• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle2
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

Question sir,
    With your background in the game and you knowing so many who have coached the game. Can you think of a program today that has a HC or a slew of assistants who are not currently certified to teach in the state?
    No sir not a one. Absolutely not.

Comment

• Eagle2
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by chhspantherfan

No, the ones not certified are one-off situations. You DO NOT have to be a TX certified teacher to be a Coach. If the district thinks you are qualified and chooses to hire you to coach, that is their decision. With respect to Teaching, you must possess a State Certificate, unless you are new to the state and are in the process of obtaining one. There is a provision for Teachers with qualified life experience, but I would have to go back and research that.
      Correct sir. But you are required to be employed full time for that district.

Comment

• sTp
        1st Team
        • Apr 2015

Let's see if I can do this from the phone..

per http://tea.texas.gov/interiorpage.aspx?id=25769812519

"There are five requirements to become a certified teacher.

1. Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree - You must earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
        The Texas Administrative Code requires that candidates completing a Texas program must have a degree from a university that is accredited by a regional accrediting agency as recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB)
        U.S. Department of Education Database for Accredited Colleges and Universities (outside source)
        Health Science Technology and Trades & Industrial Education certifications are exempt from the Bachelor's degree requirement

2. Complete an Educator Preparation Program - You must complete an Approved Educator Preparation Program. If you do not hold a degree you must complete a university program. If you hold a degree you may contact an Alternative Certification Program or Post Baccalaureate program .
        Resources to Help Pay for Educator Preparation

3. Pass Certification Exams - You must pass the appropriate teacher certification exams. Contact your program for exam approval.

4. Submit a State Application – You must apply to be certified after all requirements are met. Do not apply until you have verified with your program that you are eligible.

5. Complete Fingerprinting – All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check."
        Last edited by sTp; 05-20-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• svhorns
          All State
          • Apr 2015

So you can or you can't be a full time coach without a bachelors degree? If you can become a coach without a bachelors degree, I've been lied to. Until someone can provide a personal example of a coach who does coach without a bachelors degree sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

Comment

• sTp
            1st Team
            • Apr 2015

Now after all that up above, there are some coaches that do not teach other classes like the head coaches, but I can't imagine the same circumstances or stipulations extending to assistants or several as in this case.

Got my teaching certificate back in 1999, and couldn't have taken the tests had I not shown proof I was on my way to graduating with a degree.

I did read a snippet (didn't get a chance to copy it) where if one teaches vocational or "insert some other fancy term" types of courses that the school district might not require the teacher to have a degree, but those positions I would think are very few.

Comment

• CHill
              1st Team
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
              So you can or you can't be a full time coach without a bachelors degree? If you can become a coach without a bachelors degree, I've been lied to. Until someone can provide a personal example of a coach who does coach without a bachelors degree sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

Kimball boys basketball coach didn't have a degree and was hired to coach basketball only. The DISD a couple years ago change their requirements and every HC had to have teachers certification to continue to be HC. Remember reading an article and there was several BB coaches that where going to be effected by the change. Can't remember what happen with these coaches and if their still coaching.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                Special Teams
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle
                Correct sir. But you are required to be employed full time for that district.

correct........

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                  Special Teams
                  • Apr 2015

you are more naive than I thought. You really should get out more.

Comment

• svhorns
                    All State
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by chhspantherfan

you are more naive than I thought. You really should get out more.
                    Yes I am. If respectable coaches in the game tell you it has to be done this way I have no reason to not believe them. I'd still like an example if you can provide one.

Comment

• Eagle2
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Jrstar

Kimball boys basketball coach didn't have a degree and was hired to coach basketball only. The DISD a couple years ago change their requirements and every HC had to have teachers certification to continue to be HC. Remember reading an article and there was several BB coaches that where going to be effected by the change. Can't remember what happen with these coaches and if their still coaching.
                      Correct. Prime example. He was employed full time as a school monitor, no degree. He no longer is employed by DISD and yes all coaches in DISD will have a degree.

Comment

• Farmer
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                        Now after all that up above, there are some coaches that do not teach other classes like the head coaches, but I can't imagine the same circumstances or stipulations extending to assistants or several as in this case.

Got my teaching certificate back in 1999, and couldn't have taken the tests had I not shown proof I was on my way to graduating with a degree.

I did read a snippet (didn't get a chance to copy it) where if one teaches vocational or "insert some other fancy term" types of courses that the school district might not require the teacher to have a degree, but those positions I would think are very few.
                        That's very true concerning head coaches no longer teaching classes especially at your larger schools. A lot of those coaches are also serving in administrative type of roles as well by being athletic coordinator for the schools they coach at. At one time most of those head coaches were assistants though and taught 2-3 classes a day if not more before they became a head coach and that would have forced them to have a certificate.

