X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLC13
    '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
    • Apr 2015

Week 2: SLC vs. Tulsa Union

SLC (0-1) travels to Tulsa for a rematch with Union (0-0) at their home (Tuttle Stadium). Carroll’s was the winner of last season's game 42-41 in OT at AT&T Stadium.

Records: Carroll lost its opener, 20-14, to Austin Westlake while Union rallied to win its final preseason scrimmage, 29-22, over Springdale (Arkansas) Har-Ber.
    Key matchup: Running backs Tyler Adkins of Union and Lil’Jordan Humphrey of Southlake Carroll. Adkins rushed for 189 yards and four TDs against Carroll last year while Humphrey rushed for 162 yards and four TDs. Last week, Humphrey had 170 total yards and two TDs against Westlake.

Who do you like in this one??
    Carroll wins
    50.00%
    Union wins
    50.00%
  • DPaul
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

C'mon Carroll.....

Comment

• svhorns
      All State
      • Apr 2015

Interesting game. Not sure if Tulsa can sling the ball or not but with Barnes and Eboh in the secondary for SLC I wonder if SLC can leave these those guys on an island so to speak and stack the box to help stop the run. Last week against Westlake there was no way for that to be possible with Ehlinger calling the plays but with a weaker QB it might be possible.

Comment

• Farmer
        All District
        • Apr 2015

I like Union by about 35-21 type of score. I'm not sold that Westlake is all that great and I think playing on the road at a program like Union is going to prove to be more than Carroll can handle.

Comment

• svhorns
          All State
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer
          I like Union by about 35-21 type of score. I'm not sold that Westlake is all that great and I think playing on the road at a program like Union is going to prove to be more than Carroll can handle.

I dont know anything about The U. Do you know what they run offensively or what they have returning in terms of senior players and stats?

Comment

• Farmer
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

I dont know anything about The U. Do you know what they run offensively or what they have returning in terms of senior players and stats?
            other than clips from YouTube and other sites not much other than they seem to usually be a solid team with good speed and will be playing in front of a very rabid crowd up there. In the HS game I out home field at a far larger value than the pro or even college gsme. I truly believe in a game like this that home field is going to be worth about 10-14 pts.
            Mom sure they base out of a 3-4 and will walk some backers up to give a 5 man look at times. It seems they will try to go 4 wide with 1 back a conventional spread look with some power formations in short yardage and goal line situations. If SLC sells out on the run too much I'm sure UNIon will hit them with some quick 5-7 yard routes like stops and outs or even crossing routes to try and loosen up the defense. I wouldn't mind attending this game. Between the football stadium and basketball arena at UNion they have as nice of facilities as you will find down here exuding Allen

Comment

• SLC13
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

OK 6A-1 Preview

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...3f692b600.html

3. Tulsa Union
              The Redskins won four consecutive state titles from 2008-11 and have been the runner-up the past two years. Although they graduated 18 senior starters, they do return one of the area's top running backs, Tyler Adkins, while Ayo Ologolo and Tre Brown are big playmakers in the secondary. Look for Union to start slowly, but emerge in November as a title threat again.

Comment

• SLC13
                • Apr 2015

other than clips from YouTube and other sites not much other than they seem to usually be a solid team with good speed and will be playing in front of a very rabid crowd up there. In the HS game I out home field at a far larger value than the pro or even college gsme. I truly believe in a game like this that home field is going to be worth about 10-14 pts.
                Mom sure they base out of a 3-4 and will walk some backers up to give a 5 man look at times. It seems they will try to go 4 wide with 1 back a conventional spread look with some power formations in short yardage and goal line situations. If SLC sells out on the run too much I'm sure UNIon will hit them with some quick 5-7 yard routes like stops and outs or even crossing routes to try and loosen up the defense. I wouldn't mind attending this game. Between the football stadium and basketball arena at UNion they have as nice of facilities as you will find down here exuding Allen
                Agree with your points about home field and fans, there's no doubt that the home field and revenge factor are big items in Union's favor. The Dragons certainly have their work cut out for them walking into a hostile environment. I also have no doubt that despite only 3 returning starters, Union will reload.

