X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comanche
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
    Allen,1 school town, more money than Davy. Crockett, the largest, most expensive high school stadium in the country solely for 1 HS team and kids from multiple states within the U.S. On its roster. Yet here in Texas we want to stick our nose up at another program because they happen to be from another state who plays football every bit as good as we do in Texas. There isn't much of a difference between IMG and Allen or the south Dallas schools. The only difference is here and in this state we refuse to believe that our programs are as corrupt as the ones in different states that we love to tear down
    Are you serious?? Isn't much difference?? How much does it cost to go to a Public school?? of course you see transfers showing up probably now more than ever but you say Allen has kids from Multiple states what's the numbers?

Comment

• Farmer
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Comanche

Are you serious?? Isn't much difference?? How much does it cost to go to a Public school?? of course you see transfers showing up probably now more than ever but you say Allen has kids from Multiple states what's the numbers?
      What does cost have to do with it?

So you're saying there is a number that makes it okay to do what Texas does but not other states? That's laughable. What IMG is doing isn't anything different than what Trinity dis or what you're seeing at Allen and in south Dallas area now

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

First of all I haven't really seen any overly negative comments about IMG. Just sharing facts. Ironically the closest to negative came from 1AllenFan. That was more a concern for where we are heading. Simply stating facts is no indication of our opinion.

Allen is much different than IMG. The size of Allen is a separate issue.

Also I am pretty sure everyone here knows how corrupt the UIL is. We have been talking about this for years.
        Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2015

What does cost have to do with it?

So you're saying there is a number that makes it okay to do what Texas does but not other states? That's laughable. What IMG is doing isn't anything different than what Trinity dis or what you're seeing at Allen and in south Dallas area now

There is a difference Farmer. One school actively recruits and the other/other's recruit by being a destination for transfers by winning. I don't believe(not 100% for sure) that Texas public schools recruit. The actual recruit/transfer may have motives to move to said winning school, but I don't believe our public schools search for them out. The other difference is transfers to various schools may make up 2 to 3% of a given roster, but IMG roster is not home grown talent.

I know there are some fishy things/transfers going on, but I don't believe the playing field with IMG is level with Texas public schools in that regard. By and large they play with mostly their own talent.

And NO I don't believe anyone thinks it's ok, but the UIL needs to do something about it. Coaches/schools are going to play what they have, home grown or transfers if approved by the UIL/DEC.

Comment

• Eagle2
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Everyone with a clear and open mind, go back to #25 and read slow and carefully. It will state its purpose and how IMG is so different than all other schools. The referred ongoing issues that some have previously mentioned are of a different nature.

Comment

• Farmer
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
              First of all I haven't really seen any overly negative comments about IMG. Just sharing facts. Ironically the closest to negative came from 1AllenFan. That was more a concern for where we are heading. Simply stating facts is no indication of our opinion.

Allen is much different than IMG. The size of Allen is a separate issue.

Also I am pretty sure everyone here knows how corrupt the UIL is. We have been talking about this for years.
              Allen isn't different. Allen has hidden behind a public school image but built a world class facility in its stadium and other facilities IMG would be jealous of to draw in talent. Allen HS aligned itself with private coaches who may or may not actively pursue kids to attend it's campus rather that be for one semester or 3 to help better themselves in their football careers. Just because IMG is a private school who happens to draw kids in from across the country doesn't make them any different than an Allen or even a DeSoto who has also benefitted from the same type of kids that IMG had. The fact that one isn't in Texas seems to draw the ire of folks in this state who refuse to see that what we have here isn't any different than IMG

Comment

• Farmer
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

There is a difference Farmer. One school actively recruits and the other/other's recruit by being a destination for transfers by winning. I don't believe(not 100% for sure) that Texas public schools recruit. The actual recruit/transfer may have motives to move to said winning school, but I don't believe our public schools search for them out. The other difference is transfers to various schools may make up 2 to 3% of a given roster, but IMG roster is not home grown talent.

I know there are some fishy things/transfers going on, but I don't believe the playing field with IMG is level with Texas public schools in that regard. By and large they play with mostly their own talent.

And NO I don't believe anyone thinks it's ok, but the UIL needs to do something about it. Coaches/schools are going to play what they have, home grown or transfers if approved by the UIL/DEC.

