X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BamaCrimsonTide
    Practice Squad
    • May 2015

Football question

I have a question, I am in the middle of comparing the two offensive lines. One offensive line had a couple of maulers in the middle (one was a 280 lb powerlifter, if that means anything) and opened up for over 5000 yards rushing, Also, they had a big, physical freshman phenom on the line. The other offensive line was anchored by two future D1 (both were eventually Longhorns) tackles and allowed for a QB to pass for 4,851 yards, and still opened up for 3000 yards rushing.

Which O line was probably better?

Secondly,

When comparing WR units, one team had 2 1000+ yard receivers, and 3 of those receivers eventually played at a D1 school (one walked on at Texas and earned a scholarship, the other two played at Tulsa). The other team's leading receiver had 766 receiving yards, and had one WR go D1 (committed to Texas last I checked). The future longhorn only had 532 yards receiving and over 800 yards rushing. He was the most versatile receiver, and the fastest receiver between both teams.

Which one of those WR units were likely better?
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

Where's the film? I'll be able to get you an answer then. I don't know who the competition was for either team. Coaching and technique also play a huge role in o line play. One could give you an answer based on what you're describing but it wouldn't be an educated answer, only an answer that will say online A is better than online B. Same goes for question 2

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
      Practice Squad
      • May 2015

I'll get some film on here. The O line that opened up for 5000 yards rushing average opponent was ranked on average 3,350 according to MaxPreps and played zero top 100 teams

The team with the 2 great tackles and all the passing yards opponents had an average rank of 1,693 according to maxpreps, and played 2 top 100 teams

Here is one link. Hope it works and helps. More to come
      Last edited by BamaCrimsonTide; 05-17-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Admin
        TX HS Football Talk
        • Mar 2015

Welcome aboard Bama!

Comment

• Farmer
          All District
          • Apr 2015

It's tough to do a straight comparison of units when they had such different offensive philosophies. Looking at the OL I would look at how often did the team who threw the football give up a sack or a negative ply in the rushing department. As you understand not all offensive lines are built or coached the same and where one will implement a heavy focus on the rushing game with zone blocking, the other may be just the opposite.

Are you wanting to compare each unit starting with OL and working your way to DL to LBs etc?

Comment

• BamaCrimsonTide
            Practice Squad
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
            It's tough to do a straight comparison of units when they had such different offensive philosophies. Looking at the OL I would look at how often did the team who threw the football give up a sack or a negative ply in the rushing department. As you understand not all offensive lines are built or coached the same and where one will implement a heavy focus on the rushing game with zone blocking, the other may be just the opposite.

Are you wanting to compare each unit starting with OL and working your way to DL to LBs etc?
            I see what you're saying. One is good at one and the other is good at another. The 2 teams are Aledo of 2013 and 2008 Lake Travis. Aledo did look good against HP and Brenham but a lot of teams they played against were inferior

And yep I'm going to compare D line, linebackers, DBs, etc. Can I say LT had the better LBs while Aledo had the better run defense?

Also, I can't find good film on Aledo O line. Unless someone watches the entire Aledo vs brenham game and longview vs LT game. But that's not practical right now and longview was much better than brenham
            Last edited by BamaCrimsonTide; 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...