Clear All
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

svhorn's San Antonio Area 6A predictions **Updated after WK 1**

Yes, this post was inspired by dada.

25-6A
    :

1) Cibolo Steele Knights - Right now Steele is the cream of the crop in San Antonio and nothing seems to be slowing them down. They return plenty of players on the offensive side of the ball and also have a huge hitter in Texas A&M commit DE Mark Jackson on the defensive side of the ball. Steele has the ability to out athlete everyone in San Antonio and if you mix that in with a great coach as they have in Coach Lehnhoff, well, you won't lose that often.

2) Smithson Valley Rangers - Smithson Valley returns their most important player for their 2015 run in 24 year letterman Coach Larry Hill. All joking aside, most pundits probably have Judson here in the 2nd spot but Smithson Valley's dominance over Judson isn't something I can ignore. Smithson Valley returns Junior QB Josh Adkins who can beat you with the pass and take off when the lanes open up. The defense will be lead by LB Ben Zeug.

3) Converse Judson Rockets - Led by QB Julon Williams and Texas A&M DE commit Alton Robinson. Just like Steele, there's no shortage of athletes at Judson. Coach McAuliffe will be in his 2nd year at Judson and now that's he had a chance to implement his system look for more improved play in all facets of the game.

4) Schertz Clemens Buffaloes - I wasn't sure if I wanted to give this spot to Clemens or New Braunfels but I had to base it on returning starters. Clemens is returning 13 starters and 8 of them live on the offensive side of the ball. I like the experience for Clemens to get them the 4 spot and the last playoff spot.

26-6A:

1) San Antonio Reagan Rattlers- This is really a no brainer pick here. Reagan will be led by Mr. Everything and Baylor commit Junior QB Kellen Mond. Kellen is one the of the top signal callers not just in the state but in the nation. Coach Wetzel also has a son on the team that isn't a bad player himself.

2) San Antonio Madison Mavericks- Madison seems to be a hit or miss team. They'll come up and win games they aren't supposed to but make too many mistakes and lose to teams they should handily beat. I think Coach Smith will be able to limit their mistakes this year. Madison isn't returning too many starters from last years team but Madison isn't a school that lacks in the athlete department.

3) San Antonio Johnson Jaguars - Johnson, if the trend continues can become a serious threat for Steele, Reagan, Jusdon, Brennan, and Smithson Valley in the near future. They seem to get better as the years pass. Once in the shadow of SA Reagan soon after the high school was built, Johnson is looking to become a San Antonio power house.

4) San Antonio MacArthur Brahmas - MacArthur will be led by Texas Tech baseball commit senior QB Josh Jung. I think with Jung at the helm of the offense mixed in with the other 6 returning starters they'll have on the offense, it should get them just above SA Churchill and into last playoff spot.

27-6A:

1) San Antonio Brennan Bears - Another no brainer pick for the 1st spot. Brennan is a budding power house who reloads without a hitch. Brennan will be led by RB Devonte Warren on the offensive side and LB DJ Allen on the defensive side. SA Brennan will have one of the toughest defenses in the San Antonio area.

2) San Antonio Brandeis Broncos - Brandeis has always been a mystery to me. They might have one highly regarded player here and there but always seem to perform at a high level. The consistency they've shown the last several years has been outstanding. Brandeis will be under the helm of ex Allen High School OC Jeff Fleener. Fleener should have no problem stepping in and getting the most out of his kids.

3) San Antonio O'Connor Panthers - I really don't know much about this O'Connor team but after taking a look at the rest of the district I feel safe putting them at #3. O'Connor usually puts together a good team and can handle the other teams outside of Brennan and Brandeis with relative ease.

4) San Antonio Stevens Falcons - Stevens returns only 6 starters on both sides of the ball. Again, after looking at the rest of the district. Stevens traditionally has the players to handle the other teams in the district. Stevens will be led by DE Elijah Earls and QB Bryce Rivers.

28-6A:

1) San Antonio East Central Hornets - While this is a weak district East Central does have some good athletes that can compete. I don't see a team from Corpus being able to take the #1 spot from East Central this year. East Central will be led by Justin Upshaw-Mendoza and LB Dalton Tarr.

2) Corpus Christi King Mustangs - King returns 8 offensive starters which should help them get off to a fast start. King and Corpus Christi Carroll are usuallty the top 2 CC teams in this district and have great games head to head. King will have QB Spencer Manuel calling the plays and LB Rodney Taylor holding things down for the defense.

