X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dada
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

Katy/Manvel

Question....who do you think has the more pressure?

In every article, magazine, thread, etc that Manvel is in, the "Katy hump" always comes up, you can't get around. Someone says Manvel, someone else says Katy.

On the flip side, ever magazine, ranking, thread that mentions Katy....Cedar Hill and two second half meltdowns in title games pop up.

Manvel wants to get over the Katy hump, Katy wants to finish the second half of the title game(or Beat CHILL)

• svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

Manvel IMO. Manvel knows and everyone around the state knows that they have great football players at most positions. Manvel is the Desoto of Houston. Not sure exactly what it is that doesnt allow them to get over the hump but IMO it has to be a team chemistry issue or a coaching issue. With great athletes across the board egos become an issue and because of that you cant ever really form the team chemistry that is needed to win that state championship.

To go back to your original question I think more pressure is on Manvel to beat Katy than there is pressure on Katy to beat Cedar Hill.

Comment

• Kat-na-hat
      Practice Squad
      • Jul 2015

Manvel, focus on defense and discipline, if they want to get over the Katy hump. Pressure is squarely on them.

Comment

• Joe Edwards
        Practice Squad
        • Jul 2015

Manvel issue is exactly what Kat-na-hat stated...Defense and Discipline. If they can do those two things I like their chances.
        LSU Tigers
        Manvel Mavericks
        Shadow Creek Sharks

Comment

• Lilbradford
          Practice Squad
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Joe Edwards
          Manvel issue is exactly what Kat-na-hat stated...Defense and Discipline. If they can do those two things I like their chances.

after rewatching the Manvel game this AM I believe Manvel is taking themselves out of the game when trying to run an Oregon style tempo when the offense is not being that efficient and the defense isn't holding. Manvel was gassed at the end of both games. Not sure if they thought they were going to tire Katy out or what. Even during the game I was thinking that those boys (Manvel) were going to get gassed.

Comment

• svhorns
            All State
            • Apr 2015

So what does Manvel need to do to get those two intangibles to where they need them to be? I don't see it being a lack of talent. Do they need a new play caller on the defensive side of the ball? Is Manvel lacking defensive discipline or discipline in the sense that they lose their cool and commit stupid penalties?

Are the LBs filling the wrong gaps? Are the DB's out of position? I think the issue was specifically the run defense if I remember correctly.
            Last edited by svhorns; 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• dada
              2nd Team
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

So what does Manvel need to do to get those two intangibles to where they need them to be? I don't see it being a lack of talent. Do they need a new play caller on the defensive side of the ball? Is Manvel lacking defensive discipline or discipline in the sense that they lose their cool and commit stupid penalties?

Are the LBs filling the wrong gaps? Are the DB's out of position? I think the issue was specifically the run defense if I remember correctly.
              I think it all boils down to the work in the trenches. Katy's Oline has had their way in the two games played.

Comment

• svhorns
                All State
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada

I think it all boils down to the work in the trenches. Katy's Oline has had their way in the two games played.
                To be honest Katy always has one of the most technically sound o-lines in the state. Yall have a great mix of size and execution at that position and it's really fun to watch.

Comment

• Joe Edwards
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

(Disclaimer: Im no football guru, lol) but I think it's all of those things you mentioned ... And yes, it's specifically the run defense. Manvel has their struggles with power run teams. Personally I would like to see a new defensive scheme, but that's just my opinion on Manvel's issues. While others may disagree and tell you something different. I agree with DaDa a lot of it is in the trenches.

So if they can get those things in-line this season they will be fine...good group of kids, I spoke with a few them this 7-on-7 season, they seem focused and know it's their final shot at it.

If Manvel and Katy meet again this upcoming season, hopefully they tweak some things...I have faith and support my Mavericks.

Last edited by Joe Edwards; 07-23-2015, 08:53 PM.
                  LSU Tigers
                  Manvel Mavericks
                  Shadow Creek Sharks

Comment

• Super B
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Manvel has to have more pressure on them IMO.
                    Super B

Comment

• dada
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

(Disclaimer: Im no football guru, lol) but I think it's all of those things you mentioned ... And yes, it's specifically the run defense. Manvel has their struggles with power run teams. Personally I would like to see a new defensive scheme, but that's just my opinion on Manvel's issues. While others may disagree and tell you something different. I agree with DaDa a lot of it is in the trenches.

So if they can get those things in-line this season they will be fine...good group of kids, I spoke with a few them this 7-on-7 season, they seem focused and know it's their final shot at it.

If Manvel and Katy meet again this upcoming season, hopefully they tweak some things...I have faith and support my Mavericks.

Quick strike offense and a D that's not having success is a bad mixture IMO.....you keep putting the Defense back on the field and eventually, they wear down. Offense then would have to make every possesion count....turnovers, 3 and outs....not good. Katy has always been known for Defense...they will be strong, the offense helps them out by burning clock and keeping them rested and fresh on the sidelines. Something that didnt happen the last two title games.

Comment

• ktCarl
                        Special Teams
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada
                        Question....who do you think has the more pressure?

In every article, magazine, thread, etc that Manvel is in, the "Katy hump" always comes up, you can't get around. Someone says Manvel, someone else says Katy.

On the flip side, ever magazine, ranking, thread that mentions Katy....Cedar Hill and two second half meltdowns in title games pop up.

Manvel wants to get over the Katy hump, Katy wants to finish the second half of the title game(or Beat CHILL)
                        Biggest pressure is on Manvel. They haven't beat Katy yet. They still have to prove they can do it.
                        I think Steele is the most likely opponent to stop Katy getting to the State Final.

Comment

• TrojanHorse03
                          Special Teams
                          • Apr 2015

Manvel. No offense but this is a dumb question. I know you saw Dada the way your boys were blowing them off the line of scrimmage(O+D) two years running. Manvel might, might hold you guys under 300 yards rushing this time, but the pressure is always on the mind of the less physical team.
                          Last edited by TrojanHorse03; 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• TrojanHorse03
                            Special Teams
                            • Apr 2015

Also take heart Cedar Hill didn't beat Katy with "street ball." Cedar Hill is a program with a great offensive culture that I've always said is better at scheming than people thought. They had been incorporating packages for Avery Davis throughout the postseason.

That offensive line was really moving people vs. Southlake(much better than Trinity did) & Westfield and Katy contained them.
                            Last edited by TrojanHorse03; 07-25-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...