X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Week 1 - Abilene High vs. Colleyville Heritage

New head coaches on both sides of the ball.

Who wins?

This homer goes with Abilene, 21-14
    Abilene Wins
    73.33%
    Colleyville H Wins
    26.67%

The poll is expired.

• Shady12
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

Abilene 35-16

Comment

• chhspantherfan
      Special Teams
      • Apr 2015

Booster Club has tailgate before the game, stop by and ask for Dean. He is the Booster Club President. He knows of the board and the chhspantherfan

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Go Panthers!
        Super B

Comment

• chhspantherfan
          Special Teams
          • Apr 2015

Abilene is going to be very good, we are very young. I like our chances.

Comment

• CHill
            1st Team
            • Apr 2015

Good opening game between two good schools. Both have new coaches, but Abilene's staff stay intact and that's why I will go with Abilene in week one.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
              Special Teams
              • May 2015

Should be good 1st game for both coaches. Abilene has some question marks at D line but hopefully can plug some kids in. Also, talented Jr. QB but unproven at varsity level other than Cove scrimmage. Should be very good at RB and offensive line is biggest we've had in several years....we'll see how well they can move and block.

Comment

• Eagledad
                Special Teams
                • Aug 2015

I think we will be just fine..............I see a slow start with the game close at half but Abilene pulls away in the 4th.................38-10 Abilene

Comment

• tinman
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jul 2015

The great thing about this game is the unknowns as mention above. Should be a great atmosphere, should give the fans their moneys worth. CHS has home advantage, AHS has a coaching staff that
                  has worked together for many years that their advantage. First game of the season, a lot of unknowns for both teams. My opinion which team can stay composed the best wins, so my nod is to AHS

Comment

• Eagledad
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tinman
                    The great thing about this game is the unknowns as mention above. Should be a great atmosphere, should give the fans their moneys worth. CHS has home advantage, AHS has a coaching staff that
                    has worked together for many years that their advantage. First game of the season, a lot of unknowns for both teams. My opinion which team can stay composed the best wins, so my nod is to AHS

Well said.............composer will be a factor when the lights come on! I fully expect our QB to freak out a little in the 1st quarter then settle down. By freak out I mean he will tuck and run quickly which is not a terrible thing. But I think he will get better and more comfortable as the game progresses. He grew alot against a fast Cove defense. Surprisingly and quietly it was mentioned at booster club that he was like 5 of 6 passes for 65yards. He did protect the ball all day which is important!

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                      Special Teams
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad

Well said.............composer will be a factor when the lights come on! I fully expect our QB to freak out a little in the 1st quarter then settle down. By freak out I mean he will tuck and run quickly which is not a terrible thing. But I think he will get better and more comfortable as the game progresses. He grew alot against a fast Cove defense. Surprisingly and quietly it was mentioned at booster club that he was like 5 of 6 passes for 65yards. He did protect the ball all day which is important!

sounds like he is a cool customer. looking forward to seeing him play. 70 hours away

Comment

• mike03car
                        Special Teams
                        • Aug 2015

I think we will be just fine..............I see a slow start with the game close at half but Abilene pulls away in the 4th.................38-10 Abilene
                        Eagledad that sounds familiar....like....last year's game...yes? hehe

Comment

• mike03car
                          Special Teams
                          • Aug 2015

I missed that stat but noted Coach Cox saying we anticipate heavily relying on the two great RB's we have and our BIG (for our area) offensive line. Now seeing that stat as you mentioned, sounds like to me the running game really opens up the passing, which we all know is common.

Comment

• mike03car
                            Special Teams
                            • Aug 2015

Shameless copy paste
                            Originally posted by mike03car
                            I just saw the 2d half of the JV B teams game of AHS (gold) vs CHHS B. It was 8-7 Panthers at half due to 2pt conv. Panthers scored near end of 3rd qtr but failed 2pt conv to lead 14-7. Eagles scored TD on 4th and goal at 2yd line with 35 seconds left in game, then converted 2pt attempt and held on to win 15-14. Eagle offense shot themselves with penalties but the defense made up for it with turnovers. #11 reminds me of Abram "Tank" Smith, is the feature RB, and our two starting guards are BIG boys.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

GAMEDAY !!!

GATA Panthers !!

#PantherOn

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                Special Teams
                                • May 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                                Shameless copy paste
                                I know the Freshman team won 24-22 and that at least one of JV won (must be Gold) but don't know about JV Black.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                  Special Teams
                                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

I know the Freshman team won 24-22 and that at least one of JV won (must be Gold) but don't know about JV Black.
                                  Just found it...44-9 Abilene

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Apr 2015

Just found it...44-9 Abilene

From what I've heard it was a great Abilene group against a green Heritage group. That gives me optimism as we can fix green, we can't fix outmanned.

