X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle2
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Jim Harbaugh and Satellite Camps in Texas

Interesting concept. Is this a good thing if it is all for the athlete? Will we see more of this in the future by coaches? Or is this just another way to skirt the recruiting rules? What say ye.

“These camps give student-athletes an opportunity to showcase their abilities,” Mathieu said, “in this case, to multiple colleges at different levels. Not all families can afford to go to the colleges for their camps. I like the satellite camp philosophy where they bring colleges to the neighborhood.”

The SEC and ACC prohibit guest coaching at satellite camps like Tuesday’s, held by Showtyme Elite, a company launched by a Dallas ISD teacher specifically to facilitate such events. Michigan is hardly the only school getting around the NCAA rule that limits programs to hosting camps within 50 miles of campus. There’s no NCAA rule against a coach volunteering at other camps, and being an ambassador for his program — all over the place.

For
    0%
    Against
    0%
    Neutral
    100.00%
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

I believe it is just a way to skirt the current rules regarding recruiting and dead periods. Schools in the Big 10 and like OU and OSU need these far more than schools in the SEC or Pac 12 or Texas due to the abundance of talent in those areas.
    Harbough isn't a dummy with this and knows in order to be successful he has to find a pipeline to Texas as well as the Southeast

Comment

• svhorns
      All State
      • Apr 2015

The University of Texas is not allowed to put on satellite camps, university rules. Tech put one on in East Texas last weekend. I'm glad you brought this up though, did anyone see what Harbaugh was wearing at the Dallas Showtyme Camp?

Comment

• Eagle2
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
        I believe it is just a way to skirt the current rules regarding recruiting and dead periods. Schools in the Big 10 and like OU and OSU need these far more than schools in the SEC or Pac 12 or Texas due to the abundance of talent in those areas.
        Harbough isn't a dummy with this and knows in order to be successful he has to find a pipeline to Texas as well as the Southeast
        Yes that was my thought as well. Just another clever way(volunteer) to circumvent the recruiting rules. Gotta admit pretty smart. Much like some hs coaches have figured out ways to recruit (lol).

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