Originally posted by chhspantherfan
    Trinity
    Southlake
    Coppell
    Heritage
    Bell
    Richland
    Haltom

What will Bell do? Isn't that always the question?
    I think Bell may have made the right hire finally. I suppose we'll see, but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and hearing elsewhere Glaze seems to be building a lot of excitement. Probably gonna take a few years, but who knows?
    Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:06 PM.
    Super B
  • chhspantherfan
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
    I think Bell may have made the right hire finally. I suppose we'll see, but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and hearing elsewhere Blaze seems to be building a lot of excitement. Probably gonna take a few years, but who knows?
    Here's where I think we all agree, if he gets everyone to come out and he can build a "Bell against the world" mentality and sustain it. THEN he wins immediately.

Comment

• Super B
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Here's where I think we all agree, if he gets everyone to come out and he can build a "Bell against the world" mentality and sustain it. THEN he wins immediately.
      That seems to be the direction he is pushing. @Mike_Glaze is all about #BleedBlue.
      Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:05 PM.
      Super B

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Football
        RSS
        dfwVarsity > Sports > Football

Posted Monday, Jun. 15, 2015 Share

Coaching transition has been easy for Euless Trinity star running backA

By Brian Gosset

bgosset@star-telegram.com

Despite a new head football coach at Trinity, nothing has really changed for the offense and senior-to-be running back Ja’Ron Wilson.

Wilson, who started for last year's squad, which reached the fourth round of the playoffs, says that with any new coach players have to learn what to expect, but since first-year head coach Chris Jensen has taken over the job in Euless, everything seems familiar.

“We've just been training in the weight room and getting stronger and faster.”

Wilson, who was named to the first team offense in all-district voting, will be in his final season with the Trojans in a sport he’s been playing since he was seven years old.

However, Wilson hasn't always been a running back, let alone the starter for one of Texas’ most storied teams. He actually started off on the defensive side at linebacker. In his second year, he played quarterback.

It wasn't until his third year playing football when he finally decided to run the ball.

“I had my mind set at being a running back, so I put in the countless hours of training,” Wilson said. “I've stuck with football this long because I eat, sleep and breathe football.”

Jensen said the work and dedication have paid off. “Ja'Ron was one of the players that had an outstanding spring for us and we expect great things from him next season,” he said.

Wilson is confident that even with Jensen taking over for Lineweaver, the Trojans should remain the favorites to win the District 7-6A title and be a contender for a state championship game appearance.

“The most important thing is being a part of something special with my brothers on the football field,” he said.

Wilson was the definition of workhorse last year. In the Trojans’ first four games, Wilson ran the ball to a tune of 74 times and 447 yards – a 112 yards-per-game average – and scored five touchdowns. The Trojans would finish the season with nearly 5,000 yards on the ground.

The Trojans' football, track and basketball star stays busy year-round and looks up to Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.
        He has some colleges looking at him to play the next level, but won't name any in particular as his favorite.

“I am just grateful for any school that gives me the opportunity to be a part of its team,” Wilson said.

Some schools that have shown interest are SMU, Arkansas State, Illinois, Kansas, Fresno State, Texas State and Nevada. He plans to major in business. Wilson said he is also the joker on the field and loves to make his teammates laugh.

Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM.
        Super B

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

I can't remember where I heard this, but the Dragons hired a new assistant coach. Bell fans will remember this name. Eric Vance.
          Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
            Special Teams
            • Apr 2015

I can't remember where I heard this, but the Dragons hired a new assistant coach. Bell fans will remember this name. Eric Vance.

Yep, he was a very good DB for Bell and I believe played in the NFL. I thought he had a brother that played RB around same time he was there at Bell, not sure.
            Last edited by BevoBo; 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Super B
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by TrinityTrojan299
              DL will be impressive. Size, speed, and depth. They have the potential to be dominate, especially if Daniels can stay healthy.

OL will be good, but it will take them a while to gel and get all the blocking schemes down. Look for them to struggle early then find their way after a few games.

RB pool is very talented and very deep. Zero concern there.

Secondary is a point of concern, just because they are new. We lost a lot to graduation. I think we will be fine here, but again may take a few games to get up to speed.

TE, WR, QB. Who knows? We have talent and potential here, but this whole open up the offense a bit more is new to us. I think Trinity would be a nightmare to defend if we prove to have an effective short passing game. I hope it comes together, because if it does this team could be playing late into December. Just depends on getting the secondary and OL up to the level they need to be.
              Thank you.
              Super B

Comment

• Super B
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                When does fall camp start? If anyone knows.
                Good question.
                Super B

Comment

• Super B
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DPaul

Schools without spring training can start Aug. 3rd for conditioning only and first contact practice on Aug. 7th.

Schools with spring training have to wait til Aug. 10 for conditioning only and first contact practice on Aug. 14th.

