Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Training Camp Officially Opens

It was 75 degrees and sunny Friday morning when Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett, team Vice President Stephen Jones and General Manager Jerry Jones addressed the media, looking forward to the upcoming season.

Right now, they're looking at the world through rose-colored glasses despite recent player suspensions and the usual concern over the health of play makers like quarterback Tony Romo and wide receiver Dez Bryant who missed a number of games last year with injuries.

"Boy I am excited I had visions of sugar plums," Jerry Jones said. "Seeing that number nine roll out there for our practices, number 88, number 32 and of course number 25 back in uniform, working on the field again."

It's going to take a lot of work for the Cowboys, who finished last season 4-12, to get back being a force in the NFC. After going 1-11 without Tony Romo, who missed a majority of last season with a broken collar bone, Jerry Jones says his staff is not going to live in the "when's he going to come back" mentality.

"Tony had a great offseason. He did more this offseason than he probably has in the last three or four years, so having said that we're going to take his situation day by day," Garrett said.

With the addition of running back Ezekiel Elliott, this year's fourth overall draft pick out of Ohio State, the Cowboys' offense has the potential to be lethal.

"You know I think we've put together one of the better offenses that we've had in this organization in many, many years, and it also comes with a lot of depth and as we saw last year you need it," Stephen Jones said.

The Cowboys will also be needing depth on the other side of the ball as linebackers Rolando McClain and Randy Gregory have been placed on the reserve, did not report list. Both players will be suspended at the start of the regular season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Jerry Jones has made it clear that setbacks like suspensions will not deter his team from their ultimate goal, winning ball games. The on-the-field action begins Saturday, the official first day of practice.

More...
Working...