X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle2
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Big 12

Great comments by former high school & current Kansas Coach David Beaty on Texas high school football and the coaching fraternity during Big 12 media day:

David Beaty’s first words at his first Big 12 media days weren’t about his team or the conference. They were about returning to Dallas and the level of high school football in the area.

“One of the big things for me is we are located right now in one of the finest, most fertile grounds for high school athletes in the country, and those athletes are coached by some of the finest high school coaches in the country,” Beaty said. “I’m an old Texas high school football coach, and I consider those guys to be my brothers. So it’s a good deal for me to be back here today around those guys.”

Beaty graduated from Garland. He started his coaching career as an assistant at Garland Naaman Forest before moving on to Garland and then becoming the head coach at North Dallas and, eventually, Irving MacArthur.

Beaty left MacArthur in 2006 to become an assistant at Rice. He was also an assistant at Kansas and Texas A&M before being named the head coach of the Jayhawks in December. Beaty named former Arlington Bowie coach Kenny Perry to his co-defensive coordinator.

The staff has spent its early time at Kansas recruiting the Dallas area hard offering scholarships to a number of athletes. They’ve already secured a verbal commitment from Mansfield Timberview wide receiver Braylon Royal, the No. 50 player in SportsDayHS’ Top 100 recruits for 2016.

“It’s crucial. That’s what we will draw on,” Beaty said of his connections to Texas high school football coaches. “I left a coaching convention last night around 9:00. I got here around 11:30. … There was 13,000 to 15,000 coaches there. There’s 21,000 people in that membership, and that is a brotherhood. And I am proud to be part of that brotherhood. I’ll never relinquish that title. It’s a big deal for me to know that I was and still am at heart a Texas high school football coach. A lot of pride in that.”

source:Michael Florek DMN
Working...