As Per UIL website
                  Thanks.
                  Super B

Comment

• SLC13
                    '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
                    • Apr 2015

7-6A TEAM ANALYSIS and PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
                    by Matt Stepp - TOC

EULESS TRINITY TROJANS
                    ENROLLMENT: 3,246 (2)
                    2014 RECORD: 12-2 6A Div. I State Quarter-Finalist
                    THE COACH: Chris Jensen
                    THE PLAYERS: Tyler Natee (Sr., QB/RB), Malini Tuipulotu (Jr., QB), Caleb Cumbie (Sr., TE), Latu Kata (Sr., OL), Chris Daniels (Sr., DL), Justus Gregg (Sr., LB), DeJaun Garrett (Sr., RB), Ja’Ron Wilson (Sr., RB), Elijah Tasini (Sr., LB), Ben Kautai (Sr., DL), Leland Brown (Sr., DL)
                    THE WORD: Offensive coordinator Chris Jensen takes over after the retirement of Steve Lineweaver, who won three state titles at Trinity. Plenty return from the 2014 season, which ended with a heart-breaking, last-second field goal by eventual champ Allen. Natee (57-100, 935 passing, 183-1,400 rushing), was a run-first QB out of the spread last season. Also returning is leading rusher Ja’Ron Wilson (261-1,791, 2 TDs), giving the Trojans a second season of the dynamic rushing duo. The offense also is expecting the return of De’Jaun Garrett, who missed much of last season with a broken leg. Helping block for them will be all-district picks Cumbie (6-1, 230) and center Kata, but Trinity must replace four offensive linemen. Wilson is also a threat catching the ball, as he was the second-best receiver (12-227, 3 TDs) last season. Jensen and his staff will get an early evaluation of his team, as Trinity will face perennial national power De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) in the season opener at Mansfield’s Vernon Newsom Stadium.

SOUTHLAKE CARROLL DRAGONS
                    ENROLLMENT: 2,601 (5)
                    2014 RECORD: 13-1 6A Div. II State Quarter-Finalist
                    THE COACH: Hal Wasson
                    THE PLAYERS: Obi Eboh (Sr., DB), Lil'Jordan Humphrey (Sr., RB), Jake Oldroyd (Sr., K/P), Zach Farrar (Sr., WR), Lucas Tribble (Sr., OL), Montana Murphy (Sr., QB), Jake Copeland (Jr., LB), Robert Barnes (Jr., DB), Barrett Buck, Jr., DB)
                    THE WORD: The Dragons must replace nine starters on defense, but the offense seems primed for a return to the 6A playoffs and another deep run. Humphrey (6-5, 200) ran for 1,828 yards and 29 TDs last season and should put up big numbers again, his height at 6’5 is unusual for a running back and it’s possible he moves to receiver if SLC can find a suitable replacement at running back. Tribble (25 pancakes, 40 knockdowns) leads the offensive line, which will also be protecting Murphy (249 yards, 5 TDs passing). Farrar (29-554, 3 TDs) is the top returning pass catcher. Farrar should also be a weapon in the return game. Jake Oldroyd averaged 37.4 yards per punt, and did not miss on 54 PAT attempts and 8 field goals in 2014. Eboh (21 Division I offers), Copeland (63 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT) and Barnes, who started two games at outside linebacker last season, are the top veterans on defense. Wasson says the running game should be the team’s strength, but Carroll must prove itself in its depth, speed, and kicking game.

COPPELL COWBOYS
                    ENROLLMENT: 3,532 (1)
                    2014 RECORD: 6-5 6A Div. I Bi-District Playoffs
                    THE COACH: Mike DeWitt
                    THE PLAYERS: Josh Fink (Sr., WR), Obi Obialo (Sr., WR), Brandon Rice (Sr., RB), Myles Paschall (Sr., QB), Dylan Galloway (Sr., OL), Drew Smith (Sr., TE), Tyler Bell(Sr., LB), Daniel Storie (Sr., LB), A.J. Johnson (Sr., DL), Tyler Smith (Sr., K), Tim Heard (Jr., RB).
                    THE WORD: The Cowboys return a wealth of offensive and defensive skill position players but must revamp both lines to continue their success in 2015. However, Coppell must also replace nine starters on defense. Obialo caught 40 passes for a 15-yard average last season, while Fink caught 8 TDs and averaged more than 23 yards per catch. Rice ran for 5 TDs and a 4.5 average on the ground in a backup role last season. So expect the Cowboys offense to be plenty potent. The offensive line took some heavy losses to graduation, but Coach DeWitt feels like he’s got capable replacements in the fold. Coppell’s defense struggled at times last year, most notably against teams that had a lot of speed and that could be an issue again in 2015. Bell (64 tackles) and Storie (34 tackles) highlight a promising linebacker corps. Johnson (28 tackles, 2 TFL) is one cornerstone DeWitt is counting on to bolster the defense. The Cowboys should find out early what they’re made of, as their non-district schedule includes Cedar Hill, McKinney Boyd, Hebron, and Broken Arrow, Okla.