3) Corpus Christi Carroll Tigers - I wasn't sure if I wanted to put them here at 3 or at 2 in front of King but I had to place them at one of those spots. The game between King and Carroll should decide who the runner-up of this district will be. Carroll will be led by RB Noah Lisk and QB Jesse Jones.

4) San Antonio Southwest Dragons - I have Southwest in the final playoff spot for 28-6A because the other teams really aren't that great. Southwest used to be a formidable opponent in the playoffs for Smithson Valley who they always seemed to play in the 1st round. Southwest will be led by RB Tyrone Middleton.
    Last edited by svhorns; 07-09-2015, 02:40 AM.
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

San Antonio Area 6A Rankings

1) San Antonio Reagan
    2) Cibolo Steele
    3) San Antonio Brennan
    4) Smithson Valley
    5) Converse Judson
    6) San Antonio Brandeis
    7) San Antonio Madison
    8) San Antonio Johnson
    9) Schertz Clemens
    10) San Antonio MacArthur
    11) San Antonio O'Connor
    12) San Antonio East Central
    13) Corpus Christi King
    14) San Antonio Stevens
    15) Corpus Christi Carroll
    16) San Antonio Southwest
    Last edited by svhorns; 06-25-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• sTp
      1st Team
      • Apr 2015

Good stuff!!

Comment

• svhorns
        All State
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
        Good stuff!!

Don't lie to me. No on one likes San Antonio or region 4, it sucks.

Comment

• Eagle2
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Thanks guys. Good to know about teams other than Cibolo, Judson, and Reagan.

Comment

• Super B
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Nice job.

Reagan ahead of Steele? How long and hard did you think about that one?
            Super B

Comment

• svhorns
              All State
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
              Nice job.

Reagan ahead of Steele? How long and hard did you think about that one?
              I like Kellen Mond a lot. He has the ability to take over a game and he has playmakers on the outside he can get the ball to. With Mond, Reagan reminds me of the Kerrville Tivy team when they had Johnny Manziel. Steele did beat Tivy that year but this Steele team isn't as stout. It could go either way honestly, just went with my gut.

Comment

• sTp
                1st Team
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns

Come on now, that doesn't diminish your write up. Still fun stuff to read.

Comment

• sTp
                  1st Team
                  • Apr 2015

Didn't San Antonio Madison just get a new head coach? I can't remember if this will be his first or second season on the job and wondering if he can get Madison even further than their previous HC.

Comment

• svhorns
                    All State
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by sTp
                    Didn't San Antonio Madison just get a new head coach? I can't remember if this will be his first or second season on the job and wondering if he can get Madison even further than their previous HC.
                    2nd year coach Mark Smith from most previously Judson before that he was the coach at Kerrville Tivy when Johnny Foosball was there. Jim Streety was the coach prior to Smith at Madison. Streety is one of the winningest high school football coaches in Texas. Big shoes to fill but I don't think this team will make it to the state semis.
                    Last edited by svhorns; 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• dada
                      2nd Team
                      • Apr 2015

Reagan that good? I'm thinking Katy/Steele at the Alamodome this season.

Comment

• svhorns
                        All State
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada
                        I guess we will find out

Comment

• svhorns
                          All State
                          • Apr 2015

If the Steele fans find this thread I'll be in a world of hurt.

Comment

• sTp
                            1st Team
                            • Apr 2015

I'm inviting them all now..

Comment

• CHill
                              1st Team
                              • Apr 2015

What's R-4?

Comment

• svhorns
                                All State
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by CHill

What's R-4?
                                Messyco.

Comment

• Knightro
                                  Practice Squad
                                  • Aug 2015

I like Kellen Mond a lot. He has the ability to take over a game and he has playmakers on the outside he can get the ball to. With Mond, Reagan reminds me of the Kerrville Tivy team when they had Johnny Manziel. Steele did beat Tivy that year but this Steele team isn't as stout. It could go either way honestly, just went with my gut.
                                  Oh son...........this team will be very, vey stout grasshopper..............just you wait and see...............

Comment

• Knightro
                                    Practice Squad
                                    • Aug 2015

Too late, lol

Comment

• BevoBo
                                      Special Teams
                                      • Apr 2015

That's good stuff svhorns! Outside of Judson and Steele, don't know much about R-4. I'll trust your analysis, except I might go with Steele on top. I don't know how you guys keep up with all this. I have a hard time just keeping up with R-1, much less the rest of the state.

