X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Week 3 - Abilene High vs. Abilene Cooper

Cross town showdown at Shotwell, Friday at 7:30. Listen live here!

Abilene comes in at 2-0.
    Cooper comes in at 1-1.

Cooper was mauled by Central during their recent scrimmage. Central amassed over 700 yards, scored every time they got the ball (something like 11 times) yet word on the street was that Cooper walked away without a worry in the world. Cooper took then #6 5A Vandergrift to the wire last week, losing by only a point.

So, who wins?

Abilene High
    100.00%
    Abilene Cooper
    0%

The poll is expired.

• Abilenefan
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

This game is interesting and could be one of the best cross town games in a while. The offenses seem to be evely matched. Abilene has the better run defense and Cooper possibly the better pass defense. I could be wrong but I think this one gets decided in the last 5 minutes. Abilene will need to pick up their focus and intensity in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I think it will come down to Abilene's pass defense defending the a decent Coogar pass offense vs. Coogar's run defense playing against Abilene strong running attack. Abilene wins by 10.

Comment

• Shady12
      2nd Team
      • Apr 2015

Like I've said everywhere else.... PECK OUT THEIR EYES BIRD, PECK OUT THEIR EYES!

Comment

• mojotrain
        2nd Team
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Abilenefan
        This game is interesting and could be one of the best cross town games in a while. The offenses seem to be evely matched. Abilene has the better run defense and Cooper possibly the better pass defense. I could be wrong but I think this one gets decided in the last 5 minutes. Abilene will need to pick up their focus and intensity in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I think it will come down to Abilene's pass defense defending the a decent Coogar pass offense vs. Coogar's run defense playing against Abilene strong running attack. Abilene wins by 10.
        Just a outsiders opinion but I think you are a sand bagger!

Comment

• Eagle82
          All District
          • Apr 2015

No sand bagging here.

Abilene 49
          Cooper 21

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
            Special Teams
            • May 2015

I think it's close too....AHS 35 CHS 24

Comment

• Shady12
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

I think it's close too....AHS 35 CHS 24

That is the score that I am picking.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                Special Teams
                • May 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

That is the score that I am picking.
                You know what they say about great minds.....

Comment

• Eagledad
                  Special Teams
                  • Aug 2015

As I tend to analyze stats here you go on the crosstown showdown and my thoughts;
                  COOPER ABILENE
                  RUSHING OFFENSE
                  Att 73 90
                  Yds 588 580
                  Avg 8.05 6.44
                  PASSING OFFENSE
                  Att 30 30
                  Comp 20 23
                  Yds 248 253
                  Completion Percentage 66.67% 76.67%
                  Total Offensive Plays 103 120
                  Total Offensive Yards 836 833
                  Average per play 8.12 6.94
                  Turnovers 0 0
                  Points 74 70
                  DEFENSE
                  Takeaway's 2 4
                  Passing yards allowed 462 455
                  Attempts 62 57
                  Completions 37 28
                  Allowed Completion Percentage 59.68% 49.12%
                  Rushing Yards Allowed 746 101
                  Attempts 97 57
                  Rush yards allowed per attempt 7.69 1.77
                  Total Yards Allowed 1208 556
                  Total Plays 159 114
                  Average yards per attempt 7.60 4.88
                  Points Allowed 75 30
                  Offensively these two teams are about as close to equal as you can get. However if you analyze the games played and opponents there is one significant point to make.........................Cooper played two close games and kept the throttle and the starters in the game. Abilene had throttle off and starters out for basically most of the 4th quarter against Warren and in the end the throttle off against Heritage. Had Abilene kept pushing would those stats still be this close? Who knows but what can be deciphered is both offenses are good and both protect the ball. It appears Cooper has relied more on the big play while Abilene has been more of a ball control type offense. Advantage.................NEUTRAL.