COLLEYVILLE HERITAGE PANTHERS
                    ENROLLMENT: 2,254.4 (6)
                    2014 RECORD: 5-6, 6A Div. II Bi-District Playoffs
                    THE COACH: Joe Willis
                    THE PLAYERS: Trey Poirier (Sr., OL), Nick Walters (Sr., OL), Jamarie Williams (Sr., RB), Cole Carter (Jr., WR), Nike Torres (Sr., WR), Reid Harrison-Ducros (Sr., DB), Ke’Andre Johnson (Sr., DL), Trevor Klecker (Sr., LB), Logan Debelle (Sr., DL), Max Allan (Sr., K)
                    THE WORD: Colleyville Heritage is needing some stability as they’ll be on their third head coach in as many seasons after the departure of HC Darren Allman, to Southlake Carroll to take the AD job. They are hopeful that stability arrives with the blockbuster hire of former Cedar Park HC Joe Willis in late May. Despite losing all-district RB DeMarco Corbin to graduation, the Panthers have plenty returning on both sides of the ball in 2015. Poirier and Walters were both all-7-6A picks, while Carter and Torres (16-155, 1 TD) are top threats at wide receiver. Williams ran for 437 yards and 4 TDs last season and will be the key guy to replace the production of Corbin. The biggest question mark for the Panthers will be finding a guy to step in at the QB slot. Harrison-Ducros made 50 tackles and 5 passes defended as a junior. Johnson and Kleckner combined for 79 stops and nine tackles for loss. Allan is one of the top kickers in the DFW area, and his 4.98 GPA makes his an appealing Division I candidate. Colleyville Heritage is one of the smallest schools in the area at the 6A level, they are a good candidate to possibly drop down to 5A next realignment.

HURST BELL BLUE RAIDERS
                    ENROLLMENT: 2,859 (3)
                    2014 RECORD: 1-9
                    THE COACH: Mike Glaze
                    THE PLAYERS: Tyler Dunlop (Sr., P), Brendon Weatherspoon (Jr., OL), Tacorian Howard (Sr., WR), Blake Jenkins (Sr., DL), Brandon Sitole (Jr., OL), Antonio Finau (Sr., LB), Dominique Lawson (Sr., QB), Tevita Ahio (Jr., OL)
                    THE WORD: With seven returning starters on offense, look for the Raiders to be more explosive on offense, especially with a new regime in place after the departure of Mark Smith to join the SMU staff. Bell scored 14 points or fewer in seven games in 2014, but the return of dual-threat QB Lawson and road-graders Weatherspoon (6-5, 295), Sitole (6-1, 275), and Ahio (6-1, 290) should make the offense move more efficiently in one of the state’s toughest districts. Dunlop, all-state as a junior, should also be a weapon in the punting game to try and tilt field position. Howard (6-2, 175) was the team’s leading receiver (27-262, 2 TDs), but Bell must settle on a lead running back to take advantage of that big and physical group up front. Glaze, the former offensive coordinator at Cedar Hill, has a lot of young players with varsity experience, but says many other underclassmen will need to contribute.

RICHLAND REBELS
                    ENROLLMENT: 2,174 (7)
                    2014 RECORD: 4-6
                    THE COACH: Ged Kates
                    THE PLAYERS: Ledarryle Bryant (Sr., DB), Colton Curtis (Sr., QB), P.J. Hill (Sr., DB), Colton Burgess (Sr., DL), Avieon Shanklin (Sr., RB), Kyle Itoka (Jr., DB), Aaron Denson (Sr., WR), Donovan Franklin (Sr., DB), Peter Cornell (Jr., LB), Will Allen (Sr., LB), Jordan Wiley (Sr., LB)
                    THE WORD: Richland lost much of its offensive skill position players to graduation, but returns an impressive crop of returnees on defense. Hill, Burgess, and Bryant were all all-district picks in 2014. Last season, Wiley averaged eight tackles per game and registered four sacks and is part of a veteran linebacker group. Itoka had two interceptions and caused a fumble, while Bryant led the team with 7 pass break-ups. Kates will likely have to use some of his best players on both sides of the ball. The Rebels would like to get off to a better start in 2015, after going 1-3 in non-district games last season—including a pair of close losses to Arlington Lamar and Irving MacArtur. Richland’s final four games are against playoff perennials Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Euless Trinity, and Colleyville Heritage.

HALTOM BUFFALOS

ENROLLMENT: 2,666 (4)
                    2014 RECORD: 0-10
                    THE COACH: Jason Tucker
                    THE PLAYERS: Tyree Smith (Sr., DL), Gavin Ricks (Jr., LB), Deonta Cooksey (Sr., DB), Jacob Martinez (Jr., ATH), Matt Espinosa (Sr., TE), Zach Smith (So., LB), Austin Cooksey (Jr., DB), Imiee Cooksey (So., QB/RB), Taylor Lunkwitz (Jr., TE/LB)
                    THE WORD: The chances of snapping a 16-game losing skid could rest on the shoulders of several siblings for the Buffalos. While the offensive line will be brand new, Espinosa and Lunkwitz will allow Haltom to line up in a two-TE set when needed. Tucker says his defensive line should be solid and two returning starters in the secondary provide some security. Younger brother Zach is expected to join Tyree Smith on defense, as well as Austin teaming with older brother Deonta Cooksey in the secondary. Youngest of the trio, Imiee Cooksey, will compete for time in the offensive backfield. Tucker says his team needs to improve at linebacker, but the Broncos look forward to “competing in arguably the best district in all of high school football.”

Last edited by SLC13; 07-21-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• SLC13
                      • Apr 2015

The only issue I have with the Carroll analysis is saying the Dragons "must prove themselves in the kicking game". Stepp needs to watch a few more Carroll games to appreciate how good a kicker Jake Oldroyd was last year. Perfect on PAT's and high percentage of FG made is pretty darn good and his punting average was very respectable as well. His only weakness was his inability to have a touchback on every KO.

