this route.
                          Correct on all accounts in regards to open enrollment and the collegiate process.

Comment

• Eagle2
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Yes out of district students if selected can attend either a magnet or collegiate school. Magnet schools are more geared toward a career path such as business, law, education, fine arts, where as students in a collegiate or early college program earn college credits (associates degree) in addition to their high school diploma.

Comment

• svhorns
                              All State
                              • Apr 2015

Do you know any of the requirments to be accepted? If a kid is accepted from out of the district will he/she be able to participate in extra curricular activites? I know you said you dont know any at the moment because of the scheduling but are there UIL restrictions regarding the said situation?

Comment

• Eagle2
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

Do you know any of the requirments to be accepted? If a kid is accepted from out of the district will he/she be able to participate in extra curricular activites? I know you said you dont know any at the moment because of the scheduling but are there UIL restrictions regarding the said situation?
                                First and foremost this is for academics. So criteria is what type of student are we getting? How are the grades and behavior? What courses or path is student seeking?(classes are not crowded) Some students and parents are interviewed. Most students going this route are seeking academics rather than extra curricular. The fact that a student participates in extra curricular especially in sports and they are good is just an added benefit for that school. Also state law allows parents and students to choose a school of choice if their home (boundary)school is a low performing school.

Comment

• svhorns
                                  All State
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle
                                  First and foremost this is for academics. So criteria is what type of student are we getting? How are the grades and behavior? What courses or path is student seeking?(classes are not crowded) Some students and parents are interviewed. Most students going this route are seeking academics rather than extra curricular. The fact that a student participates in extra curricular especially in sports and they are good is just an added benefit for that school. Also state law allows parents and students to choose a school of choice if their home (boundary)school is a low performing school.
                                  I get what you're saying but hear me out. The #1 Inside LB in the state of Texas, Dontavious Jackson from Alief Elisk who can pretty much go wherever he wants for college, is also receiving scholarship offers from ivy league schools like Penn. If he wanted to transfer to Cedar Hill to attend Cedar Valley JUCO I don't see anything stopping him. The reasoning that would be given for the transfer would be something like... Dontavious would like to be able to attend Cedar Hill for the opportunity to attend Cedar Valley JUCO. While the move at face value seems to be for academic reasons.... lets be real here.

Comment

• CHill
                                    1st Team
                                    • Apr 2015

I get what you're saying but hear me out. The #1 Inside LB in the state of Texas, Dontavious Jackson from Alief Elisk who can pretty much go wherever he wants for college, is also receiving scholarship offers from ivy league schools like Penn. If he wanted to transfer to Cedar Hill to attend Cedar Valley JUCO I don't see anything stopping him. The reasoning that would be given for the transfer would be something like... Dontavious would like to be able to attend Cedar Hill for the opportunity to attend Cedar Valley JUCO. While the move at face value seems to be for academic reasons.... lets be real here.

The answer is yes and as long as he follows the UIL guidelines. I'm not sure if he would be accepted at the Collegiate High School as it's a four year program. Eagle might know that answer. Let just say he is accepted, regardless how good a player he is, would he benefit a program that he has hard time getting to practice?

I see where you're going here, but transfers have been going on for years and is police by the UIL the best that they can. They can tweek the guidelines but they put those decisions in the DECs of the districts to make that call and if people work around the guidelines, they will. Durning my time coaching youth select teams of two sports, the big issues are parents and self entitlement of their children.
                                    Which brings us back to this thread and the young man transferring to his third school in three years. So the decision is left in the hands of the DEC, because that's the process.
                                    Last edited by CHill; 06-03-2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

The answer is yes and as long as he follows the UIL guidelines. I'm not sure if he would be accepted at the Collegiate High School as it's a four year program. Eagle might know that answer. Let just say he is accepted, regardless how good a player he is, would he benefit a program that he has hard time getting to practice?

I see where you're going here, but transfers have been going on for years and is police by the UIL the best that they can. They can tweek the guidelines but they put those decisions in the DECs of the districts to make that call and if people work around the guidelines, they will. Durning my time coaching youth select teams of two sports, the big issues are parents and self entitlement of their children.
                                      Which brings us back to this thread and the young man transferring to his third school in three years. So the decision is left in the hands of the DEC, because that's the process.
                                      Which is the whole key to this process. These members of the DEC are much like politicians. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. Majority rules. A coach or school does not want to make enemies with members of his district. You never know when you might need a favor (that good transfer coming in). Lets be real about the process and situation. If us so called experts can see transfers for athletic purposes only then surely these members (educators, superintentants, coaches, athletic directors) of the DEC can also. Do they really have the athletes best interest?

Comment

• Farmer
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Chill or Eagke, when he attended FBA, did he already reside in the DeSoto attendance zone?
                                        I don't have a problem with kids who are in private schools transferring back to the school they were already going to attend had they not chose the private school route but a move from DeSoto to Duncanvilke does seem a bit fishy but I know you two guys would be able to address this issue better than most since you guys are so involved in that area

Comment

• CHill
                                          1st Team
                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

Chill or Eagke, when he attended FBA, did he already reside in the DeSoto attendance zone?
                                          I don't have a problem with kids who are in private schools transferring back to the school they were already going to attend had they not chose the private school route but a move from DeSoto to Duncanvilke does seem a bit fishy but I know you two guys would be able to address this issue better than most since you guys are so involved in that area

I don't know the young man or where he resides, but I also have no problem in what you stated above. I know last season CH had two players transfer back to CH from private schools for their senior year that live here in CH and had older brothers that play here. I didn't consider them "transfers", they where players that didn't want wait until their senior year to play on varsity and the family choose the other option.

Comment

• CHill
                                            1st Team
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle
                                            Which is the whole key to this process. These members of the DEC are much like politicians. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. Majority rules. A coach or school does not want to make enemies with members of his district. You never know when you might need a favor (that good transfer coming in). Lets be real about the process and situation. If us so called experts can see transfers for athletic purposes only then surely these members (educators, superintentants, coaches, athletic directors) of the DEC can also. Do they really have the athletes best interest?
                                            That's the issue the districts face and there is nothing parents and fans can do about it. Coaching is a very tight fraternity combine with the politics of the ISDs and much easier to close an eye about the process instead of opposing it.

Comment

• Super B
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Okay so the fact CH is open enrollment is irrelevant in regards to him playing football next year. That's what I was getting at. Mentioning CH is open enrollment has nothing to do with athletics.

If he intends to play football, I assume his family physically moved to within the CHISD attendance zone.
                                              Super B

Comment

• CHill
                                                1st Team
                                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                                                Okay so the fact CH is open enrollment is irrelevant in regards to him playing football next year. That's what I was getting at. Mentioning CH is open enrollment has nothing to do with athletics.

If he intends to play football, I assume his family physically moved to within the CHISD attendance zone.

I would assume so as the mother will be a teacher/coach in the CHISD.

Comment

• Super B
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

I would assume so as the mother will be a teacher/coach in the CHISD.
                                                  Oh. That part I missed.
                                                  Super B

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                                                    Special Teams
                                                    • Apr 2015

In other QB transfer news that affects Desoto, IMG Academy is losing their 5star QB Malik Henry. (Sorry, couldn't find a Desoto-IMG thread on this board).

Comment

• svhorns
                                                      All State
                                                      • Apr 2015

Comment

Working...