Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Cooper Putting in Work in Spring Practice

Spring practice in underway across the state, and it's no different here in the Key City. The Cooper Cougars hit the ground running, and are excited to strap on the pads.

Austin Smith said, "It's good to be back out here and being with the guys and getting some reps and doing what's fun."

Zach Goodson said, "We've been working all off-season. We have a lot of young guys that stepped up this year and got it done in the weight room. Just got done with testing to see where all the guys got to and got some confidence, and now we're strapped up."

The Cougars return an astounding 15 starters from last years third round playoff team. That's almost unheard of at this level.

Smith said, "It definitely makes the whole team confident and knowing that you have a guy next to you that's going to go out and ball out and be by your side, no matter what, and compete.

Goodson said, "A bunch of starters back and a bunch of leaders are going to be seniors and have been out here since our sophomore year. I think it's a whole lot more easier. Everything comes back to you a lot quicker. We've been through it before. This isn't our first time."

Having that many returners helps practice flow.

Head coach Todd Moebes said, "I think our tempo is good. Our pace is good. I think our retention is good. Not only from the guys coming back, but from the guys that are making the transition and moving up."

One difference from last season is Austin Smith comes in as the entrenched starter at QB. Last season was huge for the rising senior.

Smith said, "Well, knowing the offense has definitely helped me out a lot. Coming in last year, I was only in for Spring ball for a week, so I knew absolutely nothing, especially with the new offense. We're just adding more to our offense. Coming in this year, I feel a lot more confident and relaxed, so it's a lot better."

Spring practice for the Cougs will continue for the next few weeks, wrapping up with the Red/Blue game on May 19th at Shotwell Stadium.

More...
Working...