X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bass
    Special Teams
    • Aug 2015

1983 Daingerfield Tigers

For those who don't know, the 1983 3A State Champion Daingerfield Tigers outscored their opponents 631-8. They had 14 shutouts (13 consecutive) and the 8 points they allowed came off a safety and an interception return. Yes, the defense never allowed a score and scored 76 points themselves.

Did anyone see this team play? Do you think a modern team could ever post the same numbers? Was their competition abysmal? Would they have beat 5A champion Judson that year? What about 1985 Yates?

Def. Carthage 10-6
    Def. Gilmer 14-0
    Def. Kilgore 35-2
    Def. Linden-Kildare 27-0
    Def. Queen City 76-0
    Def. De Kalb 48-0
    Def. New Boston 56-0
    Def. Paul Pewitt 42-0
    Def. Hughes Springs 32-0
    Def. Hooks 45-0
    Def. Clarksville 43-0
    Def. Robinson 22-0
    Def. Kaufman 46-0
    Def. Gladewater 51-0
    Def. Post 42-0
    Def. Sweeny 42-0
  • Bass
    Special Teams
    • Aug 2015

Comment

• Farmer
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Bass
      For those who don't know, the 1983 3A State Champion Daingerfield Tigers outscored their opponents 631-8. They had 14 shutouts (13 consecutive) and the 8 points they allowed came off a safety and an interception return. Yes, the defense never allowed a score and scored 76 points themselves.

Did anyone see this team play? Do you think a modern team could ever post the same numbers? Was their competition abysmal? Would they have beat 5A champion Judson that year? What about 1985 Yates?

Def. Carthage 10-6
      Def. Gilmer 14-0
      Def. Kilgore 35-2
      Def. Linden-Kildare 27-0
      Def. Queen City 76-0
      Def. De Kalb 48-0
      Def. New Boston 56-0
      Def. Paul Pewitt 42-0
      Def. Hughes Springs 32-0
      Def. Hooks 45-0
      Def. Clarksville 43-0
      Def. Robinson 22-0
      Def. Kaufman 46-0
      Def. Gladewater 51-0
      Def. Post 42-0
      Def. Sweeny 42-0
      I was 2 when this team played but I wish I could have seen them play. Statistically speaking they are the most dominant team to play HS football in The modern era in Texas. In a 16 game season I'm doubt we will ever see this kind of dominance again on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I would love to contribute more but all I know about this team is what I've read and that video you posted that I saw a few years ago.

Comment

• Bass
        Special Teams
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

I was 2 when this team played but I wish I could have seen them play. Statistically speaking they are the most dominant team to play HS football in The modern era in Texas. In a 16 game season I'm doubt we will ever see this kind of dominance again on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I would love to contribute more but all I know about this team is what I've read and that video you posted that I saw a few years ago.
        I wish I had a better feel for whether they'd be able to compete with today's teams. Go one play at a time and they probably stack up, but with as many players as there were going two ways for 5A champions like Permian I've gotta think a 3A school was even more dependent on it. I need to find a roster.

Comment

• Farmer
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Bass

I wish I had a better feel for whether they'd be able to compete with today's teams. Go one play at a time and they probably stack up, but with as many players as there were going two ways for 5A champions like Permian I've gotta think a 3A school was even more dependent on it. I need to find a roster.
          if there was ever a team in the 80s that was in the 3A and under class that could play with a 5A or 4A champion then it would have to be this Daingerfield team I would think. Remember back then even your bigger schools would still play guys both ways. Lloyd Hill was a starting DB and WR for Permian and plenty of other 5A schools had guys going both ways

Comment

Working...