Defensively there is significant difference............The assumed, subjective and appearance is Abilene has the weaker secondary by my fellow Eagle fans............however.....Abilene is allowing a completion rate of less than 50% compared to Cooper 60% (both rounded). Additionally, Cooper is allowing nearly 8 yards per attempt on the ground compared to Abilene under 2 yards per attempt. ABilene has the advantage in takeaways at 4 compared to 2. Abilene has allowed less than 1/2 the points Cooper has. Advantage ....................ABILENE

I think this game will be close within 10 points at half but Abilene will pull away in the 2nd half......................Final................... .42 - 14 Abilene

Comment

• mike03car
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2015

AHS 35 (our number this year)
                    CHS < 35 (it is all that matters)

nyah nyah!

Comment

• mike03car
                      Special Teams
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad
                      As I tend to analyze stats here you go on the crosstown showdown and my thoughts;
                      COOPER ABILENE
                      RUSHING OFFENSE
                      Att 73 90
                      Yds 588 580
                      Avg 8.05 6.44
                      PASSING OFFENSE
                      Att 30 30
                      Comp 20 23
                      Yds 248 253
                      Completion Percentage 66.67% 76.67%
                      Total Offensive Plays 103 120
                      Total Offensive Yards 836 833
                      Average per play 8.12 6.94
                      Turnovers 0 0
                      Points 74 70
                      DEFENSE
                      Takeaway's 2 4
                      Passing yards allowed 462 455
                      Attempts 62 57
                      Completions 37 28
                      Allowed Completion Percentage 59.68% 49.12%
                      Rushing Yards Allowed 746 101
                      Attempts 97 57
                      Rush yards allowed per attempt 7.69 1.77
                      Total Yards Allowed 1208 556
                      Total Plays 159 114
                      Average yards per attempt 7.60 4.88
                      Points Allowed 75 30
                      Offensively these two teams are about as close to equal as you can get. However if you analyze the games played and opponents there is one significant point to make.........................Cooper played two close games and kept the throttle and the starters in the game. Abilene had throttle off and starters out for basically most of the 4th quarter against Warren and in the end the throttle off against Heritage. Had Abilene kept pushing would those stats still be this close? Who knows but what can be deciphered is both offenses are good and both protect the ball. It appears Cooper has relied more on the big play while Abilene has been more of a ball control type offense. Advantage.................NEUTRAL.

Defensively there is significant difference............The assumed, subjective and appearance is Abilene has the weaker secondary by my fellow Eagle fans............however.....Abilene is allowing a completion rate of less than 50% compared to Cooper 60% (both rounded). Additionally, Cooper is allowing nearly 8 yards per attempt on the ground compared to Abilene under 2 yards per attempt. ABilene has the advantage in takeaways at 4 compared to 2. Abilene has allowed less than 1/2 the points Cooper has. Advantage ....................ABILENE

I think this game will be close within 10 points at half but Abilene will pull away in the 2nd half......................Final................... .42 - 14 Abilene
                      I hope it is that much of a runaway so our subs and non-starter seniors get playing time against the rivals!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                        Special Teams
                        • May 2015

All other things being equal, the most glaring stat is rushing yards allowed which is grossly in favor of AHS.....we'll see if the Blackshirts can stop the Coogs rushing attack or at least slow them down and I think they will. Close at half and Eagles pull away in the 2nd.

Comment

• mike03car
                          Special Teams
                          • Aug 2015

Cooper last week against Austin Vandy:
                          INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                          RUSHING — Devin Johnson 26-238, Austin Smith 1-6, Jwan Hong 1-0.
                          PASSING — Cooper, Austin Smith 13-20-0—177.
                          RECEIVING — Cooper, Aaron Anderson 7-140, Jwan Hong 3-9. Devin Johnson 2-16, Myller Royals 1-12.

Basically, one really good running back (like AHS until this season) and they attempted twice as many passes as the previous week (30 total for season, 20 last week).

Comment

• Eagledad
                            Special Teams
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                            Cooper last week against Austin Vandy:
                            INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                            RUSHING — Devin Johnson 26-238, Austin Smith 1-6, Jwan Hong 1-0.
                            PASSING — Cooper, Austin Smith 13-20-0—177.
                            RECEIVING — Cooper, Aaron Anderson 7-140, Jwan Hong 3-9. Devin Johnson 2-16, Myller Royals 1-12.

