X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

NRG Stadium front runner to host State Finals

AUSTIN – NRG Stadium could be one step closer to hosting the University Interscholastic League’s football championship games, according to the league’s executive director.

Speaking at the Associated Press Sports Editors’ Southwest Region meeting Sunday, Dr. Charles Breithaupt said NRG Stadium is the “front runner” in landing the 2015 state championship games, though he added talks are still ongoing with both the stadium in Houston and the Alamodome in San Antonio.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...tate-football/
    Super B
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

I guess us North Texans should be prepared to travel for the Finals for the first time in a long time.
    Super B

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

That sure is a long way from Abilene!

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Back roads. Looks like about 370 miles or so from Abilene. Six hours is likely. You could probably make it there in four hours if you push it hard and don't stop. I drove down to Austin today, then from there to Ballinger where I am now. Of course my truck is governed and only goes 63 MPH max. All "back roads" though.
        Super B

Comment

• Eagle82
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
          Back roads. Looks like about 370 miles or so from Abilene. Six hours is likely. You could probably make it there in four hours if you push it hard and don't stop. I drove down to Austin today, then from there to Ballinger where I am now. Of course my truck is governed and only goes 63 MPH max. All "back roads" though.
          Some take 83 to I-10, others through Lampasas to Austin then on to Houston. Just a bytch getting there. Driven there both ways a few times. As for the FB team, just a bytch getting through R1!

Ballinger, getting hit with rain or did you? Just heard thunder here. Supposed to be coming this way.

Comment

• Farmer
            All District
            • Apr 2015

I'm glad that it's going to Houston and would like to see it eventually make it back to San Antonio since we're stuck with this single site format. I wouldn't be opposed to it being in Houston for the next 5 years and then to San Antonio for another 5 before it came back to DFW but realistically I know that's not happening.

Comment

• Super B
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Some take 83 to I-10, others through Lampasas to Austin then on to Houston. Just a bytch getting there. Driven there both ways a few times. As for the FB team, just a bytch getting through R1!

Ballinger, getting hit with rain or did you? Just heard thunder here. Supposed to be coming this way.
              What about hwy 6 through Waco and College Station? Or is that too much of a back road?

Yeah, light rain off and on. About to hit the sack.
              Super B

Comment

• Eagle2
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Give it up DFW!.(lol) The greater Houston Area wins the championships since they finally will not have to travel, as they will be only minutes away from the stadium. I-45 trek from DFW is 4 hours.

Comment

• Super B
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle
                  Give it up DFW!.(lol) The Greater Houston Area wins the championships since they finally will not have to travel, as they will be only minutes away from the stadium. I-45 trek from DFW is 4 hours.
                  Interesting theory. What was GHA's teams record in past Finals games held in GHA?
                  Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

It will be cool just to see a change of venue and I love road trips. It would even better if my team(Trinity) made it to the finals. Regardless, never been to NRG, so that will be new. Katy is a good bet to be one of the teams next season, so if they don't win, the DFW travel issue will come to a close.

Comment

• Super B
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Yep. No excuses next year.

From what I have been reading, they better enjoy this year, because the UIL powers seems to be intent on making AT&T a long term home starting in 2016.
                      Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

From what I have been reading, they better enjoy this year, because the UIL powers seems to be intent on making AT&T a long term home starting in 2016.
                        In fairness to the excuses part I helped drive that discussion but never as the sole reason as to why Cedar Hill has won the last two just that Katy having to play the same team 3 straight years in what would be a home venue for cedar hill was wrong. I sill believe that.

As for what you've read I read Wixons article this week as well and it does appear to be hat way. It looks like the UIL dropped the ball this year on securing jerseys world but won't make that mistake going forward

Comment

• Eagle2
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Yes seems like all parties would prefer JerryWorld over all other venues.

Comment

• TrojanHorse03
                            Special Teams
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

In fairness to the excuses part I helped drive that discussion but never as the sole reason as to why Cedar Hill has won the last two just that Katy having to play the same team 3 straight years in what would be a home venue for cedar hill was wrong. I sill believe that.
                            Ironically, I do think Katy would beat CH this year even if the game was played at Jerry's world.

Comment

• some eagle fan
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

As for what you've read I read Wixons article this week as well and it does appear to be hat way. It looks like the UIL dropped the ball this year on securing jerseys world but won't make that mistake going forward
                              What did I miss? Is their a link you can throw my way? Is the UIL hardcore on AT&T?

Comment

• Eagle2
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by some eagle fan

What did I miss? Is their a link you can throw my way? Is the UIL hardcore on AT&T?

Comment

• some eagle fan
                                  Special Teams
                                  • Apr 2015

Many thanks.

Comment

• some eagle fan
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Apr 2015

Well so much for spreading the wealth. i hope Houston does a bang up job with the games this year. Might be thier only chance for a long time. Sounds like Jerry and the UIL will have a long term deal before NRG has a chance to show what they can do. Pity.