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                      Special Teams
                                      • May 2015

Originally posted by chhspantherfan

From what I've heard it was a great Abilene group against a green Heritage group. That gives me optimism as we can fix green, we can't fix outmanned.
                                      I know a bunch of kids on the Freshman team....sounds like that was a great game.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Congrats to the Abilene Eagles for a well deserved victory. You were too much for our young pups. We will be much better next week and although it hurts, you can look at three big events in the game that made the difference. One, the incredible gaffe in not getting points at the end of the half. Strategically use our timeouts on defense, get the ball back with a minute+ and get it first and goal with a minute to go. Run the ball 4 times and get nothing. I'm so stunned that I don't even know how I feel about it. On second down, we have the matchup, on the topside for the QB, and don't take it??? Why do they have headsets? Rhetorical of course. Several illegal formation penalties caused severe consternation. But not getting points there was critical. We have one of the best kickers in the state and don't take the 3? Don't understand. However, Willis had several great halftime adjustments and we tied it up 21-21. Should have been 24-21, but I won't mention it again. The Panther defense, undermanned against the mammoth Abilene line finally got it going in the second half. Stopped Abrams (btw, he is awesome) and got the ball to midfield tied 21-21 with the momentum. Ran the bubble screen and QB wiffed the pass, resulting in a fumble and Abilene recovery. Downhill for our Panthers from there. Great job Abilene. Y'all are formidable. More thoughts later.

Comment

• mike03car
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Aug 2015

I wrote the following on the original forum while waiting my mother's recovery in post - op from her surgery. Please remember that no human being is omnipresent

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]08-27-2015, 11:22 PM

[/COLOR]
                                          AHS JV Black 44. CHHS JV A 9

Our JV Black team OL, QB, and pair of receivers looked very good. Special teams ran back 2d half kick for TD. Defense was good and typical swarming, turnover causing, hard nose ballers. But it also looked like to me that CHHS JV A missed quite a few blocks, dropped several passes, and qb not real accurate. In other words, looked like me

Comment

• mike03car
                                            Special Teams
                                            • Aug 2015

I do not know good source(s) for Freshman game updates and results.

Comment

• Abilenefan
                                              Special Teams
                                              • Apr 2015

Good game to Heritage. Good luck the rest of the season. Opponents better be ready. I see them being pretty good in district play.

Comment

• mike03car
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Aug 2015

Cox, AHS Eagles pass first test against Heritage

Sam Waller 12:14 AM, Aug 29, 2015
                                                local high school football | abilene high | sports | gofridaynight

http://www.reporternews.com/sports/gofridaynight/cox-ahs-eagles-pass-first-test-against-heritage_60731981

GRAPEVINE — All in all, things went about as well as the Abilene High Eagles could have hoped Friday in their season opener against Colleyville Heritage.