Basically, one really good running back (like AHS until this season) and they attempted twice as many passes as the previous week (30 total for season, 20 last week).

We haven't thrown 20 times yet! Last year 30 Plus attempts a game.....................If you go look at the film the scary part is the Johnson is getting alot of those yards on his own. He is a good back! If Abilene does shut him down with an average under 2 it will say something about the run defense and just how good they really are. If we hold them to less than 300 yards total it will say something about the Blackshirts as a unit.

I think after looking at the stats I have to agree this will tell us something about the defense.

Comment

• Shady12
                              2nd Team
                              • Apr 2015

Eagles gonna come out and throw 50 times just to show they can.

Comment

• mike03car
                                Special Teams
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad

We haven't thrown 20 times yet! Last year 30 Plus attempts a game.....................If you go look at the film the scary part is the Johnson is getting alot of those yards on his own. He is a good back! If Abilene does shut him down with an average under 2 it will say something about the run defense and just how good they really are. If we hold them to less than 300 yards total it will say something about the Blackshirts as a unit.

I think after looking at the stats I have to agree this will tell us something about the defense.
                                I'll be happy with bottling him up to 4yard/carry average since he's getting twice that against others. Under 2 or 3 yards will be a great Blackshirt testament for certain.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                  Special Teams
                                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Shady12
                                  Eagles gonna come out and throw 50 times just to show they can.

If we do that something has gone very wrong in the game!

Comment

• Eagle82
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

Traffic changes planned for Crosstown Showdown in Abilene

Abilene police are changing the traffic flow at Shotwell Stadium on Friday because of excess traffic from the football game and the West Texas Fair and Rodeo

Once the game is over, police will block off the entrance to Expo Drive from E. South 11th Street. Drivers will not be able to make a left or right turn onto Expo Drive.

Instead, APD asks that people picking up their students from the game use the Shotwell entrance at E. South 11th Street and Estates Drive.

"We'll try to get them out of there as fast as we can," said APD Sgt. Richard Waggoner. Waggoner encourages drivers to be patient following the game.

The showdown between Abilene High and Cooper High kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                      All District
                                      • Apr 2015

Crosstown hype is here for the Eagles and Cougars

ABILENE, TX - Friendships are left at the door of Shotwell Stadium as the Eagles and the Cougars take the football field on the last night of Crosstown week. This will be the 54th meeting between the two schools to continue their long standing tradition. And although its just another game, rivalry is still in the air.

"I mean the competitive nature in this town is very strong," said Cooper Head Coach Todd Moebes, "and you know it's greatly displayed in this football game."

On the other side of the field, Abilene High School Head Coach Del Van Cox states, "its bragging rights. We're not in the same district anymore but all of those kids want to be able to say they won for the year."

For Coach Cox and the Eagles that means earning another win after last years 38-7 victory. Its a new year and a new team, but for the Cougars and the Eagles, their pregame mindsets will stay the same.

"It's just more of a test for us," said Abilene High's Coy McMillon, " they have some weapons on the offense that we haven't faced yet this year." The junior tight end also wants this game to be a game the seniors will remember.

For the AHS Eagles, senior Jonathan Castaneda can't wait to compete in Crosstown one last time. "Just keep a good mindset and go out and know you have to execute on every play, but this is a very important game for us."

Crosstown comes as the third game in their non-district season which means both teams have experience under their belts. But this Friday night isn't like anything else they will see all season.

"Its a different environment because the stands are packed to the max and it just gives you a good feeling knowing your out there putting on a show for everybody," said Casteneda.

Coach Moebes adds, "Geographically we're not really close to anything so all the pride is here. Everybody's got their side of town they support and the streams are kinda crossed, but you know it makes it fun and thats whats exciting for the community."

Kickoff is set for 7:30PM Friday night.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Cougars Playing For Bragging Rights in Showdown

http://bit.ly/1ihYmYf

Abilene High and Cooper are set to meet Friday night for bragging rights in Abilene. For Cooper, this year's game is a chance retake control of the series after losing 8 of the last 10. It's also a time to face off against friends on the other team.

