Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Bearcats are Back and Ready for 2016

The Hawley Bearcats have been itching to get back on the field ever since their third round playoff loss last season to Stratford in 2016.

"I'm ecstatic, I'm so excited," senior quarterback Quay Stokes said. "We didn't have the greatest, we had a very good season but it ended too early for me, for all of us. I'm ready to get back out there and see what we can do."

So, during two a days, the Bearcats have been working on their speed.

Head coach Mitch Ables said, "we want to play fast, but we have to fine tune. We have some young guys that are going to be on the offensive line so we're trying to shear up the offensive line. We've got a couple holes to fill for graduation, so we've got some young guys really stepping up."

"We're just making sure we play fast and hard and sticking to what we know," Michael De La Garza said.

This season, the Bearcats are ready.

Cade Frazier said, "I just want to see us build as a team. The closer our team is, the better the team, the better things we'll be able to do."

"Just becoming ultimate teammates for each other, being a complete team, and having the accolades that we can receive," Stokes said. "A district title, a third round win, a state championship, all those accolades."

As the reigning district champs, they're going to have to fight each week to stay at the top.

"We've got to defend the title, we know it's going to be tough," Ables said. "Our district's one of the toughest in the state, so we know it's going to be tough. We talk all the time about defending the title. I just want our kids to play hard and give it all they've got."

And everyone is ready to get back under those Friday night lights.

"See them compete at a game level," Stokes said. "We compete at practice but it's always different when you go against someone in different colors."

The Bearcats will be able to prove themselves when they take on Munday next week.

Some BCH Sports Quick Hits for the Bearcats: Quarterback Quay Stokes returns to lead the offense. Stokes has started since his freshman year, and after making it to the third round of playoffs in 2015.. the team is picked second in their district

More...
Working...