With a new head coach, a new quarterback, an almost entirely new cast of receivers and a running back with a surgically repaired knee, the Eagles had plenty of questions to answer.
                                                Among the answers from the Eagles' 35-25 victory at Mustang-Panther Stadium:
                                                n Coach Del Van Cox and staff came up with a game plan that helped AHS jump out to a big early lead, then provided the motivation to regain control after Heritage rallied to tie;
                                                n Quarterback Peyton Killam completed 77.8 percent of his passes (14 of 18) for 142 yards and a touchdown;
                                                n Wide receivers Qua'Shawn Washington (7-82, 1 TD) and Raekwon Millsap (4-30) gave Killam reliable targets, and;
                                                n Running back Abram Smith, rebuilt knee and all, picked up pretty much where he left off with 177 yards and three touchdowns.
                                                "When you go into somebody's back yard, you've got to overcome a lot of things," Cox said. "Our kids did great today. They jumped and got on top, then kind of relaxed and let them back in it.
                                                "(Heritage) fought hard. They played great in the middle quarters and it was a fight to the end, but our defense played great. Our coaches had a great defensive plan. And in the end, our offense kicked in and did a great job."
                                                Washington, who provided the final exclamation point with an interception that allowed AHS to run out the clock in the fourth quarter, said the Eagles wanted to prove there has been no dropoff in a program that has reached the playoffs 14 times in 15 years.
                                                "We knew we had to come out strong," he said. "We ended up finishing the game. We got up early and they came back on us. We had to close the door."
                                                Abilene High jumped out to a 21-0 lead just 14 minutes into the contest as Smith sandwiched touchdown runs of 6 and 48 yards around Washington's 27-yard scoring reception from Killam. The Eagles opened the game with a pair of 10-play drives, then needed just two plays to get Smith's second TD.
                                                "I was a little hesitant, but I came out with the boys and the boys put their confidence in me, their belief in me," said Smith, who carried 23 times in his first outing since being injured against Odessa Permian last season. "I just had to show that they didn't put it in the wrong person.
                                                "(The strong start) gets everybody going. It gets the defense going. If we get that going, the offense can't be stopped. It's just about execution."
                                                Herritage, playing its first game under new coach Joe Willis, struggled Early on. The Panthers had just 11 total yards and one first down on their first three possessions before the offense started clicking behind quarterback Cam Roane and wide receiver Ke'Von Ahmad.
                                                Roane, who finished 11 of 22 passing for 255 yards and two TDs, connected with Ahmad for a 52-yard score with 3:57 left in the half and Heritage pulled even in the third quarter. Ahmad, who had three receptions for 126 yards and rushed for 18 yards, had a 4-yard TD run and pulled in a 26-yard TD reception to knot the score at 21.
                                                The Abilene High defense, while victimized by big plays in the passing game, came up with the plays it needed to make when it counted. Coy McMillon recovered a fumble late in the first half after Heritage drove to the Eagle 3-yard line.
                                                Washington gave one reason for the Eagles' ability to stop the bleeding.
                                                "A good speech by Coach Cox," he said. "It's his first year, but he has some good leadership skills. He gave us a pump-up speech and we all knew what we had to do."
                                                After Ahmad's third score, AHS regained the lead on a 16-yard run by Immanuel Brown, who had 63 yards on 15 carries, with 9:35 left in the game. The Eagle defense came through with a Noah Gonzalez fumble recovery, a fourth-down stop and Washington's pick on the Panthers' final three possessions.
                                                Gonzalez's takeaway resulted in Smith Scoring from a yard out with 4:54 to go, then AHS stopped Heritage on downs at the Eagle 28 as the secondary stepped up with four pass breakups.
                                                "Our coaches prepared us for that moment exactly," safety Ray Velasquez said. "We knew exactly what we were doing and came out there and executed it perfectly."
                                                Cox said while it was a successful start, there's still plenty of work to be done over the next nine games.
                                                "We've got a lot of things to work on, no doubt about that," he said. "We've got to get better. This team, if they fix the little things, they can do some things later on. But we've got to get better. If we continue to get better, we'll be all right."
                                                NONDISTRICT
                                                ABILLENE HIGH 335, COLLEYVILLE HERITAGE 21
                                                Abilene High 7 14 0 14 — 35
                                                Heritage 0 7 14 0 — 0
                                                FIRST QUARTER
                                                AHS — Abram Smith 6 run (Oscar Hernandez kick), 7:21
                                                SECOND QUARTER
                                                AHS — Qua'Shawn Washington 27 pass from Peyton Killam (Hernandez kick), 11:53
                                                AHS — Smith 48 run (Hernandez kick), 10:00
                                                HER — Ke'Von Ahmad 52 pass from Cam Roane (Max Allan kick), 3:57
                                                THIRD QUARTER
                                                HER — Ahmad 4 run (Allan kick), 10:36
                                                HER — Ahmad 26 pass from Roane (Allan
                                                kick), 3:38
                                                FOURTH QUARTER
                                                AHS — Immanuel Brown 16 run (Hernandez kick), 9:35 AHS — Smith 1 run (Hernandez kick), 4:54
                                                AHS Her
                                                First downs 23 13
                                                Rushes-Yards 47-251 28-53
                                                Passing 142 255
                                                Comp-Att-Int 14-18-0 11-22-1
                                                Punts 4-32.3 3-39.0
                                                Fumbles-Lost 1-0 2-2
                                                Penalties-Yards 12-109 5-40
                                                INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
                                                RUSHING — Abilene High, Abram Smith 23-177, Immanuel Brown 15-63, Peyton Killam 5-25, Team 4-(minus 14). Colleyville Heritage, Mario Ortiz 4-23, Ke'Von Ahmad 3-18, Jamarie Williams 8-11, Isaiah Diggs 3-7, Cam Roane 10-(minus 6).
                                                PASSING — Abilene High, Peyton Killam 14-18-0—142. Colleyville Heritage, Cam Roane 11-22-1—255.
                                                RECEIVING — Abilene High, Qua'Shawn Washington 7-82, Raekwon Millsap 4-30, David Russell 2-29, Coy McMillon 1-1. Colleyville Heritage, Ke'Von Ahmad 3-126, Tommy Hall 2-24, Gervon Thorthion 2-20, Reid Harrison-Ducros 1-55, Martio Ortiz 1-21, Connor Cole 1-9.
                                                RECORDS — Abilene High 1-0; Colleyville Heritage 0-1.

Comment

Working...