Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Abram Smith Scores 7 Touchdowns in 55-38 Win Over Cooper

The Crosstown Showdown was a high scoring shootout this season with Abilene High's Abram Smith leading the way with a school record 7 touchdowns in the game.

The Eagles jumped out to a good start leading 14-0 before Cooper's offense even took the field. The Coogs had three turnovers in the game, and head coach Del Van Cox was pleased that his guys took advantage of the field position.

"There are just so many things that happen," Cox said. "We got two turnovers and you just hope you're on the good end of those things, and we were fortunate to get those tonight, and set us up in some good field position, so I mean Coach Moebes had those guys, had a good week of practice, and it showed. They played a lot better, but our kids did too. I was proud of the way they played."

The Eagles went into the half leading 42-24, and they kept on rolling in the second half.

Abram Smith scored his seventh and final touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter, and that broke the previous record of 6 touchdowns set by Reese Childress. Smith was happy with his performance, but said he didn't even know he set a record.

"I mean it's amazing. Just playing the game it just kind of came," Smith said. "I didn't know until I think about 4th quarter when the players started telling me. I mean I just come out here to do my part, do my job. I got to give it up for the people up in the front. The O-Line, man they did an outstanding job in the trenchees, and I'm just thankful for them."

The Cougars played tough with several good runs from Tyrees Whitfield and Devin Johnson, as well as two touchdowns in the first quarter from Austin Smith.

93 total points were scored in the game. That's the same number as last year which is a record high.

Abilene High takes this one 55-38. The Eagles move to 2-1 on the season, and the Cougars fall to 1-2.

More...
Working...