Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

The football miracle in Roby

Something incredible is going on in Roby. The Lions entered the 2017 season with exactly zero wins in the last two years.
    This year, they are undefeated after four games.
    We sent Brianne to see what's powering the turn around, and she found out the players are almost as surprised as the rest of the state.
    Caleb Smith said, "It was shocking. I knew we could do it. I just didn't know when it was going to happen, and we got the first one. It was just, probably one of the happiest days of my life."
    That day Caleb is talking about was his first win as a Roby Lion, and he's a senior. Most of the guys on this Roby team didn't know what it was like to win a game coming into the season, but now they're rolling.
    Kyler Covington said, "We're having a lot of fun. Really, I mean practices it's really fun, and winning, I mean it's something that we didn't ever really see these past couple of years, so winning is really fun."
    So why now? There's not a new coach, no star player moved in, so why are the Lions winning now?
    Steven Grigsby said, "They're starting to believe in each other. They want to work for each other, and they call each other out, so it's a big deal. We emphasize playing for somebody bigger than yourself, and we believe it's a team, and we believe the team is our family."
    Covington said, "Just everybody's working together. It's not a selfish thing. It's not a selfish game anymore."
    Like you heard the team say, they're playing for something bigger than themselves, and they even have a sticker to represent that. They have an opportunity to accept it or decline it at the beginning of the season, and it's on the back and it's a circle. You'll see it on the field on game day, and it means either Glory to God or goal line to goal line, so it's just an everyday reminder.
    Smith said, "We're playing for God. Like no matter whether we win or we lose, you know glory goes to God."
    Grisgsby said, "You can see it in how they play. You can see it in how they talk, and how they act in practice. How they act on the field."
    It's pretty incredible when you think about it. No wins since 2014, and now they're 4-0. They're used to being the underdogs and hope the teams in their district keep looking at them as underdogs.
    Grigsby said, "We pray that they're looking at us saying, it's just Roby because we're going to shock and awe people."
    The Lions hope to take that momentum into a tough district schedule, and they definitely have confidence right now.
    The Lions host Springlake-Earth tomorrow night.

More...
Working...