X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasBob
    Hall of Fame
    • May 2015

Big and Bright

Big and Bright is a book about the 2012 football season in Texas. Gray Levy, a football coach from Reno, Nevada, came to Texas in 2012 and spent the week with 11 teams, from zero week through week 10. It is surprisingly good. Below is a review i wrote for Amazon:

When I first heard that a Reno, Nevada high school football coach was coming to Texas for the 2012 football season to find out what Texas High School football was all about, I was skeptical. A long list of writers, journalist and sports writers from out of state have come to Texas to “see” High School football with their own agenda and to show us the error of our ways and our miss placed emphasis on Football in our educational institutions. In the end, they just didn’t get it.

Coach Gray Levy came to Texas with an open mind. He didn’t come to see football in Texas, he came to live it. It did that by doing several things right. First he spent time in rural Texas and urban Texas. Second, he stayed close to each of the eleven teams for at least a week. Third, he became part of the team’s community. And lastly he included teams from six man football to the largest classifications.
    Big and Bright by Gray Levy is a good read for football fans. It takes you in the locker rooms of Texas high school football all across Texas. If you don’t understand Texas High School football this book will help you get it.

The first time Coach Spike Dykes’ Texas Tech Red Raiders beat Texas, a reporter ask him,
    “Coach, would you say this is one of the biggest wins in your coaching career?” Spike replied, “Oh, I don't know. When I was at Coahoma, I thought it was a pretty big win when we beat Aspermont for the district title.”
    Spike Dyke gets It.

After reading “Big and Bright” I believe Coach Gray Levy gets it.
  • JagFan
    1st Team
    • Apr 2015

Thanks for letting us know. Can't wait to read it.

Comment

• mojotrain
      2nd Team
      • Jun 2015

This is on my bucket list. Thanks Bob.

Comment

• Jayhawker332
        Practice Squad
        • Jul 2015

Just started a book called Gridiron Dynasties: Texas by Gavin Kralick. Not too far in but it's very good so far.

Comment

Working...