A lot of districts when hiring their coaches are generally looking to fill multiple roles with one hire and that is a teaching need as well as a coaching need which is why your salary is generally a "teachers salary" with a coaching stipend mixed in with that.

Comment

• Farmer
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Yes I am. If respectable coaches in the game tell you it has to be done this way I have no reason to not believe them. I'd still like an example if you can provide one.
                          That was my impression as well. I was told by several coaches that I have a personal relationship with that the only way their district would hire you to coach is if you had your teaching certification which also would mean a degree

Comment

• Farmer
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

No sir not a one. Absolutely not.
                            I can't either but I am a bit naive and will advent I also don't get out much unless it's to take out the trash.

Now one thing I have observed in a lot of programs I read when I attend games is it seems more and more head coaches have gone back to school and now have their masters degrees in administration.. I am sure somebody will come in and tell us that you don't have to have a bachelors degree though to get a masters

Comment

• Eagle2
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

That was my impression as well. I was told by several coaches that I have a personal relationship with that the only way their district would hire you to coach is if you had your teaching certification which also would mean a degree
                              So correct.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

I can't either but I am a bit naive and will advent I also don't get out much unless it's to take out the trash.

Now one thing I have observed in a lot of programs I read when I attend games is it seems more and more head coaches have gone back to school and now have their masters degrees in administration.. I am sure somebody will come in and tell us that you don't have to have a bachelors degree though to get a masters
                                lol yes. A masters degree pays more on the scale. Masters in administration is a security blanket, meaning after the grind of coaching and before retiring, a head coach can move to principal, assistant principal, or athletic director. Being on the administrative side is not all that its made out to be, some have said they wish they never made that move.

Comment

• Farmer
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

lol yes. A masters degree pays more on the scale. Masters in administration is a security blanket, meaning after the grind of coaching and before retiring, a head coach can move to principal, assistant principal, or athletic director. Being on the administrative side is not all that its made out to be, some have said they wish they never made that move.
                                  Don't a lot of coaches go into that AD role because of 2 things, pay and retirement? Meaning isn't their retirement based on their average salary over their last 3 years before retiring? I may be way off on this but you seem to be in the know and could correct that if I am completely making it up

Comment

• sTp
                                    1st Team
                                    • Apr 2015

Don't a lot of coaches go into that AD role because of 2 things, pay and retirement? Meaning isn't their retirement based on their average salary over their last 3 years before retiring? I may be way off on this but you seem to be in the know and could correct that if I am completely making it up
                                    Correct. Seen a bunch make moves like this when the opportunity presents itself. The magic retirement number in Texas is 80, in that when your age plus your years of service hits 80, you get to say adios. So a bunch will move into administration their last few years (at least 3) before they retire like you said so they can ride off into the sunset making a bunch more money than they were before the job change.

Comment

• Farmer
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

Correct. Seen a bunch make moves like this when the opportunity presents itself. The magic retirement number in Texas is 80, in that when your age plus your years of service hits 80, you get to say adios. So a bunch will move into administration their last few years (at least 3) before they retire like you said so they can ride off into the sunset making a bunch more money than they were before the job change.
                                      Is it still the case that the principal is the highest paid employee in a school or has that changed now too?
                                      I would think the two spots in a HS that would actually pay more than the head football coach would be Principal and then district AD.

Comment

• sTp
                                        1st Team
                                        • Apr 2015

Is it still the case that the principal is the highest paid employee in a school or has that changed now too?
                                        I would think the two spots in a HS that would actually pay more than the head football coach would be Principal and then district AD.
                                        Great question, but I don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.

Comment

• Farmer
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp

Great question, but I don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.
                                          Paging Panther or Eagle. Those would be the two that would know I think

Comment

• sTp
                                            1st Team
                                            • Apr 2015

Found this for ya..

Comment

• sTp
                                              1st Team
                                              • Apr 2015

Looked up a school here in the area and the Principal earned 105K while the head football coach earned 95k.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Apr 2015

Paging Panther or Eagle. Those would be the two that would know I think

Landscape has changed but majority of Principals earn more than HCs. There are exceptions but not many.

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Yes sir correct on all. Principal highest paid, then its toss(depending on school district) between head coach/ad. As stated previously by STP, the teacher retirement system is based on a formula of 80 plus years and last highest salaries. That is why you see many just coasting or riding it out the last 5 years waiting on that final day or clock to say its now time.

Comment

Working...