You refuse to believe it because you don't want it happen in Texas. IMG is what Texas schools or fans of schools have loathed for so long but yet they turn a blind eye to the shenanigans that go on in their own backyard. If you don't believe coaches or programs in Texas are doing what is going on at IMG then I have a mountain side snow ski resort in Miami to sell you

Comment

• Farmer
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle2
                  Everyone with a clear and open mind, go back to #25 and read slow and carefully. It will state its purpose and how IMG is so different than all other schools. The referred ongoing issues that some have previously mentioned are of a different nature.
                  Eagle, with all do respect how are the different? We have schools with open enrollment and kids being kicked off of teams and enrolling in other programs to play football or we have kids at one school playing for a team who misses the playoffs so they move to a school across the interstate to play for another program making the playoffs. Our public schools are all about the promotion of their football programs as much as IMG is and they will do so at any cost. There really isn't much difference between the two

Comment

• Farmer
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

Last year allens 2 leading rushers, leading passer and 2 leading receiver all started HS at another school. I remember years when Trinity won state with their leading rushers starting HS at Arl Bowie... You make it seem like it's okay though because they were passed by a governing body who has proven to want to profit off of kids by commercializing a game and that its ok to play those kids because they passed some sort of committee but you have an issue with the IMGs... People in Texas are not allowed to be overly critical of schools in other states before they first openly criticize the problem we have here which is the exact same as what IMG is. B

Comment

• mojotrain
                      2nd Team
                      • Jun 2015

The idea of open enrollment and the application in the practice of open enrollment IS a recruiting tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

• svhorns
                        All State
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
                        The idea of open enrollment and the application in the practice of open enrollment IS a recruiting tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wait, so open enrollment is a recruiting tool? I thought open enrollment was specifically geared towards academics and if you "happen" to be a good football player then that's a plus.
                        Last edited by svhorns; 06-26-2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Eagle2
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mojotrain
                          Wow!!! Way off base if I must say. Fact is open enrollment is for academic purposes allowing parents to choose their school of choice without regard to local residency. For some this could help improve a students success in education. Most schools with an open enrollment specialize with academies that help prepares today's students for the 21st century global society. If a student chooses to participant in an extra-curricular activity whether it be band, cheer, debate, fencing, are any of the sports and are exceptionally good then so be it. Parents have always had this choice it has just become more prevalent and out in the forefront recently. So to say that it is used as a recruiting tool is not its intent. Although in some views it may appear that way.

Comment

• svhorns
                            All State
                            • Apr 2015

Wow!!! Way off base if I must say. Fact is open enrollment is for academic purposes allowing parents to choose their school of choice without regard to local residency. For some this could help improve a students success in education. Most schools with an open enrollment specialize with academies that help prepares today's students for the 21st century global society. If a student chooses to participant in an extra-curricular activity whether it be band, cheer, debate, fencing, are any of the sports and are exceptionally good then so be it. Parents have always had this choice it has just become more prevalent and out in the forefront recently. So to say that it is used as a recruiting tool is not its intent. Although in some views it may appear that way.

Is open enrollment an option that all schools can provide or are there certain requirements a school must have to offer the open enrollment option?

Comment

• svhorns
                              All State
                              • Apr 2015

Also do you know of any list that provides which high schools in Texas provide the open enrollment option?

Comment

• Eagle2
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

Is open enrollment an option that all schools can provide or are there certain requirements a school must have to offer the open enrollment option?
                                Yes there are certain requirements a school must have/provide. Yes it is an option that schools can provide if voted and approved by the school/isd board of trustees. Once these two are met then each school has their own application/enrollment criteria or process of accepting potential students.

Comment

• sTp
                                  1st Team
                                  • Apr 2015

The way it worked here in RRISD for years was that, yes, there is open enrollment, but if a transfer were going to take place that student would also have to enroll in the Academy that was assigned to each campus. So Stony Point was a Health Science Academy, Cedar Ridge and Westwood were the Fine Arts Academies, and for the life of me I can't remember what Academies were assigned to Round Rock and McNeil.

So kids would transfer back and forth, some for no doubt academic/athletic purposes, but I would think most of the moves were legitimate.

This went on for years until recently when the ISD decided to even things out and offer the same opportunities at each high school. Hopefully this will shut down the majority of transfers around the district.

Sorry to stray off the original intent of the thread, but there ya go..

Comment

• svhorns
                                    All State
                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                                    The way it worked here in RRISD for years was that, yes, there is open enrollment, but if a transfer were going to take place that student would also have to enroll in the Academy that was assigned to each campus. So Stony Point was a Health Science Academy, Cedar Ridge and Westwood were the Fine Arts Academies, and for the life of me I can't remember what Academies were assigned to Round Rock and McNeil.

So kids would transfer back and forth, some for no doubt academic/athletic purposes, but I would think most of the moves were legitimate.

This went on for years until recently when the ISD decided to even things out and offer the same opportunities at each high school. Hopefully this will shut down the majority of transfers around the district.

