Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Freedom tops Foothill for NCS Division I softball title

The softball teams at Freedom-Oakley and Foothill-Pleasanton played a North Coast Section Division I title game Friday at St. Mary’s College that clearly meant more than a championship banner.

Freedom devoted its season to former assistant and Hayward police Sgt. Scott Lunger, who was shot and killed in July while making a traffic stop.

Foothill players dedicated their season to head coach Matt Sweeney, who was diagnosed with throat cancer in February.

The game was settled when Freedom’s Allyson Ferreira singled home a run in the top of the eighth inning and pitcher Vanessa Strong made it stand up for a 1-0 victory as the Falcons (19-3) won their eighth NCS title.

Lunger, who coached Freedom for six seasons, used to say during away games, “Let’s finish this business trip.”

“He gave us something to play for every inning,” said Freedom head coach Brook Russo, one of Lunger’s best friends.

Freedom’s eighth-inning rally began when Kalissa Heihn singled off Nalani Scates (five-hitter) and pinch-runner Mackinsey Nelson moved to second on a sacrifice by No. 9 hitter Bre Fernandez.

With the bases loaded, Mendez robbed Strong of extra bases in the sixth with a backhand stab in left-center field.

Foothill also pulled off a nifty 5-2-3 double play in the eighth to prevent a bigger rally.

More...
Working...