X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

Best QB WR combos in Texas.

These are just off the top of my head, feel free to add some more.

QB Dillon Sterling Cole and WR Tyrie Cleveland - Spring Westfield
    QB D'Eriq King and WR Reggie Hemphill - Manvel
    QB Shane Buechele and WR Kofi Boateng - Arlington Lamar
    QB Avery Davis and WR Jaylon Jackson - Cedar Hill
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

I think our friends down in San Angelo may want to provide some input on this.

Comment

• dada
      2nd Team
      • Apr 2015

In the GHA:
      QB Paul Watson and WR Quartney Davis- Langham Creek is a duo to watch.

Comment

• Shady12
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
        I think our friends down in San Angelo may want to provide some input on this.

Well, don't mind if I do. San Angelo Central has one of the top QBs in the state in Brennen Wooten. Mostly new but talented receivers so not sure about which combo will be most lethal and they tend to spread it around a lot.

QB Wooten to WR Wooten could be the one. The bros have the most chemistry so far.

Coach Brent Davis thinks 6'4" Will Grindstaff will be the go-to guy though so look out for QB Wooten to WR Grindstaff as well.

Dark horse combo would be QB Wooten to WR Adam "Batman" West (6'6" 190).

Comment

• Eagle82
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

Well, don't mind if I do. San Angelo Central has one of the top QBs in the state in Brennen Wooten. Mostly new but talented receivers so not sure about which combo will be most lethal and they tend to spread it around a lot.

QB Wooten to WR Wooten could be the one. The bros have the most chemistry so far.

Coach Brent Davis thinks 6'4" Will Grindstaff will be the go-to guy though so look out for QB Wooten to WR Grindstaff as well.

Dark horse combo would be QB Wooten to WR Adam "Batman" West (6'6" 190).
          With the lack of height in AH's secondary, that's going to pose a problem so I would bet the key in our game will be putting pressure on Wooten and containing him. Only problem is that we will have a new front line so no idea on how they will perform.

Could see some passing and receiving records at Central this season.

Comment

• Shady12
            2nd Team
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

With the lack of height in AH's secondary, that's going to pose a problem so I would bet the key in our game will be putting pressure on Wooten and containing him. Only problem is that we will have a new front line so no idea on how they will perform.

Could see some passing and receiving records at Central this season.
            For records to happen they'd probably need a lot of shootouts to keep starters in all the games since there have been a lot of high octane passing offenses at Central the last 25 years. I think Shea Morenz in '91 had over 4,000 yards passing and over 40 TDs.

Wooten has more running ability than I thought. He has straight line speed but there were some designed runs in the spring game that were impressive (keeping in mind of course that they were allowed to tackle) but showed some nice lateral agility which you can see in at least one run in this:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5077079/...s/261502054/v2

Can see his speed outrunning the secondary for a 65 yd touchdown at 1:45 of highlight reel from last year:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/...s/202899376/v2

6'4" Grindstaff clip from last year's spring game that shows how well he runs on one play(playing QB) and going up and getting a ball on the other(playing WR):

6'6" West JV reel from last season. Hard to gauge speed with guys that tall but on a couple of the plays you can see he's moving pretty fast for his size and he can go up and snatch the ball out of the air:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4156817/...s/186019375/v2

Last edited by Shady12; 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• svhorns
              All State
              • Apr 2015

For records to happen they'd probably need a lot of shootouts to keep starters in all the games since there have been a lot of high octane passing offenses at Central the last 25 years. I think Shea Morenz in '91 had over 4,000 yards passing and over 40 TDs.

Wooten has more running ability than I thought. He has straight line speed but there were some designed runs in the spring game that were impressive (keeping in mind of course that they were allowed to tackle) but showed some nice lateral agility which you can see in at least one run in this:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5077079/...s/261502054/v2

Can see his speed outrunning the secondary for a 65 yd touchdown at 1:45 of highlight reel from last year:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1526918/...s/202899376/v2

6'4" Grindstaff clip from last year's spring game that shows how well he runs on one play(playing QB) and going up and getting a ball on the other(playing WR):

6'6" West JV reel from last season. Hard to gauge speed with guys that tall but on a couple of the plays you can see he's moving pretty fast for his size and he can go up and snatch the ball out of the air:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4156817/...s/186019375/v2

Morenz went to Central? I didn't know that. I thought he was the coolest person ever when I was a youngster. He was the first person I had heard of that played both baseball and football. My dad started taking me to UT football games when Morenz first stepped foot on campus so his name is a name that I'll never forget

Comment

• Shady12
                2nd Team
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

Morenz went to Central? I didn't know that. I thought he was the coolest person ever when I was a youngster. He was the first person I had heard of that played both baseball and football. My dad started taking me to UT football games when Morenz first stepped foot on campus so his name is a name that I'll never forget
                Yep! I was in Jr. High when he was in high school and looked up to him.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/mo...rything-at-chs

This video at 6:13 is the only footage I've found online of him at Central. Remember that game well.

Last edited by Shady12; 06-03-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• svhorns
                  All State
                  • Apr 2015

Yep! I was in Jr. High when he was in high school and looked up to him.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sports/mo...rything-at-chs

This video at 6:13 is the only footage I've found online of him at Central. Remember that game well.

https://youtu.be/agDvEecHPRM?t=6m13s
                  Oh man thats cool. Unfortunately he didnt live up to the hype at Texas but he's still the reason I continued to watch Texas football.

Comment

• Shady12
                    2nd Team
                    • Apr 2015

Mostly due to injuries.

Comment

• some eagle fan
                      Special Teams
                      • Apr 2015

Hey, Allen is pretty good at receiving quarterbacks!

Comment

• sTp
                        1st Team
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by some eagle fan
                        Hey, Allen is pretty good at receiving quarterbacks!

original.jpg

Comment

• svhorns
                          All State
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada
                          In the GHA:
                          QB Paul Watson and WR Quartney Davis- Langham Creek is a duo to watch.
                          Texas A&M offered Quartney Davis today.

Comment

Working...