Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Warren's Wisdom: Crosstown Showdown

Brianne Welch talks to Steve Warren about the upcoming Crosstown Showdown.

Brianne Welch said, "Alright it's time for another episode of Warren's Wisdom. Every Monday we talk to former Abilene High head coach Steve Warren about high school football, college football, and we're going to talk high school football first. Coach this week is the Crosstown Showdown. Abilene High vs. Cooper, and it's my first Crosstown Showdown, so I'm excited for it. Just talk to me a little bit about the atmosphere and what it's like to Abilene."

Steve Warren said, "Well, welcome to the Crosstown Showdown week. It's crazy is what it is. There's a lot of people that have multiple schools in towns, but when you just have two schools, somebody draws a line in the sand, and you're on one side or the other, and it's a big deal in Abilene. They'll be 15- 17,000 people out there, and they'll all be going crazy. Two good football teams. Well coached football teams, and the whole week's really nuts, so good luck to you this week. You're going to have a lot of fun enjoying a really good cross town game."

Brianne said, "Thank you, and for the players and coaches, I know it's real easy to get caught up in the emotions around a big rivalry, what would you tell, what did you tell your players, and what would you tell these coaches about it?"

Warren said, "Well the hardest part is to keep them from playing the game too early. You want them to go out and have a normal week, because it is a normal week. This is week three, and these guys are not in district play yet, and they want to experience the highs and lows of a great rivalry game, and the fun part of it, but they've got to have a really normal week. If you spend all week getting all juiced up on Tuesday and Wednesday, you're going to be wore out by the time you get there and won't have any emotion left or passion or anything like that whenever you hit the field Friday. So the big thing for the coaches is to do everything they can to go about the week as normal as they can."

More...
Working...