X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BamaCrimsonTide
    Practice Squad
    • May 2015

Here is a rough draft of my article

Here I have an incomplete rough draft. Remember guys this is my first ever sports article, I don't expect it to be great. It may have flaws or weaknesses, but that's why I am sharing it. Let me know what you guys think

2013 Aledo Bearcats vs 2008 Lake Travis Cavaliers

Both 2008 Lake Travis and 2013 Aledo went 16-0 and won the 4A state championships in their respective seasons and were consistently dominant with sizable margins of victory in their state championship games. Regardless of classification, both teams were among the best in the state in their seasons, they are historically great Texas 4A teams. The question here is though, if the two teams were matched up against each other on a neutral field, who would come away with a victory?

Strength of Schedule

Aledo
    Top 100 Teams Played Against: 0
    Teams with a winning record: 11
    Average Opponent Rank (According to MaxPreps): 3,350
    Opponent Overall Win/Loss Record: 118-68

Lake Travis
    Top 100 Teams Played Against: 2
    Teams played against with a winning record: 13
    Average Opponent Rank (According to MaxPreps): 1,693
    Opponent Overall Win/Loss Record: 133-65
    While both squads had quality schedules, Lake Travis’ schedule is superior. The Cavaliers faced off against two top 100 teams (according to HSFB 100 rankings), Longview and Evangel Christian. Evangel Christian was a state finalist in the Louisiana 2A playoffs. While Aledo had impressive victories against state finalists Highland Park and Stephenville along with a dominant playoff run, the overall strength of schedule lacks top to bottom quality due to playing in a weak district. Aledo’s district opponents had zero total playoff victories, while Lake Travis’ district opponents had a total of 7 playoff victories.
    Edge: Lake Travis

Quarterbacks

Luke Bishop
    Passing Yards: 2,699
    Passing Touchdowns: 37
    Interceptions: 2
    Completion Percentage: 70.48
    Rushing Yards: 756
    Rushing Touchdowns: 7

Garrett Gilbert
    Passing Yards: 4,851
    Passing Touchdowns: 55
    Interceptions: 6
    Completion Percentage: 69.3
    Rushing Yards: 767
    Rushing Touchdowns: 23
    Both quarterbacks were an integral part of their offenses, but Lake Travis’ record setting Garrett Gilbert accounted for 2,163 yards more than Aledo’s Luke Bishop and held the bulk of the 2008 Lake Travis offense (5,618 yards out of 7,994 yards).

Running backs
    Lake Travis and Aledo both had an excellent group of running backs. The Cavalier’s backfield was led by the versatile Chris Aydam, who led the team in rushing with 798 yards on 112 carries with 11 touchdowns. Chris Aydam was an excellent receiver out of the backfield, hauling in 49 catches for 612 yards and 7 touchdowns. Aydam’s backup was junior and future Rice Owl Andy Erickson, with 546 yards on 69 carries with 6 touchdowns. The Bearcats backfield was led by junior running back Jess Anders. The University of Texas-San Antonio bound back led the Bearcats in rushing with 1,527 yards with 151 attempts and 35 touchdowns. Anders was also a weapon out of the backfield, as he accounted for 471 yards in receiving and 5 touchdowns. Next in line to Anders was Daythan Davis, who had 684 yards on 88 carries with 15 touchdowns. While both teams have quality backs, Aledo’s backfield gets the nod, as this group was more productive and just as balanced, and more prolific as this group accounted for more yards, touchdowns, and a higher yards per-carry average.
    Edge: Aledo

Wide Receivers
    Each team here had a quality group of wide receivers. Aledo’s wide receiver corps was led by Taco Anderson with 766 yards while Ryan Newsome led the group with the most touchdown receptions (10). The Lake Travis wide receiver corps was led by Cade McCrary, who had 1,711 yards receiving and 24 touchdown receptions. Second to McCrary in receiving yardage was Austin Pollard with 1,022 yards. Both teams had stout and deep receiving corps. While Aledo’s Ryan Newsome is probably the best athlete and most versatile player of the wide receivers between both teams, Lake Travis has the slight advantage given their quality of depth at the position. Lake Travis had three wide receivers who would eventually go on to play D1 football, Conner Floyd and Austin Pollard (Tulsa) along with Cade McCrary (University of Texas walk-on).
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

That's great information and writing. Can say I learned some things about those teams.

Is this something you're doing for additional teams? Great talent and thanks for posting!

Comment

• Farmer
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Very well done Bama.
      Love the work and research you put into this. I look forward to more of your work.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
        Practice Squad
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
        That's great information and writing. Can say I learned some things about those teams.

Is this something you're doing for additional teams? Great talent and thanks for posting!
        Thanks for the compliment eagle82!

More is to come, just trying to figure out if my format is effective for comparing the two teams

And yes, there will be another article. So far,
        Some ideas I've had are 2012 Katy vs 2013 Allen, 2013 Cedar Hill vs 2009 LT, 2011 SLC vs 2008 LT, 08 LT vs 05 Highland Park, and 05 SLC vs 2013 Allen

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
          Practice Squad
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
          Very well done Bama.
          Love the work and research you put into this. I look forward to more of your work.
          Thank you farmer!

Yes more to come. Been told the article is slightly biased

Comment

• sTp
            1st Team
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BamaCrimsonTide

Thank you farmer!

Yes more to come. Been told the article is slightly biased
            HOW?!?

Just write what comes to you, do your comparisons and let the rest take care of itself. There is no way you are going to please everyone from every fan base.

I saw no bias whatsoever for what it's worth.

Great write up btw.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
              Practice Squad
              • May 2015

Originally posted by sTp

HOW?!?

Just write what comes to you, do your comparisons and let the rest take care of itself. There is no way you are going to please everyone from every fan base.

I saw no bias whatsoever for what it's worth.

Great write up btw.
              He said my WR analysis is slanted, and that Aledo probably had the better group

I want to post the state championship videos of both teams on here for people to watch and grade based on the eye test (as to who looks more impressive)

Comment

• svhorns
                All State
                • Apr 2015

He said my WR analysis is slanted, and that Aledo probably had the better group

I want to post the state championship videos of both teams on here for people to watch and grade based on the eye test (as to who looks more impressive)
                Are you from Lake Travis or know anyone on the team?

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                  Practice Squad
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

Are you from Lake Travis or know anyone on the team?
                  Family ties. My cousin is a Cavalette and uncle is a longtime Lakeway resident and Cav football fan. He got me started in this and I thought it would be cool to do

Comment

• svhorns
                    All State
                    • Apr 2015

Family ties. My cousin is a Cavalette and uncle is a longtime Lakeway resident and Cav football fan. He got me started in this and I thought it would be cool to do
                    Meh, I dont think thats enough to have a true bias.

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
                      Practice Squad
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

Meh, I dont think thats enough to have a true bias.
                      That's good then. Is my analysis accurate in your opinion? Who do you think was better?

Comment

Working...