Sorry to stray off the original intent of the thread, but there ya go..
                                    If logic plays a part on what schools are assigned certain academies, I would guess McNeil and Round Rock were assigned Performing arts considering the PAC is literally right next to McNeil. I have no idea though just a guess.
                                    Last edited by svhorns; 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• svhorns
                                      All State
                                      • Apr 2015

Yes there are certain requirements a school must have/provide. Yes it is an option that schools can provide if voted and approved by the school/isd board of trustees. Once these two are met then each school has their own application/enrollment criteria or process of accepting potential students.
                                      You probably knew this question was coming but what are the requirements a school must meet before any voting by school officials is done?

Comment

• Eagle2
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Provide and show an enhanced education(curricullum) that is normally not available, open to all students regardless of race, creed, religious affiliation, no tuition charge. Most important the school still must abide by all state, federal, testing and funding regulations.

Comment

• sTp
                                          1st Team
                                          • Apr 2015

So I dug a bit and found that 4 of the 5 high schools (one website is under construction) here in RRISD have this "banner" under students/academies:
                                          Website%20Logo%20bottom%20updated.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqgxHQhtg7HruuTgfJbtMPVq5x9MTo8TzDa8y7adlNMpU1T-sSO1oH6ExOgxFpIev-HUcWtqPSO_UeZRVDQTlOeMX2Zc_HdwQg2yVZfdauKr8leojtaJ-XAszXT2wAnXhAfnWAHo2I8_I9EUmdTmb-S2FYLbA20xSqnB1jSIUMqOlVJvvSnjwwP6A18LN02i-a24vL8zl

I have no doubt that some moves will still occur, but I gotta say I'm happy that the ISD is trying to offer the same opportunities at each HS.

Ok, carry on with the thread.. I hope DeSoto kick's IMG booty..

Comment

• Eagle2
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                                            So I dug a bit and found that 4 of the 5 high schools (one website is under construction) here in RRISD have this "banner" under students/academies:
                                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n4283[/ATTACH]

I have no doubt that some moves will still occur, but I gotta say I'm happy that the ISD is trying to offer the same opportunities at each HS.

Ok, carry on with the thread.. I hope DeSoto kick's IMG booty..
                                            Yes this is the common model/trend and the future of education along with collaboration of local colleges and universities offering courses and degrees to high school students as well.

Comment

• Farmer
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

If this question had already been asked then I apologize but what are the academic programs offered on the I-20/U.S. 67 corridor that allow for open enrollment?
                                              With these "academic" offerings what are the rules pertaining to "students" transferring in the middle of a school year?

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

Cedar Hill programs of choice: Collegiate Prep, Collegiate Academy, Collegiate High School or the Dual Language Program.
                                                DeSoto: High School
                                                Students transfer and withdraw from schools throughout the school year for various reasons. Students still must adhere to local and state education guidelines.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Cedar Hill programs of choice: Collegiate Prep, Collegiate Academy, Collegiate High School or the Dual Language Program.
                                                  DeSoto: High School
                                                  Students transfer and withdraw from schools throughout the school year for various reasons. Students still must adhere to local and state education guidelines.
                                                  Eagle2, I have always liked you! Thank you so much for posting this. The one area of concern I have is transfers and with this set up we have a situation where we have a fee for all

Comment

• TrojanHorse03
                                                    Special Teams
                                                    • Apr 2015

Eagle2, I have always liked you! Thank you so much for posting this. The one area of concern I have is transfers and with this set up we have a situation where we have a fee for all
                                                    Transfer rulings are inconsistent but not a free-for-all. Certainly some transfers have been made to sit out of varsity while others seem to be rubber stamped.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                      All District
                                                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by TrojanHorse03

Transfer rulings are inconsistent but not a free-for-all. Certainly some transfers have been made to sit out of varsity while others seem to be rubber stamped.
                                                      I'm pretty sure the transfer laws are the same! This is an example of what Open enrollment hasn become.' You can shae the appointment

Comment

• Farmer
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

2-47568157

Comment

• Farmer
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

Scale me

Comment

• Eagle2
                                                            All District
                                                            • Apr 2015

I'm pretty sure the transfer laws are the same! This is an example of what Open enrollment hasn become.' You can shae the appointment
                                                            Yes transfer rules pretty much are consistent and the same. But what is not consistent is the interpretation of the transfer for athletic reasons. There could be instances to where parents transfer their outstanding starter athlete to better further their education and get denied by the DEC.The outgoing coach has to sign yea or nay, and he does not want to lose this good player. The trend is that the UIL is pretty much going to go with and support and findings of the DEC. Regardless of how much legitimate evidence and justification a parent may have. Very few transfers are overturned. It is called due diligence.

Comment

• svhorns
                                                              All State
                                                              • Apr 2015

Bump for discussion

Comment

Working...