That said, don't discount the Dragon's advantage of having already played a game. In last year's matchup, an experienced Union team still made many 1st game mistakes. Adkins is a great RB, but he still needs help. Last year he got it from a 3 year starter at QB who threw for about 250 yds. Will he qet the same this year from a QB starting his 1st game??

Who knows, but I do like the Dragon's chances if Union's offense turns out to be a one man show.

Comment

• CHill
                  1st Team
                  • Apr 2015

When was the last time SLC lost two games in a row and it won't happen this week. There will be no OT this year, SLC by 10 plus!

Comment

• SLC13
                    • Apr 2015

One more perspective on the game from Tulsa World writer, Barry Lewis ……

Southlake (Texas) Carroll (0-1) at 6AI No. 3 Union

The outlook: A rematch of perennial Texas powerhouse Southlake Carroll’s 42-41 overtime win last year at AT&T Stadium, the home of the Dallas Cowboys. Carroll lost its opener, 20-14, to Austin Westlake while Union rallied to win its final preseason tuneup, 29-22, over Springdale (Arkansas) Har-Ber.

Key matchup: Running backs Tyler Adkins of Union and Lil’Jordan Humphrey of Southlake Carroll. Adkins rushed for 189 yards and four TDs against Carroll last year while Humphrey rushed for 162 yards and four TDs. Last week, Humphrey had 170 total yards and two TDs against Westlake.

Notable: Union has lost to Texas teams each of the past three years, falling 44-20 against DeSoto in 2013 and 21-18 to Euless Trinity in 2012.

Who wins: Carroll, 40-33.

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLC13

Agree with your points about home field and fans, there's no doubt that the home field and revenge factor are big items in Union's favor. The Dragons certainly have their work cut out for them walking into a hostile environment. I also have no doubt that despite only 3 returning starters, Union will reload.

That said, don't discount the Dragon's advantage of having already played a game. In last year's matchup, an experienced Union team still made many 1st game mistakes. Adkins is a great RB, but he still needs help. Last year he got it from a 3 year starter at QB who threw for about 250 yds. Will he qet the same this year from a QB starting his 1st game??

Who knows, but I do like the Dragon's chances if Union's offense turns out to be a one man show.
                      not knowing much about the insides of the Union program I would think they've been preparing for this season, replacing starters and key positions for a while now and will be prepared for that. Breaking in a new QB at the HS level isn't as difficult as some may think especially for those who have been in a system and getting the reps at practice and through the spring and summer seasons. It's not like Union doesn't have a lot to pull from either. I think the last thing the Union coaches are going to want to do is put a game this early solely on the hands of their top RB and allow defenses to solely key in on him. There isn't a better time to break in a new QB than at home in front of a partisan crowd with a lot of pride on the line. Not that my opinion means this is how it will play out just how I think it will. Could be completely wrong on this though.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                        Special Teams
                        • Apr 2015

I'm encouraged to read that Union had to rally to beat Springdale Har-Ber. SLC should be significantly better than Har-Ber is even as poorly as they played last week.

Comment

• Farmer
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up
                          I'm encouraged to read that Union had to rally to beat Springdale Har-Ber. SLC should be significantly better than Har-Ber is even as poorly as they played last week.
                          not sure what to take out of a scrimmage. Not exactly going to show a lot of things in those cases and starters not really playing the reps they would in a normal game.

Comment

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
                            Special Teams
                            • Apr 2015

not sure what to take out of a scrimmage. Not exactly going to show a lot of things in those cases and starters not really playing the reps they would in a normal game.
                            Fair point... you'll note I took Union in the poll.