The Crosstown Showdown began in 1960 and has since been the highlight of the season for the whole city.

Kirey McAfee said, "As a child this is always something you dreamed of. The hype is all here."

Jonathan Castaneda said, "I have pictured myself in this spot since I was young. Since coming out to the games watching, wishing, man that could be me on the field one day, and its finally here."

The Cooper Cougars have fallen to The Abilene High Eagles for three of the last four years, but that is a pattern the Cougars want to change.

Caleb Freeman said, "Last year they got us, but hopefully we can get them this time."

Kirey McAfee said, "These past couple of years we haven't come out on top and this year we are a different team and I would like to see what Abilene High is bringing to the plate."

This year's showdown is not a district matchup, but that does not mean it loses its luster for the teams.

Coach Todd Moebes said, " Its Abilene High/Cooper. Its fun, its important. It means a lot to the supporters on both sides of town. That is what makes the rivalry important. That is what makes it special."

Jonathan Castaneda said, "We care because its for the bragging rights. Whoever wins this is the top school in this town."

There is no question this is a real rivalry, but what does this week mean for the Cougars and Eagles that are good friends?

Kirey McAfee said, "Its all just friendly competition, but its also pretty serious."

Jonathan Castaneda said,"While this game is going on, we are not friends."

Caleb Freeman said, "Its still competitive. We are not friends in the six seconds that the play is going on, but after the game, we are all buddies, doing our thing, hanging out on the weekends and everything. Its just a fun competitive game for us."

The leaders of these two squads feel the same way. Sure its a competition, but there is no lack of mutual respect.

Coach Todd Moebes said, "We talk and text all the time and congratulate each other. We are good friends. I respect him as a man and a father and a football coach. I'm looking forward to the chess match, because it always is one."

Coach Del Van Cox said, "He is a great friend and he knows us better than we know ourselves, so its going to be interesting to see what he's got up his sleeve."

Bottom line, whether you are friends or enemies, you want to win, especially when its the Crosstown Showdown.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                          Special Teams
                                          • May 2015

Can't wait....should be a good one tonight !!

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                            Special Teams
                                            • Apr 2015

Wrong. Thought it would be closer. Congratulations to our players on the win. Defense was huge tonight. Have not seen the stats but the starting d probably did not allow 30 yards rushing.
                                            Last edited by Abilenefan; 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Abilene High rolls 56-37
                                              Starters pulled early in the third.
                                              Cooper's stats will look decent against our 2nd and 3rd teamers in the 3rd and 4th.
                                              Score is misleading since Cooper's coach didn't feel his 2nd and 3rd teamers should get playing time in a game in which they were absolutely blown away. and had no chance of winning.

pic2.jpg

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

IMG_3569.JPG......

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

AHS rolls to win over Cooper in 55th Crosstown Showdown

ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene High Eagles took control of the 55th Crosstown Showdown early Friday and rolled to a 56-37 victory over the Cooper Cougars before a packed house at Shotwell Stadium.

Abilene High's Abram Smith rushed for 183 yards and four touchdowns, matching his career high for TDs in a game for the second week in a row, Immanuel Brown added two TDs and Peyton Killam ran for one score and passed for another as AHS improved to 3-0.

Meanwhile, the Eagle defense forced Cooper (1-2) into five turnovers, including four interceptions. The Cougars, like the Eagles, came into the game having not lost a turnover this season.

Linebacker Blake Proctor had two of the interceptions, which came on consecutive series in the third quarter and led directly to AHS touchdowns as the Eagles put the game away.

The Eagles scored on eight of their first 11 possessions, building up a 56-16 lead in the third quarter before emptying the bench.

"It was a lot of fun," said Proctor, who stepped into the lineup when Qua'Shawn Washington was moved to safety in place of injured McKendrie Morrison. "I had a lot of guys behind me. The safety behind me was telling to look out to (Cooper receiver Aaron Anderson) and I got two picks."