Drew Brown had the same weakness as Jr. but he worked hard to improve his leg strength and by his Sr. year was booming most every KO for a touchback. He of course end up with a D1 scholly to Nebraska. I would be very surprised if Oldroyd hasn't followed the same script and improved his leg strength as well.

Comment

• Super B
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLC13
                        The only issue I have with the Carroll analysis is saying the Dragons "must prove themselves in the kicking game". Stepp needs to watch a few more Carroll games to appreciate how good a kicker Jake Oldroyd was last year. Perfect on PAT's and high percentage of FG made is pretty darn good and his punting average was very respectable as well. His only weakness was his inability to have a touchback on every KO.

Drew Brown had the same weakness as Jr. but he worked hard to improve his leg strength and by his Sr. year was booming most every KO for a touchback. He of course end up with a D1 scholly to Nebraska. I would be very surprised if Oldroyd hasn't followed the same script and improved his leg strength as well.
                        Yeah, that's pretty laughable. Carroll is like a training ground for D1 college kickers.
                        Super B

Comment

• DPaul
                          Special Teams
                          • Apr 2015

Thanks.
                          You're welcome

Comment

• SLC13
                            • Apr 2015

Countdown to kickoff: New coach brings winning attitude to L.D. Bell team that won once in 2014
                            By Bruce Unrue
                            cunrue@star-telegram.com

Last season: 1-9 (1-5 in District 7-6A)

Key players: QB Dominique Lawson (6-0, 180); WR Tacorian Howard (6-2, 190); OL Anesu “Brandon” Sitole (6-1, 280); OL Brendon Weatherspoon (6-4, 290); RB Ivan Trayler (5-9, 165); RB Terry Pace (5-8, 170); DT Blake Jenkins (5-11, 235); LB Fernando Lazo (5-10, 185); P Tyler Dunlop (6-3, 195).

The big picture: The Blue Raiders may be coming off a bad season, but new head coach Mike Glaze knows a thing or two about winning. Last year at this time, he was helping prepare back-to-back 6A Division II state champion Cedar Hill as its offensive coordinator. “The first day he walked into spring practice, he showed us his state championship ring, and said, ‘This is what you’re preparing to play for.’ ” said senior DT Blake Jenkins. “Just seeing the confidence in the way he does things, we’re starting to believe — why not us?” Glaze is planning to channel a lot that he learned from Cedar Hill coach Joey McGuire during his seven years there. “Coach McGuire will have his fingerprints all over this program,” Glaze said. The new coach believes Bell isn’t far away from being a playoff team again. Senior QB Dominique Lawson, who threw for 810 yards and ran for another 606 in 2014, picked up Glaze’s complicated multiple offense quickly in the spring.

He’ll have a big target in WR Tacorian Howard (27 catches, 222 yards, 2 TDs) along with two inside receivers in Ricky Walton and Jonathan Castillo, who were part of Bell’s record-setting 4x100 relay team last spring. Add to this mix a pair of young, promising running backs in Ivan Traylor (30 TDs on sophomore team) and Terry Pace, who both impressed in the spring. They’ll run behind a beefy offensive line that includes 6-4, 290-pound junior tackle Brendon Weatherspoon. “We’ve got some big kids, and we’ve got some really athletic kids,” Glaze points out. “That’s a good place to start.” The biggest challenge may come on defense, where the Blue Raiders must find a way to avoid giving up the 35-plus points per game they did in 2014. Glaze, who says injuries really hurt the team last season, is hoping returning veterans like DT Blake Jenkins and LB Fernando Lazo can lead the way in turning the tide. If all else fails, senior all-state punter Tyler Dunlop can keep the opposition pinned back with his 41.3-yard average.

Quotable: “He’s changed the whole mentality, the culture and atmosphere of L.D. Bell football. And it’s not just with the team, but the whole school. After last year, people were making fun of us, saying we probably would win just one game again this year. Now, they’re talking about how many.” — DT Blake Jenkins
                            “To come into a program that hadn’t had that expectation level, your focus and direction is to do things the way that championship programs do them; lay that foundation and build on that. I’ve been preaching from Day One that if you’re looking for the same standards in your program, you’re looking for the same results. The kids have been very enthusiastic about the change.” — Coach Mike Glaze
                            “I’m excited to see how the new offense goes. I think a lot of our opponents might not be prepared for it. It’s fast and we go hard every play. It’s built on confusing the defense. I can’t wait to try it out.” — QB Dominique Lawson

Notable: Despite a one-win season in 2014, L.D. Bell had been a playoff team each of the two previous years, losing in the opening round in 2012 and 2013, both times to Cedar Hill, Glaze’s former team.

Comment

• BevoBo
                              Special Teams
                              • Apr 2015

Could be a sleeping giant... Maybe not this year, but down the road. Glaze seems like a good hire for Bell. Hope he sticks around if/when he is successful.

Comment

• SLC13
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo
                                Could be a sleeping giant... Maybe not this year, but down the road. Glaze seems like a good hire for Bell. Hope he sticks around if/when he is successful.
                                I agree, Glaze does seem to have the right pedigree to do well. The question will be can he coach up a team that's not loaded with D1 talent like he had at Cedar Hill.

