Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Tough non-district prepared Lions for Wylie

The Brownwood Lions are a battle tested team as they prepare for their district opener with the 10th ranked Wylie Bulldogs.
    Here's Mary Margaret with more from Brownwood.
    The Brownwood Lions started head coach Kyle Maxfield's second season with a 3-2 record in non-district games. After taking on some tough teams, the Lions feel it's helped them get ready for the real test of the season: district.
    "When you play good teams that are better than teams in our district, it really gets you ready because we may lose those, but whenever you play worse teams than them it really makes it a lot easier to game plan," Patrick Nash said.
    "3-2, you'd always like to be 5-0 but we've played some very quality opponents and our kids have played hard and we've gotten better," coach Kyle Maxfield said.
    "Offense and defensively we've seen a lot, we've seen a lot of good players, a lot of good coaches bringing a lot of good things to us," Hunter Mares said.
    "It's going to help us get ready for Wylie because they have a good coaching staff and a lot of good athletes."
    Brownwood opens up district on Friday against Wylie, a team that the Lions haven't beaten since 2010, before any of these guys were in high school. But putting that record aside, the Lions are feeling confident going into district play.
    "We're excited because for the past, I don't know how many years, they've beat us," Nash said.
    "I think this is our best opportunity in a long time to win. I think we have the athletes and we have the coaches to do it this year."
    But the main goal for this team is to start District 3-4A off 1-0.
    "Wylie, they're going to bring their A-Game to the table for us, we're going to bring our A-Game to the table for them," Mares said.
    "They have a lot of good athletes and a good coaching staff, they're going to be coached well and they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot, so we're going to have to play our best."
    "We feel like we've got a great group of kids that are willing to start district off on the right foot," Maxfield said.
    Brownwood and Wylie clash at Bulldog Stadium on Friday at 7:30.

More...
Working...