All four interceptions were made by linebackers. Terrell Franklin, who was just promoted to varsity this week, had the first at the end of the first half and Alex Bell had the last late in the third quarter.

Linebacker Hill Holloway also had an impact early, stopping Cooper running back Devin Johnson for a loss on fourth down from the AHS 37 to end the Cougars' second possession, then recovered a fumble off a bad snap that set AHS up for a 36-yard scoring drive.

"We were just doing what (AHS defensive coordinator Mike) Fullen and our coaches told us," Proctor said.

Cooper coach Todd Moebes said the Eagles took full advantage of the opportunities created by the defensive stops.

"They played well and we needed to play a lot better," Moebes said. "They got turnovers. My hat's off to them. They played a good game."

Moebes said the Eagles didn't do anything unexpected on defense.

"They just do what they do and they do it extremely well," he said. "It's pretty much plain and simple."

Abram Smith scored on runs of 1, 3, 5 and 3 yards, while Brown had TDs of 4 and 1 yards. Killam was 14 of 20 passing for 212 yards with an 11-yard TD to David Russell.

"It all starts with my O-line," Killam said. "I couldn't do it without those guys. They make holes for the running back, then when the defense starts keying on that, it opens up the passing game."

Nic Roy caught six passes for 82 yards as AHS gained 227 of its 576 total yards in the air.

"They were really ready for the run game and we tried to open up a little with the passing game," Roy said. "Luckily, I got the ball.

"(The strategy) worked pretty good. They thought that I'd get the ball and then we'd hand it to Abram and we'd score."

Cooper finished with 504 yards, most of it in the fourth quarter. Tyrees Whifield had 96 yards rushing, including a 77-yard TD in the final minute, while backup quarterback Stetson Hodges rushed for 66 yards with TDs of 3 and 7 yards.

The Cougar starters had a tougher time. Devin Johnson, who eclipsed the 200-yard mark in the first two games, was held to 39 yards on nine Carries. The Cougars had just 36 yards on the ground in the first half as AHS led 35-3 at the break.

"They were pretty big and they came out and punched us in the moutth," Johnson said. "I'm not going to lie about that. They earned my respect."

Cooper quarterback Austin Smith was 19 of 30 passing for 238 yards and two TDs, both to Caleb Freeman in the third quarter. Aaron Anderson caught seven passes for 79 yards and Myller Royals had five catches for 77 yards, Freeman's only catches went for TDs of 11 and 51 yards to get the Cougars within 49-16 midway through the third quarter.

NONDISTRICT
                                                  ABILENE HIGH 56, COOPER 37
                                                  Abilene High 14 21 21 0 — 56
                                                  Cooper 0 3 13 21 — 37

FIRST QUARTER
                                                  AHS — Abram Smith 1 run (Oscar Hernandez kick), 9:01
                                                  AHS — Ab.Smith 3 run (Hernandez kick), 5:07

SECOND QUARTER
                                                  AHS — Ab.Smith 5 run (Hernandez kick), 9:35
                                                  AHS — Immanuel Brown 4 run (Hernandez kick), 7:07
                                                  COO —Pedro Lira 27 FG, 4:11
                                                  AHS — David Russell 11 pass from Peyton Killam (Hernandez kick), 0:22

THIRD QUARTER
                                                  COO — Caleb Freeman 11 pass from Austin Smith (pass failed), 11:18
                                                  AHS — Ab.Smith 3 run (Hernandez kick), 8:40
                                                  AHS — Killam 5 run (Hernandez kick), 6:19
                                                  COO — Feeman 51 pass from Au.Smith (Lira kick), 5:51
                                                  AHS — Brown 1 run (Hernandez kick), 4:08

FOURTH QUARTER
                                                  COO — Stetson Hodges 3 run (Lira kick), 10:42
                                                  COO — Hodges 7 run (Lira kick), 6:26
                                                  COO — Tyrees Whitfield 77 run (Lira kick)