Comment

• Super B
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLC13

I agree, Glaze does seem to have the right pedigree to do well. The question will be can he coach up a team that's not loaded with D1 talent like he had at Cedar Hill.
                                  D1 talent is overrated. Coaching is where it's at. A few years back, Bell had lots of talent on their roster, but insufficient coaching. Last few seasons players quit the team. If Glaze is what we think he might be, participation will go up, more talent will come onto the football team at Bell. While not Cedar Hill, Bell has the potential to have just as much talent as Trinity, Lamar, Coppell, SLC or whatever other good team you can name not along the I-20 corridor.
                                  Super B

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                    Special Teams
                                    • Apr 2015

D1 talent is overrated. Coaching is where it's at. A few years back, Bell had lots of talent on their roster, but insufficient coaching. Last few seasons players quit the team. If Glaze is what we think he might be, participation will go up, more talent will come onto the football team at Bell. While not Cedar Hill, Bell has the potential to have just as much talent as Trinity, Lamar, Coppell, SLC or whatever other good team you can name not along the I-20 corridor.

But Bell has I-20 Speedway quality....... they went 41.44 last Spring and who knows who moved in, so they might be real good real soon.
                                    Last edited by chhspantherfan; 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• CHill
                                      1st Team
                                      • Apr 2015

But Bell has I-20 Speedway quality....... they went 41.44 last Spring and who knows who moved in, so they might be real good real soon.

They will most likely go on 4th down from their 35 yard line, the hard one doesn't believe in punting from the 35 and on.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by CHill

They will most likely go on 4th down from their 35 yard line, the hard one doesn't believe in punting from the 35 and on.

that will make it interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing them come out cookin' against Keller Central, Rockwall Heath, and Abilene. Then open with Coppell. Could be interesting.

Comment

• Super B
                                          All District
                                          • Apr 2015

Heading to the Penn for early intra-squad scrimmage. Yes, I am late.
                                          Super B

Comment

• Trojanbacker2
                                            Special Teams
                                            • Jul 2015

I have been able to observe a few practices both in the spring and this summer. Here are a few of my observations:
                                            • The impact of the new offensive coordinator is obvious.QB’s have been working hard on their footwork, reads and throwing motion.They are now capable of overthrowing their receivers by a much greater distance and with much better form.
                                            • Much of last year’s offensive line is gone and the new unit is a work in progress at this point.This year’s group appears to have good size but their holding technique needs a lot of work.The term “pass protection” has been introduced to them and they seem to have a passing understanding of the term.
                                            • With the new Head Coach also comes possible changes to the Haka.During the spring they were experimenting with more of a chorus line approach, heavy on high-kicks.The team was given the assignment of watching “So You Think You Can Dance” this summer with an eye on improving their technique.
                                            • There will be more passing this season.Receivers have been drilled on looking up in the air for a brown oblong thing being thrown and to try to catch it in their hands and run with it on the football field.After getting over the initial shock of having something thrown at them besides flags, they are making progress.
                                            • The running game appears to be in good hands, er, feet.There are currently 49 running backs listed on the roster including 12 move-ins, six recruited from the band because they had good speed, and a guy named Gerald who just happened to be delivering pizza to the coaches and was issued a uniform.He goes by the nickname “Deep Dish”.
                                            • In honor of recently retired HC Steve Lineweaver, the players will form a giant hat on the field before the first game while singing “It’s a Wonderful Life.”The fake punt has been renamed “the Lineweaver” in his honor.
                                            • The defensive line appears to be very good.This group has size, speed, depth and great hair. Redken has expressed an interest in being a team sponsor. A move-in from American Samoa will open a few eyes this fall although members of the team appear to already be tired of hearing him yell “you want Samoa of this?” after every tackle.
                                            • The team will unveil new uniforms for the first game.The uniforms will feature vertical stripes, which are much more slimming and flattering.

Comment

• SLC13
                                              • Apr 2015

Countdown to kickoff: Haltom looks to erase last season’s woes

Last season: 0-10 (0-6 District 7-6A)

Key players: QB/RB Imiee Cooksey (5-11, 175), WR Jacob Martinez (5-6, 150), TE Matt Espinosa (6-1, 225), DL Tyree Smith (6-0, 269), LB Gavin Ricks (5-11, 210), LB Zach Smith (5-10, 195), DB Austin Cooksey (5-10, 165), DB Deonta Cooksey (5-10, 170).

The big picture: Haltom is led by three sets of siblings who could help snap the Buffalos’ 16-game losing streak and more. The youngest of the Cooksey trio is Imiee, who will play several skill positions. Older brothers Austin and Deonta are the two returning starters that will headline the secondary. Along the defensive line is first-team selection Tyree Smith, and younger brother Zach will join second-team selection Gavin Ricks at linebacker. Coach Jason Tucker will run a two-tight-end set with Matt Espinosa and Taylor Lunkwitz, who will also play linebacker. Tucker’s offensive line is new, but with two tight ends, it’ll allow for more blockers for Imiee and playmaker Jacob Martinez. The third set of siblings are Dalton (tackle) and Hunter Holdsclaw (defensive end). After a great summer, Tucker and the Buffalos think they can win some games and get out of the cellar of one of the best districts in the state.