Comment

• CHill
                                        1st Team
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dada

The only teams in that region are Steele and Judson, Steele will be there in the semi's again, not much stands in their way.

Comment

• svhorns
                                          All State
                                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                                          That's good stuff svhorns! Outside of Judson and Steele, don't know much about R-4. I'll trust your analysis, except I might go with Steele on top. I don't know how you guys keep up with all this. I have a hard time just keeping up with R-1, much less the rest of the state.
                                          I could have easily went with Steele on top and I wanted to but I always like to go the bold route. If there's a team this year that can surprise Steele my pick is Reagan. It makes the season much more fun to follow when you predict an upset.

Comment

• svhorns
                                            All State
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by CHill

The only teams in that region are Steele and Judson, Steele will be there in the semi's again, not much stands in their way.
                                            From a media standpoint that's true. Steele fans know the SV game won't be an easy win. SV was up at the half against them last year. If Steele has to play Brennan or Reagan they wont be going into those games thinking it's going to be a blowout. Steele is top to bottom the best team in region 4 but they'll be tested prior to making the semi's.

Comment

• svhorns
                                              All State
                                              • Apr 2015

San Antonio Area 2015 Playoff Team Rankings After Week 1

1) San Antonio Reagan
                                              2) Cibolo Steele
                                              3) San Antonio Brennan
                                              4) Converse Judson
                                              5) Smithson Valley
                                              6) San Antonio Johnson
                                              7) Schertz Clemens
                                              8) San Antonio Brandeis
                                              9) San Antonio MacArthur
                                              10) San Antonio O'Connor
                                              11) San Antonio Churchill
                                              12) San Antonio East Central
                                              13) San Antonio Stevens
                                              14) Corpus Christi Carroll
                                              15) Corpus Christi King
                                              16) San Antonio Southwest
                                              Last edited by svhorns; 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Bass
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Aug 2015

For anyone interested in very early playoff scenarios, here's the sixteen teams Horns has ranked grouped into their divisions with his rankings left in place.

D1

1. San Antonio Reagan
                                                4. Converse Judson
                                                5. Smithson Valley
                                                10. San Antonio Madison
                                                11. San Antonio O'Connor
                                                12. San Antonio East Central
                                                13. San Antonio Stevens
                                                14. Corpus Christi Carroll

D2

2. Cibolo Steele
                                                3. San Antonio Brennan
                                                6. San Antonio Johnson
                                                7. Schertz Clemens
                                                8. San Antonio Brandeis
                                                9. San Antonio MacArthur
                                                15. Corpus Christi King
                                                16. San Antonio Southwest

I'd like to see Canyon make the playoffs in 25-6A so Smithson Valley goes D2.

Comment

• svhorns
                                                  All State
                                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Bass
                                                  For anyone interested in very early playoff scenarios, here's the sixteen teams Horns has ranked grouped into their divisions with his rankings left in place.

D1

1. San Antonio Reagan
                                                  4. Converse Judson
                                                  5. Smithson Valley
                                                  10. San Antonio Madison
                                                  11. San Antonio O'Connor
                                                  13. San Antonio Stevens

D2

2. Cibolo Steele
                                                  3. San Antonio Brennan
                                                  6. San Antonio Johnson
                                                  7. Schertz Clemens
                                                  8. San Antonio Brandeis
                                                  9. San Antonio MacArthur
                                                  15. Corpus Christi King

Comment

• svhorns
                                                    All State
                                                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Bass

D1

1. San Antonio Reagan
                                                    4. Converse Judson
                                                    5. Smithson Valley
                                                    10. San Antonio Madison
                                                    11. San Antonio O'Connor
                                                    13. San Antonio Stevens

D2

2. Cibolo Steele
                                                    3. San Antonio Brennan
                                                    6. San Antonio Johnson
                                                    7. Schertz Clemens
                                                    8. San Antonio Brandeis
                                                    9. San Antonio MacArthur
                                                    15. Corpus Christi King

sorry had to make a change. Removed Madison. Added SA Churchill. Moved O'Connor up a spot.

Comment

• Knightro
                                                      Practice Squad
                                                      • Aug 2015

Steele still rolling hard at this time of the year. Still have things to tweak and improve on, but that's why we play the games. I REALLY like where we are at right now. This team is solid!!

Comment

Working...