AHS Coo
                                                  First downs 35 17
                                                  Rushes-Yards 57-349 26-266
                                                  Passing 227 238
                                                  Comp-Att-Int 15-22-0 19-34-4
                                                  Punts 2-33.0 2-27.5
                                                  Fumbles-Lost 0-0 3-1
                                                  Penalties-Yards 10-71 12-111

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                                  RUSHING — Abilene High, Abram Smith 20-183, Immanuel Brown 13-59, R.J. Mirlez 13-58, Peyton Killam 7-54, Jakson Talley 2-5, Team 2-(-10). Cooper, Tyees Whitfield 4-96, Stetson Hodges 6-66, Devon Cunningham 2-48, Devin Johnson 9-39, Austin Smith 4-12, Jwan Hon 1-5.

PASSING — Abilene High, Peyton Killam 14-20-0—212, Jakson Talley 1-1-0—15, Abram Smith 0-1-0—0. Cooper , Austin Smith 19-30-4—238, Stetson Hodges 0-4-0—0.

RECEIVING — Abilene High, Nic Roy 6-82, Raekwon Millsap 3-75, Qua'Shawn Washington 3-42, Daniel Beal 1-15, David Russell 1-11, Bryce McGough 1-2. Cooper, Aaron Anderson 7-79, Myller Royals 5-77, Jwan Hong 3-17, Caleb Freeman 2-62, Devin Johnson 2-3.

RECORDS — Abilene High 3-0, Cooper 1-2.
                                                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n9684[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n9685[/ATTACH]

Comment

• mike03car
                                                    Special Teams
                                                    • Aug 2015

http://www.reporternews.com/sports/g...olumn_53373707

‪#‎AbileneEagles‬‪#‎BlackShirts‬ shuts down vaunted Cougar offense.

ABILENE, Texas - If Cooper was to defeat rival Abilene High in the 55th meeting between the two football teams, the Cougars had to get into an offensive shootout.
                                                    The Cougars were successful with that game plan in a 38-32 win at Wichita Falls Rider, and it almost worked in a 43-42 loss to Class 5A No. 4 Austin Vandegrift.
                                                    The offense did not commit a turnover in those two games.
                                                    With Abilene High scoring on 8 of its first 11 possessions — stopped only by a missed field goal, the end of the first half and its first punt of game of the game in the third quarter, the Coogs needed every possession to count. But when the Cougars began turning the ball over, the crosstown rivalry game quickly got out of hand.
                                                    Five turnovers — four interceptions and a fumble by quarterback Austin Smith — doomed the Coogs in a 56-37 loss. It was the third time in the past five AHS vs. Cooper games that the winner has scored at least 56 points. Cooper won 56-31 in 2013.
                                                    "They're all huge," AHS defensive backs coach Mario Estrada, who enjoyed watching linebackers come up big in the takeaway department. "Where we were on the field, they set up two scores. Sometimes it goes your way."
                                                    Blake Proctor had two interceptions early in the second half, both leading to touchdowns after Cooper used Darrien Campos' 66-yard kickoff return to score its first touchdown to open the third quarter.
                                                    A 35-9 deficit, though, suddenly was 49-9 and it was game over. AHS starters departed before the third quarter ended with AHS up 56-16.
                                                    "Every week, we talk about winning the turnover battle," Estrada said. "If you do, you have a chance to win the ballgame. It is a big deal."
                                                    Proctor also took down Cooper back Devin Johnson for a six-yard loss on fourth down to stop a promising Cooper drive late in the first quarter in Eagles territory.
                                                    Hill Holloway had a pick, as did Alex Bell, who came off the bench to get the Eagles' last interception. For each player, it was the first interception of the season.
                                                    Holloway before the game was honored for his team-leading 98 grade-point average. Thus, he's smart enough to know the importance of turnovers.
                                                    "Very important, yes sir," he said, smiling. "Coming into the game we heard all the hype and we knew Cooper would be electrifying. Our coaches coached us up good all week. We knew they were a good team but we were ready for them."
                                                    Bell was pleased his hard work in practice paid off.
                                                    "This means a lot. I have friends who play for Cooper," Bell said. "This feels good, it really does. It adds fuel to the fire."
                                                    With AHS effectively stopping Cooper's running back, the interceptions did in the Cougars.
                                                    Proctor's first pickoff came at the Cooper 10 after the Cougars had forced a punt on Abilene High's first possession of the third quarter.
                                                    His second came on the next series at the AHS 47, bringing the ball back to the Cooper 29.
                                                    Proctor said he never had back-to-back interceptions.
                                                    "Never," he said, laughing.
                                                    He credited defensive back Ramon Velasquez with moving him into position for the easy pick at the 10.
                                                    "He told me, ‘Watch your coverage'," Proctor said.
                                                    The second interception was followed by a 24-yard return.
                                                    "I never know I could run that fast," he joked.
                                                    "Turnovers can change the whole tone of the game," he said.
                                                    Proctor said his team's run defense — which surrendered just 36 yards in the first half — started the game rolling in Abilene High's direction.
                                                    "They came out running and we shut it down. Then they came out passing and we shut that down," he said. "I think we had a pretty good defensive game."
                                                    Estrada agreed.
                                                    "It was a good game by our defensive unit," he said. "We all did our job."