Quotable
                                              “Our team has worked really hard this off-season and throughout the summer. We’re going to be young as a team. Our defensive line should be the strongest unit going into the season.” — Coach Jason Tucker
                                              “Our team has had a lot of success this summer, physically and mentally. This year will be different because we’ve developed some vocal leaders.” — LB Gavin Ricks
                                              “People should look out for Haltom because we’re a totally different team with a lot of weapons in our arsenal.” — Ricks
                                              “This summer was different from all the others — intensity, atmosphere was different. It felt like we actually wanted to win.” — OL Edgardo Magdaleno

Notable: The Buffalos will host Grand Prairie on Aug. 28 to begin the season. Grand Prairie won last season’s opener 31-14. Haltom’s last nonlosing season came in 2005 (5-5 record) and the team has two playoffappearances since 2000 (2000, 2009).

Comment

• Super B
                                                All District
                                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Trojanbacker2
                                                I have been able to observe a few practices both in the spring and this summer. Here are a few of my observations:
                                                • The impact of the new offensive coordinator is obvious.QB’s have been working hard on their footwork, reads and throwing motion.They are now capable of overthrowing their receivers by a much greater distance and with much better form.
                                                • Much of last year’s offensive line is gone and the new unit is a work in progress at this point.This year’s group appears to have good size but their holding technique needs a lot of work.The term “pass protection” has been introduced to them and they seem to have a passing understanding of the term.
                                                • With the new Head Coach also comes possible changes to the Haka.During the spring they were experimenting with more of a chorus line approach, heavy on high-kicks.The team was given the assignment of watching “So You Think You Can Dance” this summer with an eye on improving their technique.
                                                • There will be more passing this season.Receivers have been drilled on looking up in the air for a brown oblong thing being thrown and to try to catch it in their hands and run with it on the football field.After getting over the initial shock of having something thrown at them besides flags, they are making progress.
                                                • The running game appears to be in good hands, er, feet.There are currently 49 running backs listed on the roster including 12 move-ins, six recruited from the band because they had good speed, and a guy named Gerald who just happened to be delivering pizza to the coaches and was issued a uniform.He goes by the nickname “Deep Dish”.
                                                • In honor of recently retired HC Steve Lineweaver, the players will form a giant hat on the field before the first game while singing “It’s a Wonderful Life.”The fake punt has been renamed “the Lineweaver” in his honor.
                                                • The defensive line appears to be very good.This group has size, speed, depth and great hair. Redken has expressed an interest in being a team sponsor. A move-in from American Samoa will open a few eyes this fall although members of the team appear to already be tired of hearing him yell “you want Samoa of this?” after every tackle.
                                                • The team will unveil new uniforms for the first game.The uniforms will feature vertical stripes, which are much more slimming and flattering.

Brilliant. Yes. I do want Samoa of this. ^^^
                                                Super B

Comment

• Trinity Dad
                                                  Practice Squad
                                                  • Jul 2015

Okay, I posted these on the other board, should have gone here first:

From the Startlegram.com:

Newcomers meet
                                                  Colleyville Heritage coach Joe Willis and Arlington Lamar coach Laban DeLay are both taking over high-profile programs.
                                                  The coaches lauded their teams’ effort and energy in the scrimmage at Cravens Field. Both teams moved the ball well at times and both defenses playing well at times.
                                                  Colleyville Heritage started the controlled scrimmage strong against the run, outside of a long touchdown run by Lamar’s Kendall Burt. The Panthers intercepted a pass early, but Lamar quarterback Shane Buechele was able to move the ball through the air consistently.
                                                  The Vikings opened the live scrimmage driving 70 yards in 12 plays behind a balanced attack. Buechele capped the drive with a 6-yard TD pass to Draven Cantly.
                                                  The Panthers answered as quarterback Cam Roane completed 3 of 4 passes, including a 16-yarder for a score.
                                                  “There was a couple of kids that got banged up and I need to go check on them, but that’s probably my biggest concern,” DeLay said.
                                                  “We got some great work and we got out healthy,” Willis said. “That was our goal today.”
                                                  — Darren Lauber

Overtime rules

Euless Trinity and Denton Guyer had one final tuneup before opening the season against marquee matchups.
                                                  After a number of drives with limited plays, both teams had good moments on offense and defense. Nearly 90 minutes passed before overtime rules came into effect, and Guyer coach John Walsh and Trinity quarterback Tyler Natee did rock-paper-scissors instead of a coin flip to see who’d be on offense first.
                                                  Each team ran through it once, with Guyer scoring on a 41-yard field goal.
                                                  A final eight minutes was put on the clock and each team scored on long touchdown runs, Guyer going 65 yards before Trinity went for 83 yards.
                                                  Trinity, ranked No. 8 in the AP Preseason Class 6A poll, takes on national powerhouse Concord La Salle (Calif.) on Aug. 29 at Newsom Stadium on ESPN (8 p.m.). Guyer, No. 9, opens on the road Aug. 28 against three-time defending champ Allen (7:30 p.m.).
                                                  The Trojans enter the Chris Jensen era and it seemed Trinity was sitting some star players for De La Salle, including running back Ja’Ron Wilson and highly recruited defensive end Chris Daniels.
                                                  — Brian Gosset