Comment

• Super B
                              All District
                              • Apr 2015

Union runs a very similar offense as Carroll. A balanced spread.
                              Super B

Comment

• Farmer
                                All District
                                • Apr 2015

It looks like the Carroll coaching staff did a remarkable job of making second half adjustments to come away with a nice victory. I doubt this will get the Hal haters off of his back and they will give him any kind of credit but it shows that those guys over there wearing the headsets might know a lot more than those who sit in the stands every Friday night. Good win for the Dragons

Comment

• Super B
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

Good win.
                                  Super B

Comment

• SLC13
                                    • Apr 2015

It looks like the Carroll coaching staff did a remarkable job of making second half adjustments to come away with a nice victory. I doubt this will get the Hal haters off of his back and they will give him any kind of credit but it shows that those guys over there wearing the headsets might know a lot more than those who sit in the stands every Friday night. Good win for the Dragons
                                    A very good win for the kids and the coaches especially after last week. It would have been very easy for the Dragons to fold up their tent at halftime, but to their credit they didn't!! Hope they now can get adjustments into the 1st half game plan so that we aren't playing from behind every game.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you are right about the Hal haters.

Comment

• BevoBo
                                      Special Teams
                                      • Apr 2015

Great Win! This is one pick I'm glad I missed on. After hearing the early score, didn't think a win was possible. Makes last week loss a head scratcher. Congrats to SLC!

Comment

• SLC13
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                                        Great Win! This is one pick I'm glad I missed on. After hearing the early score, didn't think a win was possible. Makes last week loss a head scratcher. Congrats to SLC!
                                        One reason was a different starting QB this week. Mason Holmes played the whole game and threw for 300+yds against Union.

Hal had said before the season that he planned to rotate the QB's during pre-district games. MH may have won the starters job with his performance tonight.

Comment

• Farmer
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

One reason was a different starting QB this week. Mason Holmes played the whole game and threw for 300+yds against Union.

Hal had said before the season that he planned to rotate the QB's during pre-district games. MH may have won the starters job with his performance tonight.
                                          I think you're right on Mason winning the starters job. For a junior to go up to Tulsa and win that game facing a pretty big deficit In the second half, it would be hard not to go with him. He was on fire in the second half it seemed and it sounds like he showed a lot of maturity in that win. That will probably be the toughest environment he will play in when you consider the travel and quality of team involved. How many Dragon fans made the trip up to Oklahoma?
                                          I have to admit I am very happy for your kids and coaches for pulling this one out. Job well done

Comment

• SLC13
                                            • Apr 2015

I think you're right on Mason winning the starters job. For a junior to go up to Tulsa and win that game facing a pretty big deficit In the second half, it would be hard not to go with him. He was on fire in the second half it seemed and it sounds like he showed a lot of maturity in that win. That will probably be the toughest environment he will play in when you consider the travel and quality of team involved. How many Dragon fans made the trip up to Oklahoma?
                                            I have to admit I am very happy for your kids and coaches for pulling this one out. Job well done
                                            Yep, It was a pretty nice win for everyone involved in the Dragon program. We don't want those Okie's thinking they can beat teams from TX.

I suspect that it was a pretty sparse Dragon crowd up in Tulsa. Probably just the Band, Belle's etc. some player parents and a few diehards. Probably would have been a better crowd if our pre-district wasn't loaded with 3 fairly long road trips.

Comment

• Farmer
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Yep, It was a pretty nice win for everyone involved in the Dragon program. We don't want those Okie's thinking they can beat teams from TX.

I suspect that it was a pretty sparse Dragon crowd up in Tulsa. Probably just the Band, Belle's etc. some player parents and a few diehards. Probably would have been a better crowd if our pre-district wasn't loaded with 3 fairly long road trips.
                                              did the band go? I listened on the radio for a bit last night and don't remember hearing the dragon band playing. If they were able to make the trip then BIG KuDOS to your administration for letting them go.
                                              I will admit I don't get involved with the Texas cs others stuff but considering what I've read on other message boards concerning Hal and his staff, I'm so happy for your entire program.

