Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

AHS and CHS Quarterbacks Return

When fans think of the offense of their football team, most fans start with the quarterback.

Who's playing quarterback? How much experience does he have? How well did he do last year?

At Abilene High and Cooper, the answers are simple. Peyton Killam and Austin Smith both have a year of experience, and both led their teams to the playoffs.

Killam is back to lead the Abilene High offense after a very successful first year under center.

In 2015, Killam was the brand new quarterback for brand new head coach Del Van Cox.

The combination worked out pretty well.

Killam helped lead the Eagles to the playoffs for the sixteenth time in seventeen years.

With that first year under his belt, Killam and his head coach are looking forward to an even better 2016.

Killam said, "I'm definitely ready. I'm comfortable, yeah, I know the plays, and so I'm just out here hitting my receivers in stride. Just day by day working."

Del Van Cox said, "Peyton has come a long way in his growth as a quarterback. He's making great throws and great reads. His reads are a lot faster."

Killam said, "Coach Todd took me under his wing, and just teaching me plays. Teaching me mechanics, and I think it'll be good."

Over at Cooper, Austin Smith is back for a second year to lead the Cougars offense in 2016.

Smith won a 2-man competition to start last season, and he took off from there.

Smith led an offense that included six other underclassmen to a runner-up finish in district play, and to the third round of the playoffs for the sixth time in eight years.

Now, it's time for year number two as the starter. More is expected from the returner, and Smith says he's ready to go.

Smith said, "I think the speed of the game got a little easier to me. The offense has definitely got easier for me, and this year I'm just thinking to build off more just off my teammates. I'm really ready to bond with them more and just grow with the team, and ready to take the team farther than we ever have before."

Todd Moebes said, "The chemistry that we have offensively is very very good, and it's easy to say because we have so many guys coming back, but even the new pieces that we've been able to put in certainly have been moving very very efficiently.">>

This is scrimmage week for the Cougars and the Eagles.

Abilene High is at home on Friday night to scrimmage Copperas Cove at Shotwell Stadium.

Cooper hits the road on Friday to face former district rival San Angelo Central.

More...
Working...