Mixed signals
                                                  It appears the quarterback duties are not settled for Southlake Carroll.
                                                  Senior Montana Murphy and junior Mason Holmes got 50-50 reps in the scrimmage against Duncanville at Dragon Stadium.
                                                  Murphy started the 11-on-11 portion going 4 of 8 for 65 yards and a touchdown pass to Kameron Duhon. Murphy finished the scrimmage 7 of 17 for 86 yards, and Holmes was 3-of-7 for 12 yards and an interception.
                                                  “It’s still a situation that’s to be determined,” Carroll coach Hal Wasson said.
                                                  Neither quarterback was live in any session, so there were no draw plays or running options that might have opened up the passing game.
                                                  “In Montana’s defense, he missed all spring with an injury, but I think he does some really good things,” Wasson added. “I think with his reads and our speed-up process, we can get a bit better with that.
                                                  “Mason brings a great attitude and some other things to the position where we can win with either guy.”
                                                  Duhon’s TD catch was Carroll’s only score in the 11-man session (he had three catches for 52 yards). Duncanville scored three rushing touchdowns. Two of those runs were for 63 and 61 yards, but the Dragons’ defense stiffened in the final two timed periods to shut out the Panthers and force a couple of turnovers.
                                                  “I thought in the scrimmage portion we showed our youth a little bit there,” Wasson said. “But once we got into the game portion we got into a little bit better attitude.”
                                                  Running back Lil’Jordan Humphrey did not play, despite suiting out for the scrimmage. That left rushing duties to backup Shemar Coleman, who carried six times for 50 yards.
                                                  — Kevin Casas

From the DMN:

Euless Trinity 31, Denton Guyer 19
                                                  Running back Tyler Gomez' 112 yards and Alex Dam's 97 rushing yards led Euless Trinity to a 31-19 win over Denton Guyer at Pennington Field Friday night in both teams' preseason scrimmage.
                                                  Trinity won a controlled part of the scrimmage in which both squads traded 12-play possessions.
                                                  Guyer opened the scoring with No. 33 running 51 yards for a touchdown, but it was Trinity that reeled off three unanswered touchdowns from Gomez twice and Dam once.
                                                  Guyer answered with a Austin Lee 20-yard touchdown pass to Manuel Rodarte.
                                                  TCU commit and Guyer junior quarterback Shawn Robinson was held without a touchdown and threw an interception.
                                                  The teams followed the possessions with a simulated overtime situation where both ended up missing field goals.
                                                  Following overtime, the teams played an eight-minute quarter and after 5:11 of scoreless ball, Noah Cain went 60 yards for Guyer, but after Guyer recovered an onside kick, Trinity's defense held tough by forcing an interception by Lee.
                                                  Trent Thomas then iced the game with a 83-yard touchdown run.
                                                  Cain finished as Guyer's leading rusher with 87 yards and was trailed by No. 33 with 67 yards.
                                                  Guyer will open its season at Allen next Friday, while Trinity faces De La Salle on an ESPN network Saturday from Newsom Stadium.

More from the DMN:

Coppell 21, Midlothian 13
                                                  Coppell was able to hold off Midlothian 21-13 in preseason scrimmageFriday at home.
                                                  Both teams started slow on offense, going three-and-out on their first series, but Coppell took the reigns in the scrimmage scoring on its next two series to go up 14-0.
                                                  Coppell in the two, game-like scrimmage quarters was able to run the ball efficiently (16 carries for 113 yards and three rushing touchdowns) and completed 10-of-14 passes for 100 yards with Myles Paschall throwing 8-of-11 for 70.
                                                  Midlothian stayed with a ground-and-pound attack the entire scrimmage, utilizing a wishbone offense first-year coach Doug Wendel brought with him from Oklahoma.
                                                  Midlothian ran the ball for 18 times totaling 138 yards, led by Jerreth Stern (49 yards on four carries and a touchdown) and Jabrelan Esparza (three rushes, 40 yards and a score).
                                                  Coppell opens its season Friday at Hebron, while Midlothian will start the 2015 slate at home against Waxahachie.

Comment

• Super B
                                                    All District
                                                    • Apr 2015

^^^^ Here is what stood out to me the most after reading all that. VVVV

What!!! Midlothian is running the Wishbone???
                                                    Super B

Comment

• SLC13
                                                      • Apr 2015

^^^^ Here is what stood out to me the most after reading all that. VVVV

What!!! Midlothian is running the Wishbone???
                                                      That what happens when you hire an Okie coach. He probably thinks losing by 30 rather than 60 to Desoto and CH will make him a hero in Midlo.

Comment

• Super B
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

Don't forget to get your picks in for the 7-6A Prediction Contest. See that thread here.

Here are my predictions.

Trinity 4-0 6-0 10-0
                                                        SLC 2-2 5-1 7-3
                                                        Heritage 3-1 4-2 7-3
                                                        Coppell 1-3 3-3 4-6
                                                        Bell 2-2 2-4 4-6
                                                        Richland 1-3 1-5 2-8
                                                        Haltom 1-3 0-6 1-9
                                                        ​Reports out Colleywood are very positive. Heritage will be the surprise team of the district. They are going to push some teams who would have otherwise never expected it. I came very close to picking them to go 4-0 in non-district. Just playing the odds, I figure they lose to either Abilene or Bowie. I am thinking at this point Bowie. I may change my mind. I think they win vs. Coppell pulling away at the end. They lose a much closer than expected game vs. SLC.