Comment

• Super B
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Well so much for spreading the wealth. i hope Houston does a bang up job with the games this year. Might be thier only chance for a long time. Sounds like Jerry and the UIL will have a long term deal before NRG has a chance to show what they can do. Pity.
                                      No one is better at negotiating, wooing and getting what he wants than Jerry Jones.
                                      Super B

Comment

• Eagle82
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Well all I can say is that will be a very long bus trip for our Abilene boys. <grin>

Comment

• Super B
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                                          Well all I can say is that will be a very long bus trip for our Abilene boys. <grin>
                                          Hey, at least your used to it. (long travel for games)
                                          Super B

Comment

• Super B
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

So, where is the best place to stay overnight there in Houston?

In 2009, we stayed just across the bridge from the Alamodome at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio.

I see there is a Holiday Inn and a Crowne Plaza nearby, but was just wondering if staying there, or somewhere on the North side of town would be better. Staying on the north side, we could miss all the trafiic morning traffic the next day.
                                            Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

If Katy and another GHa school makes it to the finals, thinking Dickinso then that should help drive attendance up. If GHA can get some of the lower classification schools to make it then that will help to.
                                              The last three years have really helped attendance with Allen playing. They probably brought 35-40K to those games with it being a local game for them.
                                              I'm sure Houston will do a great job

Comment

• some eagle fan
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Apr 2015

If Katy and another GHa school makes it to the finals, thinking Dickinso then that should help drive attendance up. If GHA can get some of the lower classification schools to make it then that will help to.
                                                The last three years have really helped attendance with Allen playing. They probably brought 35-40K to those games with it being a local game for them.
                                                I'm sure Houston will do a great job
                                                I was very impressed with the both Cy Ranch and P-Land crowd. Katy is going to show up if they play in Juneau, AK., Dallas or Houston so if they're in, that's a crowd right there. I'm sure the local folks will come support their GHA teams. How would the UIL crawfish if they set a new record?

I don't think Allen brought that many people to the games although we brought a bunch. I feel certain that a good portion of the local DFW folks went to watch KM play, not Allen. Watching that kid alone was worth the price of admission, although I thought he was almost average against Cy Ranch n the 1st half, I credit their D on that.
                                                Last edited by some eagle fan; 05-26-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• 93streak
                                                  Special Teams
                                                  • Apr 2015

So, where is the best place to stay overnight there in Houston?

In 2009, we stayed just across the bridge from the Alamodome at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio.

I see there is a Holiday Inn and a Crowne Plaza nearby, but was just wondering if staying there, or somewhere on the North side of town would be better. Staying on the north side, we could miss all the trafiic morning traffic the next day.

i woule either stay on north side or down near pearland off 288. problem with northside is their is al of construction up there on 45 from Pearland area it is only about a 20 min drive to NRG

Comment

• Super B
                                                    All District
                                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by 93streak

i woule either stay on north side or down near pearland off 288. problem with northside is their is al of construction up there on 45 from Pearland area it is only about a 20 min drive to NRG
                                                    Yes. I experienced the construction coming back after the North Shore game.

Is there a good alternative route that could get us past the construction and spit us out north of the construction?
                                                    Super B

Comment

• dada
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Apr 2015

A Katy/Westfield title game would be the icing on the cake. I don't expect any attendance records to be set though if Katy is in the final....they won't bring in the GHA casual crowd the way DFW teams bring casual crowds at Jerry's world.

Comment

• 93streak
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • Apr 2015

there are a few other routes you could take would be a little out of the way but it could be done thats why i would stay on south side no construction and easy to get to and from

Comment

• Farmer
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada
                                                          A Katy/Westfield title game would be the icing on the cake. I don't expect any attendance records to be set though if Katy is in the final....they won't bring in the GHA casual crowd the way DFW teams bring casual crowds at Jerry's world.
                                                          I was hoping for a Katy vs Westfield game last year just to show how stupid it would be to have that game played in Dallas.
                                                          Last year Jerryworkd was fortunate to have Ennis also qualify. The only team in the Dallas area that I've seen bring more fans than Ennis is Allen and that's expected with a 95.000 person town and 1 HS compared to a 30,000 person town and 1HS.
                                                          I could see a Katy vs Westfield game bring in a huge crowd in Houston especially if Pearland or Dickinson are playing before

Comment

• dada
                                                            2nd Team
                                                            • Apr 2015

I was hoping for a Katy vs Westfield game last year just to show how stupid it would be to have that game played in Dallas.
                                                            Last year Jerryworkd was fortunate to have Ennis also qualify. The only team in the Dallas area that I've seen bring more fans than Ennis is Allen and that's expected with a 95.000 person town and 1 HS compared to a 30,000 person town and 1HS.
                                                            I could see a Katy vs Westfield game bring in a huge crowd in Houston especially if Pearland or Dickinson are playing before
                                                            A few years ago, Steele/Dekaney had a horrible crowd. Well, not horrible, but not what you'd expect for a state title game. I really wish they would renovate the Astrodome and made it a sports complex that could host football, basketball, soccer, baseball...heck all sports finals.

Comment

Working...