Comment

• SLC13
                                                • Apr 2015

did the band go? I listened on the radio for a bit last night and don't remember hearing the dragon band playing. If they were able to make the trip then BIG KuDOS to your administration for letting them go.
                                                I will admit I don't get involved with the Texas cs others stuff but considering what I've read on other message boards concerning Hal and his staff, I'm so happy for your entire program.
                                                Yes the band did go........Frames 41 & 48

Our crowd might have been a little better than I thought.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/photovideo...1b3f8772b.html

Frames 4, 28 & 48 give a pretty good idea of the size of our crowd.
                                                Last edited by SLC13; 09-05-2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Farmer
                                                  All District
                                                  • Apr 2015

Yes the band did go........Frames 41 & 48

Our crowd might have been a little better than I thought.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/photovideo...1b3f8772b.html

Frames 4, 28 & 48 give a pretty good idea of the size of our crowd.
                                                  kudos to your admin for letting them go. I know the boys had to feel that being there. That had to have been a long ride home but so much fun at the same time. You guys represented so well!

Comment

• SLC13
                                                    • Apr 2015

kudos to your admin for letting them go. I know the boys had to feel that being there. That had to have been a long ride home but so much fun at the same time. You guys represented so well!
                                                    I agree!! The kids really must have felt good to know they weren't alone against all of Oklahoma. That said kudo's should also be given to the Union folks. Everyone that I've talked to today that went had nothing but nice things to say about the hospitality they were shown in Tulsa. Union is truly class program and deserves the national recognition that they have earned over the years.

Super B tells me that there are games in the works for Trinity and Carroll to do a home and home series with flip flop games against Union and Broken Arrow in 2016 & 17. I hope those happen and that this time I will be able to attend.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                      All District
                                                      • Apr 2015

"Obviously we're a little frustrated," Union coach Kirk Fridrich said. "We had them down by 10 last year and couldn't seal the deal and the same thing happened to night. I think we got a little wore down. We didn't have enough left in our tank. That's a good football team and our kids were exhausted."

That coming from a head coach should be embarrassing. I guess Texas style conditioning isn't a part of his program. Good job SLC in showing OK once again who reigns!

btw... what's the status on M. Murphy?

Comment

• SLC13
                                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
                                                        http://beta.sportsdaydfw.com/high-sc...ame/2015/21852

"Obviously we're a little frustrated," Union coach Kirk Fridrich said. "We had them down by 10 last year and couldn't seal the deal and the same thing happened to night. I think we got a little wore down. We didn't have enough left in our tank. That's a good football team and our kids were exhausted."

That coming from a head coach should be embarrassing. I guess Texas style conditioning isn't a part of his program. Good job SLC in showing OK once again who reigns!

btw... what's the status on M. Murphy?
                                                        I found that remark strange as well. It's almost an admission that their offseason conditioning program is a failure, 2 years in a row is pretty much proof. Considering that their schedule starts with SLC, Jenks and Broken Arrow makes it even more of a head scratcher that Union was not conditioned enough to play 48 minutes..

Murphy is just fine, it was his week to sit. Hal was not able to choose a QB during the lead up to the season, so he said he was going to alternate them during pre-district. That all sounds good in theory, but I think it will difficult to sit Mason Holmes now after that performance. Bottom line, MH made the plays against Union and MM did not against Westlake.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                          All District
                                                          • Apr 2015

I found that remark strange as well. It's almost an admission that their offseason conditioning program is a failure, 2 years in a row is pretty much proof. Considering that their schedule starts with SLC, Jenks and Broken Arrow makes it even more of a head scratcher that Union was not conditioned enough to play 48 minutes..

Murphy is just fine, it was his week to sit. Hal was not able to choose a QB during the lead up to the season, so he said he was going to alternate them during pre-district. That all sounds good in theory, but I think it will difficult to sit Mason Holmes now after that performance. Bottom line, MH made the plays against Union and MM did not against Westlake.
                                                          Thanks for the 411. Didn't know if he was still having lingering issues.

Comment

• Tom S
                                                            Practice Squad
                                                            • Jul 2015

Your wrong. Not sure where your getting your info but there is definitely an injury issue with MM.

Comment

Working...