SLC IMO loses to Westlake, Union and Trinity. That is a difficult task for a road team. All three of these games were very close last year, but the fact they are traveling 200&280 miles, playing Trinity AND I am skeptical about their QB situation, I think these are competitive losses.

​Coppell loses to Boyd, BA, CHill, SLC, Heritage & Trinity. This may be a swing and a miss, but this is how I see it.

Bell will be much more competitive this year. They are a year away from getting back to the playoffs. They are not quite ready to overtake Coppell.

Richland will pay for keeping their nickname. All hail the ultra sensitive political correctness libs!

Haltom still sucks.
                                                        Last edited by Super B; 08-22-2015, 03:52 PM.
                                                        Super B

Comment

• Trinity Dad
                                                          Practice Squad
                                                          • Jul 2015

Don't forget to get your picks in for the 7-6A Prediction Contest. See that thread here.

​Reports out Colleywood are very positive. Heritage will be the surprise team of the district. They are going to push some teams who would have otherwise never expected it. I came very close to picking them to go 4-0 in non-district. Just playing the odds, I figure they lose to either Abilene or Bowie. I am thinking at this point Bowie. I may change my mind. I think they win vs. Coppell pulling away at the end. They lose a much closer than expected game vs. SLC.

SLC IMO loses to Westlake, Union and Trinity. That is a difficult task for a road team. All three of these games were very close last year, but the fact they are traveling 200&280 miles, playing Trinity AND I am skeptical about their QB situation, I think these are competitive losses.

​Coppell loses to Boyd, BA, CHill, SLC, Heritage & Trinity. This may be a swing and a miss, but this is how I see it.

Bell will be much more competitive this year. They are a year away from getting back to the playoffs. They are not quite ready to overtake Coppell.

Richland will pay for keeping their nickname. All hail the ultra sensitive political correctness libs!

Haltom still sucks.

Your predictions are just about how I would revise mine today, with the possible exception of one more pre-district win for SLC. I should have voted my gut and lifted Heritage over Coppell.

Comment

• SLC13
                                                            • Apr 2015

Countdown to kickoff: Colleyville Heritage welcomes new coach

By Gary T. Skrehart
                                                            gskrehart@star-telegram.com

Colleyville Heritage
                                                            District: 7-6A
                                                            Last season: 5-6, 3-3 in District 7-6A

Key players: DB Reid Harrison-Ducros (5-11, 171), OL Trey Poirier (6-2, 260), OL Nick Walters, (6-3, 240), RB Jamarie Williams (6-1, 192), WR Cole Carter (6-0, 190), DL Ke’Andre Johnson (5-9, 275), K Max Allen (5-9, 160).

The big picture: Colleyville Heritage made the playoffs last year and appear to have an opportunity to improve on a 5-6 record. Most of the increased expectations are based on the addition of new head coach Joe Willis. His first practices at Heritage showed that Willis brings an increased intensity. Willis previously coached at Cedar Park, where an impressive 37-8 record included the team to a Class 4A Division I championship in 2012. He also guided Cedar Park to the Class 5A Division II championship game last season and came close to toppling powerhouse Ennis before falling 38-35.

The Panthers, with five returning starters on offense and two on defense, always have a good number of athletes to build around. It starts with one of the better offensive lines in the area. It will be anchored by returning starters Trey Poirier and Nick Walters. Both received all-district honors last season and will provide senior leadership. A challenge will be replacing all-district running back DeMarco Corbin and his 1,011 rushing yards. Senior Jamarie Williams looks to be the answer. Williams had a better yards-per-carry average than Corbin and accounted for almost 500 yards rushing last year. The biggest question on offense will be the quarterback slot vacated by the graduation of Trevor Anderson.

There is potential for a big uptick if Grapevine Faith transfer Cam Roane (6-2, 196) is the real deal. He passed for more than 3,000 yards as a sophomore at Grapevine Faith. The other contender for playing time is Jacob Sheppard, who is moving up from the junior varsity. The defense may be a bigger challenge for Willis, with only two returning starters, but one of those is probably one of the most underrated and best defensive linemen in the area, Ke’Andre Johnson. District 7-6A is one of the better districts in the area but it is top-heavy with the two powerhouses, Southlake Carroll and Euless Trinity, and gives Colleyville Heritage a chance to repeat last year’s playoff appearance if they can win against the remainder of the district.

Quotable
                                                            “Colleyville Heritage has a history of success and it is expected. That is how it should be, and the job here is make that winning attitude a part of everyone’s mindset.” — Coach Joe Willis
                                                            “Goals for the season? Be 1-0. You take it a game at a time and the goal is to win that game and every week win that game.” — Willis
                                                            “I think the coaching changes have actually helped the team. It forces you to come together to face that challenge. You can feel a difference this year and I think we have come together as a team” — DB Reid Harrison-Ducros

Notable: Joe Willis is the third coach to lead the Panthers in three seasons. Colleyville Heritage made to the playoffs last year, despite a decline in wins over the past three seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