X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Post spring practice thoughts?

With most teams ending spring ball what are your thoughts concerning your team?

I'm not one that gets overly excited about spring ball or doing games but it is nice getting reports of football related activity.

As for UGa the 4 biggest area of concerns for me are the following:

1 - replacing Mike Bobo as OC. Bobo turned out to become one of the very best play callers in the SEC. His offenses remained balanced and actually became unlredictable over his years as a coordinator. I'm concerned that Brian Schottenhymer is going to be able to call plays at the level that Bobo did. But time will tell.

2 - QB. It's down to Brice Ramsey or Faton Bauta. Two QBs with different styles. Ramsey has the best arm of any Georgia QB since Staffird but his accuracy is concerning. Bauta is more of an athlete and could give UGA something they haven't had since DJ Shockley and that is a noble QB. With the stable of RBs on campus I'm not sure adding a dual threat QB is really something that would give UGA any kind of edge.

3 - WR depth, Malcolm Mitchell returns but replacing the productivity of Chris Conley and Michael Bennet won't be easy. There is speedster and super sophomore Isiah McKenzie and Justin Scott Wesley who has been plagued by injuries. Also Incoming freshman Terry Godwin is expected to make a splash. UGA TE JEb Blazevjch is very reliable and a matchup nightmare for a lot of the OLBs and safeties in football today so if we can get create some depth and develop the big play this group could be good.

4 - secondary. It is a young one but also a year older in Jeremy Pruitts defense . The front, in particular the pass rush with guys like Flloyd, carter and Jordan Jenkins the secondary had some chances to make some plays and should have some picks this year.

Between the front 7, OL, stable of RBs and schedule this team could be the best UGA team since 2002 if they can get some production out of those 3 positions
    Last edited by Farmer; 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM.
  • austin109
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2015

Only thing that worries me about UGA is Schottenhymer. I finished watching the UGA spring game feeling pretty underwhelmed considering the athletic talent available. Not even the complex plays. Just basic bread and butter plays were not performed well and were extremely predictable. I do think the defense will look pretty ferocious in the backfield with some solid pass rush.

Comment

• austin109
      Practice Squad
      • Apr 2015

Aggies:

In my opinion we're looking at a 9-3/10-2 kind of year. I say that on the SEC west looking off more so than I see dramatic improvement. I think having Kyle Allen as a starting QB and getting a lot of reps will have a tremendous effect on the offense. I think the Zone read attack being brought in by Christianson plays more to the talent set of the RBs on campus rather than the pedestrian crap we had last year. Chavis should obviously have a profound benefit on the defense as well. However I dont think this team will be a contender like some are hoping. I think a lack of experience at LB, an inexperienced set of corners, and a shift in playcalling will have a few oops moments.

To me it looks like LSU, Miss State, and Ole Miss will be way down. I think the Chavis loss will hurt LSU WAY more than they realize. Miss State lost most of their D. Ole Miss is replacing bodies all over the place. Auburn and Bama are my 2 penciled in losses with Arkansas being a candidate for spoiler.

I do think the Chavis and Christianson hires are homeruns though. This team NEEDED a read option game in the worst way (Johnny was all improv and we didn't run much option at all) and a competent defense wins them a ton of games from the last 3 years let alone an LSU level one.

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

A lot of people are high on Arkansas and with good reason. I really like what Bielema has going there and love watching Alex Collins and Williams run behind that massive OLine. I think Arkansas beats Auburn in Fayetteville this year. I also think there is more upside with this Arkansas team than there is with Tennessee and a lot of people seem to be real high on Tennessee. I'm not sold on 2015 Tennessee yet

Comment

• austin109
          Practice Squad
          • Apr 2015

Me either. Last years Tennessee had all the tools to be a monster and they got beat down pretty good. Granted they should be better than before but thats still pretty bad. Arkansas is going to be a bitch to bring down this year. Luckily they lost their 3 best defensive players.

Weird thing I want to see this year? Georgia just flat out commit to the run and do something similar to Trinitys time warp. They have the bodies and the talent in the trenches and in the backfield to just physically dominate all of their opponents. Smash their faces in.

Comment

• Farmer
            All District
            • Apr 2015

UGa could be really run heavy this year, it's going to depend on the progression of the QBs and the ability to develop some WRs as well as keeping the stable of RBs healthy. If Michele, Marshall and Douglas can all come back and stay healthy then that would be a very formidable backfield, with Jacob Eason coming in 2016 then you just may see UGa stick to a more ground oriented offense than they have had.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