Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Moreau’s Jullen Ison produces

Jullen Ison can recall his first moment as a running back as if it were yesterday.

On the first day of practice, coach Junior Tautalatasi was running a hitting drill and having players line up at the position they wanted to play.

“I went right to the running-back line,” said Ison, a senior at Moreau Catholic-Hayward and among the East Bay’s top running backs.

[...] I remember coach saying, ‘Are you sure that’s what you want?’ I replied, ‘Yes, sir,’ and went as hard as I could.

Five years later, he’s well on his way to also finding a spot among the most accomplished players in Bay Area history.

A four-year varsity player with offers from Montana State, UC Davis, University of San Diego and Northern Colorado, Ison rushed for 2,944 yards and 43 touchdowns last season, each figure surpassing those of Antioch mega-recruit and Alabama-commit Najee Harris.

The Mariners have become a North Coast Section Division IV power behind Ison and his senior classmates.

The team began this season among the favorites for the NCS title following an 11-2 season that ended in a 31-27 semifinal loss to eventual-champion Marin Catholic-Kentfield.

[...] nothing about the season opener suggested Moreau Catholic has been miscast.

The visiting Mariners steamrolled St. Mary’s-Berkeley 34-7 with Ison gaining 282 yards on 29 carries and scoring once.

Alex Johnson added rushed 89 yards on 11 rushes and quarterback Kenry Jourdan completed 6 of 8 passes for 85 yards and three scores.

The Warriors are six-time defending Oakland Athletic League champions who — despite a fair amount of roster turnover following a 12-1 season — began this year with a 26-6 victory over El Cerrito.

Najee Harris had 490 yards from scrimmage (396 rushing) and five TDs in last year’s 47-22 Antioch win.

More often than not, Serra coach Patrick Walsh has his Padres prepped enough to stay competitive against his alma mater — but a young defense will make it extra challenging this time.

In a new offering featured on SFGate.com, The Chronicle will be live streaming several high school football games.

More...
Working...