Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Eastland's Vasquez blazing his own path

It's not uncommon for smaller schools to have guys play a couple different positions, and for Eastland, David Vasquez has his hands full.
    James Morton said, "We ask a lot out of him. He's playing like four positions, and that's just on the offensive side of the ball, and he's done a good job of learning that and continuing to get better."
    Vasquez said, "Just one step at a time, and then I'll find the endzone."
    David got some playing time in 2016, but the majority of the work fell on Chris Martinez. It's nice for the Mavericks to have a guy like Vasquez who can step right in, but the two definitely aren't the same.
    Morton said, "Chris brought an extra dimension that David doesn't bring, but at the same time David brings a dimension that Chris doesn't have."
    Jayden Pierce said, "Not exactly like Chris, but he's a hard runner. He's fast, he's quick, and Chris would just lower his shoulder and go through people. so they're pretty similar. It's pretty nice to have someone like that."
    David is obviously a huge asset to this Maverick offense, and the fact that he's playing four positions right now really shows the kind of player he is bringing energy and passion and hustle on the field, and Coach Morton loves that about David, but the two didn't always see eye to eye.
    Morton said, "Last year he was in my dog house a lot. We butted heads a whole lot. I think he finally figured out that Coach Morton's head was harder than his, but I think he, you know he's just made some choices off the field I think to make better decisions."
    David has over 300 total yards and 5 touchdowns after three weeks of play, but of course, none of that happens without the help of his O-Line.
    Vasquez said, "Oh without them I wouldn't be able to score. They put all the hard work in, pushing sleds and doing that extra step no other team is doing."
    David and the Mavericks will be challenged Friday night when they take on top ranked Wall.

More...
Working...