Comment

• mike03car
                                                      Special Teams
                                                      • Aug 2015

http://www.reporternews.com/sports/g...olumn_53373707

‪#‎AbileneEagles‬ Abram "M1 Tank" Smith knows who butters his bread

ABILENE, Texas - Abram Smith had a starring role in Abilene High’s 56-37 victory over Cooper in the annual Crosstown Showdown on Friday at Shotwell Stadium. Yet the junior running back gives all the credit to his offensive line.
                                                      Smith ran for 183 yards and four touchdowns, including the first three TDs of the night. Fellow AHS running Immanuel Brown also ran for two TDs, including a 4-yarder to give the Eagles a 28-0 lead 7:07 before halftime.
                                                      “It was all because them,” Smith said of his offensive line. “They gave me great holes, and I hit the holes. The wide receivers on the outside also did a great job, containing corners out there and giving me great holes. I took them, and I thanked them afterward.”
                                                      But much of the thanks went to the offensive line — Dawson Worgull, Jesus Verastegui, Oscar Garcia, Jayton Voss and Slayde Anderson. All are seniors, except Garcia and Voss, who are juniors.
                                                      “It’s a lot of good boys up front, and they do a good job of giving me the holes,” Smith said. “I can’t thank them enough.”
                                                      It was a quite an evening for the Eagles’ O-line, especially for the seniors, who were playing in their final Crosstown Showdown.
                                                      It wasn’t just the running game that thrived Friday, thanks to the Eagles’ O-line. AHS rolled up 576 total yards on offense, 227 passing.
                                                      Anderson said the linemen, usually the unsung heroes of a game, take pride in watching the offense thrive.
                                                      “We’re very experienced,” Anderson said. “One of our seniors got hurt tonight, but we got through adversity all the time. We go out there and demolish D-lines. We did the same thing tonight we do all the time.”
                                                      Getting it done in the Crosstown Showdown just makes it all that much sweeter.
                                                      “It was the icing on the cake,” Anderson said.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                                        Special Teams
                                                        • May 2015

I guess 2nd team D gave up all 3 4th quarter scores by Cooper..?? We left in early 4th Qtr when it was 56-16.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                                          Special Teams
                                                          • May 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                                                          Abilene High rolls 56-37
                                                          Starters pulled early in the third.
                                                          Cooper's stats will look decent against our 2nd and 3rd teamers in the 3rd and 4th.
                                                          Score is misleading since Cooper's coach didn't feel his 2nd and 3rd teamers should get playing time in a game in which they were absolutely blown away. and had no chance of winning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n9654[/ATTACH]
                                                          Probably trying to make the score look a little more respectable...still should have gotten 2nd teamers in there at some point

Comment

• mike03car
                                                            Special Teams
                                                            • Aug 2015

I thought at least their second string QB and RB played most the 4th quarter, yes/no?
                                                            Whereas I think our second team offense and defense were most if not all subs.

Comment

Working...